US - Shots fired at Donald Trump rally in Pennsylvania as former president is seen with blood across his face, 13 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
17 min ago

Secret Service director is "confident" in security plan for RNC convention
From CNN's Antoinette Radford

The US Secret Service director on Monday sought to assure Americans that there is ample security in place for the upcoming RNC convention following the assassination attempt against Donald Trump.

“I am confident in the security plan our Secret Service RNC coordinator and our partners have put in place, which we have reviewed and strengthened in the wake of Saturday’s shooting,” Kimberly Cheatle wrote in a statement.

Cheatle addressed the USSS’ presence at the Trump rally on Saturday, first extending her condolences to the friends and family of Corey Comperatore, a firefighter who was killed at the rally in Butler, Pennsylvania.

She said agents at the scene “moved quickly during the incident, with our counter sniper team neutralizing the shooter and our agents implementing protective measures to ensure the safety of former president Donald Trump.”

Cheatle also confirmed that the Secret Service was engaged in an independent review announced by President Joe Biden to “understand what happened, how it happened and how we can prevent an incident like this from ever taking place again.”

“In addition to the additional security enhancements we provided former President Trump’s detail in June, we have also implemented changes to his security detail since Saturday to ensure his continued protection for the convention and the remainder of the campaign,” she said.

23 min ago

Capitol Police operating in heightened threat environment in lead up to conventions
From CNN's Holmes Lybrand

In a statement on the assassination attempt of former President Donald Trump, Capitol Police say they are already “operating in a heightened threat environment” due to threats against lawmakers.

Capitol Police added that they “have been working with our federal, state and local partners on a comprehensive security plan to protect the Members of Congress” during both the Republican National Convention and the Democratic National Convention.

As CNN previously reported, Capitol Police are planning to send more than 300 officers to help with security to both the RNC from July 15 to 18 and the DNC from August 19 to 22 – the largest-ever deployment of officers from the department to an event outside of DC.

I can't help thinking this is why Corey Comperatore died and the other two males were critically injured.
Crooks knew the jig was up and he went into motion.

Another thing I'm questioning - why didn't the two snipers on the roof near the platform, get a radio communication to take him out in the time between when he was initally seen and when he began to fire? The cop who climbed up there knew about it, why didn't the two snipers? Do I not have these details right, if so - someone please correct me.
Massive communication failures ??
Omo.

This is still mindboggling to me also. To see that many people collectively still, barely ducking, maybe all simultaneously in shock or confused? But not one person running. It was just surprising to see what the surrounding crowd did.
I think with other shootings, the gunman is not far away and it's immediately obvious what is happening because people close to the shooter can see a gun and they are witnessing people being shot up close. This situation was different in that the gunman was hidden and further away. I have seen witnesses say they thought it was fireworks. I can understand in this situation people not being panicked and running because I don't think most knew what was happening in the moment. Maybe those close to the victims understood it much sooner, but the majority of the crowd likely had no idea. I'd say that probably saved lives or at least prevented more serious injuries from people being trampled in the panic.

I think with other shootings, the gunman is not far away and it's immediately obvious what is happening because people close to the shooter can see a gun and they are witnessing people being shot up close. This situation was different in that the gunman was hidden and further away. I have seen witnesses say they thought it was fireworks. I can understand in this situation people not being panicked and running because I don't think most knew what was happening in the moment. Maybe those close to the victims understood it much sooner, but the majority of the crowd likely had no idea. I'd say that probably saved lives or at least prevented more serious injuries from people being trampled in the panic.

Absolutely. That makes the most sense. Last thing you’d expect at something like that would be a sniper on a nearby roof. I’m glad there wasn’t mass hysteria and trampling as you and others have pointed out, there might have been even more injuries and casualties.

"The King has written privately to former President Trump after he survived an assassination attempt, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

The message was delivered on Sunday via the UK embassy in Washington DC.

The contents of the letter have not been made public, but the BBC understands the sentiments are in keeping with those communicated by the prime minister over the weekend."

I actually thought this made her message sound more authentic.
Melania is Slovenian by birth and English could well be her fourth or fifth language.
I don’t think it sounds like AI at all but like a highly eloquent person who is writing in her non-native language without editors picking her words apart.
I found it charming that Melania’s words could well be her very own with little (if any) correction for minor grammatical issues.
It sounds like these were her own heartfelt words.

Just imho
And I would imagine melania was a little shook up her son was very close to losing his dad and she her husband I gather melania would not be thinking along the lines oh a candidate in a presidential race was almost assassinated she would clearly be writing this piece as a wife and mother imo

And I would imagine melania was a little shook up her son was very close to losing his dad and she her husband I gather melania would not be thinking along the lines oh a candidate in a presidential race was almost was assassinated she would clearly be writing this piece as a wife and mother imo
Exactly, which is why she asks everyone to remember that every candidate is also a person loved by their family. Fully agree.

The Secret Service had designated that rooftop as being under the jurisdiction of local law enforcement, a common practice in securing outdoor rallies, Guglielmi said.Butler County District Attorney Richard Goldinger said his office maintains an Emergency Services Unit team, which deployed four sniper teams and four “quick response teams” at the rally. But he said the Secret Service agents were in charge of security outside the venue.

Specific to the first responder (a Municipal officer) who acted on reports of a gunman on the roof, prior to any shots being fired by TC at the Trump event in Butler, PA, my post was not taken from any anonymous official but directly from the Butler County Sheriff Michael Slupe who confirmed to KDKA-TV as follows-- and none involved the use of a ladder:

7/14/2024
[..]

Butler County Sheriff Michael Slupe confirmed to KDKA-TV that an armed municipal officer with Butler Township encountered shooter Thomas Crooks before he fired shots from a rooftop building outside the perimeter of former President Trump's rally.

[..]

"All I know is the officer had both hands on the roof to get up on the roof, never made it because the shooter had turned towards the officer, and rightfully and smartly, the officer let go," Sheriff Slupe said.

[..]

Sheriff Slupe said this officer was hoisted by another officer to the roof of a building where the shooter had taken a position.

The shooter, Crooks, focused his rifle on the officer who let go and fell off the roof.
Then, the 20-year-old began firing into the crowd.

[..]

While Sheriff Slupe believes there was a security failure, he is not ready to expand on how or why Crooks was able to go undetected.

"I don't want to say this or that when I don't know. Let's be fair, let's let the investigation take its course, and we are all going to learn something from this. There is not just one entity responsible; the Secret Service plays a key role in protecting, in this case, former President Trump, but they don't act alone. The Secret Service receives support from local police departments."

"There is an immediate ring around Trump, which is manned by the Secret Service, but then, there is a secondary ring further out, which is manned largely by local and state police. The assailant was in that secondary ring."

A Secret Service spokesperson confirmed to KDKA-TV that the agency relied on local police at the Trump rally to fill out parts of its specialized protective units.

ETA: To be clear, I'm not disputing any agency used a ladder to get to the roof tops on Saturday, just that no ladder was used by the Municipal officer who first encountered the shooter, TC.
So it appears that the first LE officer to try to get on the roof didn't use a ladder.

Did TC use a ladder? Probably. JMO.

I was struck by how many people remained upright during the whole ordeal, instead of ducking, fleeing.

I think some were as/more concerned about Trump than themselves, and if needed, would have taken a bullet for him.
What I don't get is Secret Service knows that the shooter is down but no one knows if there's a 2nd + shooter and they leave Trump standing there in the open for seconds after he says "let me get my shoe(s) and they get it.

I get so sick of hearing these mass shooters were "bullied". Cry me a river. Almost everyone is bullied at some point in their school years and much of the time girls get far worse harassment (often sexually motivated) than boys do, yet the cases of female mass shooters are incredibly rare. Being bullied should not be an acceptable excuse to take innocent lives- lives who had nothing to do with the supposed bullying! JMO of course and may sound heartless but I really have zero sympathy for people who do things like this.

I agree girls/women are sexually harrassed, molested and raped, and bullied in school and still aren't the majority of mass shooters, but for some reason when boys are bullied, molested, abused, and raped they snap into hyperviolence.
It might be that society expects men to react to abuse with violence and women are taught to grieve "just accept it?". I really don't know there are lots of studies about it but when boys/men are abused they snap violently.

So it appears that the first LE officer to try to get on the roof didn't use a ladder.

Did TC use a ladder? Probably. JMO.

it's possible that after TC got up on the saddle roof, that he pulled the ladder back up with him to remove the hint that someone was on the roof.

I'm wondering is then the officers heard or saw him up there and then hoisted the other one up.

What I don't get is Secret Service knows that the shooter is down but no one knows if there's a 2nd + shooter and they leave Trump standing there in the open for seconds after he says "let me get my shoe(s) and they get it.
Good observation. I hadn’t thought about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asset Locator