US Soldier Detained in North Korea

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is it possible that he had a previous relationship with the government or a person in North Korea? (not acusing him of spying, I just can't think of another reason he would cross into North Korea)
It's definitely possible it seems. Details aren't really forthcoming. Or he could have decided he'd rather live there than go back the US. He's not the first person who willingly defected there.

It's definitely possible it seems. Details aren't really forthcoming. Or he could have decided he'd rather live there than go back the US. He's not the first person who willingly defected there.
I think this man is tragically experiencing a mental health crisis. He was in danger of being kicked out of the military and his nephew he loved so deeply just passed away. :(
I think he is really struggling, because he doesn't get in trouble, and yet in South Korea he was arrested and acting erratically.

I think this man is tragically experiencing a mental health crisis. He was in danger of being kicked out of the military and his nephew he loved so deeply just passed away. :(
I think he is really struggling, because he doesn't get in trouble, and yet in South Korea he was arrested and acting erratically.

this is what I've been leaning towards
but it won't matter to the North Koreans
I'm just so scared for him and his family

- The United States has declined so far to classify Army Private Travis King as a prisoner of war, despite his being taken into North Korean custody after he crossed into the country last month, four U.S. officials told Reuters.

The decision, which could mean King is not covered by the protections entitled to prisoners of war under the Geneva Convention, is highly sensitive for the U.S. military given its commitment to leave no soldier behind enemy lines…

As an active-duty soldier he might appear to qualify as a POW, given that the United States and North Korea technically remain at war. The 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty.

But factors including King's decision to cross into North Korea of his own free will, in civilian attire, appear to have disqualified him from that status, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

- The United States has declined so far to classify Army Private Travis King as a prisoner of war, despite his being taken into North Korean custody after he crossed into the country last month, four U.S. officials told Reuters.

The decision, which could mean King is not covered by the protections entitled to prisoners of war under the Geneva Convention, is highly sensitive for the U.S. military given its commitment to leave no soldier behind enemy lines…

As an active-duty soldier he might appear to qualify as a POW, given that the United States and North Korea technically remain at war. The 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice rather than a peace treaty.

But factors including King's decision to cross into North Korea of his own free will, in civilian attire, appear to have disqualified him from that status, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

yep sounds accurate

A statement from the country’s government-controlled Korean Central News Agency claimed King had expressed “his willingness to seek refugee” in North Korea or a third country.

It also claimed King confessed that he had decided to enter North Korea as “he harbored ill feeling against inhuman maltreatment and racial discrimination within the U.S. Army.”

King had crossed the military demarcation line from South Korea into North Korea in July during a tour at the Joint Security Area.

KCNA added that he had admitted of “illegally” intruding into the territory of North Korea.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/15/asia/north-korea-travis-king-third-country- intl/index.html

@sds71 ; Thanks for the link and update !
Still smh.

If I was going to seek refuge from maltreatment ... I'd still not make the choices Travis made.
Wonder if he's changed his mind yet ?

Very sad for his family, they have to be sick with worry.
Esp. if he hasn't been able to contact them at all, via phone call or email ?
Omo.

Last edited:

A statement from the country’s government-controlled Korean Central News Agency claimed King had expressed “his willingness to seek refugee” in North Korea or a third country.

It also claimed King confessed that he had decided to enter North Korea as “he harbored ill feeling against inhuman maltreatment and racial discrimination within the U.S. Army.”

King had crossed the military demarcation line from South Korea into North Korea in July during a tour at the Joint Security Area.

KCNA added that he had admitted of “illegally” intruding into the territory of North Korea.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/15/asia/north-korea-travis-king-third-country- intl/index.html
I’m not sure he will find a racial utopia there. Let’s hope he comes out of it okay and can get treatment and face the consequences of his actions leading up to all this.

Gotta wonder how this is working out for Travis now. Don't imagine he's encountered much in the way of kindness and understanding.......

Wondering whether we will ever hear any more about this.

The silence is to be expected from that nation.
Why did Travis do this ?
Was it just the upcoming military disciplinary action against him ?
To risk possible death as an alternative seems wildly unrealistic, but we don't know what he was thinking.

Being stationed in SK would've given him better knowledge about NK than many of us have, as so little leaks out.
My guess is they will keep him for some kind of leverage.
I'm on the fence as to whether the U.S. should pay any amount to secure his release, since he acted on his own volition ?

For his families' sake, perhaps ?
I still feel for them.
Just a terrible situation.
Omo.

Travis King: North Korea to deport US soldier who crossed border​

North Korea says it will deport US soldier Travis King who ran across the border from South Korea during a tour in July.

Pyongyang would deport him after finishing its investigation into King's "illegal" entry, state news agency KNCA said.

KCNA did not specify how, when or to where King would be expelled.

The 23-year-old private was on a guided tour when he separated from the group and ran across the border.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back