US Virgin Is - Sarm Joan Lillian Heslop, 41, British, aboard vessel Siren Song, St. John, 7 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a boat owner who lives part time on my vessel, I can tell you this... I have more cleaning supplies on my boat then I do at my house.
Mold is a constant issue as are smells.
You have holding tanks for waste, so you carry it around with you until you can have someone come pump it out, or you go to a pumping station and pump it out yourself.
I go through so much bleach! I bleach everything. I'm sure he does too.
Why not allow them on the boat? To make sure he's done a very thorough cleaning imo.
"According to published reports, Bane has not granted access to the VIPD to search his 47-foot catamaran Siren Song ever since Heslop disappeared."

Now why on earth would you do that???

And more... Mr. Bane has a lawyer according to msm:

Bane could not be reached for comment on Heslop's disappearance. His legal counsel, David Cattie, released a statement on his behalf.

"Mr. Bane will not be sitting for any interviews," the statement said. "Mr. Bane's only hope is that Sarm is found alive and well. His thoughts and prayers are with Sarm and her family during this difficult time.

"Mr. Bane has spent countless hours searching for Sarm and will continue to do so. Ryan is devastated that Sarm is missing."
Friend of British woman missing in Virgin Islands calls for search of American boyfriend's yacht

Curious.

Sounds like the statement you make when you’re representing a murderer. It looks like his lawyer is a civil employment lawyer. I’d get myself a criminal lawyer if my husband went missing on a tiny boat I wouldn’t let anyone search.

Hi Alethea, a 47 foot catamaran is definitely not a "tiny" boat. It is a full fledged "Yacht".

BTW, after these new articles saying that he has not allowed them to search the vessel, I now consider that whatever happened could have happened on the yacht after all. I cannot see any other reason that he would not allow them to search the vessel, other then to try to make sure that he had gotten rid of all blood evidence.

*Anyone know if a cadaver dog could pick up smells of death if bleach had been used for clean up*?
I'm leaning towards they probably could not, but, I'm not sure.

The next problem, if he did hurt/kill her and do a clean up is- where to put the dirty rags etc. from the clean-up? Remember, he's moored in the ocean.

I guess the same night, (during the 10 hours he didn't report her missing), he could have cleaned up, then used the dingy, to transport the dirty rags to shore to dispose of them. The water is so clear there, that if he threw them into the ocean, they could be spotted and retrieved.

Sounds like the statement you make when you’re representing a murderer. It looks like his lawyer is a civil employment lawyer. I’d get myself a criminal lawyer if my husband went missing on a tiny boat I wouldn’t let anyone search.

Can anyone here read this? dated March 17
Would like to know what this is about.

Dog walker heard 'scream' night Sarm Heslop vanished from boat in US Virgin Islands

From the article..

Desperate friends of Sarm said that on the night of her disappearance there was a dog walker on Frank’s Bay, where the boat was moored, who stated that at 1am he “heard a scream”.

The man came forward with the information after her friends set up the FindSarmHeslop Facebook page.

A spokesperson for the Virgin Islands Police Commissioner, said: “There may have been a noise before Sarm Heslop disappeared but we will not confirm nor deny this.

“There are always noises in this place and it could be from any one of the vessels nearby in the harbour.

“The noise was not reported at the time that it was allegedly heard by the passerby.

“We have been asked about this noise that was heard at 1 am already. Again we cannot deny nor confirm this. “

^ Thanks ! Well that's not very helpful, and sounds as if the police are kind of brushing that aside.
Could be something though, or could be nothing.

Were any other boats moored near by?

Also, do we know they were sleeping together or separately that night?

So glad this is being picked up properly by UK news finally!

Bit puzzling they have not secured a search warrant for the boat yet.

Getting a lawyer should not be a red flag generally but not allowing a search is a very big red flag.. wouldn't you want to get yourself ruled out if your girlfriend mysteriously disappeared in the middle of the night? JMO

Dog walker 'heard a scream' the night British woman went missing from | Daily Mail Online

He phoned friends of Ms Heslop but did not contact the authorities straight away because, according to friends, it was not uncommon for Ms Heslop to head off without warning.
'You might go for a night out and be sitting in the pub with her and then she'd disappear, not even say "See you tomorrow." Then the next day she'd be back. It wasn't unusual,' said Pickard.

'I wouldn't put it past her if she'd gone up [on deck] for a cigarette and someone went past on a dinghy and said "Come and party with us," she told The Times, speaking from St Barts on Wednesday where she is working as a chef on a charter yacht.

'I'm very hopeful about that. It's a slim chance,' Pickard added.

From the article..

Desperate friends of Sarm said that on the night of her disappearance there was a dog walker on Frank’s Bay, where the boat was moored, who stated that at 1am he “heard a scream”.

The man came forward with the information after her friends set up the FindSarmHeslop Facebook page.

A spokesperson for the Virgin Islands Police Commissioner, said: “There may have been a noise before Sarm Heslop disappeared but we will not confirm nor deny this.

“There are always noises in this place and it could be from any one of the vessels nearby in the harbour.

“The noise was not reported at the time that it was allegedly heard by the passerby.

“We have been asked about this noise that was heard at 1 am already. Again we cannot deny nor confirm this. “

Missing Person: Sarm Heslop
Facebook page

Hi Alethea, a 47 foot catamaran is definitely not a "tiny" boat. It is a full fledged "Yacht".

BTW, after these new articles saying that he has not allowed them to search the vessel, I now consider that whatever happened could have happened on the yacht after all. I cannot see any other reason that he would not allow them to search the vessel, other then to try to make sure that he had gotten rid of all blood evidence.

*Anyone know if a cadaver dog could pick up smells of death if bleach had been used for clean up*?
I'm leaning towards they probably could not, but, I'm not sure.

The next problem, if he did hurt/kill her and do a clean up is- where to put the dirty rags etc. from the clean-up? Remember, he's moored in the ocean.

I guess the same night, (during the 10 hours he didn't report her missing), he could have cleaned up, then used the dingy, to transport the dirty rags to shore to dispose of them. The water is so clear there, that if he threw them into the ocean, they could be spotted and retrieved.
The odor target of a cadaver is based on 'volatile organic compounds that in a certain configuration are received by the dog as a receptor. (NOTE: Despite considerable research and analytical investigation the compounds cannot as yet be replicated in laboratory processes so the "alert" to the dogs without a tangible source has not been forensically proven yet.)

Recognition of that "scent" then gives a conditioned response which is the dog alerting his/her handler (often sitting with a "bark")

Cadaver scent cannot readily be removed by cleaning as the compounds adhere to surfaces. The scent can be 'masked' by bleach and other strong smelling odors but the dog's olfactory system is able to isolate the odors and identify specific compounds' and mixes.

Dog walker 'heard a scream' the night British woman went missing from | Daily Mail Online

He phoned friends of Ms Heslop but did not contact the authorities straight away because, according to friends, it was not uncommon for Ms Heslop to head off without warning.
'You might go for a night out and be sitting in the pub with her and then she'd disappear, not even say "See you tomorrow." Then the next day she'd be back. It wasn't unusual,' said Pickard.

'I wouldn't put it past her if she'd gone up [on deck] for a cigarette and someone went past on a dinghy and said "Come and party with us," she told The Times, speaking from St Barts on Wednesday where she is working as a chef on a charter yacht.

'I'm very hopeful about that. It's a slim chance,' Pickard added.

I wonder if "friend of the couple" means "friend of the boyfriend" because wow. :eek:

The bf has done a lot of sailing around these islands. Bet he knows every little hidden or remote cove around there.

When I was in my very early 20's I bartended during college and many of my friends that made bartending their full time profession went to USVI from Fall-Winter season being that we are in the North East and The Beach is a spring-summer tourist destination. Long story short my good friend moved to USVI and I went to visit, he lived in "the mountains" and there are a MILLION places to dump a body that no one would even think to look, Saint John too especially in the "nature preserve area" . It's definitely a safe island in comparison to say Kingston Jamaica but it's not a place I'd just hop on someone's boat and take off and I'm not exactly a super safe kind of person (more so shocked I survived my 20's but even I wouldn't do that).

Ms Mogridge-Percy, who worked as a member of Flybe's cabin crew with Ms Heslop, said Heslop met Bane in the Caribbean but had recently been living and working in Malta.

"But she missed the Caribbean life and her boyfriend so she made the long trip over to the American Virgin Islands - she'd only been there for a couple of weeks."

Sarm Heslop: Friends thank Caribbean search helpers

Last edited:
I wonder if "friend of the couple" means "friend of the boyfriend" because wow. :eek:

Bingo! And if it’s a friend of the boyfriend, what kind of “friend”...

I also wonder if this friend is speaking from first-hand experience or is repeating what someone else told her. Even if it’s true that she left the bar without telling the person she was with that’s quite different from disappearing from your boat in the middle of the night with none of your belongings and being gone for days on end. I would say that quite often, a person goes to a bar with a friend or with a group and wants to leave before the other person does. So who’s to say if she told them she was going to leave or if the other person just doesn’t remember that she told them?

Even if I had a friend who had left me at a bar, I would be concerned if they disappeared in the middle of the night from a boat with no ID no phone, no credit cards, no money no toiletries, no extra clothes or medication etc. and failed to contact a single person to say she is alive and well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, your friend has been missing for 11 days and all you have to say is basically (paraphrasing) "Oh well, she does that a lot, she must be off partying." Mm, okay. Even this "friend" admitted it's a slim chance.

Certainly I don't know this woman and maybe she doesn't "hear" what she's saying but IMO it's unusual for a friend to make negative comments while others are actively searching for Sarm. Wow.

Must be a heck of a party, because she's been gone 11 days.
Yes, it implies that Sarm is purposely avoiding showing herself while people, including LE, are searching for her.

IMO it's more important than ever for LE to search that boat. Were her personal belongings like ID and money left on board? Wouldn't Sarm's disappearance alone be probable cause to get a search warrant?

What's going on? Something stinks. Owning a 500k+ catamaran shouldn't put one above the law. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy