GUILTY UT - Breezy Otteson, 17, & Riley Powell, 18, found deceased, Tooele, 30 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
First post here, but have been reading this case since they w reported missing. Ran across this article just now, which gives a bit more info on Baum and how he is connected...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.he...a7de24fc-e632-5259-beb2-8fe5e15ca31f.amp.html

Link not working for me due to a redirect. Try this: https://www.heraldextra.com/news/lo...cle_a7de24fc-e632-5259-beb2-8fe5e15ca31f.html

Some quotes:
One man has been arrested by the Utah County Sheriff's Office in the case of two missing teens from Tooele for allegedly murdering them out of jealousy that his girlfriend had a male visitor in their house.
The police report states that Baum and his live-in girlfriend were first contacted by police on Jan. 9.

Baum and his girlfriend said he had not heard from the missing teens, the police report states, but a search warrant allowed law enforcement to obtain a string of Facebook messages between the girlfriend and Powell on the day the teens went missing, showing that Powell had agreed to meet at the girlfriend's house.

The girlfriend told police Powell had never arrived at her house that night, the police report states, but she later told police that the two teens had arrived at the house past midnight on Dec. 30, smoked marijuana, then left.

The girlfriend was interviewed by police again in March, when she told police that Baum later told her he knew the teens had come over to the house, and he had told her not to have male guests over and that "it was too bad, because he had never killed anyone innocent before."
The girlfriend told police that their shower smelled strongly of bleach, and that on New Year's Eve, Baum burned some stuff in a barrel that smelled like bleach and the flames were green, according to the police report.
The girlfriend also told police that Baum told her that he made Powell suffer, but that he felt bad about Otteson and made it "quick and painless."

https://www.heraldextra.com

The girlfriend was interviewed by police again in March, when she told police that Baum later told her he knew the teens had come over to the house, and he had told her not to have male guests over and that "it was too bad, because he had never killed anyone innocent before."

The girlfriend told police that their shower smelled strongly of bleach, and that on New Year's Eve, Baum burned some stuff in a barrel that smelled like bleach and the flames were green, according to the police report.

The girlfriend also told police that Baum told her that he made Powell suffer, but that he felt bad about Otteson and made it "quick and painless."

..more at link

Baum told his girlfriend he did not have time to dig a grave, the report said, and hid what the girlfriend believed to be cell phone in a sludge barrel near their house. Police were able to locate multiple destroyed phones in that barrel along with lengths of rope, used duct tape, pieces of two knife sheaths, roofing nails, baby wipes and plastic sacks.

Also in the barrel, police found a camouflage tie-down strap, similar to one found in Powell's jeep.
The girlfriend led police to the Tintic Standard No. 2 mine, where the two bodies were found Wednesday. The girlfriend also said she had driven the Jeep out to Cherry Creek where she and Baum dumped it.
After the bodies were found, the girlfriend told police she had seen Powell and Otteson tied up in the back of the Jeep the night they went missing, and Baum told her to get in the Jeep to go for a ride. She told police Baum used a knife to kill the teens before dumping them in a mine.

Both bodies recovered from the mine Wednesday had their hands bound behind their backs and had suffered multiple knife wounds, the police report says.
https://www.heraldextra.com/news/lo...cle_a7de24fc-e632-5259-beb2-8fe5e15ca31f.html

:furious:

First post here, but have been reading this case since they w reported missing. Ran across this article just now, which gives a bit more info on Baum and how he is connected...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.he...a7de24fc-e632-5259-beb2-8fe5e15ca31f.amp.html

Hopefully they have arrested her for being an accessory to murder. Wow, talk about a crazy twist in this case. Obviously, the teens knew her at least- was she a friend of one of them? Co-worker? Dealer?

Presser later today:

Jerrod William Baum, 41, was booked into the Utah County jail on suspicion of two counts of aggravated murder, two counts of aggravated kidnapping and two counts of abuse or desecration of a human body.

No other arrests have been made yet, confirmed Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon on Thursday. Cannon anticipated holding a press briefing sometime after 4 p.m. Thursday.

Baum also is on detainer by the U.S. Marshals Office and is suspected of obstruction of justice, tampering with a witness and possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, Utah County jail officials said.

Preliminary evidence suggests that the two bodies belong to Brelynne “Breezy” Otteson and Riley Powell, who were last seen in December, according to Utah County Undersheriff Darin Durfey. But he has said an autopsy is needed to confirm the identities.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/03...of-missing-teens-were-pulled-from-mine-shaft/

I wonder, did this girlfriend leave the message written in the sand? I wonder what that is all about now. If Breezy and Riley were already kidnapped and tied up, it had to be her or her monster boyfriend that did that, right?

"Also in the barrel, police found a camouflage tie-down strap, similar to one found in Powell's jeep. "

I thought they found a camouflage strap similar to that in the flap of the mother's boyfriend's truck?

Makes you wonder if they planted it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rollercoaster: for sure on this twist. Glad that the aunt was never pointing fingers at family as many here considered.

:thud:

Maybe I don't have the stomach for this forum, because this has really affected me. I'm so upset for those kids.

Maybe I don't have the stomach for this forum, because this has really affected me. I'm so upset for those kids.

I know how you feel, from my own experience on another thread. A lot of bad news concentrated here, while posters try to get involved and help figure out what happened to people, knowing most outcomes will not be good, whether from self-harm, accident or evildoers. But occasionally there are good outcomes reported, and this seems to be a good resource to follow local events that can get comparatively little widespread mainstream coverage.

Eureka man accused of murdering Eureka couple; other arrests made

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...rdering-eureka-couple-other-arrests-made.html

From link:

In 1992, when Baum was just 15, he was charged with attempted murder and 10 other charges. He stole a pickup truck from a Provo business and later a van where he found a .38-caliber handgun, and traveled to Heber City, where he stole a Trans Am. He then went to a Burger King in Orem and used the handgun to rob the business, firing at two employees who followed him into the parking lot.

While incarcerated at the Central Utah Correctional Facility in Gunnison, Baum was one of five inmates charged with more than 30 felonies in connection with a five-hour riot on Aug. 9, 1994, that caused an estimated $40,000 in damages.

Good. She's just as bad as he is. How do you live with yourself knowing a couple was murdered by your boyfriend and you witnessed their deaths, knew where their bodies were? How do you sleep at night? How? All the drugs and booze in the world wouldn't be able to erase that from my mind. Sick, sick people. Throw the book at them, lock them both up and throw away the keys.

While I in general agree with your thought process and firmly believe EVERYONE is responsible for their actions, I have to wonder if a grown woman living with a man who says she can't have any other men over (even if they are with their wives/girlfriends) unless he or his father are home, to probably be a little scared for her safety, especially when after having a man over you come out and find said man and his girlfriend tied up in a truck.... I highly doubt based on those facts this woman is working with a full set of cards, so I'm going to wait a little while to pass judgement on her...

From link:

In 1992, when Baum was just 15, he was charged with attempted murder and 10 other charges. He stole a pickup truck from a Provo business and later a van where he found a .38-caliber handgun, and traveled to Heber City, where he stole a Trans Am. He then went to a Burger King in Orem and used the handgun to rob the business, firing at two employees who followed him into the parking lot.

While incarcerated at the Central Utah Correctional Facility in Gunnison, Baum was one of five inmates charged with more than 30 felonies in connection with a five-hour riot on Aug. 9, 1994, that caused an estimated $40,000 in damages.

What do we have here? An upstanding citizen folks. Now, where's the barf emoticon.........

RIP Breezy and Riley. Justice will be served.

This makes me sick to my stomach! I can't even... He made Powell suffer? What a despicable human being.

I think the girlfriend is still not telling the whole truth. First, it was she "smelled" bleach and saw him burning things in a barrel. But, when it came right down to it, she knew where the kids were. She was there! She saw the murder - she knew it was a knife.

What really happened here? What really was the motive? Two kids. KIDS!! This is just too much! :cry: :cry:

This is one of the dumbest possible reasons to murder two teenagers. I am rattled

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nordlander
Back