UT - Colin “CJ" Haynie ,16, kills mom and 3 siblings, Grantsville, 17 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From your link Willen:

“Colin Haynie, CJ’s father and the family member who was wounded, said his son told him “his intention was to kill everyone in the house except himself,” according to charging documents filed Wednesday.”

“CJ’s mother, Consuelo Alejandra Haynie, 52, and sister, 12-year-old Milan, arrived home from school at about 1 p.m., the charging documents say. He shot both multiple times in the head and upper body. An hour later, 15-year-old Alexis arrived home and was shot multiple times in the head and upper body.”

“Then, CJ Haynie waited more than three hours for his brother Matthew, 14, to return home. The charges say he shot Matthew once in the head.”

“Shortly after 6 p.m., Colin Haynie arrived home, and CJ shot him in the leg, the documents say. The two struggled over the gun.”

“(The father) said that he told the defendant that the defendant’s mother would be sad if the defendant killed him,” the charges say. “He said the defendant told him that his mother and other siblings were already dead.”

What in the world made this young man do this? Cold and calculated -- no seeming heat of the moment here. Did something horrible happen to him? Does he have a brain injury or growth, etc., that severely changed his rational behavior? Was his hate of his family members that strong? If so why? Will we ever know?
And now his father has to deal with all of this sorrow, hurt, worry, being alone, mental pictures of what was done, planning funerals -- four caskets or urns, etc. Can you imagine that funeral?

What in the world made this young man do this? Cold and calculated -- no seeming heat of the moment here. Did something horrible happen to him? Does he have a brain injury or growth, etc., that severely changed his rational behavior? Was his hate of his family members that strong? If so why? Will we ever know?
And now his father has to deal with all of this sorrow, hurt, worry, being alone, mental pictures of what was done, planning funerals -- four caskets or urns, etc. Can you imagine that funeral?

Teen charged with fatal stabbings of mother, twin brothers

Landon Durham: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
Those same questions could be asked about this teen in Alabama. There does not appear to be a thread about his family yet.

I know there was a struggle. But what was going on during the rest of the 45 minutes between when the father came home and the neighbor showed up? That's a long time to spend with someone who is intent on killing you. That is terrifying. And the guy goes from homicidal maniac to a compliant passenger riding in a car to take his intended victim to the hospital?

This will be one interesting story when it is finally told. I hope I don't sound glib. This case has deeply affected me. I just want to understand why this happened.

I know there was a struggle. But what was going on during the rest of the 45 minutes between when the father came home and the neighbor showed up? That's a long time to spend with someone who is intent on killing you. That is terrifying. And the guy goes from homicidal maniac to a compliant passenger riding in a car to take his intended victim to the hospital?

This will be one interesting story when it is finally told. I hope I don't sound glib. This case has deeply affected me. I just want to understand why this happened.

You don't sound glib at all. This is a terrible tragedy and I feel for everyone in Grantsville. It's a such a nice, close knit community. I was a teacher in the area a few years ago and I can't imagine the devastation of losing four members of the community at the same time.

With that said, I am curious about some of the details. Did anyone hear gun shots throughout the afternoon? Other students and probably a few adults would have been home in the area. The ride to the hospital also surprises me and makes me wonder why 911 wasn't called immediately after the struggle. This family is in my prayers, and I too want to understand what drove this young man to kill his mom and siblings. I hope more information is discovered so that we can try to figure out why this happened.

You don't sound glib at all. This is a terrible tragedy and I feel for everyone in Grantsville. It's a such a nice, close knit community. I was a teacher in the area a few years ago and I can't imagine the devastation of losing four members of the community at the same time.

With that said, I am curious about some of the details. Did anyone hear gun shots throughout the afternoon? Other students and probably a few adults would have been home in the area. The ride to the hospital also surprises me and makes me wonder why 911 wasn't called immediately after the struggle. This family is in my prayers, and I too want to understand what drove this young man to kill his mom and siblings. I hope more information is discovered so that we can try to figure out why this happened.

I raised my kids in Tooele for 13 years. I still know people there and watched it all play out on SM last Friday night. My son works around the corner from the Haynie house.

This tragic case raises so many questions, some which we may never learn the answers. It is perplexing to ponder the circumstances under which the neighbor drove the father and alleged perpetrator son to the hospital instead of immediately summoning an ambulance and LE. These murders happened over the course of many hours. When someone this young (16) kills the people closest to him, mental illness is the only thing I can imagine being the trigger.

This tragic case raises so many questions, some which we may never learn the answers. It is perplexing to ponder the circumstances under which the neighbor drove the father and alleged perpetrator son to the hospital instead of immediately summoning an ambulance and LE. These murders happened over the course of many hours. When someone this young (16) kills the people closest to him, mental illness is the only thing I can imagine being the trigger.

Per MSM,the neighbor came over to the house unexpectedly to return an item they’d borrowed. I assume they saw the injured father, and either the son was starting to feel remorseful (again, per MSM, the father successfully tried to convince his son not to kill him because of how sad it would make his mother) and consented to the neighbor’s request to drive them to the hospital or the father’s request to be driven there (he may have feared calling an ambulance/911 would unsettle or “trigger” [no pun intended] the son), OR the son forced the neighbor to drive them there at gunpoint (maybe out of remorse or just a desire to not be on the hook for a fourth murder). What a brave neighbor, though, to be able to keep their cool and safely convey the gunman and a seriously injured person to the hospital!

Utah teen methodically shot dead mom and three siblings | Daily Mail Online

Pictured: Utah teen, 16, who used family handgun to 'methodically shoot dead his mother and three younger siblings' one-by-one as they returned home over a five hour period

Apparently there IS a 911 call, from the neighbor, as she was driving the father and son to the hospital. I assume the son did not have possession of the gun because in the article above, it states that dad got it during a brief struggle after dad was wounded in the leg. These family crimes are so chilling and tragic.

A neighbor called 911 at about 7pm to say she'd gone to the home and Haynie had told her he had killed his mother and siblings.

The neighbor and her husband were driving Haynie and his injured father to the hospital while she was calling 911.

TOOELE — A judge on Monday scheduled a preliminary hearing for the 17-year-old Utah boy accused of shooting and killing his mother and three of his siblings.

Third District Judge Dianna Gibson set the three-day hearing to begin next Jan. 13 to determine if prosecutors have enough evidence for the case to go to a trial.

They allege Colin Jeffery “CJ” Haynie fatally shot his mother and siblings as they returned home in stages earlier this year on Jan. 17, then tried to kill his father, who wrestled the gun away from his son after being shot in the leg.

Hearing scheduled for Utah boy accused of shooting, killing mom and three siblings

Plea deal in the works for Grantsville teen accused of killing mom, 3 siblings
Mar 22, 2021
SBM
Defense attorneys for Colin Jeffery “CJ” Haynie said Monday they have been speaking with the teenager and negotiating with prosecutors but need a bit more time. [snip] Tooele Chief Deputy County Attorney Gary Searle said that if the proposed deal comes to fruition, his office will honor the rights of the teenager and the victims, but will also prioritize community safety.

“The case is at a point where it could go in any direction,” Searle said after the hearing. “It could go to a plea agreement, it could go toward a preliminary hearing and move on to a trial. At this point there’s been no substantive hearing, so there’s no path we’re that definitely on. But as you heard in the hearing ... we’re working toward and hopefully going to reach a settlement agreement, a plea agreement.”

Haynie murders happened nearly two years ago
5 Jan 2022
SBM
...Colin Jeffery ‘CJ’ Haynie was arrested and charged with the murders. He has been held in custody for two years. Court proceedings have been held, but no trial is scheduled. Whether the case will be resolved by a plea deal or trial is yet to be determined. CJ Haynie’s next hearing is on Feb. 8.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back