UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious as to why so many posters here seem to be dead sure foul play is involved in Dylan’s disappearance (full disclosure: I’m 50/50 between foul play and voluntary disappearance/suicide).

From the beginning, Dylan’s parents have been asserting this is a case of foul play. Initially his mom stated that Dylan was dedicated only to farming and had no interest in making friends, dating, playing video games or sports, etc. We later learned that he did, in fact, have friends whom he would meet in Montello, so I’m questioning the veracity of the information coming from sources other than LE.

Aside from his parents’ testimony about his character and how he wouldn’t disappear, what concrete evidence do we really have that points to foul play?

It’s been suggested that because his truck appeared to be thoroughly washed and the seat was pushed forward, it points to foul play. But IMO I don’t see that as anything nefarious—he was living out in the middle of the desert, I’m sure vehicles get dirty quickly. If Dylan is as dedicated to his farm as is being stated, it isn’t a stretch to think he would want to keep all of his tools and equipment clean and in good working condition, which might very well include keeping the truck clean.

It’s also been suggested that the boots being left near the dirt pile points to foul play, but I’m not sure I see how that indicates foul play. It wouldn’t make any sense for someone who wanted to do harm to Dylan to remove his boots at the farm but not dump his phone and wallet as well. Additionally, without knowing whether the small amount of blood was found on the inside or the outside of the boots, it’s hard to say whether or not it could indicate foul play. I have a pain of shoes that has a small bloodstain inside because I had a blister that popped and another pair that had a tiny drop on the front of the shoe because I cut my finger and it dropped down onto my shoe. I would imagine that blisters and small cuts are not uncommon issues for farmers to encounter given the equipment they work with and the walking they have to do on the farm.

MOO I think it’s too early to conclusively say foul play in the only possibility at this point, as the evidence for it is weak at best and can easily be spun to support a voluntary disappearance/self-harm as well. While I think foul play is still a strong possibility, I also think it’s important to not pigeon-hole ourselves into thinking it is obviously foul play.
I've just watched some of the interview with Dylan's mother (and answered my own previous question!)...so the inside of the pickup was dirty/dusty and does not appear to have been cleaned, but the outside had been washed (you can actually see the hose running underneath the truck in the video). This changes my perception somewhat - previously I'd assumed the truck had been cleaned in order to hide any evidence, but if this was the case then surely you would clean the inside, not other way round. Maybe Dylan was the one cleaning the truck?

I still think it's odd that the seat was pushed forward and that the truck was in 4WD even though it didn't work and Dylan knew this, but in itself that's only odd as opposed to indicative of foul play.

I've just watched some of the interview with Dylan's mother (and answered my own previous question!)...so the inside of the pickup was dirty/dusty and does not appear to have been cleaned, but the outside had been washed (you can actually see the hose running underneath the truck in the video). This changes my perception somewhat - previously I'd assumed the truck had been cleaned in order to hide any evidence, but if this was the case then surely you would clean the inside, not other way round. Maybe Dylan was the one cleaning the truck?

I still think it's odd that the seat was pushed forward and that the truck was in 4WD even though it didn't work and Dylan knew this, but in itself that's only odd as opposed to indicative of foul play.
I wonder if there is somewhere in Montello he bought groceries or things for the farm/other necessities, that could explain why the seat was pushed forward if he moved it up to make it easier to take the bags/items out of the truck. I don’t remember reading anything about where he got his drinking water from, if he had to buy it in those refillable jugs or had a water storage tank on the property.

I wonder if there is somewhere in Montello he bought groceries or things for the farm/other necessities, that could explain why the seat was pushed forward if he moved it up to make it easier to take the bags/items out of the truck. I don’t remember reading anything about where he got his drinking water from, if he had to buy it in those refillable jugs or had a water storage tank on the property.
Quite possibly. That would certainly explain why it was moved. I very much feel like nothing really adds up here, but maybe that's just due to the highly conflicting info from LE/the family/ the fb page

Was there a well at the camper? OR did he bring water from town for drinking? Did he need to tow the camper into town intermittently to empty the black water tank & re0fill with fresh water? I expect gray water was just released?

My Dad used to full-time in an RV -- most people who do this buy packaged water instead of drinking from the trailer's water tank.

Was there a well at the camper? OR did he bring water from town for drinking? Did he need to tow the camper into town intermittently to empty the black water tank & re0fill with fresh water? I expect gray water was just released?

My Dad used to full-time in an RV -- most people who do this buy packaged water instead of drinking from the trailer's water tank.
I’m not sure, but a list of all approved, perfected, and unapproved wells in Box Elder County is available here: if there is a well on the property, it will be listed here somewhere.

The pickup truck cab was 4 door

I think that the question of whether or not someone wanted to force this young man off his land would be matter of police investigation. Since the investigation is ongoing, such questions should not be discussed.
While this could certainly be a possibility, I see this case as likely a lot more straightforward. Young man goes to watering hole and perhaps gets a bit too vocal. Fight insues and young man ends up hitting head on ground or something similar and perishes. Alternatively, someone could have gotten so agitated they pulled a knife. However, I speculate the former vs. the latter is far more likely.

I don't know if DR was known to drink too much when he went to the local bar, and whether he had a tendency to get belligerent.

The above just seems like a simple explanation for his disappearance.

I sure hope I'm wrong and he is taking a self imposed time out. This case reminds me quite a bit of the Chance Englebert disappearance. The common denominator between the cases is alcohol. I think that's likely the cause of his vanishing. Drunk, bar fight, unintentional manslaughter.

Hope I'm wrong

Amateur opinion and speculation

We all need to remember that Dylan spoke to his Grandma at 6:51 AM the day he disappeared. And last phone ping was that afternoon in 15 Mike radius of his farm. IMO, that rules out something happening in Montello. However, something could have previously happened in Montello and later carried over to the farm 30 miles away. IMO.

While this could certainly be a possibility, I see this case as likely a lot more straightforward. Young man goes to watering hole and perhaps gets a bit too vocal. Fight insues and young man ends up hitting head on ground or something similar and perishes. Alternatively, someone could have gotten so agitated they pulled a knife. However, I speculate the former vs. the latter is far more likely.

I don't know if DR was known to drink too much when he went to the local bar, and whether he had a tendency to get belligerent.

The above just seems like a simple explanation for his disappearance.

I sure hope I'm wrong and he is taking a self imposed time out. This case reminds me quite a bit of the Chance Englebert disappearance. The common denominator between the cases is alcohol. I think that's likely the cause of his vanishing. Drunk, bar fight, unintentional manslaughter.

Hope I'm wrong

Amateur opinion and speculation
He did not drink alcohol according to his mother.
He may well have attracted negative attention while in the restaurant through no fault of his own.
I think it would have been solved long ago had such an altercation taken place.

We all need to remember that Dylan spoke to his Grandma at 6:51 AM the day he disappeared. And last phone ping was that afternoon in 15 Mike radius of his farm. IMO, that rules out something happening in Montello. However, something could have previously happened in Montello and later carried over to the farm 30 miles away. IMO.
Exactly. I just hope there's good reason to be searching in Nevada, as it's drawing attention away from the last location we know he was (Utah).

Unless there's something big we don't know, I don't think Nevada factors in.

Did Dylan even drink alcohol? If he was involved in an altercation at a bar in Montello, witnesses would have come forward by now.

It was mentioned that the truck's tires were washed, but the wheel wells weren't. Would Dylan have left them like that if he did the washing himself?

Exactly. I just hope there's good reason to be searching in Nevada, as it's drawing attention away from the last location we know he was (Utah).

Speculating he may have been taken to Nevada for the purpose of disposing of him or a kidnapping for best possible scenario?
His phone may not have travelled with him.

I agree. It appears to be a waste of time and resources to focus on Nevada. I think the family is fixated on Nevada right now because it gives them a glimmer of hope. Once they are satisfied that a thorough search has been conducted in Nevada, hopefully, resources will be redirected back to the area around the farm.

It might also be a last ditch effort. Cover the one last area that hasn’t been searched, then try to start getting on with their lives. Regroup…decide what to do next. (I can’t even type that without getting teary.)

I’m curious as to why so many posters here seem to be dead sure foul play is involved in Dylan’s disappearance (full disclosure: I’m 50/50 between foul play and voluntary disappearance/suicide).

From the beginning, Dylan’s parents have been asserting this is a case of foul play. Initially his mom stated that Dylan was dedicated only to farming and had no interest in making friends, dating, playing video games or sports, etc. We later learned that he did, in fact, have friends whom he would meet in Montello, so I’m questioning the veracity of the information coming from sources other than LE.

Aside from his parents’ testimony about his character and how he wouldn’t disappear, what concrete evidence do we really have that points to foul play?

It’s been suggested that because his truck appeared to be thoroughly washed and the seat was pushed forward, it points to foul play. But IMO I don’t see that as anything nefarious—he was living out in the middle of the desert, I’m sure vehicles get dirty quickly. If Dylan is as dedicated to his farm as is being stated, it isn’t a stretch to think he would want to keep all of his tools and equipment clean and in good working condition, which might very well include keeping the truck clean.

It’s also been suggested that the boots being left near the dirt pile points to foul play, but I’m not sure I see how that indicates foul play. It wouldn’t make any sense for someone who wanted to do harm to Dylan to remove his boots at the farm but not dump his phone and wallet as well. Additionally, without knowing whether the small amount of blood was found on the inside or the outside of the boots, it’s hard to say whether or not it could indicate foul play. I have a pain of shoes that has a small bloodstain inside because I had a blister that popped and another pair that had a tiny drop on the front of the shoe because I cut my finger and it dropped down onto my shoe. I would imagine that blisters and small cuts are not uncommon issues for farmers to encounter given the equipment they work with and the walking they have to do on the farm.

MOO I think it’s too early to conclusively say foul play in the only possibility at this point, as the evidence for it is weak at best and can easily be spun to support a voluntary disappearance/self-harm as well. While I think foul play is still a strong possibility, I also think it’s important to not pigeon-hole ourselves into thinking it is obviously foul play.
I’m 50/50 as well.

I just think that we really don’t have all the facts at this point. Something is niggling away at me and I can’t put my finger on it.

I agree. It appears to be a waste of time and resources to focus on Nevada. I think the family is fixated on Nevada right now because it gives them a glimmer of hope. Once they are satisfied that a thorough search has been conducted in Nevada, hopefully, resources will be redirected back to the area around the farm.

It might also be a last ditch effort. Cover the one last area that hasn’t been searched, then try to start getting on with their lives. Regroup…decide what to do next. (I can’t even type that without getting teary.)
With all due respect, I completely disagree. I think it naive and close-minded to only focus on Utah and the immediate Lucin area.

Granted Dylan's boots were found behind the dirt pile by the shed and the last phone ping was in this area of the farm, Dylan often traveled to Montello, people knew him there, who's to say a potential witness, suspect and/or POI doesn't live there? In addition, there were tire tracks shown in the Sparks YT video that led toward the Nevada border that family / LE were trying to confirm if they were made by Dylan's pick-up truck.

I may have missed this info...but do we know if the truck was cleaned inside as well? Or was it only cleaned on the outside?

Edit: just to elaborate bit...my thinking is that if its only the outside of the truck that's been cleaned IMO this points towards Dylan having cleaned it himself, whereas were it also cleaned on the inside this would suggest someone eradicating trace evidence.
I immediately thought of interior cleaning when I heard the driver seat was pulled all the way up. Obviously this could indicate loading/unloading things from the back seat but I also thing it could lean itself to vacuuming/cleaning the backseat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HopeBloom