UT UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, wkg on farm, “weird run-in” with a guy walking on gravel rd, no phone & CC activity, Lucin, Box Elder Co, 25 May 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to guess it is because they are away from prying eyes and law enforcement, and it is free. This is a huge issue across the US. Landowners and Park Rangers are running into serious problems with these groups. Many of them are anti government, Anti social, are criminals, and have warrants. Dylan's mom has said a few have been arrested on warrants unrelated to Dylan.
I don't doubt that Dylan's parents know the area extremely well and are correct, but it would be onerous to be a transient in such a rural area. Getting food, water, and electricity are a 30 mile drive to the west. Gas for that drive costs a lot of money. The cold will kill you, even in a shelter. I've been to Slab City and I understand people who live off-grid but an area as remote as Lucin seems extremely challenging.

I'm working on a timeline of facts that have come directly from Candice Cooley. I started tonight, will have it finished and posted tomorrow. It's quite a task but I think it's much better than the one I have using msm "facts" .
IMO, I'd start with CC's most recent interview and work backward as much by CC has been revised since first shared.

Search update for this weekend.

Thanks for posting the search update. Hoping EquuSearch and LE find answers this weekend.

I have a phone ping question and observation.

We know the last ping was @ 3:41pm (Saturday 5/28) and it was near the farm, Dad references the general area "there's a hill past the shop and railroad tracks." Based on the available cell data, I'm assuming LE can review previous pings from that day. If so, were all the previous pings in this general area by the farm, except for his call to grandma @ 6:51am which we assume was made from his trailer.

I'm wondering if his phone ever pinged back in the area of the trailer that day? If it didn't, it would seem Dylan never left the farm / shed area after parking the grain truck. If it did, we could then assume Dylan made it back to his trailer, and then at some point, his phone or him and his phone returned to the area where the last ping was recorded.

I have a phone ping question and observation.

We know the last ping was @ 3:41pm (Saturday 5/28) and it was near the farm, Dad references the general area "there's a hill past the shop and railroad tracks." Based on the available cell data, I'm assuming LE can review previous pings from that day. If so, were all the previous pings in this general area by the farm, except for his call to grandma @ 6:51am which we assume was made from his trailer.

I'm wondering if his phone ever pinged back in the area of the trailer that day? If it didn't, it would seem Dylan never left the farm / shed area after parking the grain truck. If it did, we could then assume Dylan made it back to his trailer, and then at some point, his phone or him and his phone returned to the area where the last ping was recorded.

DR's electronic footprint should really help answer some of the fine detail-specific questions. While I understand that DR's phone service is on his dad's account and dad's been able to share data with LE, it's actually the FBI and State Bureaus of Investigation that are really good with triangulation and analysis of this info.

Where Call records are fairly easy to obtain by the owner or even LE under subpoena power, it's location tracking data that now requires a warrant that they need ASAP. If this case has truly crossed the bridge from missing to a criminal investigation, this search warrant should be first on the list. We also need to know if DR turned off the phone after the last ping, or if his battery was fully expended. Also, I don't think we've heard if his cell phone charger also missing or left behind in his Ford or camper trailer. MOO

Do we know if Dylan's trailer was locked up tight when parents or LE arrived?
Or unlocked, like he had been home or someone else had been in it?
I don't think it was confirmed one way or the other. We know that it was NOT the norm for DR to lock his pick-up, and it was locked when his parents arrived. I'm inclined to say if it was unusual for the camper to be locked, and they found it locked, we probably would have been told. JMO

I am surprised that Dylan has not been found by now. The dry flat terrain, lack of animal activity and sparse population should make it easy to search the area from above and spot anything unusual ... or maybe he isn’t anywhere around there but then ... where is he? Moo

I am surprised that Dylan has not been found by now. The dry flat terrain, lack of animal activity and sparse population should make it easy to search the area from above and spot anything unusual ... or maybe he isn’t anywhere around there but then ... where is he? Moo

Good question. When someone is working alone on a large farm there is always the chance of a bad accident with machinery, etc...but we'd expect he'd have been found by now if that was the case.

It seems there are a few possible scenarios:
---voluntarily missing
---self harm
---foul play
---accidental mishap [but I think he would have been found]

We also need to know if DR turned off the phone after the last ping, or if his battery was fully expended. Also, I don't think we've heard if his cell phone charger also missing or left behind in his Ford or camper trailer. MOO
RSBM.

I think it was said in an interview with the mom, that the phone charger was not missing. I remember her saying that if his phone or charger was broken/missing, he would immediately drive to his parents' houses in Idaho to replace it.

I also think we *need* that phone data warrant. He seemingly called daily with his family and IME no teenager/YA is completely turning off their phone: they put on DND or silent mode. Battery runs out, sure, but turning off a phone completely often means it's been stolen. (since stolen phones can get located through FindMyiPhone and that kind of stuff). That phone data is the key to figuring out 28/05 and possibly 29/05.

Agree! Someone unthread posted that there are thousands of mines in the vicinity. That is one possibility worth considering but given the danger and number probably unlikely to be searched until there is concrete evidence one way or another.

I wonder if Dylan's truck has black box/telematics? Truck data could point to activity and even travel direction if it does.

FWIW He is also from Idaho, not far from Dylan’s grandparents. The family might know him for years, which could explain why they trusted him.

@indicolite22 I didn’t see the info about him owning the backhoe or working for Dylan. Are you sure it’s the same person? There are also 2 other people named as farm workers.
In DutyRon's podcast at 1:01:40, Dylan's mom mentions that the guy had his backhoe on the property which he has since removed. She also says 32 mins into Nancy Grace's podcast that he worked for Dylan. In both cases she named the person.

I'm interested in the railroad tracks. What is the level of activity on that rail line? Is it mostly freight or passenger?
I have had a lot of cases over the years where rail right-of-ways have been an overlooked clue in the case.

After friends and family grew concerned about his whereabouts, a search team found his boots in the dirt roughly 100 yards from his truck – in the opposite direction of his camper, according to his mother Candice Cooley.

Her son has farming in his blood, she said, and has been entirely focused on working his land, foregoing other activities young men his age might be doing instead, including video games, drugs and social media.

“Dylan had a farm, Dylan had a goal, and he had a drive in life so that he would absolutely not let anything, anything, take him away,” she said. “This is a kid that the last three years has been out in the desolate desert tearing out new ground.”

Cooley says she suspects foul play but doesn’t know who would have wanted to harm her son. On Thursday, she said she was also thankful for increased help from volunteers and investigators.

Today we have dogs and much more assistance from law enforcement,” she told Fox News Digital.

She had been expecting help from aerial drones but said the day turned out to be too windy.

EquuSearch and K-9 teams from her son’s native Idaho have joined in the effort, she said.

The Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office in Utah, the case’s lead agency, said it would only be releasing updates “that do not have the potential to compromise the investigation.”

Elko deputies said they became involved in the case after a report of a hostage situation in Montello on May 31, but it turned out to be nothing.

“Family members called it in,” Undersheriff Justin Ames told Fox News Digital Thursday. “The house was cleared with consent from the homeowner, and it was misinformation passed around in a small town.”

But Elko investigators also discovered that the missing teen had visited the area on May 26, when he was seen at a restaurant. Phone records show he returned home to Utah and later called family members from there.

I don't doubt that Dylan's parents know the area extremely well and are correct, but it would be onerous to be a transient in such a rural area. Getting food, water, and electricity are a 30 mile drive to the west. Gas for that drive costs a lot of money. The cold will kill you, even in a shelter. I've been to Slab City and I understand people who live off-grid but an area as remote as Lucin seems extremely challenging.
I agree it would be extremely challenging. I guess the squatters see the benefits of living out there. Lucin vs jail or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juliehollz