Found Deceased UT - Elizabeth Laguna Salgado, 26, Provo, 16 Apr 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder where Ayoola Ajayi was when Elizabeth disappeared. I have always suspected her uncle, but...

Add Adam Durborow to the suspect list. He committed a sexual assault as a juvenile and confessed to the murder of Sherry Black in 2010. He was living within 5 miles of where Salagado was living, much closer than the 66 miles from Tooele Army Depot location where Ajayi was station between 2014-1016.

"The Utah Cold Case Coalition announced Tuesday that a male DNA sample has been recovered from a penny that was collected at the site where Elizabeth Salgado’s body was found in 2018."

Link to KUTV news article
Huh... idk what to make of this press release. I assume LE knows what they are doing & has a strategy. But why reveal the penny part? Why not just say male dna at scene? Wouldn’t that be more likely to rattle the perp? Seems like someone could explain away a penny. Reasonable doubt all over that. Imo. Open to y’all’s brilliant thoughts!

Huh... idk what to make of this press release. I assume LE knows what they are doing & has a strategy. But why reveal the penny part? Why not just say male dna at scene? Wouldn’t that be more likely to rattle the perp? Seems like someone could explain away a penny. Reasonable doubt all over that. Imo. Open to y’all’s brilliant thoughts!
I'm having the same thoughts. I just left the main thread of the 2017 Delphi murders and many of us are wondering why LE is so secretive at times and confusing at others. We even went through a period of year or two where the state police lead investigator would say, 'We will neither confirm nor deny we have DNA.'

Now we have this on the other side of the country. So I find myself asking questions. First what is the source on the penny - touch DNA, from saliva or sweat, blood or semen? I don't know how long touch DNA remains recoverable when it is outdoors. They say they have male DNA on the penny, BUT they don't say if Elizabeth's DNA is on it as well. Of course, if the penny is underneath the body it might well have her DNA on it. If Elizabeth's DNA is also on the penny and there is reason to believe, based on its location, that the mere placement of her body wasn't likely the reason for it to be there.

So many questions. And I wonder if her killer isn't asking the same ones. Like, "Did I reach into the pocket of my trousers when I had blood on my hands? Did I reach in again and inadvertently drop the penny?"

Trying not to get my hopes up. Obviously, he only found the penny with a metal detector long after the crime scene was processed, so IMO there’s a good chance it’s not related to her case, but it would be incredible if it were.

RSBM:
First what is the source on the penny - touch DNA, from saliva or sweat, blood or semen?

Excellent point! Investigator did say it was a “miracle” DNA was recovered, but never said source. If blood or semen, much harder to explain how it came to be on a penny from a crime scene- especially if DNA matches someone she knew. They could try... but might be pretty hard to sound credible to jury. Imo

Trying not to get my hopes up. Obviously, he only found the penny with a metal detector long after the crime scene was processed, so IMO there’s a good chance it’s not related to her case, but it would be incredible if it were.

I can't imagine they would have missed a penny when processing the scene. Unless someone dropped the ball and wasn't thorough. But, if that's the case, then what else was left behind that could have potential to identify the killer?

rbbm
Forensic lab finds male DNA sample on penny recovered near Elizabeth Salgado's body
''Private investigator Jason Jensen says the DNA sample will undergo further testing, including trough genealogical databases.

A break in the case, if you will, as long as it leads to something. We’re hoping that the DNA will lead us to a person of interest. Somebody who will have to explain how his DNA was found at the scene where a dead body was for three years,” Jensen told 2News.''

''Jensen said he plans to ask men who knew Salgado to submit to voluntary DNA samples to compare to the sample recovered from the penny.''

''The penny was minted in 2006, but it’s unknown how long it was at the site where Salgado’s body was found. ''

https://med.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/cirge/documents/activities/journalclubs/Joh 2006.pdf
“If you’’ve ever handled a penny, the government’’s got your DNA. Why do you think they keep them in circulation?”” ——The Simpsons, Who Shot Mr. Burns?1““When you’’ve licked a stamp on your tax return you’’ve sent the gov-ernment a DNA sample.”” ——Victor Weedn, Head of Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory2''

I can't imagine they would have missed a penny when processing the scene. Unless someone dropped the ball and wasn't thorough. But, if that's the case, then what else was left behind that could have potential to identify the killer?

Unfortunately, sometimes crime scene processing can be a bit sloppy. And I would imagine it’s hard to locate a penny on rocky and sandy ground. I’m not sure whether a metal detector was used in the initial review, nor did the article say how far away from where her body was found the penny was located. That being said, it’s also possible someone came along after (including an investigator) and dropped the penny, in which case it wouldn’t have been available when the scene was first processed.

rbbm
Forensic lab finds male DNA sample on penny recovered near Elizabeth Salgado's body
''Private investigator Jason Jensen says the DNA sample will undergo further testing, including trough genealogical databases.

A break in the case, if you will, as long as it leads to something. We’re hoping that the DNA will lead us to a person of interest. Somebody who will have to explain how his DNA was found at the scene where a dead body was for three years,” Jensen told 2News.''

''Jensen said he plans to ask men who knew Salgado to submit to voluntary DNA samples to compare to the sample recovered from the penny.''

''The penny was minted in 2006, but it’s unknown how long it was at the site where Salgado’s body was found. ''

https://med.stanford.edu/content/dam/sm/cirge/documents/activities/journalclubs/Joh 2006.pdf
“If you’’ve ever handled a penny, the government’’s got your DNA. Why do you think they keep them in circulation?”” ——The Simpsons, Who Shot Mr. Burns?1““When you’’ve licked a stamp on your tax return you’’ve sent the gov-ernment a DNA sample.”” ——Victor Weedn, Head of Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory2''
Ok- so 2006 penny. My earlier guess is blown. Maybe CSI never missed the penny & used metal detectors back then- then found it later in the exact spot? Maybe perp visited crime scene? Just theorizing...

ETA: very cool their going to familial DNA on that penny. Who knows- might break it wide open!

Add Adam Durborow to the suspect list. He committed a sexual assault as a juvenile and confessed to the murder of Sherry Black in 2010. He was living within 5 miles of where Salagado was living, much closer than the 66 miles from Tooele Army Depot location where Ajayi was station between 2014-1016.

Investigators Looking For Possible Connection Between Salgado, Black Murders
By Garna Mejia, KSL TV
October 14, 2020 rbbm.
''Officials have learned that 29-year-old Adam Durborow was living just miles from Salgado’s Provo apartment.

They said they want to know how he spent the nearly 10 years that have passed since Black’s murder.''

''Cannon said they’re especially interested in tracking his whereabouts on April 16, 2015 — the day Salgado went missing.''

''That includes a dive into his social media activity and whether Durborow was familiar with Hobble Creek Canyon.

“Because of where she was found, we believe that whoever took her there probably knew Hobble Creek Canyon,” said Cannon.

“The thing that is of interest is the location of where he was living in proximity to Salgado,” said Chris Bertram, retired deputy police chief.''

“What are the circumstances of how Salgado went missing — middle of the day, walking down a busy street?” he said. “When you start to apply what may be his traits, you then apply to the Salgado situation, meaning that maybe he had seen her.”

''Court records from 2019 list two addresses for him, including his childhood home, which is located about 5 miles from Elizabeth’s apartment.''

''Elizabeth Salgado’s family said she felt like she was being watched on her way to school, but could never pinpoint who was watching her.''

By Garna Mejia, KSL TV
October 14, 2020 rbbm.
''Officials have learned that 29-year-old Adam Durborow was living just miles from Salgado’s Provo apartment.

They said they want to know how he spent the nearly 10 years that have passed since Black’s murder.''

''Cannon said they’re especially interested in tracking his whereabouts on April 16, 2015 — the day Salgado went missing.''

''That includes a dive into his social media activity and whether Durborow was familiar with Hobble Creek Canyon.

“Because of where she was found, we believe that whoever took her there probably knew Hobble Creek Canyon,” said Cannon.

“The thing that is of interest is the location of where he was living in proximity to Salgado,” said Chris Bertram, retired deputy police chief.''

“What are the circumstances of how Salgado went missing — middle of the day, walking down a busy street?” he said. “When you start to apply what may be his traits, you then apply to the Salgado situation, meaning that maybe he had seen her.”

''Court records from 2019 list two addresses for him, including his childhood home, which is located about 5 miles from Elizabeth’s apartment.''

''Elizabeth Salgado’s family said she felt like she was being watched on her way to school, but could never pinpoint who was watching her.''
Just learning... Sherry Black’s killer was a photographer of young “ethnic models”. Idk if he had a history of violence or homicide with other young women? SB was 64. I wouldn’t have guessed a connection... If there is one, I wonder if there are other victims.

KSL Uncovers Disturbing Details Surrounding Cold Case Murder Suspect's Childhood

UT - UT - Sherry Black, 64, murdered, Salt Lake City, 30 Nov 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Just learning... Sherry Black’s killer was a photographer of young “ethnic models”. Idk if he had a history of violence or homicide with other young women? SB was 64. I wouldn’t have guessed a connection... If there is one, I wonder if there are other victims.

KSL Uncovers Disturbing Details Surrounding Cold Case Murder Suspect's Childhood

UT - UT - Sherry Black, 64, murdered, Salt Lake City, 30 Nov 2010 *arrest in 2020*
It looks from the article like his adoptive father was the pedophilic photographer

By Garna Mejia, KSL TV
October 14, 2020 rbbm.

Very little seems to be coming out from LE or the media Elizabeth's case. So it's good to see what MAY be some significant progress in her case.

I find it very hard to believe that a penny might have retained DNA as a body skeletonized beside it. It would be easy for me to believe that a killer sitting in prison might tease a confession for another crime in exchange for some small considerations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee
Back