UT - Family of 8 found dead in home by gunshot in Enoch, Jan 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just saw this. So gross:
It's a postmortem 'look what you made me do'. No acknowledgement of responsibility for his actions, just pointing at the woman he murdered and claiming she forced him to do it. Crying victim while killing everyone to maintain control. Vile.

MOO

ABC4 will be conducting an in-depth review of the document, and publishing an article with everything you need to know about Haight’s life pre-tragedy; including violence-related Google searches, and a child abuse investigation. Check back Monday, April 10 for more information.

ABC4 will be conducting an in-depth review of the document, and publishing an article with everything you need to know about Haight’s life pre-tragedy; including violence-related Google searches, and a child abuse investigation. Check back Monday, April 10 for more information.

Gaslighting from beyond the grave?

Info from the note seems to go against everything we've learned from the investigation this far.

Info from the note seems to go against everything we've learned from the investigation this far.
But the thing is, EVEN IF EVERYTHING HE WROTE WAS TRUE, it would not justify killing her, let alone her, her mother, and all their children. He wants to have the last word and be the victim, but there is no possible way he could be anything but the monster he was. Nothing he did in that home was ambiguous.

MOO

Exactly, what reporter Megan Pickett is exposing is important, I look forward to her next segment. I suspect there are a lot of families like this one, where outward appearances don't tell the real story of what happens in the home. My sister is Morman ...

Exactly, what reporter Megan Pickett is exposing is important, I look forward to her next segment. I suspect there are a lot of families like this one, where outward appearances don't tell the real story of what happens in the home. My sister is Morman ...
It is important work and it happens everywhere.

This man is just so entitled and it seems his family and friends enabled that attitude - from the condolences.
This case just blows my mind… how could they even think he was a good person at all to do this? Do they think it was justified? He abused his family for years and his wife tried his best to get away.
Could this have been prevented? By LE taking the allegations seriously and charging him I believe it could have been. Or if they’d gone to a shelter - if that was even an option but a lot of times it isn’t (there’s no room, it’s not offered, they don’t fit the qualifications, etc…) But otherwise, no….

His suicide note is ridiculous garbage.

Even if we were to both ignore the previous abuse allegations against him AND believe his claims that he was a good, hardworking man who was married to an absolutely horrible woman who made his life awful, the fact that he murdered his entire family and not just his wife doesn't align with this post-death narrative he has tried to spin.

If the issue was her, he would have just killed her. The fact that he went on a rampage and also murdered his mother-in-law and all of his own children just further proves how absolutely cruel and mentally unstable he was and how false his suicide note claims likely are. Bad enough to do what he did, but to then try to smear his wife and shift the blame to her knowing she'd be dead and unable to defend herself is beyond cowardly.

Last edited:
I wonder if he believed he would be forgiven by God and therefore, still in control of his family - in Heaven or on his own planet/Heaven, whatever he believed. Gotta keep that family together, forever, with dad in control.

This man is just so entitled and it seems his family and friends enabled that attitude - from the condolences.
This case just blows my mind… how could they even think he was a good person at all to do this? Do they think it was justified? He abused his family for years and his wife tried his best to get away.
Could this have been prevented? By LE taking the allegations seriously and charging him I believe it could have been. Or if they’d gone to a shelter - if that was even an option but a lot of times it isn’t (there’s no room, it’s not offered, they don’t fit the qualifications, etc…) But otherwise, no….
I meant to say “her best”.
Ugh - just what a real solution to these sick domestic murder suicides that are happening so much it seems like!

“I’ve been complained [about] every step of the way that I work too much, put my church calling before my wife, and on and on and on. She has been so awful to me and my family for years[…] this is nonsense and I can’t handle it for one more day. We will not be a burden on society.”

What is the meaning of this last sentence? "We will not be a burden on society."
This is the thinking that led him to annihilate his entire family and MiL?

“I’ve been complained [about] every step of the way that I work too much, put my church calling before my wife, and on and on and on. She has been so awful to me and my family for years[…] this is nonsense and I can’t handle it for one more day. We will not be a burden on society.”

What is the meaning of this last sentence? "We will not be a burden on society."
This is the thinking that led him to annihilate his entire family and MiL?
I suspect he might’ve believed the old claptrap about “children of divorce” being more likely to be maladjusted/mentally disturbed than children of undivorced parents, and also believed that society was (is) burdened with caring for these irreparably “damaged” children when they grow up. OR (IMO more likely) he knew that folks reading the note would believe all that nonsense about the social ills resulting from “broken homes” and banked on them therefore feeling sympathetic towards him and what he “had to” do.

I suspect he might’ve believed the old claptrap about “children of divorce” being more likely to be maladjusted/mentally disturbed than children of undivorced parents, and also believed that society was (is) burdened with caring for these irreparably “damaged” children when they grow up. OR (IMO more likely) he knew that folks reading the note would believe all that nonsense about the social ills resulting from “broken homes” and banked on them therefore feeling sympathetic towards him and what he “had to” do.
Yep, the last for sure. Gaslighting until the end. And apparently it worked based on his obituary, etc…

I wonder if he believed he would be forgiven by God and therefore, still in control of his family - in Heaven or on his own planet/Heaven, whatever he believed. Gotta keep that family together, forever, with dad in control.
Raised Mormon here, this is exactly what he was banking on.

If there is a just god, I hope he found out damn quick that wasn't going to fly. Regardless of what mainstream Mormon beliefs are, I refuse to believe a god would create a system where families cannot escape their abusers and murderers even in death and are chained to them for eternity. I would hope that in cases like these, he would intercede.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back