UT UT - Garrett Bardsley, 12, Cuberant Lake, 20 Aug 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This breaks my heart. My son is 9 and is a boy scout. He can go camping for the first time this year, in October. I don't know what the policy is for camping, but there are always two adults that are supposed to be with the children at all times when they have meetings. This policy was imposed when there were allegations of sexual abuse when one leader was alone with children. This is to protect the child and the adult. I can see if this Dad was a leader, and he just figured since it was his kid that it would be OK. But I think if it had been another child he would have sent a buddy. Very sad. I do know that Boy Scouts takes this stuff seriously and will change for the better because of this. I was a girl scout leader last year. They no longer want the girls to go door to door to sell cookies. They tell us to have them go to people they know. They don't say, but I bet this is because of Danielle VanDam.

This story just kills me. I have a son his age. I think about this little boy everyday, but especially when I go to bed at night. There's a man missing in the same mountains...they are searching for him about 15 miles from where Garrett was lost. So sad! Must be some really rough and rugged areas....

Link to the other man missing in the same area...

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=39&sid=115732

I'm hoping for a miracle, although it seems unlikely for Garrett...but there's always hope!

Sassy

No more details on the sock.. how they knew it was his? what condition it was in? Frustrating hours ahead while everyone waits and night approaching.

Stupid, careless misjudgment can turn your whole life around :(

Praying for this little scout ~ and his family & the searchers.

Not sure sock was Garrett's....it's possible it was one of the searchers who took their sock off......frustrating and sad story.....it would be so great if this kiddo used his scouting skills and was alive, but the deck is stacked against him unfortunately...still holding out hope and praying for a miracle!

http://tv.ksl.com/index.php?nid=5&sid=115631

Sassy

Fox News is reporting this morning that police believe there could be a connection between Garrett's disappearance and that of the man who is missing in the same area. The man was undergoing psychiatric evaluations and apparently took a gun from his home along with him when he went to the woods. They aren't saying that they think this man may be holding Garrett or if they think another person in the area may be holding both of them....they are just saying there may be a connection. I couldn't find a news link on the Fox site to add to this, but this report was just on about 20 minutes ago. Wouldn't it be great if Garrett is alive and simply being held by this man and police can find them??

englishleigh said:
Fox News is reporting this morning that police believe there could be a connection between Garrett's disappearance and that of the man who is missing in the same area. The man was undergoing psychiatric evaluations and apparently took a gun from his home along with him when he went to the woods. They aren't saying that they think this man may be holding Garrett or if they think another person in the area may be holding both of them....they are just saying there may be a connection. I couldn't find a news link on the Fox site to add to this, but this report was just on about 20 minutes ago. Wouldn't it be great if Garrett is alive and simply being held by this man and police can find them??

Hmmm...the only problem is is that the man went missing 3 days after Garrett did if I have the days right. :confused:

Sassygerl said:
Hmmm...the only problem is is that the man went missing 3 days after Garrett did if I have the days right. :confused:

The reporter that the FNC anchor was talking to is saying that they are now not sure when exactly the man DID go missing, that is being investigated as part of the possible connection. Even if the guy did go missing a few days after Garrett, it's possible he found Garrett still-but-barely alive and got him then.

englishleigh said:
The reporter that the FNC anchor was talking to is saying that they are now not sure when exactly the man DID go missing, that is being investigated as part of the possible connection. Even if the guy did go missing a few days after Garrett, it's possible he found Garrett still-but-barely alive and got him then.

ahh....thanks for clarifying English. I'm still holding out for a miracle.

Praying for you, Garrett, and your precious family too.

For anyone who reads this, please say a prayer for this boy and his family.
And, please, do not point fingers.

This truly could happen to anyone. It only takes a few seconds to snag a human being. I beg of you, do not add to their grief. Thank you so much for your compassion.

With love and HOPE for his safe return, Lanie
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com
*let he who is without sin cast the first stone*

Lanie--
I just wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your prayerfulness and genuine concern for missing people. I share your belief in the importance and power of prayer.
Blessings to you--
Karen

WasBlind -

Thank you for pointing out the importance of not pointing fingers. People are always too quick to blame. Like you said, a person can be snatched in the blink of an eye - especially a child.

I have not heard one comment on the searchers using tracking dogs.I am confident a good bloodhound with Garret's scent would find him or would have found him.Does anybody know? It is plain common sense.If they didn't use tracking dogs they are idiots and Garret's life was lost as a result.I am amazed and pissed no one on the thread has mentioned this.

Fuzzy Dice said:
I have not heard one comment on the searchers using tracking dogs.I am confident a good bloodhound with Garret's scent would find him or would have found him.Does anybody know? It is plain common sense.If they didn't use tracking dogs they are idiots and Garret's life was lost as a result.I am amazed and pissed no one on the thread has mentioned this.

Amazed and pissed no one posted this info for you?? :confused: It's easy to do a search....they did use search dogs and unfortunately came up with nothing. This is such a sad case...I think of Garrett often and pray they find him very very soon. I can only imagine what his family is going through.

"About 200 volunteers searched for the boy. Fliers were posted at trailheads and distributed to hikers and campers. Search dogs, helicopters and a Wasatch County search and rescue plane looked for the boy Sunday."

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595086162,00.html

Sassy

Fuzzy Dice Quote: "I am amazed and pissed no one on the thread has mentioned this."

Who are you "amazed and pissed" at, exactly? Please let us all know exactly what topics you would like for us to discuss, so we can get right on that.

Hopefully you are just frustrated and sad about the failure to find Garrett. It is a terrible tragedy and I hate to think of that poor child out there cold, hungry and frightened.

imo

Search dogs would not have had much luck in the wet weather anyway. The unfortunate part about water is it tends to wash away the scent, making it difficult for the dogs to follow.

I don't have as much faith in search dogs as some do. But thank goodness for the finds they do make.

Hey. I'm 15 years old and from British Columbia, Canada. I am a former scout and in a scouting chat room I heard about Garrett and it made me feel so bad. I was born in the state of Utah so it kind of hit close to home and as a former scout it touched me. I feel so bad for the family and if I could, I would be there searching too. I really wish I could do something.

Please pray and pray often for Garrett and his family.

Welcome AP-128.

I'd like to think a scout might still have a good chance of being alive if he had found shelter. That's where my thoughts will be until more time has passed.

I am sure his family appreciates your prayers and concern. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back