UT - Gwyneth Paltrow sued over ski collision at Deer Valley Resort in 2016 - trial, March 2023 *GP Not Guilty* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And now the good "Dr" is saying the law suit was not worth it and is acting so surprised that his name is now all over the internet. One thing that is noteworthy is those loving daughters could not get out of town fast enough and he is on his own (with attorneys) to face the media. He is a pathetic old guy and every time he opens his mouth he confirms the scam he attempted to perpetrate to get "famous".

As to jurist's reference to "TS's Truth", all IMO:

I'm just going to bounce off a few posts above which bring up that these days everybody's got "their truth" - and show concern that this commenting Jurist seems to acknowledge that.

I think this Jurist is referencing Day 6 expert testimony - as opposed to suggesting there's such a thing as "everyone's own truth" that should be considered by the jury.

Unfortunately, news outlets are NOT going to publish much of the expert medical testimony from day 6 that experts found that TS has a delusion-laced type of dementia. They're not going to shake down the experts and TS's own doctors to get HIPPA-protected medical information out of them to publish TS's dementia diagonsis. The news has focused on the physical impossibility of TS's version of events. (Which is fine - and also - which lost the case for TS.)

FWIW - here's some detail I learned from watching medical expert testimony Day 6; see it for yourself on youtube.

One of the neurology experts - on the stand - TESTIFIED when asked if she believed TS was lying when he described his version of the collision - that she could not say that TS was intentionally lying when he tells his version of events. Rather, she testified that TS's version of vents was the version that TS sincerely believed - that his version was "his truth" in his state of dementia-clouded thought processes. In other word's TS really believes GP screamed like a banshee and plowed him down and gave him serious worsening dementia (i.e. that's really "his truth").

The Jury learned from the testimony of several medical experts that TS's brain scans confirm a physical brain disability that causes any number of progressively worsening dementia-related symptoms:
Adult-onset Hydrocephalus – Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatments

The Jury learned this physical brain disability appeared on his scans long before the ski collision at trial. It can be caused by a stroke; TS had a stroke long before the ski collision; TS family and girlfriend testified as to TS's personality changes.

The testifying experts made it clear that Terry suffers from dementia. They also explained the type of dementia TS has can cause confabulation and delusional thinking ... amongst many other personality and cognitive changes.

The testifying experts also reviewed how common it is for families and patient to completely miss the early signs of progressive dementia. Even family forms their own version of reality to explain the changes in their loved one's personality (attributes to anxiety, lack of sleep, depression rather than actual organic brain disease/dementia).

So, that expert testimony is what I think the interviewed jurist was referencing.

(And that expert testimony (I think) is why we saw GP wishing him well before leaving the courtroom after the decision. She realized he and his family through the process of the fact-finding and expert testimony in this public trial - were likely just coming to grips with some devastating facts themselves; what's wrong with TS is not a years-long mild concussion, but rather, brain-debilitating disease.)

If you didn't happen to catch expert testimony Day 6 and then see TS's final (absurd) testimony on the stand, it's easy to miss this shocking and sad revelation.

For this reason, IMO, we'll see a minimum of TS-bashing, or any fraud discussion - certainly not the legit news. TS would have a solid medical defense re fraud. I keep wondering when TS's lawyers were aware of TS's disability.

Last edited:
As to jurist's reference to "TS's Truth", all IMO:

I'm just going to bounce off a few posts above which bring up that these days everybody's got "their truth" - and show concern that this commenting Jurist seems to acknowledge that.

I think this Jurist is referencing Day 6 expert testimony - as opposed to suggesting there's such a thing as "everyone's own truth" that should be considered by the jury.

Unfortunately, news outlets are NOT going to publish much of the expert medical testimony from day 6 that experts found that TS has a delusion-laced type of dementia. They're not going to shake down the experts and TS's own doctors to get HIPPA-protected medical information out of them to publish TS's dementia diagonsis. The news has focused on the physical impossibility of TS's version of events. (Which is fine - and also - which lost the case for TS.)

FWIW - here's some detail I learned from watching medical expert testimony Day 6; see it for yourself on youtube.

One of the neurology experts - on the stand - TESTIFIED when asked if she believed TS was lying when he described his version of the collision - that she could not say that TS was intentionally lying when he tells his version of events. Rather, she testified that TS's version of vents was the version that TS sincerely believed - that his version was "his truth" in his state of dementia-clouded thought processes. In other word's TS really believes GP screamed like a banshee and plowed him down and gave him serious worsening dementia (i.e. that's really "his truth").

The Jury learned from the testimony of several medical experts that TS's brain scans confirm a physical brain disability that causes any number of progressively worsening dementia-related symptoms:
Adult-onset Hydrocephalus – Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatments

The Jury learned this physical brain disability appeared on his scans long before the ski collision at trial. It can be caused by a stroke; TS had a stroke long before the ski collision; TS family and girlfriend testified as to TS's personality changes.

The testifying experts made it clear that Terry suffers from dementia. They also explained the type of dementia TS has can cause confabulation and delusional thinking ... amongst many other personality and cognitive changes.

The testifying experts also reviewed how common it is for families and patient to completely miss the early signs of progressive dementia. Even family forms their own version of reality to explain the changes in their loved one's personality (attributes to anxiety, lack of sleep, depression rather than actual organic brain disease/dementia).

So, that expert testimony is what I think the interviewed jurist was referencing.

(And that expert testimony (I think) is why we saw GP wishing him well before leaving the courtroom after the decision. She realized he and his family through the process of the fact-finding and expert testimony in this public trial - were likely just coming to grips with some devastating facts themselves; what's wrong with TS is not a years-long mild concussion, but rather, brain-debilitating disease.)

If you didn't happen to catch expert testimony Day 6 and then see TS's final (absurd) testimony on the stand, it's easy to miss this shocking and sad revelation.

For this reason, IMO, we'll see a minimum of TS-bashing, or any fraud discussion - certainly not the legit news. TS would have a solid medical defense re fraud. I keep wondering when TS's lawyers were aware of TS's disability.
His attorneys would have had his medical records reviewed (all of them) by their experts so that information about his dementia would have been known long before trial began. IMO the attorneys and plaintiff were willing to take that chance against a celebrity defendant--- sort of like pushing a button on the slot machine and hoping you hit the jack pot. As I said up thread, this case should not have been brought forward. It was a loser from the beginning, just based on damages alone, regardless of who caused the collision.

I sure hope no MSM provide him a trip to NYC to do some talk shows. He really needs to enter some serious therapy but my guess is some stupid females will take up with him and provide him with travel companionship and other benefits. I mean he is "famous"!!

I believe dementia was a differential diagnosis and there was testimony that he didn’t have dementia. With his history of exaggerating symptoms/distress for attention, I don’t believe this man has dementia at this point. Supposedly his personality changes occurred after the collision so according to him the concussion is what caused all those changes. He was fine before the collision, again according to him and his daughters. And the testimony was that this was a mild concussion if he even HAD one.

He lied and said she hit him and made up a whole scenario of her screaming down the mountain into him. We don’t need a medical diagnosis to explain lying.

JMO.

The ambulance chasing charlatans had a lot of do with what happened here. I'm sure a lot of lawyers get approached with ridiculous cases (similar to this one), but it also seems evident that some of them wouldn't take something like this.

In this instance - if they hadn't taken the case, this farce would never have occurred. It's people like this that are part of the problem.

His attorneys would have had his medical records reviewed (all of them) by their experts so that information about his dementia would have been known long before trial began. IMO the attorneys and plaintiff were willing to take that chance against a celebrity defendant--- sort of like pushing a button on the slot machine and hoping you hit the jack pot. As I said up thread, this case should not have been brought forward. It was a loser from the beginning, just based on damages alone, regardless of who caused the collision.
Giving his attorneys the MOST possible grace, they would have conducted expert depositions (TS and GP experts) and they would have had the chance to flush out his dementia status per these experts. Could have been within a month prior to trial.

Someone more familiar with how insurance-hired panel attorneys and insurance companies make decisions when saddled with protecting a client they discover is lodging a false allegations. How should they have / could they have changed the trial course at this late juncture might be able to spread some light?

If they (TS counsel) didn't put it together until GP's team knew they'd win and clear her name from these absured allegations ... I doubt GP's team would make her settle.

The someone familiar with that backroom decision stuff - ain't me. lol.

I just hope that a disabled dementia patient (TS) wasn't taken for a ride for 4 years by his insurance panel attorneys.

Just IMO.

I believe dementia was a differential diagnosis and there was testimony that he didn’t have dementia. With his history of exaggerating symptoms/distress for attention, I don’t believe this man has dementia at this point. Supposedly his personality changes occurred after the collision so according to him the concussion is what caused all those changes. He was fine before the collision, again according to him and his daughters. And the testimony was that this was a mild concussion if he even HAD one.

He lied and said she hit him and made up a whole scenario of her screaming down the mountain into him. We don’t need a medical diagnosis to explain lying.

JMO.
I think it as simple as bringing this scam lawsuit no matter what his "truth" was was going to involve exposing his whole life and he was feeling the effects of the stress causing anxiety and personality changes. I think the lady friends were victims of that change and did not want to deal with it.

Giving his attorneys the MOST possible grace, they would have conducted expert depositions (TS and GP experts) and they would have had the chance to flush out his dementia status per these experts. Could have been within a month prior to trial.

Someone more familiar with how insurance-hired panel attorneys and insurance companies make decisions when saddled with protecting a client they discover is lodging a false allegations. How should they have / could they have changed the trial course at this late juncture might be able to spread some light?

If they (TS counsel) didn't put it together until GP's team knew they'd win and clear her name from these absured allegations ... I doubt GP's team would make her settle.

The someone familiar with that backroom decision stuff - ain't me. lol.

I just hope that a disabled dementia patient (TS) wasn't taken for a ride for 4 years by his insurance panel attorneys.

Just IMO.
a number of lawyers/firms refused this case. Sykes thought he could get some good exposure. Wrong.

Someone disabled w/dementia isn't able to travel around the world; post pictures of himself on camels; etc. This all occurred after the skiing 'incident' - I refuse to call this an accident. If it was, it was an intentional accident on this guy's part.

Again, don't defend this lying criminal. He ran into GP (possibly intentionally), not the other way around.

If she didn't want to put the time/money/effort into taking this case to trial & had decided to settle out of court (which some people may have done under these circumstances) - he may have gotten some $ out of her....which would have been a real miscarriage of justice.

Last edited:
I’m listening to his ex-girlfriend’s testimony, which I missed during the trial. And it is quite interesting listening to her after what we learned since her testimony! I’m so glad for her that she met someone else and is in a good place now. He totally played her. He lost interest in her once he became “famous.” That’s what I’m gleaning from her testimony. Also, she initiated the relationship and the main thing she had to say about him was how active/busy he was and how she couldn’t keep up with him. Probably he was using that to avoid intimacy. She doesn’t know much about him or his so-called health issues. After 18 months it’s quite telling to me - it says this man is a shyster.

She’s a sweet lady but she’s not a good judge of character.

I’m listening to his ex-girlfriend’s testimony, which I missed during the trial. And it is quite interesting listening to her after what we learned since her testimony! I’m so glad for her that she met someone else and is in a good place now. He totally played her. He lost interest in her once he became “famous.” That’s what I’m gleaning from her testimony. Also, she initiated the relationship and the main thing she had to say about him was how active/busy he was and how she couldn’t keep up with him. Probably he was using that to avoid intimacy. She doesn’t know much about him or his so-called health issues. After 18 months it’s quite telling to me - it says this man is a shyster.

She’s a sweet lady but she’s not a good judge of character.
He took right up with Robin after dumping Karline. I believe Robin is the one that left the seat empty on the plane and said "I just don't like you anymore". To listen to TS talk about how he just had to let Karline go for her own good etc. was more lying. She said he NEVER GAVE her a reason for the ending of the relationship. She nursed him for the healing of the ribs and then off he goes. Not only the girlfriends but the daughters had no idea of his mental health issues over the years or physical issues. Must have been really unpleasant to find that out during the course of depositions.

He took right up with Robin after dumping Karline. I believe Robin is the one that left the seat empty on the plane and said "I just don't like you anymore". To listen to TS talk about how he just had to let Karline go for her own good etc. was more lying. She said he NEVER GAVE her a reason for the ending of the relationship. She nursed him for the healing of the ribs and then off he goes. Not only the girlfriends but the daughters had no idea of his mental health issues over the years or physical issues. Must have been really unpleasant to find that out during the course of depositions.
BBM -

IMO that’s bc it was all a lie. Obv the MRI is not a lie and maybe that will start to impact him. But the other stuff was all bs. It was attention seeking behavior. Drug seeking behavior. That’s why no one noticed it. He only performed sick at the VA. Also, Karlene didn’t know about his blindness or his stroke. Never noticed any issues. He said he called it blindness loosely. If he’s half blind how is he allowed to drive? And how does your 18 month old gf never notice?

He had Robin all lined up to go. Apparently, Robin did a bunch of activities with him and Karlene. That says to me he had no boundaries and was emotionally controlling. I’m sure once Karlene was outta the pic and he focused more on her Robin realized what a needy, lying liar he was.

JMO

Can I please just interject?

This stroke suffered by TS, I understood to be an ‘eye stroke’ not a ‘brain stroke’ that most of us think about when we hear the word ‘stroke’.

They are also known as Retinal Artery Occlusion.

Can I please just interject?

This stroke suffered by TS, I understood to be an ‘eye stroke’ not a ‘brain stroke’ that most of us think about when we hear the word ‘stroke’.

They are also known as Retinal Artery Occlusion.
Yeah I understood that. My point is was he nearly blind in one eye or not? He says “loosely” blind. What does that even mean? As an optometrist he can’t tell us exactly? Girlfriend said she had no idea about the vision issues. And he still drives. So what’s the truth here? That’s all I’m sayin’

Someone disabled w/dementia isn't able to travel around the world; post pictures of himself on camels; etc. This all occurred after the skiing 'incident' - I refuse to call this an accident. If it was, it was an intentional accident on this guy's part.

Again, don't defend this lying criminal. He ran into GP (possibly intentionally), not the other way around.

If she didn't want to put the time/money/effort into taking this case to trial & had decided to settle out of court (which some people may have done under these circumstances) - he may have gotten some $ out of her....which would have been a real miscarriage of justice.

So, If I'm following, after 7 days of a widely broadcasted, daily headlines trial, intense public interest, this lying criminal fraudster is just being left out in the wild to crime again.

I figure, if he's committed a crime he planned in sound mind, we'll see him charged with it. I'll then be back to retract my theory. :D

Also, plenty of dementia patients are not too disabled to travel. Or ski. Or swim. Or run. With a companion. Good grief. Let's take the car keys away though, and no unsupervised cooking or critical financial decision making. I'm speaking from 2 decades of experience managing such family member's caregiving needs.

JMO

Last edited:
It was proven at the trial that TS did the following activities after the skiing incident when he ran into GP: Scuba diving, zip-lining, bike rides and boat tours - and maybe some other things I missed. So, someone who's disabled & with dementia is going to be physically & mentally able to go scuba diving, zip-lining, and ride a bike?! Even with a companion, I don't see that this would be possible.

A lot of fraudsters get away with crimes every day & aren't charged. Watch the news. There are criminals/scammers who try to rip people off every day by calling them & fraudulently saying they owe money; contractors will get paid money ahead of time to do a job & won't finish this; etc. Yes, they're criminals - but they aren't charged because going after people like this takes time & money.

Again,
this fraudster/scammer could have gotten away with this crime & gotten some money from GP if she hadn't decided to fight this in court.

Just because he's not in jail & hasn't been arrested for fraud doesn't make him any less of a criminal.

Last edited:
Yeah I understood that. My point is was he nearly blind in one eye or not? He says “loosely” blind. What does that even mean? As an optometrist he can’t tell us exactly? Girlfriend said she had no idea about the vision issues. And he still drives. So what’s the truth here? That’s all I’m sayin’
DON'T forget in the other eye he had a cataract which had to be removed. I understood the nature of the "stroke" but that had no impact on my general view of this guy.

It was proven at the trial that TS did the following activities after the skiing incident when he ran into GP: Scuba diving, zip-lining, bike rides and boat tours - and maybe some other things I missed. So, someone who's disabled & with dementia is going to be physically & mentally able to go scuba diving, zip-lining, and ride a bike?! Do you expect anyone to believe this?! If you do, I've got a bridge to sell you - LOL!!!!

A lot of fraudsters get away with crimes every day & aren't charged. Watch the news. There are criminals/scammers who try to rip people off making up stories every day by calling them & fraudulently saying they owe money; contractors will get paid money to do a job & won't finish this; etc. Yes, they're criminals - but they aren't charged because going after people like this takes time & money.

Again, this fraudster/scammer could have gotten away with this crime & gotten some money from GP if she hadn't decided to fight this in court.

Just because he's not in jail & hasn't been arrested for fraud doesn't make him any less of a criminal.
You forgot my favorite!

"The straw that broke the camel's back!"

TS literally riding on a camel in Morocco!!!!

1680379607313.png
An evidence photo shows Terry Sanderson riding a camel in Morocco, two years after the ski accident

It was proven at the trial that TS did the following activities after the skiing incident when he ran into GP: Scuba diving, zip-lining, bike rides and boat tours - and maybe some other things I missed. So, someone who's disabled & with dementia is going to be physically & mentally able to go scuba diving, zip-lining, and ride a bike?! Even with a companion, I don't see that this would be possible.

A lot of fraudsters get away with crimes every day & aren't charged. Watch the news. There are criminals/scammers who try to rip people off every day by calling them & fraudulently saying they owe money; contractors will get paid money ahead of time to do a job & won't finish this; etc. Yes, they're criminals - but they aren't charged because going after people like this takes time & money.

Again,
this fraudster/scammer could have gotten away with this crime & gotten some money from GP if she hadn't decided to fight this in court.

Early dementia stages:

Assuming an active physically fit 60 year old and not a 90 year old with congestive heart failure:

Yes they can do the things they know how to do ... with a companion or family member. If they are losing the ability to schedule and read maps and stay organized and focused to task and learning new skills ... these are executive function issues, not physical issues. So, it's kind of nice that in early dementia stages (especially in our 60's, otherwise healthy) - physical health, memory and language is retained for a time (everyone's different as to how long), and they can enjoy doing the things that are their pastimes.

LEARNING to scuba dive for the first time - agree that nope, that's a bad idea. But for a regular diver, they'd be okay.

The companion is key for traveling b/c of getting lost, panic attacks, planning and scheduling challenges, organizational challenges, learning, processing and retaining new information challenges ... and in the case of early Alzheimers, the short term memory blips.

e.g.:
Here's what a person can do: Ski all-mountain really well.
Here's what they can't do anymore: Recognize which trail leads to the lodge (toilet, food) rather than leading only to a chairlift with no facilities. Even though they've been down that hill 200 times in their life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeptemberDaffodil
Back