UT UT - Howard Stone, 64, went hiking, Goblin Valley State Park, 10 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

mlhenn

Reaction score

Stone traveled to Emery County on Saturday to golf at Millsite Golf Club in Ferron and decided to hike Little Wild Horse Canyon after golfing, said Emery County Sheriff Tyson Huntington.

On Sunday, Stone's son called the police and said he hadn't heard from his dad and couldn't get ahold of him through the phone.

Howard Stone, 64, went hiking up the narrow slot canyon near Goblin Valley State Park early Saturday.

Huntington noted Stone's car was found at the trailhead.

Emery County Search and Rescue, the Department of Public Safety with their helicopter, and Goblin Valley personnel have assisted in the search. Still, as of Tuesday, Stone has yet to be found.

On Tuesday, a flash flood warning was issued for Zion National Park, closing The Narrows and all slot canyons.

You can see Ferron (where his golf course was at) on this google map. The slot canyon runs south/southeast of there. Google Maps (to help find it, Ferron is southeast from Provo). He went missing AFTER golfing Saturday so likely not super early in the day. He was reported missing on Sunday by his son. Radar data does show some heavy precip north/northwest of Provo (the thunderstorm cell is red on the map) at 2050 on Saturday (10th) afternoon, which could have triggered flash flooding. (NOTE: time on the NOAA site is in Coordinated Universal Time. for example in Chicago right now it's 8:55 am, the radar map for right now would show 1355) So 2050 on the 10th would be after 2 in the afternoon if I calculated that properly (not fully caffeinated yet) Radar Data

No mention of wife in all the articles or the interview with son, despite all the happy Pictures. Wonder if they were separated.

No mention of wife in all the articles or the interview with son, despite all the happy Pictures. Wonder if they were separated.

(Brandon is his son)
Stone told Brandon that he was going down to Emery County to play a round of golf, before hiking Little Wildhorse Canyon.

Brandon says he sent his dad a text at 3 p.m. on Saturday and never heard back.

"I contacted the sheriff's office Sunday morning after confirming with my sisters that nobody had talked to him," Brandon said.

Brandon described his dad as someone who loves his family. Howard has four children and 12 grandchildren.

This is so difficult for everyone, including the searchers who were impeded by further flooding after he was reported missing. Flash floods in those slot canyons rarely have a good outcome. I hope he was watching the weather and alerts and got to higher ground but the number of days that have gone by is not good. Prayers for his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics
Back