Found Deceased UT - Jerika Binks, 24, American Fork, 18 Feb 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
no obvious signs of trauma on this body found...maybe she was hit by a car while running?

Possibly, but it says she was “placed” there and it is thought to be foul play. Maybe drug overdose and hid the body under the grate. Whomever it is, at least she will get a true resting place.

Body found behind vacant Kmart identified as woman reported missing in West Valley City

http://via.fox13now.com/iv5Qc

According to West Valley City Police, the deceased has been identified as 43-year-old Cami Shepherd.
Police say there has been an active missing person investigation for Shepherd since February 2 of this year.

This article calls her last name „Banks“ (maybe a typo).

Police and family members continue to search for missing American Fork woman
http://kutv.com/news/local/police-a...nue-to-search-for-missing-american-fork-woman
(Video at link)
(KUTV)- It's been nearly three months since a 24-year-old woman went jogging and vanished in American Fork. Utah County Sheriff's and family members are searching for any clues as to what happened to Jerika Banks.

“The day that we live in today how can you vanish,” Jed Alvey, her older brother, said.

[...]

They just released wildlife cam footage her showing her wearing running attire and jogging on a trail in the area they are searching in a park to the northeast of the town she went missing from. They've had the footage a while but waited to release, likely so people in the area wouldn't interfere with the searches and drone operations looking for her. http://fox13now.com/2018/05/16/missing-utah-county-woman-caught-on-wildlife-camera/ The caves in the park reopen for the season May 19. Here's hoping with people coming back in larger numbers they may find closure on this case.

It looks like a very rocky area to be jogging. They said it was a dangerous area.

Some bone fragments were found near one of the points of interest (see photos at the Facebook in my last post) but they look like deer bones. Also, a hoodie was found in the area but the family doesn't believe that it belongs to Jerika.

This is sure a rocky area... Was she an experienced hiker? How often would she run in the area? Are there many cliffs? What about wild animals?

"Finding Jerika" Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/findingJerika/ has a few photos of the area where she went missing.

I also found this post from the page very informative (posted 7 hrs ago). For those who are not on FB, here is what it says:

“Some misinformation in this news cast. But, its still covering her story, which we are very appreciative of.

She is clearly alive, and well, at 1:30 pm. Where she went from here is unclear.

The USDC video was not the last footage of Jerika as she ran towards the canyon the morning she went missing. There was also a Walmart camera and a home security system that both detected her and later the trail camera.

This image was not a ‘dirt’ trail. It was the paved, and maintained, Timpanogos Cave Park trail. About 7/10 of a mile up. She was headed down the trail.

The Timp Cave trail has been searched well by Search and Rescue, along with many hours of volunteer drones. We don't believe she is in that area.

For the safety of anyone wanting to help search, we ask that you don't search in the National Park. It is a very dangerous area and we would not want anyone injured.
Rather, we believe she made it out of the park safely and is somewhere else.

Where? We don't know. Perhaps further up the canyon. Perhaps back down in the valley. Either way, foul play is still as probable as any other scenario.

http://fox13now.com/2018/05/16/missing-utah-county-woman-caught-on-wildlife-camera/

“https://www.facebook.com/findingJerika/posts/438285079954181 (BBM)

Unfortunately, I really have a feeling foul play is involved. The trail cam makes me think it even more. It seems like she was in a good place.

Is it just me or does it look like she's wearing socks but no shoes?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I love to run (when I have time) It really helps my mind boost with positive energy. Maybe this is what has helped her be successful at the treatment center. I always take my phone with me but I never put music in both of my ears. Only one b/c I want to be safe. I wonder if she was listening to music on her phone? I also never run the same route every time. I've learned that people are predictable in their behavior and it gives an opportunity for someone to take advantage of that. I truly hope some creep hasn't been watching her every time she's went running and then did something to her 😕

News release from National Park Service, May 17, 2018

Timpanogos Cave National Monument assists Utah County Sheriff with search for missing American Fork woman

Photos taken by a National Park Service (NPS) wildlife monitoring camera in February were posted this week on a private Facebook page dedicated to the search for Jerika Alvey Binks. The NPS wildlife camera, used only in the winter months, had been located approximately halfway up the Timpanogos Cave trail, an area closed to public entry.

The camera was placed on the closed trail in December of 2017. It was retrieved on March 27, 2018. Typically, the camera records wildlife in the area while it is closed to the public, and rangers were surprised to find an image that matched Jerika, date-stamped February 18, the reported date of her disappearance.

The photos were immediately turned over to the Utah County Sheriff’s Office (UCSO), the agency with jurisdiction over the investigation and search for Binks.

Photos triggered an extensive, exhaustive search of park area

Following the discovery of these photographs, an exhaustive search of the park and surrounding area was conducted by the UCSO and the county Search and Rescue team. Multiple days of searches were conducted by air and ground, including helicopters, drones, dog teams, and ground searchers rappelling through steep terrain both above and below the cave trail.

Clues, as small as water bottles or other litter, detected from the air were checked by ground teams. NPS staff actively participated and assisted in the search effort.

Alternate Routes also searched
It is unknown what route Jerika took to get above the locked NPS gate and into the closed part of the hiking trail where the photos were taken. Adjacent scree slopes, animal trails, and other possible but unauthorized routes have been also searched multiple times.

Volunteer searchers must stay on trail within monument boundaries; safety is critical
The steep slopes above and below the cave trail are extremely dangerous. Falls and falling rock have caused injuries and fatalities to visitors, employees, and rescuers during past incidents. All park areas above and below the cave trail are closed to public entry at all times.

The NPS and UCSO conducted exhaustive searches of this area with highly trained and well equipped search and rescue personnel.

The park reminds everyone to stay on the paved trail and report any observations or information related to this case to rangers or the Utah County Sheriff for investigation.

The trail, park visitor center, and cave tours all open to general public access on Saturday, May 19.

https://www.nps.gov/tica/learn/news...-cave-assists-in-search-for-missing-woman.htm

So, the area is closed to the public in the winter. How common is it for people to run there when the area is closed? Why would she go there as it seems quite dangerous? Also, have they checked the Timpanogos cave in the park? Here's the page of the cave https://www.nps.gov/tica/planyourvisit/cavetours.htm as it says that it gets cold in the winter, about 45 F. Would she go to the cave alone not realizing that it may be dangerous?

My bet is that either foul play was involved or an accident. I doubt that she would just disappear to start a new life. How would she get a job or an apartment without an ID? The question is, where could her body be? Are there any streams in the area?

News release from National Park Service, May 17, 2018

Timpanogos Cave National Monument assists Utah County Sheriff with search for missing American Fork woman

Photos taken by a National Park Service (NPS) wildlife monitoring camera in February were posted this week on a private Facebook page dedicated to the search for Jerika Alvey Binks. The NPS wildlife camera, used only in the winter months, had been located approximately halfway up the Timpanogos Cave trail, an area closed to public entry.

The camera was placed on the closed trail in December of 2017. It was retrieved on March 27, 2018. Typically, the camera records wildlife in the area while it is closed to the public, and rangers were surprised to find an image that matched Jerika, date-stamped February 18, the reported date of her disappearance.

The photos were immediately turned over to the Utah County Sheriff’s Office (UCSO), the agency with jurisdiction over the investigation and search for Binks.

Photos triggered an extensive, exhaustive search of park area

Following the discovery of these photographs, an exhaustive search of the park and surrounding area was conducted by the UCSO and the county Search and Rescue team. Multiple days of searches were conducted by air and ground, including helicopters, drones, dog teams, and ground searchers rappelling through steep terrain both above and below the cave trail.

Clues, as small as water bottles or other litter, detected from the air were checked by ground teams. NPS staff actively participated and assisted in the search effort.

Alternate Routes also searched
It is unknown what route Jerika took to get above the locked NPS gate and into the closed part of the hiking trail where the photos were taken. Adjacent scree slopes, animal trails, and other possible but unauthorized routes have been also searched multiple times.

Volunteer searchers must stay on trail within monument boundaries; safety is critical
The steep slopes above and below the cave trail are extremely dangerous. Falls and falling rock have caused injuries and fatalities to visitors, employees, and rescuers during past incidents. All park areas above and below the cave trail are closed to public entry at all times.

The NPS and UCSO conducted exhaustive searches of this area with highly trained and well equipped search and rescue personnel.

The park reminds everyone to stay on the paved trail and report any observations or information related to this case to rangers or the Utah County Sheriff for investigation.

The trail, park visitor center, and cave tours all open to general public access on Saturday, May 19.

https://www.nps.gov/tica/learn/news...-cave-assists-in-search-for-missing-woman.htm

So, the area is closed to the public in the winter. How common is it for people to run there when the area is closed? Why would she go there as it seems quite dangerous? Also, have they checked the Timpanogos cave in the park? Here's the page of the cave https://www.nps.gov/tica/planyourvisit/cavetours.htm as it says that it gets cold in the winter, about 45 F. Would she go to the cave alone not realizing that it may be dangerous?

My bet is that either foul play was involved or an accident. I doubt that she would just disappear to start a new life. How would she get a job or an apartment without an ID? The question is, where could her body be? Are there any streams in the area?

I just think she wouldn't leave behind a check if she purposely wanted to vanish. I'm 50/50. Since she was jogging in an area that can be terrain dangerous it's either that or foul play. What kind of wildlife is in that area? She's been basically missing for 2 months :(

According to the NPS, there are no really dangerous wildlife at the park except rattlesnakes, but they usually don't attack unless you disturb them or accidentally step on them. It is however a cliff area which has steep dropoffs. Here's a 2 minute video about potential safety risks at the park https://www.nps.gov/tica/planyourvisit/safety.htm

I wonder if she would run there often or it was her first time? It doesn't seem to be the best area for running....

UPDATE: it is not recommended to run on the trail according to the safety tips above. I wonder if she fell off the trail? If so, how far would she fall?

According to the NPS, there are no really dangerous wildlife at the park except rattlesnakes, but they usually don't attack unless you disturb them or accidentally step on them. It is however a cliff area which has steep dropoffs. Here's a 2 minute video about potential safety risks at the park https://www.nps.gov/tica/planyourvisit/safety.htm

I wonder if she would run there often or it was her first time? It doesn't seem to be the best area for running....

UPDATE: it is not recommended to run on the trail according to the safety tips above. I wonder if she fell off the trail? If so, how far would she fall?

I noticed the cement path/trail was broken up on the edge. If someone was running and went across it, they could roll their ankle and fall down. Which could be deadly if they hit their head on a rock.

The reason I asked about wildlife is b/c here on the east coast we have coyotes. We have bears too due to a lot of subdivisions being built in the SC/NC mountains. They're being pushed out of their area and coming across people while they're hiking.

Also rattle snakes usually come out in heat, idk how warm it was that day. This is really mystifying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some research on the accidents that happened at the trail over the years:

In general, the trail is quite safe, According to this article, https://www.heraldextra.com/news/op...cle_9ce89ad4-aac6-5754-9afe-bc78ee0a9166.html about 80 000 people climb up every year to visit the cave and many others use the trail to exercise.

There were two incidents in 2010 according to the article above. A park employee was riding a motorbike on the trail, it slipped over the edge, he fell off the trail and died. A second case involves an 11 year old girl who was on a field trip with her class. She fell off the trail and landed a hundred feet below. Luckily, she survived. In 2006, a Russian tourist tried to save a 3 year old girl who plunged off the trail. He fell hundreds of feet and died. The girl survived, two men risked their lives by climbing down and hold onto the girl until help arrived. It is noted in the article that the rescue team faced hazards in saving her and recovering the tourist's body. A 2006 article about the accident https://www.heraldextra.com/news/lo...cle_70d465e6-8f50-560f-9f6f-aaf961c6d68a.html

The day she went running it was a high of 52 degrees and cloudy that day. Low was 29 degrees. I can't remember what time she went but if it was in the morning it must've been chilly? I don't know what 52 degrees really feels like there. I know here in SC it isn't too bad.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slafrance74
Back