Found Deceased UT - Jerika Binks, 24, American Fork, 18 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
AMERICAN FORK — Authorities believe human remains found in American Fork Canyon Sunday night may be that of a Utah woman who went missing last year.

Utah County Sheriff's responded to a report of human remains found by a man who was climbing in the canyon near the Swinging Bridge picnic site, according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon.

He said the body may be of Jerika Binks, a 24-year-old American Fork woman who was reported missing on Feb. 18, 2018, after she had left her home to go running.

Authorities: Remains found in American Fork Canyon believed to be missing Utah woman

I hope for closure for her family's sake. I was always fearful that she might have fallen. There are some seriously steep drop-offs on that trail to the point they warn you to hug up tight to the mountain when hiking and avoid the edge. I'm glad that she's been found and hopefully they can confirm it shortly.

Utah County Sheriff's Office Press Release:

“Human Remains Found in American Fork Canyon”
Posted On : 4/15/2019 2:23:44 PM

A man climbing in a remote ravine in American Fork Canyon found human remains. The remains may be those of Jerika Binks, but positive identification has yet to be made.

*** PRESS RELEASE *** April 15, 2019

“On April 14, 2019, shortly before 8:30 PM, Deputies with the Utah County Sheriff's Office were dispatched to contact a man who said he found human remains while climbing in American Fork Canyon. Deputies and Detectives responded to an area near mile marker 10 on SR-92, near Swinging Bridge picnic site. The man said he hikes regularly in that area but had never before hiked in this particular ravine. The terrain is extremely rugged and steep and the remains were located on the north side of the canyon about 850 feet above the floor of the canyon. Several personal items were located with the remains that are consistent with descriptions of property known to be owned by Jerika Binks as described by family members and friends. Jerika Binks was 24 when she was last seen and has been missing since she left from a home near American Fork to go running on February 18, 2018. While there was evidence of injury, there is no evidence at this stage of the investigation to suggest foul play was involved in this death. The remains were recovered this morning, April 15, and have been taken to the Medical Examiner's office in Taylorsville where positive identification will be made and, hopefully, cause and manner of death can be determined.

For questions contact Sergeant Spencer Cannon, Public Information Officer, Utah County Sheriff's Office.

(801)404-1912 - Mobile

(801)851-4333 - Office

Twitter: @SGTCannonPIO and @UCSO” (BBM)

upload_2019-4-15_22-57-36.jpeg
Utah County Sheriff's Office - Media

Rest In Peace, Jerika. I hope you didn’t suffer.

Human remains, possibly Jerika Binks, found in American Fork Canyon
5cb4f8cc5005a.image.jpg

Sgt. Spencer Cannon, with the UCSO, said the place the remains were found is a drainage area, not a hiking trail.

"This is not an area where people say, 'Hey, let's go for a hike,'" Cannon said. "If it was, they would have found her sooner. The gentleman who found her hikes there frequently, but that ravine, that was the first time he had ever climbed up that drainage."

The deputies responded to the area, near the Swinging Bridge picnic site, which the press release says contained extremely rugged and steep terrain. The human remains were located on the north side of the canyon, about 850 feet above the floor of the canyon. Personal items were located with the remains that are consistent with what Binks had on her at the time of her disappearance, the press release said.
The press release says that there is no evidence at this stage of the investigation to suggest foul play was involved in the death, though the remains showed evidence of injuries. The remains were recovered Monday morning, and have been taken to the Medical Examiner's Office in Taylorsville, where positive identification will be made.

Cannon said they hope to have a positive identification on the remains by the end of the day Tuesday, depending on the availability of personnel to examine dental records. The condition of the body was consistent with the amount of time Binks has been missing, Cannon said.

"We feel pretty strongly that this is Jerika," Cannon said. "But we don't want to say with 100 percent certainty."
Human remains, possibly Jerika Binks, found in American Fork Canyon

What a tragic loss her death is for her family and friends, if this is confirmed as Jerika's remains. I hope that they are able to find comfort in the fact that Jerika was doing something she enjoyed doing when, most likely, a horrible accident happened. I'm so glad that this random hiker decided to explore this area. RIP Jerika.

Banks was staying at a residential treatment center in American Fork and told a roommate she was going for a run. She never returned to the treatment centre

What kind of treatment centre was this? My first thought was that this was a suicide, and the fact that she was at some sort of treatment facility only makes me more confident of that theory.

What kind of treatment centre was this? My first thought was that this was a suicide, and the fact that she was at some sort of treatment facility only makes me more confident of that theory.
This video shows the terrain she fell from. It's not a sheer cliff, where you would just jump and die on impact, there's a lot of stuff to hit, hang up or, or bounce off of which could possibly bring a lot of pain but not necessarily death. After looking at it I'm thinking an accidental tumble down the hill while running and she either died on impact or from injury thereafter. I hope she did not suffer. Video: Remains found in Utah canyon believed to be woman who went missing in 2018

I have talked to people that know her, and I honestly believe this was a tragic accident. She was getting her life on track, and physical exercise was helping her to achieve that goal. MOO - this was just an accident, and I am glad that they found her so that her family can rest knowing where she is.

I hope there was also a severe head injury. I'd hate to think that she was up there injured and people just weren't looking in the correct spot.

Jerika was caught on camera running on Timp trail. She was found on the other side of the canyon road however. So the areas that they were searching were likely on the wrong side of the canyon road.

We've had that scenario more than once in our canyons already. Very unnerving and guilt inducing if she could have been saved. :(

Jerika Ann Alvey Binks

For a little over a year now, you have searched for me with All Your Hearts.

Thank you all for your efforts to bring me home.

Thank you for never giving up.

Thank you for the love and support you have shown my family.

I was with you every step of the way.

I invite you to come and celebrate my life on May 18th, 1:30 pm-3:00 pm at the West Mountain Ward Bowery 5237 West 10400 South, Payson, UT.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jangelyn
Back