UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presenting the PreNup?

snipped for focus. @neesaki Wait, what???
Eric's Mother "presented" the prenup?

I'm trying to imagine how this could have transpired.
Presumably drafted by atty on Eric's behalf? Maybe at his fam's request?
(Or a doc. Eric - or Mom - completed from online template at DIY legal website?
"W your prenup doc. now, get a free tutorial: DIY Brain & Heart Surgery.")
With or without disclosure of financials of each?
Executed by Eric?
Witnessed? Notarized?
Presented to Kouri?
On wedding day?
///ETA: Saying what? "Sign here or else." ///

Srsly? No opportunity for Kouri to consult w atty to advise her?
Any links w info about the prenup presentation? Anyone?

I'm no attorney, but I've always heard that a prenup that's presented as a fait accompli (especially on the wedding day!) and with no attorney for the spouse would be looked on pretty dubiously by the court.

Could KR have simply divorced Eric and gotten the money she wanted in a settlement after the prenup was invalidated?

Possible motive? KR greed got the best of her. moo

Eric Richins and his wife, Kouri Richins, had a premarital agreement on June 15, 2013, establishing that each did not have rights to one other’s “present or future income, property or assets” except if Eric Richins died while the two were lawfully married, his partnership interest in his business would transfer to Kouri Richins, the court document revealed. Among Eric Richins’ premarital property is his Kamas home located in Summit County.

Note to self: Remove any "except if I die while married" clauses from any future pre-nups.

This woman is a real piece of work. If she's the type of total narcissist I suspect she is, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole writing a book for the children was in some ways to get them to stop crying for their dead daddy. We have seen many times where the killer can't even comprehend that other people might miss the person that they oh so conveniently got rid of (Frazee, Stauch) then are caught off guard when people can't seem to just get over it and have a big party in their new monstrosity of a house the day after.

I hope, for the sake of the children, that I am wrong, and she at least gave them some semblance of comfort, even if they didn't know it was fake.

Eric's First Marriage Ended in Divorce.
Eric was married previously, and divorced. I don't think it was an easy divorce and this might have been what prompted his mother to present a pre-nup to Kouri. I also don't think anyone in his family liked her at all.
Sadly, Eric's first wife died in a car accident some time after the divorce. Her vehicle was rear-ended by a speeding truck at a stop light and burst into flames.
It would be interesting to know how long after the divorce and the ex-wife's death Eric met Kouri.
@Herat Thanks for your post about this difficult divorce background info. It helps explain why a groom's parent may expect son to have a prenup governing terms of prop division etc., even if doubting prospective dau-in-law is looking for monetary gain.

In reading obit, I do not recall any mention of children from first marriage or about fact of first marriage itself.
ETA: Yes, I'm curious about the time gap. Was relationship & marriage #2 made on the rebound?

Last edited:
Have y'all tried standing on your left foot, holding your nose and making a frownie face while attempting to view it... works every time for me ;)

Seriously, I'm sorry the embedded link doesn't work for everyone. :(
If ya'll just give up your %^&$ Apple devices, I promise to share my Lenovo laptop's lifetime supply of spare screws with you! ;)

Eric's First Marriage, Ended in Divorce.

@Herat Thanks for your post about this difficult divorce background info. It helps explain why a groom's parent may expect son to have a prenup governing terms of prop division etc., even if doubting prospective dau-in-law is looking for monetary gain.

In reading obit, I do not recall any mention of children from first marriage or about fact of first marriage itself.

The obituary I saw had to have been written by Kouri as it was so sarcastic and disrespectful of Eric's death. I see no reason why she would mention a prior marriage.

I'm no attorney, but I've always heard that a prenup that's presented as a fait accompli (especially on the wedding day!) and with no attorney for the spouse would be looked on pretty dubiously by the court.

Could KR have simply divorced Eric and gotten the money she wanted in a settlement after the prenup was invalidated?
I doubt it. She was an educated adult when she married, and signed the prenup regardless of the timing. JMO

If Eric met Kouri in 2013 and they have a 10 year old son, she became pregnant fairly soon after they met, it would appear.
2013 is still too recent for that. Does anyone know if any of the children were adopted?

Most likely, his prior marriage was childless. Does anyone know if SHE was married before, and if so, what happened to HIM?

So, theories regarding the fentanyl purchased after his death? Was she another Lori Daybell?? Was she planning on either poisoning the kids or her sister-in-law in order to get her hands on his estate? If so, I wonder why they are still alive since it took over a year to arrest her. She really is something else! She and Lori have proven that women can be especially evil too!

When did the cause of death get established? I wonder if she had the intention that you mentioned (esp. regarding the SIL), but then lost her nerve when Eric's COD was determined. But that only makes sense if she knew the COD before "chickening out."

Not a street-type drug dealer, I presume.

*snipped by me - already mentioned

If the dealer was one of the subcontractors or other tradesmen she used in her realty business, writing a check would not have been scrutinized and she could be paying him/her from her real estate business and deducting it from her taxes as a business expense.

She could have been doing this for a long time and no one would be the wiser.

Last edited:
If the dealer was one of the subcontractors or other tradesmen she used in her realty business, writing a check would not have been scrutinized and she could be paying him/her from her real estate business and deducting it from her taxes as a business expense.

She could have been doing this for a long time and no one would be the wiser.

I agree. 'Sounds like someone she had been doing (regular & irregular) business with.

If Eric met Kouri in 2013 and they have a 10 year old son, she became pregnant fairly soon after they met, it would appear.
It's been reported they married in 2013 (June 15)-- not that they met in 2013.

According to the co-worker from Home Depot that introduced the couple, seems they met a decade before his death.

Just saw this on NBC News, and guess what? My bestie's primary home is in Park City and she lived in Kamas for a few years and her ex still does (although the mailing address is technically Francis). It's a very small place! She's in Italy for a wedding right now but I'm gonna see what all I can dig up or maybe bring her here as a verified local.
ETA: Just looked up the addresses, they lived in the same subdivision, a 4-minute drive and less than a mile apart.

In the meantime, the NBC story said KR asked "CL" to leave more fentanyl at her fire pit after she had already killed her husband? So was she a fentanyl addict herself? How on earth did she rack up the amount of debt they're talking about? I know some people in that area spend an absurd amount of money, but they're buying outdoor sports equipment and jewelry and art... stuff she couldn't have really hid from her husband, right?

Idk….. But at this point, I‘m Beginning to think she might have had someone else in line to kill ! I know I wouldn’t put it past her!

Presenting the PreNup?

snipped for focus. @neesaki Wait, what???
Eric's Mother "presented" the prenup?

I'm trying to imagine how this could have transpired.
Presumably drafted by atty on Eric's behalf? Maybe at his fam's request?
(Or a doc. Eric - or Mom - completed from online template at DIY legal website?
"W your prenup doc. now, get a free tutorial: DIY Brain & Heart Surgery.")
With or without disclosure of financials of each?
Executed by Eric?
Witnessed? Notarized?
Presented to Kouri?
On wedding day?
///ETA: Saying what? "Sign here or else." ///

Srsly? No opportunity for Kouri to consult w atty to advise her?
Any links w info about the prenup presentation? Anyone?
Hey @al66pine , that’s how we’ve been told it was done. Kind of , sprung on her on the wedding day. By her future MIL.

I know, Weird, as it is, doesn’t give her the right to murder him. But it seems like it would have been an odd and uncomfortable situation, in the least. Right? Not a great way to start a new marriage for sure, right?
That’s essentially all I know.

Yeah... it does seem kinda strange that they didn't go to the lawyer together to write it. That is what every single one of the few couples I know with prenups did. I wonder how it was handled? Just like, sign this along with the marriage license or this wedding doesn't happen? Was his money family money and so the family got involved even though he didn't necessarily want a prenup?

I'm also shocked about the check to the fentanyl dealer! Not only is that extremely dumb, but she's 33 years old right? I'm in my early 40s, and I haven't even possessed a paper checkbook in years. I did not think millennials did checks at all. We know the dealer has been called a friend of KR's in the MSM, and some have speculated more-than-friends (wink) so maybe they were hoping to pass it off as a loan to a bud in need?

This whole case is just WILD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members