UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah (ABC4) — Kouri Richins, the Utah mother and children’s book author accused of poisoning and killing her husband with fentanyl, is back in court for a status hearing on Friday, Nov. 3.

You can follow along with the hearing with the live stream right here on ABC4.com starting at 1:30 p.m.
[snip]
In addition to scheduling a preliminary hearing, Judge Mrazik is expected to hear arguments from both state prosecutors and defense lawyers regarding the “Walk The Dog” controversy.
Judge expected to hear ‘Walk the Dog’ arguments in Kouri Richins case

"I do not believe in my heart Kouri could ever not just kill Eric, but kill anything or anyone."

Um... I think when you put that many negatives in there, you're actually saying she'd kill absolutely anyone or thing. Maybe not the character witness support she needs right now.

MOO
I had just written my post about this, and you got to it first!

There is so much off with that sentence, especially if, in speaking, she hit the word KILL.

Back to what really matters: I have to see Skye's outfit.

MOMENTS AWAY: a much anticipated hearing for the mother of 3 #KouriRichins accused of poisoning her husband & then authoring a children’s book on grief..

The judge will hear arguments on:
•State’s Motion for No Contact Order
•Defendant’s Motion to Enforce Gag Order and for Contempt Sanctions
•Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss Due to Prosecutorial Misconduct

It’s a packed house inside the courtroom already!

The first Motion argued was the Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss Due to Prosecutorial MisconductIt was DENIED.

The judge is confident the court can ensure #KouriRIchins will receive a fair trial with extra precautions during jury selection, etc..

Kouri Richins - the Utah child book author accused of killing her husband - appeared court again today. Her defense filed a motion to dismiss the case and charges because of the state’s handling of letters found in her jail cell. The judge denied that motion.

The court is also denying the state’s motion to prevent Kouri Richins from speaking with her mom and brother. The judge says Richins has first amendment rights to correspond with who she pleases.

Skye Lazaro, one of Richins’ attorneys, said in court that prosecutors crossed the line by filing a motion that characterized Richins as guilty of witness tampering without filing additional charges or a criminal complaint.

While the judge argued that the letter itself may be introduced at trial, thus rendering pre-trial publicity of it moot, Lazaro argued that the state’s public filing tainted the jury pool: “The problem is that there is where the state has interpreted the letter in the way they want and has put out to the world and all the potential jurors that Kouri is lying.”

In response, Judge Richard Mrazik acknowledged the intense media attention the case has received, noting it’s even been seen overseas.

“This case was covered by the BBC. I don’t know that you’ll find a jurisdiction that is, certainly not in the state of Utah, that is going to be materially different than Summit County given the media saturation of this case.”
[snip]
Taking up the motion for a no-contact order between Richins and her mother and brother due to allegations of witness tampering, Mrazik said he was inclined to deny the motion, largely because the “cat’s out of the bag” and the prosecution was aware of what she was saying because they had both her calls and the letter.

In return, Bloodworth proposed an order where Richins would only be allowed to speak to her mother and brother in the presence of counsel.

Lazaro argued that the state was alleging a crime without affording Richins any due process, and argued that the existence of the letter doesn’t translate to witness tampering.

Mrazik denied the state’s motion for a no-contact order, saying that the “status quo is that defendants’ communications with everyone, except her lawyer, are monitored, and the court is in no position to make that easier for the state.”
Judge denies Kouri Richins' request to dismiss charges

RULINGS THUS FAR:

- State’s Motion for No Contact Order - DENIED
- Defendant’s Motion to Enforce Order and for Contempt Sanctions - DENIED
- Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss Due to Prosecutorial Misconduct– DENIED

NOW the judge is hearing a State’s Motion to Compel Good Cause Disclosures where they want access to any non-privileged writings contained in an envelope found in the defendant’s jail cell, which are now in the possession of her attorneys…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme