UT - Kylen Schulte, 24, & Crystal Beck, 38, newlywed couple found dead, Grand County, 18 Aug 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Three search warrants - some content revealed

The couple had an A-1 storage unit with multiple phones inside (there's a better report somewhere, I'm still looking for it), along with drugs and drug paraphernalia.

No word on what kind of drugs.
Was the storage unit something they used for their possessions they couldn’t fit in a van? Hopefully the mention of drugs doesn’t take away from fact these two women were sexually assaulted and murdered. I know it puts people at ease when a murder victim can be blamed or something they were doing can be, but no one is safe until their killer or killers are caught.

Could the creepy man followed them from a place of employment. I don’t know the area at all so forgive my ignorance. Did they tend to go to the same area in the park or communicate with other people on social media about places that they stayed at or that other people had? You wonder if a pervert gets off on watching women in situations where they are more vulnerable. Some men get furious when they feel rejected by your choice of a partner. If he realized they were a couple it could have set him off. JMO.
I wonder if there have been peeping tom reports in the town, or if any other sexual assaults were reported.

Could the creepy man followed them from a place of employment. I don’t know the area at all so forgive my ignorance. Did they tend to go to the same area in the park or communicate with other people on social media about places that they stayed at or that other people had? You wonder if a pervert gets off on watching women in situations where they are more vulnerable. Some men get furious when they feel rejected by your choice of a partner. If he realized they were a couple it could have set him off. JMO.
I wonder if there have been peeping tom reports in the town, or if any other sexual assaults were reported.

I don't know the area either, but just to jog everyone's memory, Kylen worked at Moonflower Co-Op and Crystal worked at McDonald's. Imo, it is definitely possible the creepy man followed one of them from their workplace and gotten furious that she was a lesbian and not interested in him, and flew into a violent fit of rage. Maybe he didn't even talk to them: he just saw the wives happy together and just flew into a rage, they didn't even have to reject him verbally. Horrible.

From what I have read, I'm unsure if they went to the same campsite every night, but I assume they would at least stay in one place for a while, based off the conversation they had with their friend at the tavern where they told her that they wanted to move campsites because of the creepy guy. Based off that, I assume they had been there for a while or at least in the area. Long enough for the creepy guy to become familiar with their routines.

The drugs found was just some weed and weed paraphernalia, so I definitely don't think that had anything to do with their death, and of course no one should be victim-blamed regardless of what drugs they ingested! I just can't imagine it's uncommon for laid-back Moab van-life people to have a few joints.

If they were found “a few miles” from Warner Lake then it wasn’t the campground there. I’ve camped at that campground before and it is right next to the lake.

Also for what it’s worth the campsites there are very close together and I am confident they would have been found sooner if that’s where they were.

There are a number of dispersed camping sites on the road leading up there, that would be my guess as to where they were.

I'm late to this thread, not sure if already asked... Are you saying they weren't killed at their campsite but possibly taken a few miles away? Like at gunpoint?

I keep wondering why no one heard a struggle, scream, etc. at a campsite area. Unless they were held at gun point and instructed not to make a sound.

I'm late to this thread, not sure if already asked... Are you saying they weren't killed at their campsite but possibly taken a few miles away? Like at gunpoint?

I keep wondering why no one heard a struggle, scream, etc. at a campsite area. Unless they were held at gun point and instructed not to make a sound.
I'm not the OP but I'm pretty sure they were killed at their campsite. The friend who found them did not make any reference to needing to hike any great distance from their campsite before finding the bodies.

What I assume OP was saying was that they probably were not camped at the specific campground mentioned.

In fact I thought I read (IMO) that they were not camped at a formal campground at all. MOO

While it's far from certain, I believe it was the creepy camper. Why?

It sounds like these two women were 'bad-*advertiser censored* and knew how to defend themselves', so likely weren't put off too much by strange people. If someone creeped them out to the point that they pointed it out to others and said they would have to move camping spots, then their sixth-sense might have been bang on.

The other reason I am leaning toward the creeper theory is that the location where they were killed is isolated. how many people would they come across in that location? And yet they specifically mentioned a weirdo in that location.

And, finally, the manner in which they were killed implies rage with multiple shots in various parts of their bodies. Not a simple 'get off my land' kind of thing.

Regarding the half-nude aspect, I don't know what to think about that. If they were just bathing then I'd expect them to be fully naked. They could have been having sex and the killer was watching them and it offended him. Or, the killer could have made them strip to confirm they were both women and/or simply to show power over them by demeaning them.

Hopefully the FBI can move this case forward and get justice for Kylen & Crystal.

I agree, what are the odds camping close to someone way out there?

To add though - sounds like rage or perhaps personal in some way which would make sense of 'no threat to public' but maybe that's because LE thinks killer has fled area. I find that confusing...

<modsnip - link is not MSM>

The drugs found was just some weed and weed paraphernalia, so I definitely don't think that had anything to do with their death, and of course no one should be victim-blamed regardless of what drugs they ingested! I just can't imagine it's uncommon for laid-back Moab van-life people to have a few joints.

I agree that no one should be victim blamed for drug use and also agree that marijuana use could well be fairly common in Moab.

In a drug based scenario, however, I dont think the crime would have been committed because they use marijuana. Rather, the motive would more likely to be the proverbial $500 drug debt gone bad.

Though over kill violence regarding minor drug debts is relatively rare, it does happen- and will happen again. As a result, such a motive cannot be ruled out and should be explored.

I wonder if the victims were known to host low key parties at their isolated camp site that featured marijuana use and perhaps a dealer?

Double murder over such a debt would still be very rare, but one factor that could excacerbate such a possible debt could be Moab's isolation. Marijuana is illegal in Utah and Moab may not be large enough to support wholesale level dealers.

Though it is legal in parts of Colorado, many of the counties in the western part of the state do permit cultivation, sales etc. As a result, replenishment of a dealer's inventory may involve a long drive. This could give a greater impact to a small debt.

Escaped sex offender John Colt captured after three months on the run

Escaped sex offender John Freeman Colt, who walked out of the Sexual Predator Treatment Program of Larned State Hospital on June 30, has been captured in Utah.

I almost think he could be the guy. If he was hiding out there in the bush after escaped it would make sense to run into the women in such an isolated area.

About his crimes (BBM):

"... initially sentenced to five years in state prison in December of 2001 for aggravated sexual battery, attempted rape, aggravated burglary and four counts of aggravated battery against law enforcement. Colt was required to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life and after his criminal sentence, Kansas courts deemed him “a Sexually Violent Predator at high risk to commit a future sex offense and too dangerous to be released.”

"but officials say he could be traveling or camping in or around state or national parks throughout Colorado, Missouri, New Mexico, South Dakota, Texas or Utah."

"he hitchhiked to the town of Larned before riding off in a motorcycle he purchased through the help of an accomplice, according to the U.S. Marshals Service." (BBM)

Perhaps the accomplice set him up with a gun as well.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article254432068.html

Escaped sex offender John Colt captured after three months on the run

I'm not the OP but I'm pretty sure they were killed at their campsite. The friend who found them did not make any reference to needing to hike any great distance from their campsite before finding the bodies.

What I assume OP was saying was that they probably were not camped at the specific campground mentioned.

In fact I thought I read (IMO) that they were not camped at a formal campground at all. MOO

The exact gps coordinates were posted earlier. The location is here:

Google Maps

I presume they were right by the creek.

I do think Colt could be responsible but why did LE say there was no threat to the community? That’s what throws me.

I've been wondering this the whole time as well.

Someone in this thread posted something along the lines that maybe they meant no threat to that particularly surrounding community/area as LE knew the suspect fled the area after the crime. Then I wonder if that's the case there would be a warning to the "community at large". So I'm still wondering about that as well!

Someone in this thread posted something along the lines that maybe they meant no threat to that particularly surrounding community/area as LE knew the suspect fled the area after the crime. Then I wonder if that's the case there would be a warning to the "community at large". So I'm still wondering about that as well!
From Torrey, the general area where Colt was captured, to Moab is about a 2.5 hour drive. While there are other towns closer, Moab would certainly be at least one place I would go to for supplies if I was hiding out. And that is presuming he stayed near Torrey since spotted in early August. A guy that has spent close to 2 decades in prison or psychiatric treatment without being deemed fit for society sounds “creepy” to me. If he is indeed the guilty party, I suspect we will hear about it sooner rather than later.

They could also mean "as long as you're not a same-sex couple."

They're probably also taking into account that it's pretty rare for a killer to commit another murder in the immediate area right away. And LE also tends to think, "you should always be taking precautions."

I agree, it's likely that if it is Colt, it won't be long before they announce something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nosey2b
Back