UT UT - Macin Smith, 17, St George, 1 Sept 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just saw a movie regarding something like this..^^^^^^
It was on Sunday on one of the Lifetime channels.... the Alex Cooper Story.

The parents were very mean spirited , ( the parents she was sent to live with ) imo, and Alex had all kinds of rules to follow.
Her parents were trying to take the gay away.

I've been following this case on and off for the past couple of years. The only two things I can think may have happened are:
1. He ran away. For whatever reason, Macin wanted to start over.
2. His parents have something to do with his disappearance. Their behavior has always seemed peculiar to me. Their story and the details they have shared have not been consistent. They also don't seem to be doing much to seek him out and find him. At first they were, but that was four years ago.

Just saw the Disappeared episode. Really I love watching these things but at the same time often get the feeling of an entire page missing somehow. Definitely had that feeling with this episode. That there is more going on than most of us know. The relationship Macin had with his parents seemed...uh... 'problematic'... and one of the ways I mean that is I couldn't tell what that relationship really was... It was quite strange to hear the father being described as 'agnostic' in an LDS family. That didn't make much sense. Ejay's perspective makes too much sense. So I think there are several currents going on that people that know have shied away from talking in any depth about. One of those things is what happened the last time something like this happened..!?!

What was really going on with Macin? Was he really so depressed - and something so out of kilter about his situation - that he would think getting away would do the trick? And Ejay's profile of his thinking makes me wonder if this is what really happened this time. His parents seem to love him - they are divorced now I think - and maybe both with other partners - but it does strike me there is something in the family dynamic that is dissonant and has never been made clear.

I understand the reasons they give for not making public that letter... I have to admit all the reasons seem pretty thin to me. If you really want to find your son wouldn't you open up to everybody in case someone might see something in it you don't? Instead they seem more worried about embarrassment and infringing upon the privacy of Macin… who doesn't even seem to be part of the situation. Something is wrong here.

I suspect like Ejay suggests he may have had a plan... of some kind. The way his exit was put together really seems to lead you there more you think about it. Of course his parents are completely clueless. Too often the case. And probably is a result of that dissonance... so I do think he wont be found. Though he would stick out wherever he is... he doesn't want contact with his family … and he will I think make sure that happens if ever only on his terms... don't think it will... they probably have some idea why. It may be in that note. But we don't know the details. Don't think they want everybody to know... uh... everything. I don't think Macin ... cares...

The other thing I have wondered... has Macin kept up with his search... out of curiosity... is he one of those reading our speculations? Has he made his comment... alas if he is alive and has visited here... unless he wants to unmask we will never know. Of course I've wondered the same about others... missing people are all different and I haven't wondered that about all of them... but definitely wonder about Macin.

Anyone know how far this is from where Macin went missing?

Decomposed human remains found in Cedar City

I don’t think it’s extremely far from where he went missing. But honestly missing people can end up anywhere in the world. I wonder when that autopsy will be complete because as it states in the article the remains were so decomposed that they wouldn’t even tell the gender and that they will know more when the autopsy is complete.

Anyone know how far this is from where Macin went missing?

Decomposed human remains found in Cedar City

I don’t think it’s extremely far from where he went missing. But honestly missing people can end up anywhere in the world. I wonder when that autopsy will be complete because as it states in the article the remains were so decomposed that they wouldn’t even tell the gender and that they will know more when the autopsy is complete.
An interesting comment posted by TN 3 hours ago (I also found a screenshot of the post KM commented about 1 hour ago):
FOX 13 News

So probably not Macin, IMO.

Written by or for St. George News
January 6, 2020
ST. GEORGE — Investigators have identified the skeletal remains found in Cedar City as Johnny Dale Rollins, who went missing from his home in Cedar City in 2018.

[SBM]

After the discovery of the body, investigators from the Cedar City Police department along with representatives from the Iron County Sheriff’s Office and the Office of the Medical examiner recovered the skeletal remains and sent the body to the Medical Examiner’s office for an autopsy. During the autopsy, a wallet containing identification belonging to Rollins was discovered, according to a press release. Additionally, dental records confirmed that the deceased subject was Rollins.

Rollins was first reported missing from his home in March 2018. At the time he was reported missing, family members indicated that he had health issues related to a previous stroke as well as early stages Alzheimer’s. Mr. Rollins was known to walk great distances around the Cedar City area. Multiple searches for Mr. Rollins were conducted at the time he went missing without success.

A Cedar City News reporter who went to the location where the body was found said Rollins was discovered approximately 2 miles away from his home.

[SBM]”
Investigators identify body found in Cedar City

Rest In Peace, Mr. Rollins.

ETA: not new article here - just sharing to BUMP for Macin
Carlie Wall enlists in #macinsarmy with music video for Macin Smith - The Independent | News Events Opinion More
macinsmith.jpg

Sadly, I believe Macin is no longer alive :(
He was depressed and seemed to be dealing with some other things (possible homosexuality, religion, etc) and IMO, he was fed up with everything and sadly he ended his life.

I too suffer from depression and anxiety. Other than going to work, most of my communication is done through text message or online via FB or video games. If someone were to take away my means of communication, I’d be pretty upset too.

Does anyone know if the LE in St. George contacted the RCMP in Okotoks to see if he had possibly returned here or if he had maybe made contact with his friends here and told them of any possible plans he had?

Wow.. it’s hard to believe that in 3.5 months it could quite possibly reach the 5 year mark )=

I don’t think anyone would’ve imagined 5 years without a single confirmed sighting or solid lead. I will say myself and a sometimes a few locals / family members are still out searching every week or two, and I don’t plan on giving up. I don’t know where Macin is, but I do know doing nothing doesn’t make me feel good.

I will say there have been so many kind souls along the way. There’s an amazing drone team, Western States Aerial Search, who are so kind and humble that they’d even hate being mentioned by name. I hope it’s cool to link them here : Utah drone searchers may have solved missing hiker’s disappearance at California national park

they have a FB page as well, and have helped with many missing persons cases. They come out a few times a year to St. George, and we tackle some of the spots that are dangerous or would take a whole SAR team to cross off. Red Rock Search and Rescue has been amazing, we have gone off their original search areas and tried to grid off any areas of interest and mark them off one by one. The sad truth is that most (I would never say ALL) of the local area has been covered.

It’s tough to accurately understand the terrain of St. George. There are some areas you truly could be within 10 feet of remains and not realize. Just recently, there was a possible set of remains in rural Utah that matched characteristic and clothing wise, that we worked with NamUs to rule out as being Macin. One thing I’ve witnessed over the years is how much the bluff behind the home (they had at the time of Macin’s disappearance) has changed. It used to be “in middle of the desert,” desolate, territory, and now is full of houses, paved paths, and much foot traffic. It’s almost unrecognizable to what it would have been in 2015. Even from the last large search (I believe it was 2018) so much has changed.

I think it’s so amazing to read some of these posts, stories, and personal connections. Not only in Macins, but many missing person cases and forums. Ejay, you have some good insights and ways of thinking outside the box. I appreciate when people can be proactive and offer possibilities and probabilities rather than judgement and accusations. It’s helpful, and hopeful. Anything is possible, I think there’s a lot of circumstantial things that can take you one way or the other here. I want to believe :)

Anyways, didn’t mean to jump on a soapbox! Got rambling a bit. Just wanted to give somewhat of an update of sorts. There are a few things in the works always. Thanks for everyone keeping the missing in the headlines and unforgotten, you’re great! It’s astounding to me how many current missing there are at any given time, and so many agencies don’t have the funding or manpower to pursue them long term. It’s truly on us to help each other out.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender

1283D153-64C7-4968-80C5-A1804F48B38D.jpeg

There are several thoughts that keep going through my mind. I feel like these need to be cleared up to my satisfaction before I can conclude that this was a suicide.

1. How does a multi-page folded note go unnoticed in a wallet? There are only so many folds and pockets. And a note is going to be fairly obvious. This is probably the one thing that points a finger toward the family. After all, they are the ones who had access to the wallet. The only other explanation I can think of is that Macin somehow made it back to his house unnoticed in the days after his disappearance to plant the note. Have police stated that the handwriting is definitely Macin's own?

2. Why would police not say that the results of the lie detector tests were negative? I believe I heard that the results of at least one parent, if not both, were not released. The only conclusion I can draw is that someone on the tests caused them concern.

3. Did police test the house as a possible crime scene? I am thinking no. I am thinking that at least several days passed before a thorough search of the home took place. I say this because they missed the note and had not taken possession of the wallet as evidence. As many sleuthers know, early examination of a crime scene often reveals not only evidence such as blood residue but also incriminating signs of an attempt to cover up evidence through heavy cleaning and sometimes even removal of flooring, painting of walls, etc.

As a father of a 17-year-old child, I hate to be asking those kinds of questions. I can relate to what these parents must have experienced with Macin. A few years ago, my son and I got into a heated argument over video games and his attitude on Christmas Eve of all times. It got loud and we locked arms in the living room, and I pushed him against a wall because he lost control of himself after I threw his XBox remote out the front door. Thankfully, our relationship is mostly back to normal. But raising a teenage son is not easy for us dads. I have had to bite my lip many times as he has made poor choices that have affected his future. He gave up sports even though he was going to be a starter on the high school baseball team. We constantly have to bother him about his grades. He spends almost all of his time playing video games and eating. He's putting on weight like crazy and has few friends. But he also lost a close friend in a car crash when he was 15 and lost his first girlfriend the same spring. All of this is just to say that, if something happened to Macin in his home, it's time to start the healing process by coming forward to tell the truth. If something happened, I'm sure it was not a purposeful act. And if nothing happened, then please ease my mind by providing a good explanation to the questions that I have.

Lastly, it's common for a body to be overlooked during searches. And it seems that there is a lot of terrain to cover in that area. Also, I am wondering if there were other kids Macin knew who missed school that day. They might have ditched school for a senior day off, and Macin could have run into trouble with some other students or because of alcohol or drugs at a party.

@CluelessWonder Would your son consider counseling or antidepressant medication? I have a child much younger but can already tell he'll end up battling depression as a teen or sooner. It's darn sad and parenting is hard.

I'll have to go back and re-read the small details in Macin's case, but I wouldn't put too much meaning into polygraph test results for his parents. Polygraphs really aren't accurate.

My feeling on Macin, and this is just my current opinion, is that he felt too pressured and he left voluntarily. And that his parents didn't want to fully reveal the contents of his note.... hence they hesitated to bring it forward immediately. I don't believe the public deserves to know what's in the note but LE needed to know.
MOO.

Disappeared, the show is not long and lots of edits I'm certain for time. So, it seemed everything changed when Dad came home.
Macin was doing well according to his mom. Maybe mom was more lenient and dad taking away his computer and cell phone didn't go well.

But, missing that note still bothers me, because she had looked in his wallet previously.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back