Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #19 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Former prosecutor: Evidence in Mackenzie Lueck murder case circumstantial

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – ABC4 has obtained search warrant documents connected with the murder of a University of Utah student last month.

Ayoola Ajayi was expected to face a judge Monday, but the hearing postponed.

ABC4 obtained search warrant documents in connection with the murder of Mackenzie Lueck. Her body found bound in Logan Canyon.

We showed the documents to former prosecutor Kent Morgan who they are some of the most detailed he’s ever seen.

But he says he doesn’t see any obvious proof — that prosecutors have a case based on witness testimony.

“I see nothing but circumstantial evidence, and all that circumstantial evidence talks about the disposal of a body. None of that evidence talks about the commission of a homicide and killing Ms. Lueck.”

Ajayi is scheduled to be back in court on August 26.

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 News) – ABC4 has obtained search warrant documents connected with the murder of a University of Utah student last month.

ABC4 obtained search warrant documents in connection with the murder of Mackenzie Lueck. Her body found bound in Logan Canyon.

We showed the documents to former prosecutor Kent Morgan who they are some of the most detailed he’s ever seen.

But he says he doesn’t see any obvious proof — that prosecutors have a case based on witness testimony.

“I see nothing but circumstantial evidence, and all that circumstantial evidence talks about the disposal of a body. None of that evidence talks about the commission of a homicide and killing Ms. Lueck.”

I don't know if it aggravates anyone else or not, but I'm so tired of attorneys being dismissive of circumstantial evidence when the USSC has said definitively it carries as much powerful weight, and even more so in many cases than direct evidence testimony.

That is why CE cases are the least likely cases to ever be overturned on appeal.

Most cases ARE CE cases. We just had two big trials which were based on CE evidence. Daron Wint was convicted, and sentenced to LWOP. Charles Merritt was convicted, and the jury recommended he be sentenced to death.

Imo, defense attorneys are really scared to death of CE cases for they know juries convicted most defendants far more often on CE than strictly direct evidence cases. It's a ploy used by DTs meant to deceive. Imo

Imo, They actually prefer direct evidence cases because they can argue the eye witnesses can be wrong.

I just wish they would all be honest for a change.

It's like all defense attorneys have this same statement tattooed on their forehead so they make sure to always say it. They constantly regurgitated the same old tired line ad nauseam.

Yet time, and time again juries do NOT believe their dismissive spiel about the weight CE carries.

It also is aggravating the media seems to always says a former prosecutor when what they should have just said they asked a defense attorney instead of being deceptive by stating former prosecutor.

McGee in the Merritt case was also a former prosecutor for 20 years, and since being a defense attorney he now poo poos CE when at one time he would clearly say it carries much weight.

Why can't they ever go to an acting prosecutor in another jurisdiction who is not over the case for their opinion?

Imo, they don't because most of the media seems to be pro defense as we have seen in many high profile cases lately.

Sorry for venting, but I'm just so tired of the deception being spun by DTs about CE cases.

Jmho

Last edited:
JUL 28, 2019
How police might access your Lyft, Tinder and Google accounts in a criminal investigation
Buried in the terms of service agreements people accept when they sign up for most smartphone apps is a clause that says their personal information could be shared with law enforcement.

[...]

“Everyone has basically given up their right to privacy on the internet,” Giacalone said. “You trade your privacy for the convenience of using these apps.”

Recently in Utah, Salt Lake City police worked with the ride-hailing company Lyft to discover where 23-year-old University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck went on the night of her disappearance and to rule out the driver as a suspect. Police also analyzed Lueck’s social media and dating app accounts, according to news reports. Eventually, law enforcement located Lueck’s body and arrested a man who is suspected of killing her.

[...]

Thanks to a privacy law passed earlier this year, Utah is one of a minority of states, including Washington and California, that require police to obtain a warrant to access stored data, like messages and photos, or location information from tech companies and cell service providers. Elsewhere, officers are able to request and view private data without a warrant, as long as providers cooperate.

[...]

While states like Utah, as well as many tech companies, have rules that require police to file a subpoena or obtain a warrant in order to access personal data, there are no real limits on how much information police can request. Rather, police self-restrict their own data collection based on time constraints, said Gary Ernsdorff, a senior prosecutor in Washington state who has sought data from Lyft, Uber, Facebook and Google.

[...]

Facebook and Instagram require police to obtain a warrant in order to see the stored contents of an account, such as messages, photos, comments and location information. But police can get other information like your name, address and telephone number, credit card information and IP address (used to identify the computer used to sign into an account), with a subpoena, which, unlike a warrant, does not require a demonstration of probable cause of suspicion.

Other companies have rules that are more vague. Snapchat’s says, “We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to comply with any valid legal process, governmental request or applicable law, rule or regulation.”

[...]

When it comes to Google location data, law enforcement may request data from hundreds of accounts that appeared in a certain area during a certain time, but that data will be anonymized until investigators identify a handful of accounts that are of interest.

“We don’t want to be intruding on private matters that are not evidence of a crime. Because we understand the privacy concerns,” said Ernsdorff.

[...]

Ernsdorff said he has tried to reduce his own data footprint and realized it's nearly impossible to live in the modern world and avoid using the everyday technologies that gather personal data.

"Even very wary people are still leaving a trail," Ernsdorff said. He simply advises people to be aware of the information they are giving away.

[...]

This is a stupid take. They are search warrant affidavits. Of course they don't detail the commission of the crime itself. They cite whatever evidence the police have that supports a warrant to collect more evidence. The so-called circumstantial evidence probably was that they had texted to meet, then they met at the park, and then the witness testimony that this lawyer dismisses was his neighbors saying he had a smelly burn pit fire in his backyard only a few hours later. Evidence that two people were alone together and then one of them disposed of the murdered body and belongings of the other is pretty strong evidence.

This is a stupid take. They are search warrant affidavits. Of course they don't detail the commission of the crime itself. They cite whatever evidence the police have that supports a warrant to collect more evidence. The so-called circumstantial evidence probably was that they had texted to meet, then they met at the park, and then the witness testimony that this lawyer dismisses was his neighbors saying he had a smelly burn pit fire in his backyard only a few hours later. Evidence that two people were alone together and then one of them disposed of the murdered body and belongings of the other is pretty strong evidence.

Thank you for keeping it real.

Imo

Yes based off what we know which is a fair amount this case seems pretty clear cut. We also know LE has a ton more evidence that we don't know about. I don't see how a prosecutor could look at the information given and say they only have circumstantial evidence. Maybe there is no murder weapon with his DNA on it? I just keep wondering what was in the bags and bags of evidence LE took out and also what did they find at the bridge?

Poor guy. Someone must have used his phone to text her multiple times, and she texted in response thinking she was talking to Bob or Joe, all the way to her arrival at the park, then his phone ended up at the park where she dropped off. Then the awful coincidence of his phone traveling back to his house, where her belongings and parts of her skull and scalp were soon found. And then to have the additional bad luck of someone taking his phone to Logan Canyon where her charred and bound body was buried. I would post a sad face but there's no emoticon to express the deep sorrow I feel for him. :rolleyes:

What is up with even the sideline defense attorneys acting like unless someone filmed it all or he confesses, there's no case? Most cases are packed with circumstantial/connect the dots evidence that isn't nearly this indicting.

Thank you to the victim for sharing, it gives more insight into him.

I hope it can be passed on to her that at least I don't think her pursuing a charge would have stopped this man or made a difference and, as she said, this is his fault and no one else's. Sadly, based on the circumstances, I doubt he would have done much, if any time. It would have been a he said/she said quite possibly based on what has been shared. He would have lawyered up as he has done here and quite possibly she would have been in further danger from him.

I am very surprised to hear he had a female roommate. I would never have expected that.

Again, I appreciate her bravery in sharing her story.

Jmo.
May I say your post is so nice and has much truth. The case fron 2016 with Sierah Joughin her kidnapper/murderer was in prison previously for attempted abduction. Even is Survivor went further AA would have had like to no sentence and would have been out. We need tougher laws to make if so horrible that someone will think before committing a crime against someone. Prayers to ML family and friends.

I don't know if it aggravates anyone else or not, but I'm so tired of attorneys being dismissive of circumstantial evidence when the USSC has said definitively it carries as much powerful weight, and even more so in many cases than direct evidence testimony.

That is why CE cases are the least likely cases to ever be overturned on appeal.

Most cases ARE CE cases. We just had two big trials which were based on CE evidence. Daron Wint was convicted, and sentenced to LWOP. Charles Merritt was convicted, and the jury recommended he be sentenced to death.

Imo, defense attorneys are really scared to death of CE cases for they know juries convicted most defendants far more often on CE than strictly direct evidence cases. It's a ploy used by DTs meant to deceive. Imo

Imo, They actually prefer direct evidence cases because they can argue the eye witnesses can be wrong.

I just wish they would all be honest for a change.

It's like all defense attorneys have this same statement tattooed on their forehead so they make sure to always say it. They constantly regurgitated the same old tired line ad nauseam.

Yet time, and time again juries do NOT believe their dismissive spiel about the weight CE carries.

It also is aggravating the media seems to always says a former prosecutor when what they should have just said they asked a defense attorney instead of being deceptive by stating former prosecutor.

McGee in the Merritt case was also a former prosecutor for 20 years, and since being a defense attorney he now poo poos CE when at one time he would clearly say it carries much weight.

Why can't they ever go to an acting prosecutor in another jurisdiction who is not over the case for their opinion?

Imo, they don't because most of the media seems to be pro defense as we have seen in many high profile cases lately.

Sorry for venting, but I'm just so tired of the deception being spun by DTs about CE cases.

Jmho

You vent away, ocean. I certainly agree with you. I mean, you even have cases today based on CE where a body isn't even necessarily recovered and that doesn't mean automatic innocence like it used to, nowhere close to that.

Sorry if.this has already be addressed and I missed it. Has anyone put together a listing of missing females in the area? Sexual assaults, etc..
How many more victims or survivors does could be in the area
Sounds like AA has been living in the area for awhile.

Does this person have some kind of cognitive impairment? Smh.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities investigating the death of Utah college student Mackenzie Lueck have searched dating sites for both her and the man charged in her death.

Court documents outlining evidence gathered against 31-year-old tech worker Ayoola Ajayi include a search of the site Seeking Arrangement, which bills itself as a way for wealthy "sugar daddies" to meet women known as "sugar babies."

The document shows authorities also searched Tinder, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook. It doesn't detail what evidence was found.

Police and prosecutors have not said how the two met or disclosed a motive for the killing. They would not comment Tuesday.

New details: Police search dating sites in case of slain student Mackenzie Lueck

Last edited:
Another report and the first I've seen talking about Ajayi Pole Cam Videos and "Mackenzie SD Camera Cards" with subsections including bed cams, living room cams, etc.

Not a lot of new detail and the new details are very general. So are these files of work she was doing with him or are actual pics from or around the time of the crime? Yikes.

Investigating Utah student's killing: Videos, pictures, social media all part of evidence collected

I was just coming to post this same link. I was trying to ascertain whether these cards were all from AA, which it appears to be the case.

This would possibly suggest a working relationship of sorts. I know others have speculated about AA running a cam business. I wasn't sold one way or another, but this piece of information could indicate that is the case. We still don't know if Kenzie was involved, but it sure is interesting that he had a file labeled, "Mackenzie SD Camera Cards" with the subsections of bed cams and living room cams, etc. I wonder if Kenzie had been to his house before. If she had this might explain the meeting at the park at 3AM and why it didn't phase her.

I have always maintained she must have had some sort of relationship before that meeting that night even if a nonsexual one.

Agree. Only murder as opposed to manslaughter needs to be proved. What he did with the body then automatically elevates the crime to aggravated.

Last edited:
Darn it, Gardenista! I was super excited to read what was in those 28 warrants. That headline is misleading.
t2609.gif

• Information in social media profiles for both Lueck and Ajayi,
  • More than 2,000 photos on Lueck’s cameras, phone records, Ajayi’s electronics and other items found in his home,
  • The contents of a garbage bag he discarded, his car and a receipt for a gas container and fuel at Smith’s.
  • The evidence list also includes a piece of scalp tissue — presumably part of the charred remains that detectives found in Ajayi’s backyard and that later matched Lueck’s DNA — and Lueck’s body, which was discovered in Logan Canyon several days later.
  • Several surveillance videos and interviews that prosecutors intend to use. Those are primarily with neighbors, employers and previous acquaintances of Ajayi, as well as a contractor and a landscaper who worked on his property.

Thanks for the new updates. Has anyone come across whether AA had any type of bruises or burns on his body? IMO seems like he would have something visible. The only thing I am thankful for is that her family lives in another state so at least perhaps the distance from this evil monster helps them a little each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem