UT - Parenting influencer, Ruby Franke, and blogger/podcast partner Jodi Hildebrandt, arrested for Child Abuse, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
10 a.m.
Judge Walton has entered. Ruby Franke is here with her attorney LaMar Winward. Pre-sentencing investigation has been reviewed by both parties.

10:05 a.m.

Restitution is being discussed.

State prosecutor Eric Clarke is reading the sentencing recommendation now: “She committed horrible acts of child abuse.”

Clarke called it a “concentration camp-like setting.”

During the sentencing, Franke's attorney LaMar Winward leaned over to speak with Ruby. Unknown discussion but Ruby nodded in agreement.

Adam Steed is in the first row behind Ruby.

10:08 a.m.
Ruby Franke is making her statement, saying she was in a world of delusion due lies and isolation.

She says Jodi Hildebrandt was "never my business partner," and says she paid her to be her mentor.

"I take full accountability for my choices," she added.

10:15 a.m.
Ruby now emotional. Thanking everyone by name.

“My charges are just. They offer safety to my family, accountability to the public.”

Ruby thanking husband Kevin’s attorney by name. Kevin in the front row shaking his head.

Kevin is seated next to Chad and Shari (Ruby’s oldest children). Beau is seated next to Shari.

Ruby said she drug her family through the mud.

“You are the love of my life.” Ruby to Kevin. “The ending of our marriage is a tragedy.”

20 minute recess then Jodi's portion of the hearing will begin.
LIVE UPDATES: Ruby Franke, Jodi Hildebrandt sentencing

10:18 a.m.
Ruby speaks directly to the judge at the end of her statement, after which Judge Walton will sentenced her to four consecutive terms of one - 15 year for each of the second-degree felony aggravated child abuse she pled guilty to.

Restitution is on hold, per the state's request, with an eight-month deadline imposed by the court.

10:19 a.m.

Directly following Franke's sentence, Judge Walton asked for Hildebrandt to be shown in to the courtroom. However, Hildebrandt's attorney told the judge they were anticipating her appearance to be at 10:30.

A recess has been called until then.

10:30 a.m.
The sentencing hearing has resumed.

10:35 a.m.
Judge John Walton and Jodi Hildebrandt in the courtroom, listening to the state's recommendations for sentencing.

Judge recommended sentencing for Ruby: 4 consecutive, 1-15 years each count. (Max is 30).

Prison time is up to Utah Board of Pardons and Parole.

Eric Clarke reading a similar statement on Jodi as he did for Ruby describing the child abuse.

“They were beaten and 12 year old was regularly bound after he tried to run away in July.”

Clarke calls Hildebrandt a “significant threat” to the community.

They’re also mentioning four consecutive terms for the 2nd degree child abuse charges.

10:45 a.m.
After a brief statement by Jodi Hildebrandt, Judge Walton hands down a sentence of four consecutive terms of 1 - 15 years for each of the counts of aggravated child abuse she pled guilty to.
LIVE UPDATES: Ruby Franke, Jodi Hildebrandt sentencing

@cathyrusson

Sentencing for #RubyFranke and #JodiHildebrandt I’m inside the courthouse ahead of sentencing. There are a handful of spectators lined up/milling about.

We are inside the courtroom now.

No live streaming allowed but as soon as the hearing is over we will be "live" with on @LawCrimeNetwork and YouTube.

The bailiff just moved some media into the jury box. I’m in seat #1 and will have a direct view of the defendants.

Kevin is crying in the gallery.

Ruby: My choice to live in fear of the world has created a blind spot for me. Watching my community respond to my charges with justice, mercy, grace and love.....this world is full of really great people. I'm sorry for twisting God's words and distorting his doctrine.

Ruby: I'm willing to serve a prison sentence as long as it takes to unravel what I believed.

BREAKING: Judge sentenced #RubyFranke to the terms of her plea. Four counts of 1 to 15 years to run consecutively.

Now #JodiHildebrandt. Ruby exits the courtroom.

Jodi is not in the courtroom yet. Her attorney said he anticipated 10:30 start time that's in 10 mins. Recess until 10:30 MT/12:30 ET

Jodi's hearing is going to be "brief" according to what her attorney just mouthed to the prosecutor in the courtroom.

Jodi has entered.

Jodi is looking ragged....

Prosecutor: Same statement that he gave for #RubyFranke. He tells the judge is duplicate.

"Miss Hildebrandt committed awful acts of child abuse..."

Kevin Franke is glaring at #JodiHildebrandt

Prosecutor: In addition to physical abuse, the children were subject to emotional abuse.

Prosecutor: Miss Hildebrandt has shown no remorse. She continues to blame the children (in jailhouse calls). She has said on these calls that the media will tell lies today.

Note: the prosecutor said #RubyFranke had almost immediately shown remorse. He said #JodiHildebrandt has not.

Defense for #JodiHildebrandt: There are two sides to every case....there are many allegations regarding these two individuals...#RubyFranke and HIldebrandt. The only facts in this case are those set forth in the plea agreement.

Defense: My experience with Miss Hildebrandt is she is not the person she has been portrayed to be.

Defense: She accepts responsibility and the consequences of her conduct.

Jodi speaks: I sincerely loved these children. One of the reasons I didn't go to trial is I didn't want them to relive this.

Judge mentions that Jodi would not give a statement during the presentencing investigation.

BREAKING: This circumstance is largely of your making. Your conduct was disastrous for these children. In this case, you terrorized children. Judge sentences Hildebrandt to four consecutive sentences the same as #RubyFranke

Court is adjourned.

Personally I was not impressed by the narcissistic speech by RF … I believe she was playing to the future parole board trying to act overly remorseful. I don’t trust her. I felt the brief speech by JH suited her personality - I figured she would remain steadfast in her attempt to not accept blame. In my opinion both of these women should get the maximum sentence allowed in Utah.

And just noting, but if understood correctly, the sentences for each defendant and each of the counts are to be served consecutively? Not currently, correct? MOO
Yes, consecutively for both RF and JH.

She sounds like she's reciting a speech for a beauty pageant. WTH?????
I kept thinking that it was like the awkward Academy Awards acceptance speech that goes for waaaaaaaay too long and then YOU'RE feeling awkward listening to it and you wish they'd "Just wrap it up already!!!!!"

Personally I was not impressed by the narcissistic speech by RF … I believe she was playing to the future parole board trying to act overly remorseful. I don’t trust her. I felt the brief speech by JH suited her personality - I figured she would remain steadfast in her attempt to not accept blame. In my opinion both of these women should get the maximum sentence allowed in Utah.
To with withhold food & take away beds she is right there with boy in the box dad Ferriter , mother Van Ark & yes, mother Lori Daybell IMO.

JM sad,sad,sad O

@cathyrusson

Four counts of aggravated child abuse. To serve 1 to 15 years on each count, but the law is a maximum of 30 years. Board of pardons and parole will determine the length at a later date.

12:31 PM · Feb 20, 2024
I don’t understand that. So they could be out in a minimum of 4 years. That isn’t Justice.

I don’t understand that. So they could be out in a minimum of 4 years. That isn’t Justice.

Hi @gitana1,

I do not understand the sentence can you make heads or tails of it? Anybody?

The judge sentenced them to serve four terms of one to 15 years each.

The sentences will run consecutively and are the maximum for each count under Utah law. How much time each will ultimately serve will be determined by the state's parole board.

Consecutively means Ruby has to serve one sentence after another so how does that work? How could it be only 4 years?

She serves her first sentence and , say, she is paroled after 7 years. Then she would have to stay in prison for the second sentence and could get parole, say, in 5 years....Then the 3rd sentence then the 4th.

This can't be right. I'm used to concurrent sentences which if applicable here would mean if she got parole, say, in 9 years, she would be 100% done because the 9 years counts for 4 sentences.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member