UT - Parenting influencer, Ruby Franke, and blogger/podcast partner Jodi Hildebrandt, arrested for Child Abuse, Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope an investigation is done into Kevin as well. The fact he wants full custody is also alarming as everybody who watched them for years knows he was complicit as well. I am not saying he went as far as Ruby but he certainly never stopped her and stood up for them.

Mooo
He agreed with her. He scolded viewers who criticized their parenting. And he owned that parenting.

He’s apparently not been involved in starving or duct taping them, but he was fine with depriving them of meals and stuff, being emotionally abusive and harshly punishing his kids for minor infractions. I don’t think he should have custody.

Another thing I saw her do on video was to take her youngest child’s comfort item stuffed animal and told her (kid looked about 5), that if the kid ever cut something in “her” house again (meaning the mom’s house), she would cut the head off the stuffed animal. She forced the child to look at her while she said this. The kid covered her eyes in fear and anguish and cried.

Kids do stupid things. I had an obsession with bandaids, tape, writing on the wall and cutting things with the scissors. I got in trouble for it. Missed out on a Bluebirds (like girl scouts) event because I wrote on the walls for the umpteenth time. But no one ever threatened to destroy a beloved comfort item of mine because my brain was too underdeveloped to understand consequences (both to me for doing something stupid and to my parents for wrecking their walls), or to be able to control my impulsivity. I was six.
I had some destructive behaviors as a kid, too!

My mom let me take them out on my favorite toys, then told me that was my lesson when I went crying to her that my stuffed bear "Ricky" was cut up!

She then had me sit there and watch as she repaired Ricky and made sure I knew this was the result of me thrashing my favorite toy around.

What she didn't do was starve me, steal my bed, and send me to a camp for unloved children.

He agreed with her. He scolded viewers who criticized their parenting. And he owned that parenting.

He’s apparently not been involved in starving or duct taping them, but he was fine with depriving them of meals and stuff, being emotionally abusive and harshly punishing his kids for minor infractions. I don’t think he should have custody.
I'm just now catching up, and I was slightly willing to believe the husband was also a victim (key word slightly) but if this is true then he's just as bad for proactively enabling it. So I totally agree with you.

I am following this case because I am passionate about laws being introduced to protect children from being a part of family vlogging channels. I was not a viewer of this particular channel, and really only heard about them after the arrest, but I am very familiar with a couple of others. I did, however, hear of the "beanbag scandal" back when it happened and was not surprised to learn it's the same family. I'm so disappointed to hear they kept uploading videos after that incident.

All of the children are victims in this case. I hope they are able to heal mentally, emotionally and physically.

This might have been posted already, but worth repeating if so. Both women have been charged with six counts of felony child abuse.

"Ruby Franke...has been charged with six counts of felony child abuse by the Washington County Attorney in Utah."

"Hildebrandt was also charged with six counts of felony child abuse."

"'[E]ach defendant is accused of causing or permitting serious physical injury to the victims in three different ways: (1) a combination of multiple physical injuries or torture, (2) starvation or malnutrition that jeopardizes life, and (3) causing severe emotional harm,' the county attorney said."

Does JH have children or a significant other? Is RF her significant other?
I'm not understanding the living arrangements.

RF allegedly kicked her husband KF out of the family home, a year ago.
Oldest 2 kids are on their own.
Youngest 2 kids went with mom to JH's house.
Middle 2 kids... left alone in the family home? Also moved with mom?

And someone help me out with this, if this family was reported numerous times by numerous people for the way they treat these kids, shouldn't someone be asking the question to Child Protective services (or whatever they're called in Utah) why nothing was ever done, and the kids were not protected as they should have been?

Does JH have children or a significant other? Is RF her significant other?
She is accused of alienating another wife from her husband previously so . . . I am not sure of the relationship but it doesn't appear to be a healthy one whatever it's nature. Adult daughter who is estranged indicates her parents got involved with ConnXtions and Jodi's methods and everything went down hill from their in their household. MOO IMO

She is accused of alienating another wife from her husband previously so . . . I am not sure of the relationship but it doesn't appear to be a healthy one whatever it's nature. Adult daughter who is estranged indicates her parents got involved with ConnXtions and Jodi's methods and everything went down hill from their in their household. MOO IMO
It seems that maintaining relationships with adult children is not a concern to either of the defendants. "Not my job as a mom to be liked by my adult children" is likely what they would say, I would guess. They might even wear estrangement as a badge of honor. imo

jmo

Randy Kester, the attorney for Kevin Franke, denied the children’s father had any role, saying he was not living in the house where the alleged abuse.

“Mom had the kids for the summer and went out of the county with the kids, and if he had known of or thought there was abuse going on, he would have been all over it,” Kester said Tuesday on “CUOMO.” “(The alleged abuse) happened in a house that was a couple hundred miles away from where Mr. Franke was.”

Wonder if this 'mom' also denied the kids phone/email access to their dad ?
So that they couldn't tell him what was happening ?

Also: I am always a bit cautious about families on social media or you tube who portray themselves to be 'shiny, happy, perfect people'.
It doesn't exist.
Omo.

A press release from the attorney’s office claimed that “each defendant is accused of causing or permitting serious physical injury to the victims in three different ways: (1) a combination of multiple physical injuries or torture, (2) starvation or malnutrition that jeopardizes life, and (3) causing severe emotional harm.”
[snip]
After Franke began receiving criticism from followers about her strict parenting, which some commenters suggested was abusive, she stopped uploading videos on the channel and began the Connexions parenting advice podcast with Hildebrandt.

YouTube has since taken down Franke’s two channels and has been permanently banned from the platform, a spokesperson told PEOPLE on Wednesday.

Washington County Sheriff's Office jail records show Franke and Hildebrandt are still in custody.
Mom Influencer Ruby Franke and Business Partner Jodi Hildebrandt Formally Charged with 6 Counts of Child Abuse

A local lawyer representing Franke did not immediately respond to NPR's request for comment. Court documents do not list legal representation for Hildebrandt.

Both Hildebrandt and Franke were still in custody as of Wednesday, records for the Washington County Sheriff's office show. The pair are scheduled to appear in court before the same judge on Friday.
https://www.npr.org/2023/09/06/1197833521/ruby-franke-charges-youtube-child-abuse

Well it sounds like she's a proponent of alienating people in general.
Her website is very telling...

Jodi Hildebrandt Information and Reviews - Jodi Hildebrandt
The core teachings of Connexions is that for a person to achieve true “connection” with another human being, they must not be in “distortion”. Distortion is a broad term defined by Jodi. By taking her course people learn they are “in” distortion by the following:
  • being addicted (spouse, work, shopping, electronic games, sleep, social media, driving, receiving compliments, exercise, eating, drugs or alcohol, sex, *advertiser censored*, hobbies, entertainment. The things you can become addicted to are endless. )
  • living in shame and denial
  • knowing you are “not enough”
  • being co-dependent in your relationships
  • living in lust (being sexually attracted to your spouse)
  • controlling and manipulating others
Jodi asserts everyone is in distortion and all experience the above but she can help you to overcome distortion and live in Truth.

Jodi teaches that three core principles must be developed in order to truly connect with anyone and avoid distortion. If you or others do not practice these principles they are considered “in distortion”. Boundaries need to be set to distance yourself from these individuals so you are not drawn into distortion with them.
<bbm>

So, her approach is to encourage isolation from most others. I wonder if that is why Ruby doesn't want her children to be around other people and why she and her husband are separated.

It's a very controlling approach....my way or the highway. Almost all of you are 'in distortion' (i.e. wrong and living a terrible life) and I am right (living in 'truth'). A very cult-like approach. No disagreement is allowed.

Well both Jodi and Ruby are living in a very controlled environment now!

ETA: added link

Last edited:

<bbm>

So, her approach is to encourage isolation from most others. I wonder if that is why Ruby doesn't want her children to be around other people and why she and her husband are separated.

It's a very controlling approach....my way or the highway. Almost all of you are 'in distortion' (i.e. wrong and living a terrible life) and I am right (living in 'truth'). A very cult-like approach. No disagreement is allowed.

Well both Jodi and Ruby are living in a very controlled environment now!
The "distortion" and "truth" remind me of "dark" and "light" of Lori Vallow/Chad Daybell cult ideas.

jmo

reminds me of scientology and it's "auditing" practice for those deemed preclear so that they might reach enlightenment and increase their spiritual powers. uggh.
Good thought - and with the rejection of people not deemed "in truth" or whatever. Just cut them out as dangerous.

Must be difficult to be so rigid in your thinking and connections with people. Everyone eventually must be a disappointment when judgement is so harsh. I'm feeling grateful for grace and forgiveness, tbh.

jmo

Randy Kester, the attorney for Kevin Franke, denied the children’s father had any role, saying he was not living in the house where the alleged abuse.

“Mom had the kids for the summer and went out of the county with the kids, and if he had known of or thought there was abuse going on, he would have been all over it,” Kester said Tuesday on “CUOMO.” “(The alleged abuse) happened in a house that was a couple hundred miles away from where Mr. Franke was.”

Evidently mr franke didn’t watch the channel like others that watched and made complaints.

Jodi Hildebrandt Information and Reviews - Jodi Hildebrandt

<bbm>

Well both Jodi and Ruby are living in a very controlled environment now !

ETA: added link
Lavender bolding mine.
Indeed !

I admit I snickered a bit at the part I'd bolded. ;)
Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members