Found Deceased UT - Paul Swenson, 30, American Fork, 27 July 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No he didn't. The American Fork Police have confirmed via their facebook that no contact has been made by Paul since he left.
That last sighting was allegedly of him in downtown Salt Lake (by someone the police are confident in), when he was talking nonsense.
Nothing since then.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/...issing-utah-man-paul-swenson-as-tips-pour-in/

"Christensen said police believe their best bet in cracking the case is to track down who owns the items in the SUV. Police have worked to recover fingerprints and DNA from the vehicle, he said, and are awaiting results. " snipped

So they did get DNA and finger prints from the car! Also, story states they still have 2 full time detectives working on this and just added one from unified pd. Very interesting.

I hope they get a lead from the fingerprints and/or DNA. People keep asking, "how do they know the items found in the car didn't belong to Paul?" and this is a pretty obvious answer I haven't seen anyone bring up-- there were likely fingerprints and DNA not belonging to Paul on the items and in the vehicle. It could be that simple.

I hope they get a lead from the fingerprints and/or DNA. People keep asking, "how do they know the items found in the car didn't belong to Paul?" and this is a pretty obvious answer I haven't seen anyone bring up-- there were likely fingerprints and DNA not belonging to Paul on the items and in the vehicle. It could be that simple.

YES!! [emoji362] All of this!!! I know it's easy for us (generalization) to get caught up in certain statements & sometimes we look farther into them than necessary which can often times cause wandering minds to make something so simple into something more complex. I admit I'm guilty of doing this myself sometimes!!

If LE has tested the DNA/prints on the items in the vehicle, the results (if available) are not going to be released mid-investigation. LE & investigators know what they're doing & how to do it. As curious as we all are, it's not our 'right' to know the details. Especially details that could very easily blow the investigation.

Now, playing devils advocate for a moment... IF this were to be the case, would it be any bit harmful to the investigation to release a statement saying something along the lines of, "we have determined the items in question do not belong to PS, based on DNA results/print analysis"?
I'm saying this in the most sincere way possible as I, personally, can't see a statement such as that harming any evidence they may have. Then again, I'll be the first to admit I am not an LEO, investigator, PI, etc! So my opinion may very well differ from theirs!

YES!! [emoji362] All of this!!! I know it's easy for us (generalization) to get caught up in certain statements & sometimes we look farther into them than necessary which can often times cause wandering minds to make something so simple into something more complex. I admit I'm guilty of doing this myself sometimes!!

If LE has tested the DNA/prints on the items in the vehicle, the results (if available) are not going to be released mid-investigation. LE & investigators know what they're doing & how to do it. As curious as we all are, it's not our 'right' to know the details. Especially details that could very easily blow the investigation.

Now, playing devils advocate for a moment... IF this were to be the case, would it be any bit harmful to the investigation to release a statement saying something along the lines of, "we have determined the items in question do not belong to PS, based on DNA results/print analysis"?
I'm saying this in the most sincere way possible as I, personally, can't see a statement such as that harming any evidence they may have. Then again, I'll be the first to admit I am not an LEO, investigator, PI, etc! So my opinion may very well differ from theirs!

LE has already made a statement that the items did not belong to Paul. The family made multiple statements the items didn't belong to Paul and didn't belong to his wife. What benefit would it be to LE and to the investigation to tell the public HOW they know the items didn't belong to Paul? None, IMO. Why don't people believe those statements when LE and people who have actually SEEN the items in the car say they were not Paul's? Instead, even though we don't know what exactly was in the car, I've seen a dozen theories on why the police and his family might be wrong or might be lying to cover something up. I don't get it. JMO.

LE has already made a statement that the items did not belong to Paul. The family made multiple statements the items didn't belong to Paul and didn't belong to his wife. What benefit would it be to LE and to the investigation to tell the public HOW they know the items didn't belong to Paul? None, IMO. Why don't people believe those statements when LE and people who have actually SEEN the items in the car say they were not Paul's? Instead, even though we don't know what exactly was in the car, I've seen a dozen theories on why the police and his family might be wrong or might be lying to cover something up. I don't get it. JMO.

I must have missed the statement from LE saying the items didn't belong to Paul. All I saw was where LE said, their best lead is focusing on who the items belonged to. My apologies!! :)

I must have missed the statement from LE saying the items didn't belong to Paul. All I saw was where LE said, their best lead is focusing on who the items belonged to. My apologies!! :)

I'll try to find better quotes, but here is one source:
Police said the vehicle was found “under suspicious circumstances,” because some of the items found inside do not belong to Paul, including several strange articles of clothing, two backpacks and a bottle of alcohol.
http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...wing-missing-utah-father-paul-swenson-n788196

TY for that quote!! There's been so much mis-information, made up scenarios/speculation & what if's that it's been hard to keep up with what's actually fact!!

I think part of the problem is that the press has focused on his family. The police have actually said quite a few things but I don't think there has been a press conference on this case and I'm having trouble finding exact quotes from officers. It's all "Police said" like the above source. If you go back and read all the news links in this thread, however, from the beginning it has been the police saying the way his car was found is suspicious. Family might have been the first to bring up the items found to the press and talk about what they were so the quotes about what were in the car are mostly attributed to the family.

Here's another article that focuses more on police statements:

Swenson's car — a black, four-door, 2016 BMW X6 — was found early Friday near Parkview Elementary School in Glendale. Police said the vehicle was found "under suspicious circumstances" with things inside that potentially belonged to someone else.

"It just brings up the question: Was somebody with him when they left the vehicle or did someone steal the vehicle?" Christensen said.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...an-was-acting-oddly-before-disappearance.html

Christensen is a Sgt. with the American Fork Police.

Here's another article that focuses more on police statements:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...an-was-acting-oddly-before-disappearance.html

Christensen is a Sgt. with the American Fork Police.

You're awesome!! Thank you for finding/(re)posting!!

To your last comment (immediately above), I agree with you. The wording in most MSM articles is a bit confusing & in said articles, it's hard to tell if the information reported was provided as fact or simply an 'opinion' from someone (friend/family) close to PS.

I do recall watching the video released early on, when Cody Wilding was interviewed. (link below) Cody had stated, "...just different things we found...a thing of alcohol that didn't belong to Paul. It wasn't, you know, he didn't have that. & so yeah, it was just random people's clothing & materials in there...."
(starts around the 1:30 mark)

http://fox13now.com/2017/07/28/amer...red-car-found-under-suspicious-circumstances/

This interview, for some reason, has stuck in my mind since I first watched it. I think because it was CW making the statement regarding the items not belonging to Paul, it casts some doubt as to why/how he knew for certain, that the items didn't belong to him. Especially when he says, "...a thing of alcohol that didn't belong to Paul...he didn't have that...". He very well may not have had it as far as CW was aware, but may have acquired it later on.
***I'm not disputing the statement made by LE that the items don't belong to Paul--LE certainly has reason to believe that to be the case if they're making that statement. Just trying to look at the situation from all POVs & understand why some may not be believing the claim that the items didn't belong to PS. :)

To your last comment (immediately above), I agree with you. The wording in most MSM articles is a bit confusing & in said articles, it's hard to tell if the information reported was provided as fact or simply an 'opinion' from someone (friend/family) close to PS.

I do recall watching the video released early on, when Cody Wilding was interviewed. (link below) Cody had stated, "...just different things we found...a thing of alcohol that didn't belong to Paul. It wasn't, you know, he didn't have that. & so yeah, it was just random people's clothing & materials in there...."

http://fox13now.com/2017/07/28/amer...red-car-found-under-suspicious-circumstances/

This interview, for some reason, has stuck in my mind since I first watched it. I think because it was CW making the statement regarding the items not belonging to Paul, it casts some doubt as to why/how he knew for certain, that the items didn't belong to him. Especially when he says, "...a thing of alcohol that didn't belong to Paul...he didn't have that...". He very well may not have had it as far as CW was aware, but may have acquired it later on.
***I'm not disputing the statement made by LE that the items don't belong to Paul--LE certainly has reason to believe that to be the case if they're making that statement. Just trying to look at the situation from all POVs & understand why some may not be believing the claim that the items didn't belong to PS. :)

I agree that the whole alcohol thing is pretty confusing. Family and friends said there was alcohol not belonging to Paul but police later clarified and said there was NO Alcohol:
Police called the circumstances “suspicious” because Swenson had no connection to the area, and some items found in the car — including a backpack of clothing and a cellphone —did not appear to belong to Swenson. Police did not find alcohol in the car, Christensen said, as has been reported by other news outlets. Swenson‘s phone had been turned off, police said.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/...rican-fork-man-despite-few-tips-checking-out/

So it makes it hard to know what to believe!

The report of the items in their entirety is confusing. Whether or not the family first reported the container of alcohol or not, how do you mistake that when it's not even alcohol? Unless, you've lived under a rock all your life and haven't a clue to what alcohol looks or smells like. I guess if you're a devout Mormon I suppose. Maybe it was a Monster or Rock Star.....I know it was reported as a bottle, but we're talking about a report of alcohol when it wasn't at all.

Obviously LE didn't know that the items weren't his until family arrived and identified them as such. Paul's behavior was described as being off and not just that day, but weeks before as well IIRC. He may have been planning this disappearance for some time. He could have been on fringe of developing Paranoid Schizophrenia. That coupled with hiding things like planning to disappear and that he said strange things before he left support the notion he did this willfully, but not in his right mind. Also the TWO BACKBACKS of clothing were probably items he recently purchased for going on the lam.

Whatever happened that day, his psychosis may have got the better of Paul.

There are reports of him not sleeping. Sleep deprivation takes a huge toll on mental health

It also could have been a bottle of alcohol filled with water.
When we cleaned out my uncles house after he died there was a lot of those. :dunno:

Hoping this is not related.
http://fox13now.com/2017/08/13/police-recover-body-in-creek-in-south-salt-lake/amp/

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Oh no! This is right by the last confirmed sighting of him on 2900 Main St.: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/135...abefa92dd!2m2!1d-111.8920297!2d40.7080731!3e0

Source for the sighting:
The last lead that could be confirmed was a sighting of Swenson on Friday at 2900 S. Main St. in Salt Lake City, said Sgt. Josh Christensen with the American Fork Police Department.
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...cle_9b72289e-57b0-5166-9ecc-a8fa2a3729c5.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in2itive
Back