UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't get to sleep right away last night so I tumbled this case around in my head.

Some random thoughts:

Josh is crying because he does not have control of the situation. My DH can be very controlling (but is doing so much better with counseling) and is as manly as they come, and the only time I've seen him break down is when he felt he didn't have control of his life or some important situation. All Josh has to do is think, "I can't control these people!" and bam! Instant sorrow "for Susan."

Regarding this being pre-meditated, I personally don't feel that it was, but I do see that as a possibility. I think if it was pre-mediated than something went way wrong or Josh would have had a much better alibi or at least rehearsed his story.

I just don't see anyone planning to use a midnight tiny tot camping trip in freezing weather and "forgetting" what day it was as an alibi. He also should have returned a whole lot sooner to take care of the fans, call into Susan's work to pretend concern over if she was there and call in to his own employer to let them know he wouldn't be coming in cause his wife was missing. The fans would have been put away long before LE ever came by. He surely would have known that if his wife didn't show up to work, he didn't show up to work and the kids didn't show up to daycare, some calls are going to be made. Imo, this was either a crime of passion or the worst thought out pre-meditated murder in history.

Pretty telling that when asked if she thought Josh had anything to do with it, his sister said, "I sure hope not," instead of something like, "Absolutely NOT!" I'm surprised she'd even admit that. She looks just like him, but seems a lot more upset about Susan than he is.

MEDIA RELEASE 12/16/09 0630 PST from Shelby Gifford, family friend and spokesperson for the Cox Family in Puyallup WA:

We wish to extend our appreciation to the hundreds of journalists who have contacted us and who have provided such extensive coverage of Susan's disappearance. We have no doubt that your efforts are one of the best tools for finding her.

For today, December 16, 2009, the entire Cox family, Shelby and Michael Gifford, Kiirsi Hellewell and other friends of Susan's will not be scheduling media interviews.

If we have already scheduled an interview with you for today, we will keep that commitment. We will not, however, be adding any interviews to our schedule unless a major break comes in the case, in which case, Shelby Gifford will be available for interviews as appropriate.

The Cox family and friends of Susan Powell all express our appreciation for the kind way we've been treated by almost every journalist we've encountered. We know you have a job to do, and we are trying to accommodate you, as well as continue to have Susan's photo and information spread throughout the world.

Mr. Cox and Mr. Gifford will be traveling to Seattle from Salt Lake City this afternoon. Interview requests for tomorrow, Thursday, December 17, should be scheduled to take place in Puyallup, WA, approximately 40 miles south of Seattle.

We will be in contact with the West Valley City Police Department today and will continue to receive updates from them as needed. We appreciate the long, difficult hours the entire department is working to find Susan.

Thank you for honoring our request that you do not contact extended family members of Susan Powell. We look forward to this day as a day of reconnection and appreciate your understanding our request for privacy.

Inquiries for interviews scheduled for tomorrow can be directed to Shelby Gifford, family friend and spokesperson for the Cox Family.

BBM...
This IMO is the most telling part.
Mr. Cox as well as Kiirsi have been the ones that have done
the interviews and they are probably the closest to Susan.
And as of today they will not be doing any more interviews...

I also wanted to add that in the link of the Today Show that Patty
posted it had Josh's sister and she made the comment when asked
if she thought Josh had anything to do with this "I hope not".

Fingers crossed that today is the day!

Another side note:

I've got to give Susan's family and friends credit! None of them seem to be down-talking Josh, other than one Rachel who mentioned a "falling out" she had personally had with Josh as well as the fact that Susan and Josh had previously had some problems. And still, she never points her finger at Josh and screams, "MURDERER!"
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14000824

I think Susan's family is taking the high road for now, and I certainly respect that. I haven't seen any videos of her father until the one just posted in this thread and it's absolutely heart-wrenching. I'm sure he suspects so much more than he lets on, but for right now I think it's smart that they are just watching and waiting. Once you outright accuse a family member of murder, it's not really something you can take back. Not easily anyway.

I think this is another case where the perp didn't see it getting this much attention, like scott peterson. that is why he seems to have made up the story as he went along to the media. in his mind i think he thought it was gonna play out differently and it went wrong when the police had to break into his house.

I agree, I dont think he planned this at all. Crime of passion IMO.

Let me speak on something else in our society. We have come a long way in this country regarding womens rights and equality, which is awesome. But there is this wife hating tone in this nation that I've seen creep up a lot lately. In TV shows, movies, radio, music etc. I know a lot of it is tongue in cheek and veiled jokes, but this behavior is rubbing off on our sons and effecting our daughters.

I see on TV how married life is portrayed as a life killer. Men complaining about their wives and how being married is so horrible and how they envy the single guys. It's as if being married is the worst thing in the world and the wives are the bane of their husbands existance. They try to get away from the wife, don't want to hang out with the wife, fight with the wife. I know any marriage isnt perfect, but I know that my husband is my best friend and his male friends tease him about it.

They say he is whooped or under my thumb. They can't understand why or how my husband actually likes being around me! I'm not some nagging wife that my husband cant wait to leave. I just don't get it. What do people think marriage is? Some freakin fairy tale???

They have a baby and get mad and jealous. They want the wife to handle most of the child care, but then get mad that the baby gets most of the attention!!

I think this thinking has cause a lot of controlling freaks to want to cheat, divorce or even kill their wives. They want out. They want a servant and not a wife, not a partner.

I hope LE questions Josh's friends from younger years. He is from that part of the country. Where did they play? Any forts, caves, secret hideouts?

I hope LE questions Josh's friends from younger years. He is from that part of the country. Where did they play? Any forts, caves, secret hideouts?

very good catch! Like KC putting Caylee next to her dead hamsters!!!!
KC had a private graveyard...........NEAR HOME!!!

wonder if there are WOODS near JP childhood home?????

Has any of Josh's friends come forward?
All the friends seem to be Susan's..........
Does Josh have buddies????
Any one help with his desk?
Friends from work? church?

So far (at least when I read the comment boards on local sites) it seems to be the ONLY people that even claim to know him are at the IT job... I have yet to come across someone that claimed to be a 'friend'. So, either he does not have any or they do not want feel comfortable sticking up for him or claiming he is of good character. Go figure.

Let me give you a little Mormon perspective on this.

Mormons don't really believe in hell, per se - at least not in a way that most Christian religions believe in it. Mormons, instead, believe in varying degrees of heaven. That's a relatively-complicated proposition, that probably none of you want to spend a lot of time on.

There is something called Outer Darkness in which Mormons believe. It is reserved for a select few individuals. People like Judas would be there, probably. By definition, it is considered a place for those who have committed unpardonable or unforgivable sin - usually sins against the Holy Ghost. Some Mormons speculate that certain murder is an unforgivable sin, since there can be no restitution in murder (how do you give a person their mortal life back?).

Certainly, Outer Darkness or no, killing ones spouse is not going to bode very well on Josh's eternal future, according to his beliefs. Now, I realize he hasn't been to church all that much of late, according to reports. But I know a lot of LDS people like that. They don't lose testimonies, necessarily. But they have a hard time keeping up with the somewhat onerous process of being an active member of the church (heck, I go at least a little inactive sometimes during football season - but I'm working on it :innocent:), and so they just stop going regularly. My guess is that he falls in that category, as he hasn't left the church entirely.

So, I've thought a lot of what that might have been like on Sunday. My personal guess, if I had to offer one, is that he killed her accidentally with drugs. I don't know why he would drug her - who knows? But maybe, he's sitting there in church, and the full weight of what he's done comes crashing down. In that case, those tears would be sincere - the way a condemned murderer might cry sincere tears as he is approaching the execution chamber. They feel sorry - but it's more sorry for themselves than anything.

JP seems the isolation sort of guy. Not that many friends or the friends he does have are connected to the wife.

So far (at least when I read the comment boards on local sites) it seems to be the ONLY people that even claim to know him are at the IT job... I have yet to come across someone that claimed to be a 'friend'. So, either he does not have any or they do not want feel comfortable sticking up for him or claiming he is of good character. Go figure.

Same impression I get, JERK comes to mind...........

Susan was the loving person in that marriage..........not him.......

That is strange, huh? All the friends that have come forward so far have either been Susan's friends or mutual friends. Doesn't sound like he has any friends that are exclusively his friends or a male friend that is willing to go to bat for him.

New article in the Tribune...

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14009971

"The father of a missing West Valley City woman plans to return home for a few days as the search for his daughter continues with few new leads and growing police frustration over her husband's silence.

A spokeswoman for Charles Cox said he would be traveling to Seattle this afternoon. In a statement posted on the "Friends and Family of Susan Powell" Facebook page, Shelby Gifford also said the family would not be scheduling any additional interviews unless there is a "major break" in the mysterious disappearance of Susan Powell, 28."

I wonder when we will see an arrest ? I certainly hope before the week is out and certainly before Christmas ...

MSNBC reporting: Police Suspect Foul Play In Case Of Missing Woman. Josh Powell Is A Person of Interest.

I couldn't get to sleep right away last night so I tumbled this case around in my head.

Some random thoughts:

Josh is crying because he does not have control of the situation. My DH can be very controlling (but is doing so much better with counseling) and is as manly as they come, and the only time I've seen him break down is when he felt he didn't have control of his life or some important situation. All Josh has to do is think, "I can't control these people!" and bam! Instant sorrow "for Susan."

Regarding this being pre-meditated, I personally don't feel that it was, but I do see that as a possibility. I think if it was pre-mediated than something went way wrong or Josh would have had a much better alibi or at least rehearsed his story.

I just don't see anyone planning to use a midnight tiny tot camping trip in freezing weather and "forgetting" what day it was as an alibi. He also should have returned a whole lot sooner to take care of the fans, call into Susan's work to pretend concern over if she was there and call in to his own employer to let them know he wouldn't be coming in cause his wife was missing. The fans would have been put away long before LE ever came by. He surely would have known that if his wife didn't show up to work, he didn't show up to work and the kids didn't show up to daycare, some calls are going to be made. Imo, this was either a crime of passion or the worst thought out pre-meditated murder in history.

Pretty telling that when asked if she thought Josh had anything to do with it, his sister said, "I sure hope not," instead of something like, "Absolutely NOT!" I'm surprised she'd even admit that. She looks just like him, but seems a lot more upset about Susan than he is.

I'm wondering if he didn't get stuck out there in the snow wherever he put her. The frostbitten hands......maybe he was trying to dig himself out.

I'm thinking he was either stuck or he was just plain running. The fans tend to leave me to believe he either wanted to disappear with the kids without a trace, or he did intend to return....but something went wrong for him out there.

ETA: His getting stuck could also account for his utterly stupid alibi.

Yes and Mr. Cox doesn't think his son-in-law is capable of hurting his daughter and Santa is coming on the 25th.....

I think LE is telling them how/what/why to say everything.....

I wish the blogger whose husband worked with Susan would tell us those other things she said she knew.... Any one watching that blog for more information?

The woman whose husband worked with Susan had mentioned on her blog that she knew a lot more about the abuse and the in-laws that Susan was dealing with. Looks like she took off that statement since Josh hired an attorney as it was still there on Monday morning.:waitasec:

It just seems very risky, to take the chance that she won't 'come to' enough to reach for the phone and call 911. Especially in light of the news aticles that state that Josh left to take the boys sledding at the same time the JoVonna/neighbor/friend/crochet lady was leaving the house.

How would he know Susan was incapacitated so quickly, if he left at the same time JoVonna did?

What if he unplugged the phones (hid her cell phone, or took the battery out) before he left so even if she woke up, they'd be useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhokilledBettie?