Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
"He doesn't do a lot of talking. He mostly looks upset and confused and is
crying most of the time," Hellewell said.

She said she sat next to Josh Powell at church on Sunday and that he cried
through most of the service.

It was at that same church on Dec. 5 that the last known pictures of Susan
Powell were taken. The couple and their children attended a Christmas
breakfast, where one picture shows a smiling Josh Powell with a camera
hanging around his neck, talking with his children while his wife stands a few
feet away reaching for food.

"Susan and her family were very normal and seemed all happy to be there.
We actually talked to them quite a bit. Josh seemed really happy to be
there and he asked me to take a picture of he and the family, and yes, he
has the picture,
" wrote Mindy Kay Perry Guzman, who took the picture.

BBM
Sounds like he may be close to breaking!

..... this would be the last picture of Susan
WHY would he not give that out to the media? They could black
out the kids faces!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705351731/Powell-attends-police-interview-Tues.html?pg=2

I wonder where Josh is sleeping at night. Is he staying at his (and Susan's) house?
Does he still have the boys? Are reporters camped outside the house? Is his Father-In-Law staying with him?

I have so many little questions, let alone the big ones.

Josh and the kids are staying with his sister Jennifer Graves and her husband.

Mr. Cox (Susan's dad and FIL to Josh) ... don't have a clue where he's staying but not with Josh and his family since he's only seen his grandbabies once.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0912/14/ijvm.01.html
COX: I talked with them by phone. I saw them on Saturday, and they appeared to be essentially unaware of the significance of anything and doing just fine, playing with their cousins.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14000824 Police on Tuesday obtained DNA samples from JP in the search for his missing wife.
West Valley City police Capt.

"Investigators have taken DNA samples from multiple people in the search for 28-year-old Susan Powell, and the warrant served Tuesday does not imply her husband is a suspect."

"We hope to have him come in for a more extensive interview, but I don't know if a date or time as been set for that,"

""" according to several sources, JP is a "huge talker" whose hobbies include radio-controlled cars, gardening and landscaping.
According to court documents, JP filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2007 and listed more than $200,000 in credit card, furniture, student loan and other debts.
That debt put a stress on the couple's relationship, several sources told The Salt Lake Tribune.
Even before the bankruptcy, friends had counseled SP to leave her husband, who was "very, very controlling," according to R. M., who met the couple shortly after they wed in 2001.
"She had lots of people tell her to end it and get a divorce because it was not worth going through that kind of heartache," RM said. "But SP didn't want to give up on her marriage.""

Smart Blonde, on this:
"Owings began babysitting for the Powells on Saturdays. Owings said she would bring her 9 year old and 17 year old children along when she tended the Powell boys. Joshua Powell often spent those Saturdays working on the home's back deck, and would teach the Owings children woodworking."

MY thoughts exactly when reading same (!). Why did they need a babysitter on Saturdays, especially if Dad was home?

I'm going to say something here and I hope no one gets upset, it is simply my observation since I moved to Utah and have been around many Mormon families, I am not saying this is the norm for all, but there are some families where the husband does not do any of the tending to young children. That is considered the wife's job!

One of my neighbors is a good example, she has 7 children, plus takes care of the home, there is never anything out of place! and she runs a daycare in the home also. the Stepford Wives are alive and well!

VB

"The reason the no search is currently underway is due to the fact
there is not solid starting location."

"I am not at liberty to discuss what Law Enforcement has advised to do, or not do"

"There is no search being undertaken right now simply because the area is
too huge. The entire state of Utah and all the surrounding states and even
the ones next to those are possibilities"

This is in regards to someone’s suggestion that Susan's dad contact
Tim Miller.

It makes me sad.....
It sounds like they really have NO idea where she is.
IMO that means no cell phone pings... no gps....

In the only interview with Josh... when he first started talking about where
they went he said... "down south to"
Okay so all those familiar with Utah... where do we think the "to" is?

St. George?
Zions?
Las Vegas?
IMO this is the biggest clue because right after that the reported said Moab
and he said no... the pony express trail.. and we all know that is not south!

Trying to be as tactful as possible, but have you watched the videos and seen this woman? She's about twice Josh's age. Gosh ... :banghead: AND the other woman (bff of Susan) Kiirsi is twice Josh's size. :snooty: that others keep trying to "link" to Josh.

:eek: Hey hey hey hey hey... There aint nothing wrong with extra coushin for the pushin... Us big girls need love too.... And some of us are like a fine wine, we get better with age.... :p

The words "warrant served" make it sound like it wasn't given voluntarily, to me.

I wonder who the "multiple people" who supplied DNA are?

I'm thinkin' BIL-Graves, and maybe even JoVonna. This Jovonna thing is making me nuts...Isn't she the one who called Josh while he was still "missing", but she won't say what the conversation was? I know she's older and so, not a love interest, but what about Josh, with all his so called, "gregarious personality", becomes good friends with JoVonna...and she is more supportive of Josh than Susan. Josh tells JoVonna all his "problems" with Susan and because he is giving JoVonna all this attention, she begins to feel needed. Could she have had something to do with Susan's disappearance...in other words, helped Josh?

You know, you can't get away with murder these days. If he drugged her and threw the bottle away, they'll just find out who her doctors were and go after the drug records for matches. If he ordered them over the internet, there's a credit card trail. My only other thought on drug/poison, as an IT person, he may have had bottles of duster around. My hubby is a computer geek, and we keep it on the top shelf wayyyyy in the back (as my son has teen friends come over). If anyone watched the intervention show, a gal was addicted to the stuff, and it knocks you out pretty quick. When hubby uses it, I tell him to take the computer outside. I don't need all of us with drain bamage.

MOO

Mel

Just rambling thoughts....

I'm thinkin' BIL-Graves, and maybe even JoVonna. This Jovonna thing is making me nuts...Isn't she the one who called Josh while he was still "missing", but she won't say what the conversation was? I know she's older and so, not a love interest, but what about Josh, with all his so called, "gregarious personality", becomes good friends with JoVonna...and she is more supportive of Josh than Susan. Josh tells JoVonna all his "problems" with Susan and because he is giving JoVonna all this attention, she begins to feel needed. Could she have had something to do with Susan's disappearance...in other words, helped Josh?
Thank you, Mitzi! This is what I've been thinking.

I know from experience it happens. One of my best friends, who happens to be beautiful, smart, funny, a great mother- the whole package- was married to a guy we both went to high school with. After a few years of marriage, it turned out he was having an affair. Their marriage ended, and he married the 'other woman': Who just happens to be 18 years older than he is- and she looks it. She is not at all what you would call 'pretty'. She never had any children of her own, and has done her best to alienate him from the kids he has with my friend. None of us can understand the attraction he obviously must have for this woman, but now he's been married to her longer than he was married to my friend.

Believe me, it happens.

How old is this woman, JoVonna? I know she's older, but how much older? Could she have had some sort of "mother hen" type feelings toward Josh? I know I work with a lot of younger people and sometimes I feel this compulsion to look out for them like I am their mom......even though I'm not. Just wondering if maybe she and Josh had some heart to heart talks while she was there babysitting and she possibly felt protective of him.

Wow, everyone, I went to bed (in PA. EST), and lots of great posts while I slept! Omegagal, awesome interpretation, and wonderful insights by all. I'm going to have to try to stay up later! Anyway, after reading everything and watching the Today show video posted by Patty (thanks for that!), I have a couple of thoughts.
I agree with those who view Josh as a controlling psychopath, just by the history from stories by people who knew them as a couple. The poison theory sounds plausible, and like someone said, his plan may have been thwarted somewhat by the friend coming over. He kind of got discombobulated and did not consider she could have called for help or crawled outside after he left w/ kids to go "sledding."
The generator story was good, LE hopefully did check to see if it was started.
The "camping trip" seems like the body dump time, and he had plenty of time to get her far away, so a search will be pretty difficult at best. Unless of course he confesses, and tells LE where the body is.
As far as the Jovanna issue, its always possible she is involved somehow, I just wonder why he answered HER call, but no one elses that Monday while "out driving around with the kids." I don't mean she helped with the murder, but that she and Josh may have some sort of relationship, be it friendly, infatuation, or otherwise.
Thanks to all for the wonderful posts from overnight! More to come today I'm sure......:crazy:

Hoping she is found today and an arrest made sooner. I hope someone cracks.

It was all over yesterday when word got out about him 'lawyering up,' that he HAD to be the one responsible for his wife's disappearance because innocent people don't lawyer up and stop talking to LE. I could be wrong here, but I don't believe Josh met 'voluntarily' with LE yesterday as the 'spin' is being depicted. I think there was a SW for his DNA and he had no choice.

The word from LE is he answered 'basic' questions yesterday. That was probably about all LE could get him to do while he was having his DNA taken. Then his lawyer goes out and says 'he met with investigators,' making it sound like he's cooperating. Interesting that LE says they 'hope' to meet with him again for a 'detailed' statement.

Don't be fooled by yesterday's meeting with LE, he's NOT cooperating. LE still doesn't know WHERE to even look for Susan. That in itself is telling as for some reason, they don't believe his statement on where he said he went camping. I don't think it's JUST that they couldn't find any indication he'd been at the campground he told LE either.

I watched one of the first videos of the husband after Susan went missing and his hesitation when telling the reporter where he'd been was interesting. He said 'south,' and the reporter mentioned a particular campground and he hesitated and said 'no,....' and mentioned the other one which wasn't 'south.' The reporter then asked something about 'particular campsites,' I believe he was referring to 'desiganated' and such and Josh hesitated, kind of stuttered and said he had to get going.

His crying and whining isn't because he misses his wife, he's afraid he's going to be found out. IMHO, he's crying for himself.

He's still MY main POI!

JMHO
fran

I have watched a number of these cases where the wife was either murdered or kidnapped and murdered and then cases where the husband is responsible. The cases where the husband had nothing to do with the wife's death or disappearance, the husbands distress is palpable. They are frantic and their heart is exposed for all to see. They don't avoid LE and they don't avoid the media and they do NOT avoid the wife's family. EVER!

The husband is the first to be suspected and the innocent one's will do ANYTHING to prove to LE they're innocent and to take the focus off them and find their wife or their wife's killer. Just ask John Walsh and Marc Klaas. They both took multiple LD tests to prove they needed to be out looking for the REAL killer/kidnapper.

I'm sorry, but I can't recall the names (there's been so many), but there's the case where the pregnant wife was delivering papers to news stands and was shot for no reason. Then there's the one where the wife was kidnapped out of her home and the husband returned after work a few hours later and his small children were home alone and his wife's purse and everything was inside. BOTH of these guys never waivered in their cooperation and immediately went to their wife's family for aid and comfort and never even hesitated in their cooperaton with LE. NOT one minute, much less one day or several days.

Josh didn't just miss meeting LE on Monday, he was due to meet them on Friday as well and was a 'no show' for that one too. Who would cause delay in getting possibly vital information to LE when time is of the essence? IMHO, someone with something to hide.

Josh is in damage control now with the guidance of his attorney. But, IMHO, it's too late. The damage is done and there's no going back. I believe he knows where Susan is and he put her there. Now we just have to pray that he has a break-down like Mark Hacking.

JMHO
fran

I think Texas Mist and Passionflower are on to something. Sounds like they have had experiences not unlike Susan or myself....

My theory of what happened is based on what I have read, seen and heard so far on this case as well as personal experiences in the church and with a psychopath. Any licensed clinicians with additional experience with psychopaths, narcissists and abuse please feel free to chime in.

Background: I think around the time Susan had her first baby things she only barely noticed in Josh's personality started becoming more distinct. The control and power issues were now at full force. (Someone on the earlier news report said Susan and Josh seemed to be doing well and were happy when they first moved to the area 5 years ago)
One of the first things an abuser will do is take the woman away from her support system (family in Washington) He has family in Utah. Obviously they did not move there because he had this wonderful, high paying career waiting for him. What he didn't expect is that Susan was strong and well liked and would develop a support system in her new community. It must have driven him wild to see how competent and happy she could find herself, especially without him being the reason for her happiness. After all she was merely an extension of himself as were "his" children.

Over the last couple of months: The power and control issues were getting worse and worse. Susan had made a couple of very smart moves. She had gotten a decent job. Josh had been telling her for some time that if she left, she would never be able to support herself. He probably said "Look at me, I can't even handle a full time job. Do you think a judge is ever going to give you enough support that you could live off it?" The psychopath always underestimates his victim. They may have started out with marital counseling but more than likely the counselor (probably from LDS Family Services) realized after a few interviews, it was an abuse issue not a marital issue. That means that Susan was probably in counseling with a private counselor as well as her bishop. Psychopaths never subcomb to treatment. After all they are smarter and wiser than any professional counselor so Josh would never see a counselor or admit the abuse. Susan was probably put on either anti-depressants, anti-anxiety or sleeping pills or some combination of these. This would give Josh the opportunity to start telling people that Susan "wasn't right" or that she was "unstable". He would love to believe that but no one else was really buying into it. So things started getting worse and worse for Josh. She had to be stopped.

Currently: I think that Susan and Josh had an enormous fight or "power struggle" Saturday night or Sunday morning before church. Josh said he wasn't going to church, Susan went. Her friend Kriisi (sp?) said she didn't see Susan at church but saw her when walking home. I bet Susan was in the bishop's office telling him what had just happened. You DO see your best friends during church at least some time during the 3 hours you attend. Josh knowing his time was about out, made a plan. While Susan was at church, he took Susan's entire bottle of sleeping pills and crushed them, planning to put them in her food at dinner, then leaving with the boys for sledding to come home to find that Susan had killed herself with an overdose of sleeping pills. His plan backfired because as usual Susan messed with the plan. Instead Susan invited someone to come over after church for an early dinner. This drove Josh nuts as he had already crushed all the pills. What if Susan saw all of her pills missing???? So Josh went along with the plan. Very interesting how he didn't serve a casserole but make individual "pancakes" and scrambled eggs. I'll bet you anything that you can not taste medication in eggs or perhaps juice. Then he has to keep checking on her during dinner. This is the point where he starts getting schizoid because of the change of plans. He tells her friend that he's taking the boys sledding to show he's going to be out of the house with the boys for a while hoping that will cover his butte and get her to leave. Susan starts feeling poorly and needs to lie down. The friend leaves and he takes the boys out for a while to let his poor wife die in bed, figuring when he gets home he can put the bottle next to her bed. Only instead, when he left Susan got up out of bed, making it to the living room collapses on the floor where she proceeds to foam at the mouth or vomit. When he comes home he finds her like this. I think he's not the "good dad" as people make him out to be. Psychopaths are too lazy to be good parents. They are controlling parents. Josh would have put the kids either back in the car right away (oldest one up front as he can talk) or put them in a room by themselves while he put Susan in the van and started to clean up. He probably got all that together by 12:30. The oldest child must have known that Susan was in the back of the van, though and probably asked his dad some good questions. (that child and DNA are going to be Susan's saving grace) I think since Josh told reporters he was south and then west of SLC that Josh actually went just the opposite way, either north or east. I also think he pulled off on the side of the road and the oldest child saw "woods" or "trees" in the head lights. Not a forest, not a desert, not a heavy snowstorm but "woods/trees". Meanwhile Josh came around to the back of the van and took Susan's body out and either (must still be an active suicide plan) put her in a large body of water near a bridge or even worst put her in a sewer hole. I do think he's smart and just playing dumb. But I don't think he's brilliant and he's certainly no where near as brilliant as he thinks he is.

Also, I agree with the lip thing. It's almost a smirk of contempt for LE and the press. When he says I just want to find her, I hear him saying "and you won't find her". Listen and watch that interview by his car again. Seems like he's just evil and taunting the press.

BBM This is fantastic and needs bumped! Thankyou

The police chief was just on Fox News (national) and announced that Josh is a "person of interest".

He did answer minimal questions to police yesterday but as far as sitting down and answering extensive questions they have in order to move the case forward, that didn't happen.

He said that a search warrant was served to obtain the DNA.

Needing a babysitter on Saturdays while 'dad' was home...........
Imagine power tools (saws, hammers, nails, sanders etc) with 2 curious
boys ages 1-2 and 4-5 years of age........would JP stop and change diapers?
feed them? Watch that they didn't get hurt??

JOSH wanted people to think he was a terrific husband, dad, but he's far from it, IMO He is only a FAKE!!!.

How old is this woman, JoVonna? I know she's older, but how much older? Could she have had some sort of "mother hen" type feelings toward Josh? I know I work with a lot of younger people and sometimes I feel this compulsion to look out for them like I am their mom......even though I'm not. Just wondering if maybe she and Josh had some heart to heart talks while she was there babysitting and she possibly felt protective of him.

JP might of wanted an older, mature, submissive, motherly, woman around Susan for an example of what a good Mormon wife SHOULD be.............
JP maybe didn't like HER YOUNGER gal pals..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthonyotoole