Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warrants in missing Utah mom case sealed

Associated Press - December 28, 2009 4:25 PM ET

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Search warrants in the case of a 28-year-old Utah woman missing for three weeks have been sealed.

Susan Powell was last seen on Dec. 7, when husband Josh Powell says he left their suburban home in West Valley City about 12:30 a.m. to take their two boys camping in freezing conditions.

She was reported missing the same day when she failed to show up for her stockbroker job and her kids weren't dropped off at day care

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=11738840

And it looks like the Tribune will be fighting it.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14082069

ITA, I feel she is close to her own home.
Josh seems lazy, germophobic, someone that would panic after Susan died and just take her somewhere quick, then go on with some plan to throw LE and everyone off.
All the miles was someone panicing and getting out of the house, no where to go.........just running, thinking, and can't even think of a good plan.
Now if she is found near home, he'll try to say she walked out and froze to death.
He is such a coward I would not be surprised if he took her out unconscience.
and left her to die where she laid..........creepy!
what's around the house? woods? the neighbors seem close but not that close???

There are no woods. We obviously live near mountain ranges - but they are not walking distance. She lives in the burbs of Salt Lake City. Houses are pretty close to each other. I know folks have posted links from where they live on Google Earth... you can see (below link) there is not really any place to wander and 'get lost' and the homes are pretty close to each other. 20 steps and you can be in your neighbors driveway. The whole area is pretty heavily populated. So... if you was going to go that route I would hope someone would have found her by now.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA

IIRC, Mark Geragos thought Scott Peterson was suspicious from the beginning and then went on to change his tune by defending him. Maybe Geragos just says the opposite of what he really feels ;)

I'm trying to catch up - Mark Geragos did change his tune, defended Scott Peterson, and then failed to show up for the verdict.

A few thoughts I can't get out of my mind.....First, thanks omegagal for posting the Eyes for Lies post. Some of the things that are said in that post are things that I wholeheartedly agree with.

I am no psychic, not pretending to be, nor do I have any faith in psychic phenomenon. Just thought I would say that right off the bat.

I too, believe that Susan was poisoned. In my mind though, it is not a "traditional" poisoning, such as a poisoning over time. IOW, I don't believe he was poisoning her for weeks or months. In my opinion, someone in that house was taking a prescription sleep medication, such as Ambien or something similar. I know that I have brought up Ambien before, but just as a recap....Ambien is not only a sleep medication, but also acts as a hypnotic. The medicine is a controlled release medication that puts you fast asleep with the first layer and the second layer, aka the hypnotic keeps you asleep. However, if there is a bad reaction to this medication and the user wakes up, they can be in a sleepwalk type state....hypnotic. They don't know what is going on and act out day to day activities, such as driving....etc...without even realizing what they are doing.

Why is this important and what does it have to do with anything in this case? It's my opinion that he possibly cooked this type of medication in her food that night. He may have thought he crushed up enough of it to render her unconcious for an amount of time that he thought would be sufficent for her to either 1) be dead or 2) have enough time to keep her in a state to where he could easily give her more drugs to make it look like an accidental overdose. Susan's report of how the marriage was improving and JoVonna's observations of their marriage would surely lend a lot of weight to Josh attempting to make things work. The plan went awry when he came home after "sledding" and discovered Susan dead on the livingroom floor. One could conclude IF a person were to have a hypnotic episode that they would instinctively go to act out the last thing they were doing before going to lay down. For Susan, that would be in the livingroom with her friend, learning to crochet. Something may have happened, whether she fell, threw up and passed out or something along those lines. Of course you would have to think what he would have told the boys if they saw their Mommy on the floor. Maybe they saw, maybe they didn't. He could have told them she is sleeping.

I also have to agree that it's more likely that he went in the opposite direction of what he said to the police and media. I've mentioned it before, but there is a Pony Express RV resort Northeast of WVC. Completely opposite of what he told LE/media. The interview of him near the rental car with the navy blue cap is very bizarre. He seems unsure of himself and agrees with what ever the reporter says. If you listen to the end of the interview when the reporter asks him something to the effect of "So you thought it was Sunday, you thought you lost a day?" [paraphrasing] and he simply says "Yeah". But the way he said it was weird. It reminded me of a small child who was admitting to wrongdoing. It wasn't someone who was sure of where they were, it was more like he was making up things as they went along. His hesitation when relaying what he did was really the most troubling aspect, IMO.

I don't know what else to think right now. I just think he is so bizarre, but I can't put my finger on what is wrong with him (besides believing he is a killer). I want to say Asperger's Syndrome. My son has Autism Spectrum Disorder (non-Asperger's). My son is only 9, but I see a lot of the emotional (or lack of emotion, I should say) responses he would have. I wish I had a better way of explaining it.......

A few thoughts I can't get out of my mind.....First, thanks omegagal for posting the Eyes for Lies post. Some of the things that are said in that post are things that I wholeheartedly agree with.

I am no psychic, not pretending to be, nor do I have any faith in psychic phenomenon. Just thought I would say that right off the bat.

I too, believe that Susan was poisoned. In my mind though, it is not a "traditional" poisoning, such as a poisoning over time. IOW, I don't believe he was poisoning her for weeks or months. In my opinion, someone in that house was taking a prescription sleep medication, such as Ambien or something similar. I know that I have brought up Ambien before, but just as a recap....Ambien is not only a sleep medication, but also acts as a hypnotic. The medicine is a controlled release medication that puts you fast asleep with the first layer and the second layer, aka the hypnotic keeps you asleep. However, if there is a bad reaction to this medication and the user wakes up, they can be in a sleepwalk type state....hypnotic. They don't know what is going on and act out day to day activities, such as driving....etc...without even realizing what they are doing.

Why is this important and what does it have to do with anything in this case? It's my opinion that he possibly cooked this type of medication in her food that night. He may have thought he crushed up enough of it to render her unconcious for an amount of time that he thought would be sufficent for her to either 1) be dead or 2) have enough time to keep her in a state to where he could easily give her more drugs to make it look like an accidental overdose. Susan's report of how the marriage was improving and JoVonna's observations of their marriage would surely lend a lot of weight to Josh attempting to make things work. The plan went awry when he came home after "sledding" and discovered Susan dead on the livingroom floor. One could conclude IF a person were to have a hypnotic episode that they would instinctively go to act out the last thing they were doing before going to lay down. For Susan, that would be in the livingroom with her friend, learning to crochet. Something may have happened, whether she fell, threw up and passed out or something along those lines. Of course you would have to think what he would have told the boys if they saw their Mommy on the floor. Maybe they saw, maybe they didn't. He could have told them she is sleeping.

I also have to agree that it's more likely that he went in the opposite direction of what he said to the police and media. I've mentioned it before, but there is a Pony Express RV resort Northeast of WVC. Completely opposite of what he told LE/media. The interview of him near the rental car with the navy blue cap is very bizarre. He seems unsure of himself and agrees with what ever the reporter says. If you listen to the end of the interview when the reporter asks him something to the effect of "So you thought it was Sunday, you thought you lost a day?" [paraphrasing] and he simply says "Yeah". But the way he said it was weird. It reminded me of a small child who was admitting to wrongdoing. It wasn't someone who was sure of where they were, it was more like he was making up things as they went along. His hesitation when relaying what he did was really the most troubling aspect, IMO.

I don't know what else to think right now. I just think he is so bizarre, but I can't put my finger on what is wrong with him (besides believing he is a killer). I want to say Asperger's Syndrome. My son has Autism Spectrum Disorder (non-Asperger's). My son is only 9, but I see a lot of the emotional (or lack of emotion, I should say) responses he would have. I wish I had a better way of explaining it.......

Just popping in on the Ambien thang. I've been pretty much an insomniac since my surgery last year, and my doc perscribed a low dose. To be honest, it does nothing for me - nada. I can get a few hours sleep, but to tell you the truth, a glass of wine will put me to sleep quicker. I've never had the sleepwalking, or other effects that some have. I don't take more than perscribed either. I've given up on it actually.

Now that's not to say it may knock other people out, especially if one hasn't used it before. Oh the good ol' days, when I could take one and fall asleep. I think after awhile your body builds up a tolerance to it (like many drugs) and you need more and more to sleep. But I know how dangerous it could be if I upped my dose, and my doctor doesn't want me to. I also can't take other sleep meds due to some of the diabetic meds I'm on. It's such a careful balance.

My doc prescribed me Ambien CR 12.5 MG. She said it wouldn't be safe to perscribe a higher dosage.

IF, he crushed pills, as a controlled substance, LE could track how many pills were used/missing, by going to the pharmacist or doctor each were seeing. They can even subpeona the health insurance records if need be to see what drugs each person in the family are taking.

I'm sure curious if any pills in the house are missing! That would be a great lead.

All the best,

Mel

Mel~ your comment made me think about Josh not going/staying back at his house. These are my thoughts on why he won't go back to the house IMO
1) I think he is such a wuss that he won't stay in the house he murdered his wife in. Or
2) If he looks out certain windows, he may be looking at the "grave" of his wife. Or
3) He thinks LE would be on surveillance at/around the house 24/7. Or
4) He thinks the having the boys there may trigger some memories for the 4 year old that he doesn't want triggered. ie - an argument between he and Susan or daddy hurting mommy.

These are just my thoughts....I find it very weird that he won't or hasn't gone back to house.

I think many of us are on the same track. Didn't Peterson leave his home as well, not to return (staying with friends and his sister, then going to some cabin).

I find it odd not wanting to be around your loved ones belongings when they are missing. Not to go OT, but when my SIL died of cancer, all anyone wanted to do was be in her house - it brought us comfort.

What he's doing to those boys is horrible. I can't imagine they want to be with grandpa all this time, in strange surroundings, under a new routine. They should be home where they belong.

Of course, (IMHO) Josh doesn't want that. I wonder why????

Mel

He could have just asked someone for a couple because he was having trouble sleeping - so, really, no need for an rx in the house.

There really seems to be a controlling force out there --

This thing about dotting your i's and crossing your t's is good to a certain extent, but when you have 2 tiny little boys with an obviously lying (how much more obvious do you have to be?) father (and grandfather) -- YES, there is probable cause to take them away.

I'm just overwhelmed.

Well, if someone took Susan against her will out of the State of Utah, don't you think they could do that to her neighbors, too?

No one has the right to say that someone just disappeared and "don't ask any questions".

Are you kidding?

I'm just overwhelmed.

Well, if someone took Susan against her will out of the State of Utah, don't you think they could do that to her neighbors, too?

No one has the right to say that someone just disappeared and "don't ask any questions".

Are you kidding?
Don't forget, not only did they take Susan but they locked the door behind them and made her abusive husband lie, drive around for hours in the wilderness, and with hold the information that he knows. She's extremely naive about this whole thing. Tell us that they created a web presence to help find Susan and then are only going to tell part of the facts they know and then wonder why people are speculating. I think she called us "arm chair detectives". You know what, Good Luck Kiirsi. I hope Susan had some better and smarter friends than you or she really was wandering around in the darkness of her world. Shame on you Kiiris. I hope you're just tired and delusional because right now, you're sounding a whole lot like Josh Powell.... ignorant!!

I just got here - this is really scary.

I hope LE is being kept informed about all this? LE has a responsibility to keep the community safe and to make them FEEL safe -- if there is a kidnapper out there, they need to let the public know.

The thing is - no one is going to give up on Susan Powell - NO ONE. The right thing will happen, and she will be found. (and maybe take down . . .)

And maybe it would be a good idea (since the above person stated she believes that Susan was taken out of Utah) that the FBI was involved????

Clearly Kiirsi knows things about Susan and Josh others don't know. At the same time, it might appear some people know things she did not. I sense a lot of ego there. Why would she know things about the police investigation not meant to be made public?? SeriouslY? Why would they tell her that?

I'd like to believe that she's playing Josh and trying to get a confession or something...but her defensiveness and her statements...I don't know. Wouldn't it have been better not to say anything at all? I mean "I won't say why I am still friends with Josh?". Dim. Really dim.

I am having a hard time thinking this is all about Susan. Because that long post was all about Kiirsi. She's either a master spy being used by the police or clueless and full of herself.

.....coming up on Issues in just a few minutes after break for those interested.

:banghead:
WOW…
I hope that none of us ever have to walk in Kiirsi's shoes...
Is there really this much hate on this board for her or are some just
frustrated that LE isn't giving out much info?
I mean ... really!

Snips for her post that may help those who think she is ignorant....

I agree with her.....Susan has been taken against her will and is most likely
not in the state of Utah, and not telling the world things the police want kept
inside the investigation is VERY important right now!

Do I think Susan is dead... yes... do I think Josh did it... yes... do I think
he took her out of state... yes.... and IMO so does Kiirsi but if she comes
out and says that then she has lost hope and I can only imagine that when
your best friend is missing you would cling to all the hope you can muster
until proven otherwise!

IMO....sleuths should really learn to read between lines and figure out what is
NOT said by Kiirsi in her post before they call her ignorant!

All I can say about Susan's friend is WOW, just WOW....Most certainly the police are not telling her inside information, or at least I would hope they aren't.

I don't mean to sound like I'm "hating" on her, but she's clearly got some serious blinders on when it comes to Josh. Anyone with half a brain can see he's not been forthcoming with the investigators, he's not done anything whatsoever to help with the search for his wife, and he's lawyered up....

If my spouse were missing, the last thing I would do is lawyer up, if I had NOTHING to do with his disappearance. Josh just looks guilty.

JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

She needs to be passing out flyers with Josh's picture on them. That would be the common sense thing.

:banghead:
WOW…
I hope that none of us ever have to walk in Kiirsi's shoes...
Is there really this much hate on this board for her or are some just
frustrated that LE isn't giving out much info?
I mean ... really!

IMO....sleuths should really learn to read between lines and figure out what is
NOT said by Kiirsi in her post before they call her ignorant!

Ignorant: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

As I said earlier, she does sound ignorant.... Ignorant because she doesn't think people should speculate (arm chair detectives statement) and should search for Susan by handing out flyers and accept only half the facts. Based on the facts that we do have, Kiirsi does sound ignorant.. that blog (as Ginger previously said) is all about Kiirsi, not Susan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhokilledBettie?