UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Cox stated at one time, "When they (police) broke the window and got in the house, they found my daughter's purse and cell phone on the bed, a wet spot on the floor dried by two fans", said Cox, "And the family was gone."

If this is accurate, I find it interesting that Susan's purse and cell phone were on the bed. I don't sleep with my purse and cell on the bed. Makes you wonder what they were doing there.

Would you kindly post the link for Mr. Cox's statement to reference. Thanks.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Josh had set them there with the intention of taking them along to get rid of them and then forgot, OR

If he set those items there as 'staging' to make it look like she was planning on going somewhere, but later while getting ready to leave, she let someone in the house who ended up being her killer. :eyeroll

Or she put them there herself, getting ready to go out, then the argument developed elsewhere, she was killed by Josh, and he forgot to move/remove them.

I haven't seen the original news source for these items being on the bed, so I'll take that with a pinch of salt until someone can provide a link. However the purse and keys left anywhere in the house are another pointer to her not leaving of her own accord IMO, and a slip-up on Josh's part if he killed her or abducted her.

I wonder if, during the house clearance on Saturday, any of her friends noticed if all her coats were present. Most people only have a couple of cold-weather overcoats, and if she was already dead when she left the house I doubt Josh would have bothered to wrap her in a coat. The presence of all her coats would be a point against Josh, though the absence of one wouldn't necessarily show that she wasn't killed by him, as she might have already put it on when she was killed and it was left on her.

I'm still of the opinion that it was all sparked off by a late-night argument, not pre-meditated, Josh had to act quickly to remove her body and missed a few things, and that's why Josh's story is such a sieve.

Hi Bartleby,,,,,,,,,,

If you are going to quote a post of mine please quote the whole thing and not a part of it. You can use the bold button to highlight a specific part of my post and that is alright. It just throws it out of context when you do it that way. Thanks.

My apologies Dr. Fessel. I didn't mean to change the context, just cutting for space. In future I'll quote everything and highlight.

Would you kindly post the link for Mr. Cox's statement to reference. Thanks.

Here it is, PattyG:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/79033337.html

Charles Cox has been spending a lot of time in front of the computer, scrolling through a Facebook page dedicated to finding his daughter.

"There's over 700 people, and closing in on 800," he said.

The mother of two was last seen Sunday night near her home in Utah. A friend called police after the 28 year old didn't drop her kids off at daycare on Monday and failed to report to work.

Neither Powell nor her husband picked up their cell phones.

Officers went to the Powells' home. When no one came to the door, they broke a window and went inside, fearing a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"When they broke the window and got in the house, they found my daughter's purse and cell phone on the bed, a wet spot on the floor dried by two fans," said Cox. "And the family was gone."

Joshua Powell later told police he and the boys were out camping at the time.

Detectives remain tight-lipped about the investigation, but Cox doesn't need to hear from them; only the return of his daughter can ease the fear of this father, worried sick.

"I don't think she's OK," said Cox. "No one has heard from her."

Or she put them there herself, getting ready to go out, then the argument developed elsewhere, she was killed by Josh, and he forgot to move/remove them.

I haven't seen the original news source for these items being on the bed, so I'll take that with a pinch of salt until someone can provide a link. However the purse and keys left anywhere in the house are another pointer to her not leaving of her own accord IMO, and a slip-up on Josh's part if he killed her or abducted her.

I wonder if, during the house clearance on Saturday, any of her friends noticed if all her coats were present. Most people only have a couple of cold-weather overcoats, and if she was already dead when she left the house I doubt Josh would have bothered to wrap her in a coat. The presence of all her coats would be a point against Josh, though the absence of one wouldn't necessarily show that she wasn't killed by him, as she might have already put it on when she was killed and it was left on her.

I'm still of the opinion that it was all sparked off by a late-night argument, not pre-meditated, Josh had to act quickly to remove her body and missed a few things, and that's why Josh's story is such a sieve.

We could also take that one step further, in a way. When that lady that ate dinner with them said that Susan excused herself due to wanting to lie down from being tired or feeling sick, could that have been a fib on Susan's part? If she knew Josh was taking the kids sledding, maybe she had plans to go somewhere real quick while he was gone with the kids; some personal business she didn't want him to be aware of?

If Josh suspected she wasn't being truthful, he may have been lying in wait for her to get back up and then it all went downhill.

So many speculations and possible scenarios.

We could also take that one step further, in a way. When that lady that ate dinner with them said that Susan excused herself due to wanting to lie down from being tired or feeling sick, could that have been a fib on Susan's part? If she knew Josh was taking the kids sledding, maybe she had plans to go somewhere real quick while he was gone with the kids; some personal business she didn't want him to be aware of?

If Josh suspected she wasn't being truthful, he may have been lying in wait for her to get back up and then it all went downhill.

BBM

The more I think about this discrepency, the more I tend to consider this theory. I've previously posted that Josh outright lied when he said that she did not *not* feel well and laid down early. But maybe he didn't lie about that? That would mean that, for whatever reason, Susan only used that as an excuse to get rid of their guest.

The cell phone and purse on the bed are also very telling. IMO that would be a place to set your stuff as you prepare to leave (or return) and are putting on your shoes or changing clothes.

Interesting. It's possible. She'd have access to the car, right? Because I'd assume Josh and the kids could walk with their sleds to a hill nearby.

I wonder, too if the fans were actually left on and actively drying the spot, or if the fans were set up but off.

Interesting. It's possible. She'd have access to the car, right? Because I'd assume Josh and the kids could walk with their sleds to a hill nearby.

Does anyone know if that was the norm for them? To walk to a sledding hill, or to drive to one? And how close would the closest hill be? I could see her taking that risk if he had to drive somehwere with the kids to sled, more than if he had to walk with the kids somewhere.

I don't think she would ever have considered leaving without her children, and if she had a plan to leave, it would have involved taking them with her, and she would have told someone - Kiirsi, JoVonna, or another female friend she could trust.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-Susan-Powell-told-of-marriage-struggles.html

She may have walking a knife-edge between keeping him sweet and preparing to run, and he found out.

I wonder, too if the fans were actually left on and actively drying the spot, or if the fans were set up but off.

I myself found myself wondering how 'wet' this wet spot was. I know when I do the carpets I try to be patient and suck up as much of the water as I can. My husband shakes his head because I spend so much more time on it than he would. How much is sucked back out would be one of the factors determining how long it would remain wet.

If a shampooer was used, nothing would have been 'sucked' back out, thus a wetter wet spot. OH, and if this was done in a rush, and it was a sucking machine, then not a lot would have been sucked back out. I know, I'm a goofball! ::: ducking and blushing :::

I don't think she would ever have considered leaving without her children, and if she had a plan to leave, it would have involved taking them with her, and she would have told someone - Kiirsi, JoVonna, or another female friend she could trust.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-Susan-Powell-told-of-marriage-struggles.html

She may have walking a knife-edge between keeping him sweet and preparing to run, and he found out.

Sorry, I meant, that she wasn't going to literally leave him at this time, but just take care of an errand that may have been (or not) related to the final leaving of Josh. Maybe something came up that she needed to take care of and she fabricated not feeling well or being sick to get Jovana out and take care of this thing while Josh was gone with the kids, is all.

Here it is, PattyG:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/79033337.html

Charles Cox has been spending a lot of time in front of the computer, scrolling through a Facebook page dedicated to finding his daughter.

"There's over 700 people, and closing in on 800," he said.

The mother of two was last seen Sunday night near her home
in Utah. A friend called police after the 28 year old didn't drop her kids off at daycare on Monday and failed to report to work.

Neither Powell nor her husband picked up their cell phones.

Officers went to the Powells' home. When no one came to the door, they broke a window and went inside, fearing a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"When they broke the window and got in the house, they found my daughter's purse and cell phone on the bed, a wet spot on the floor dried by two fans," said Cox. "And the family was gone."

Joshua Powell later told police he and the boys were out camping at the time.

Detectives remain tight-lipped about the investigation, but Cox doesn't need to hear from them; only the return of his daughter can ease the fear of this father, worried sick.

"I don't think she's OK," said Cox. "No one has heard from her."

bbm

What the heck is that?

Strict LDS do not drink alcohol, or caffeine. They don't stop other people doing so, even in LDS homes.

That article so disturbs me. I totally understand friends talking to LE, but what's their reason/need for talking about their Susan's private emails to a newspaper???? We (the public) don't have a need to know about Susan's private emails. It was very wise to give LE the info, as was done. But, it would have been much better for the friends to (after telling LE) keep Susan's business quiet, and not gift additional info about what LE has been told to whoever is responsible for Susan's disappearance.

To not take a loss on monthly rental payments, Josh would have to charge too much to make it marketable.

Per bankruptcy records Schedule J, the monthly mortgage not including property insurance or taxes was $1296. Add the insurance and taxes and it's closer to $1500 a month in payments. For a 1100 sq foot 3/2.5 house?

The closest rental house that I've found in West Valley City is 1500 sq feet 3/2 and they are asking $1200 a month which probably includes a bit of a profit margin. http://hotpads.com/search/listing/1...&loan=30,0.0525,0&visible=new,viewed,favorite

Unless someone wants to rent it from him out of charity, IMO the value just isn't there for that kinda dough! It makes for a good soundbite though, Joshy.

I myself found myself wondering how 'wet' this wet spot was. I know when I do the carpets I try to be patient and suck up as much of the water as I can. My husband shakes his head because I spend so much more time on it than he would. How much is sucked back out would be one of the factors determining how long it would remain wet.

If a shampooer was used, nothing would have been 'sucked' back out, thus a wetter wet spot. OH, and if this was done in a rush, and it was a sucking machine, then not a lot would have been sucked back out. I know, I'm a goofball! ::: ducking and blushing :::

I saw a wet/dry vac in one of those moving pictures! Let me go find that again...

Strict LDS do not drink alcohol, or caffeine. They don't stop other people doing so, even in LDS homes.

Honestly, you'd probably get lots of different takes on this. Especially about alcohol. Many mormons are OK with having (or a family member having) occasional diet coke. It's kind of funny--diet coke is more accepted than having a coffee. I don't know why, it just is.
Most aren't tolerant at all about a glass of wine, or a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState