UT - Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If one of our computer sleuths ran down the ISP etc. of the Carla Jean Page, I wouldn't be surprised if it led to Utah or Seattle. The amaturish punctuation strangeness, and proffering that Susan disappeared for "reasons" (and is in protective custody), or that her family has a life insurance policy on her (pointing the finger at them, I guess), sprinkled with reasons why Josh didn't do it, indicate the possibilty of Powell authorship. Adding the "government" angle may be to make it look like a non-Powell wrote it.

No, CJP has been involved on Facebook since Susan Powell disappeared and was wanting Josh Powell to be arrested immediately. When that didn't happen, the West Valley City Police Department was relentlessly attacked, shortly after which the Facebook group, susan powell, was shut down for TOS violations.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11200235

A body was found in Tooele near a potash plant, which is close to the area Josh went "camping" they do not think it is Susan Powell and that the skeleton is a few years old. I am not really sure what potash is but I wonder if it could make a body decompose faster? This is the definition on Wikipedia:

The word "potash" is derived from the Dutch word potasch, and originally referred to wood ash. Potassium carbonate, a basic chemical of pre-modern times, was extracted from it. Today potash refers to potassium compounds and potassium-bearing materials, the most common being potassium chloride (KCl). The term "potash" comes from the old method of making potassium carbonate (K2CO3) by leaching wood ashes and evaporating the solution in large iron pots, leaving a white residue called "pot ash".[2][3] Later, "potash" became the term widely applied to naturally occurring potassium salts and the commercial product derived from them.[

I read that on facebook and couldn't believe someone would come up with such a ridiculous idea. To each there own, but this one was way out there.

I read that on facebook and couldn't believe someone would come up with such a ridiculous idea. To each there own, but this one was way out there.
I was referring to the post about someone thinking the government took Susan.

No matter how hard everyone and I tried, none of us could convince CJP that people are rarely charged for murdering someone when there is no body and if Susan is not found, she should expect to wait several years for Josh Powell to be taken to trial. Instead of grasping what we all have been trying to explain to her, she has come up with some outlandish theories!

A body was found in Tooele near a potash plant, which is close to the area Josh went "camping" they do not think it is Susan Powell and that the skeleton is a few years old. I am not really sure what potash is but I wonder if it could make a body decompose faster? This is the definition on Wikipedia:

The word "potash" is derived from the Dutch word potasch, and originally referred to wood ash. Potassium carbonate, a basic chemical of pre-modern times, was extracted from it. Today potash refers to potassium compounds and potassium-bearing materials, the most common being potassium chloride (KCl). The term "potash" comes from the old method of making potassium carbonate (K2CO3) by leaching wood ashes and evaporating the solution in large iron pots, leaving a white residue called "pot ash".[2][3] Later, "potash" became the term widely applied to naturally occurring potassium salts and the commercial product derived from them.[

Snupy, this discovery has me very intrigued, not least of all because potash and all the salt around there will speed up decomp, as far as I know.
I'd bet that until they have reason to believe this is Susan, they'll keep it hush hush. We wouldn't want Josh to get scared and bolt now, would we?!

A body was found in Tooele near a potash plant, which is close to the area Josh went "camping" they do not think it is Susan Powell and that the skeleton is a few years old.

I don't think this is Susan either as I just can't picture Josh leaving Susan laying on the ground face down where she would soon be discovered. Clearly this is someone and if they didn't die of natural causes, someone was very careless. It will be interesting to learn who it is and how long the person has been missing.

Updated version: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11186788

"Investigators say the person likely died as a result of foul play..."
"Around noon, a worker at the Intrepid Potash plant spotted the skeletal remains near a canal on the property..."

So, not in the water. But near a canal. It could have shifted if it had been dumped in a retention lake, perhaps?
I still say that until it's positively verified that this is NOT Susan, there's a chance that it might be.
And while this is not the desired outcome for this tragic case, it might be the only one that will bring *some* closure, justice and relief to those who have been left behind.

Like I have said for the last 6 months, I do wonder...

And, please, my apologies for sounding so clinical on this. Susan's case has affected me deeply for such a long time and I am not without emotion on this. I so believe, though, that some kind of closure for her loved ones is about the only compensation left, at this time. :(

No, CJP has been involved on Facebook since Susan Powell disappeared and was wanting Josh Powell to be arrested immediately. When that didn't happen, the West Valley City Police Department was relentlessly attacked, shortly after which the Facebook group, susan powell, was shut down for TOS violations.

Really. They believe there may have been "government involvement" in Susan's disappearance, but CJP is NOT a Powell. Huh. Standing room only at the yo-yo factory, I guess.

Updated version: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11186788

"Investigators say the person likely died as a result of foul play..."
"Around noon, a worker at the Intrepid Potash plant spotted the skeletal remains near a canal on the property..."

So, not in the water. But near a canal. It could have shifted if it had been dumped in a retention lake, perhaps?
I still say that until it's positively verified that this is NOT Susan, there's a chance that it might be.
And while this is not the desired outcome for this tragic case, it might be the only one that will bring *some* closure, justice and relief to those who have been left behind.

Like I have said for the last 6 months, I do wonder...

And, please, my apologies for sounding so clinical on this. Susan's case has affected me deeply for such a long time and I am not without emotion on this. I so believe, though, that some kind of closure for her loved ones is about the only compensation left, at this time. :(

Investigators say due to the condition of the body, they are not able to make an ID right now or determine an age. They are not sure about gender just yet but say clothing remnants lead them to believe it may be the body of a woman.

The area where it was found has a lot of salt, and investigators say that has also contributed to the deterioration.

I have always thought that with the weather we had that night he could not have gone far off the main road to dispose of her. The plant is just two and a half miles off the highway. Also in the picture you can see the remnants of salt on the side of canal. I was there (Wendover Utah) about 3 weeks ago and I recall thinking I do not remember the salt flats ever being under water so near Bonneville Raceway which is very close to Potash plant.

Well, given all the questions remaining in this particular discovery, along with the salt and existence of the potash, and lack of ID at this point, I guess we can't rule anything out?
There must be a number of families right now who are battling with their emotions after this discovery. It's a sad sad world we live in, that good people are subjected to this kind of torment :( It's just wrong.

Hello, I am a new comer and contributing to discussions on the internet is something I have never been comfortable with.:blushing: However, I am deeply moved by Susan's story and a few weeks ago I read per chance a page on web sleuths about a woman who was searching for Susan in the desert and surrounding area where Susan went missing. She had found an unusual concrete slab several hundred yards from an abandoned gas station. The person who made the post described how this amateur investigator had contacted and sent pictures to the police of the slab and was pretty sure that the police had never followed up. She seemed very frustrated. I thought " hey if that were me, if I had found the same thing, and could not get attention paid to it ...I think I would call the county building inspector and try to find out if the slab was part of any authorized construction. If it were not then I would resubmit my findings to the police with that information and see if that would generate follow up." If the person who made the post sees this I very much hope that this gentle suggestion helps and I admire you very much for freely donating your time. I hope that Susan is found soon and pray for her friends and family.

Welcome mujababy, there is a thread here about the discovery you are talking about. It eventually turned up nothing.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98242"]Susan Powell: Odd discovery in West Utah Desert - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

There have been no further media reports, that I'm aware of, about the discovery of a body in the Wendover potash plant. This strikes me as being a little odd...

I realise that identification may take a long time as a result of the condition of the body but they may have been able to confirm the gender by now, surely? It just seems odd that there hasn't been one follow up report on that since. Under LE's orders, perhaps? Or am I being the world's biggest cynic?

The only news reports I could find, from about 4 days ago, said they thought it might take a week to ID the body. It also said they thought the body had been there several years.

The method of disposal certainly seems untidy for a person like Josh - given his personality.

There have been no further media reports, that I'm aware of, about the discovery of a body in the Wendover potash plant. This strikes me as being a little odd...

I realise that identification may take a long time as a result of the condition of the body but they may have been able to confirm the gender by now, surely? It just seems odd that there hasn't been one follow up report on that since. Under LE's orders, perhaps? Or am I being the world's biggest cynic?

Wasn't it reported to be the remains of a male? :waitasec:

Wasn't it reported to be the remains of a male? :waitasec:

That was a different discovery - which occurred on Sunday 20th June - Father's Day. This man has been positively identified as Douglas Nelson who went missing in August 2009.

The discovery I am referring to is of the body at the Wendover Potash Plant in Tooele County, discovered on Tuesday 15 June:

"WENDOVER -- A body was found Tuesday at a potash plant near Wendover in Tooele County. Investigators say the person likely died as a result of foul play.

Around noon, a worker at the Intrepid Potash plant spotted the skeletal remains near a canal on the property.

Right now, investigators believe the body has been there, exposed to the elements, anywhere between two and five years.

The company told investigators they haven't done work in that area for quite some time.

"It was by a canal, but it was not in the water. It was just laying face-down, and it had been there ... uncovered, not buried, for quite a while," said Tooele County Sheriff Frank Park.

Investigators say due to the condition of the body, they are not able to make an ID right now or determine an age. They are not sure about gender just yet but say clothing remnants lead them to believe it may be the body of a woman."
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11186788

I am questioning the assumption of 2 - 5 years based on decomp state, as both potash and salt could speed up decomposition, if I am not mistaken. Also, if this body was dumped in a retention pond, is there any chance that it could have been dislodged into the spot where it was discovered?

As always, there is huge speculation when a body is found. I'm just hoping they may soon have something positive to identify this person by.

I still think Susan is in a mine shaft... however...my brain is on overdrive tonight so here is a novel. :innocent:

Assuming for a moment that the "woods" comment is accurate I am guessing that would mean evergreens to a child that age...especially in the winter. If the apparent "slip up" when Josh says "we went south, well actually we just went to the Pony Express..." is also true... here are a few of the "south" areas that are possible for those of you not in Utah within a 4-5 hour round trip time frame, descending further south as I go. (If anyone wants pictures of any of these places... or any others, let me know. Also, if anyone knows any places that Josh was specifically familiar with, let me know.)

Utah County - American Fork Canyon has a lot of evergreens. Right there, right off the road. The river is also right off the road. It also would have been pretty safe to drive, they are generally quite good about plowing it.

Utah County - Provo Canyon also has some evergreens but they would be much more difficult to access I think. Provo Canyon leads to Heber. Which ultimately can connect you to Parley's. So Provo Canyon is an alternate to Parley's Canyon and much better in the winter IMO. I have driven up both, at Christmas in a minivan.

Utah County - Spanish Fork Canyon is Highway 6... Diamond Fork has some evergreens. Fairview has lots of evergreens. There is a few other places up there too. I don't know if that'd be plowed as well and you'd have to know the area I would think.

Utah County - Payson Canyon also has some evergreens but just off the canyon road. Any others would be on roads that there is no way he could have driven.

In Parley's canyon you also have Lamb's Canyon not too far in, which comes to mind immediately. My cousin's body was dumped there. There is evergreens, doubt it's plowed well.

I cannot think of a place to hide anything in any of these canyons really. (Then again, I would pick any of the above before Ogden Canyon and Ethan Stacy was there...) You are taking a risk that the water is frozen... you can't dig because the ground is frozen... the rivers are really not that deep...

I really think the mine shaft was too good of an idea for him to let it go to waste.

The majority of the other canyons have very few if any "woods", or would have been impossible to drive that night. I do not believe Josh had chains. I do not know think I have ever known a single person who had them. I've lived here my whole life. :) I imagine you only would if you needed a 4x4 and couldn't afford one.

I don't see a single solitary thing in the Deseret News, is there another site that would have more details? This is the most frustrating case I can think of in a long time. :banghead:

Abc4.com is usually the place that has news on Susan. They do interviews with her family when the other stations/papers don't even have a story about her. That's the first place I would look.

I do not believe this body at the potash plant is Susan... I am thinking Lark Montague or someone else. However... it didn't have to be dumped where it was found. I do not know about this area specifically, but most of Utah has been flooding. With it being found near a canal, if that canal flooded (almost all of them have been completely full) the body could have washed out. The same thing goes for a retention pond, if it overflowed. They have all been full. Irrigation facilities have all been full. Reservoirs are full, spillways look like huge waterfalls... rivers are raging.

We were in one of the areas last weekend, that had 1-4 feet of water back on June 6-9 or so. There was bones all over the place. It was creepy. They were deer bones, but there was a few I looked closely at to be sure. I would not be at all surprised if a few bodies washed up after that flooding. If they were in the rivers or in shallow graves.

There are caves all over each of those canyons, as well as just in the Provo foothills. The foothills don't have evergreens, though. I think she's either in a mine he knew about or in a river, for the reason you mentioned - frozen ground.
So a question would be, where are there mines in a heavily wooded area, within driving distance, that he would know about?

We mentioned that there are so many mines in an area of Idaho-Washington where Josh would have visited grandparents when he was a kid. That area seems like a good possibility. But it is a longer drive.

My bet is on somewhere close like American Fork canyon. In that weather, an hour's drive there, time to stash the body, an hour back. Good roads. It is also a canyon I bet the family was familiar with. Going up American Fork canyon is a very popular Saturday activity for everyone who lives in that area; it's close enough that in the summer, people can go up just to cook out and have dinner. Also, Timp Cave is a famous cave there, which would have been the kind of place they might have taken the boys. But there are other less famous caves in the area. I wouldn't be surprised if there had been some exploration of the area when Josh was supposedly working as a real estate agent, and driving all over the area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back