UT - Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I’m happy for the Coxes too. It’s a good deterrent for DCFS/CPS to avoid repeating their mistakes with another family. At the very least these agencies need to eliminate the goal of reunification above all else. They have to recognize that there are situations where the children are better off never seeing the problem parent(s) outside of a secure supervised location. Sometimes even that isn’t safe. Josh was determined that the Coxes would never get his boys and this agency handed them over to be murdered.

I’m happy for the Coxes too. It’s a good deterrent for DCFS/CPS to avoid repeating their mistakes with another family. At the very least these agencies need to eliminate the goal of reunification above all else. They have to recognize that there are situations where the children are better off never seeing the problem parent(s) outside of a secure supervised location. Sometimes even that isn’t safe. Josh was determined that the Coxes would never get his boys and this agency handed them over to be murdered.
I think that is the elephant in the room..."a secure supervised location." When it comes to a deranged parent there is no such thing as a secured supervised location. In the past 30 years many children have also been abducted in supervised locations. I think the child custody laws need to be completely overhauled to reflect the world we now live in. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act was initially crafted in 1968...imo, our society has dramatically changed since then and children are without adequate protection now, especially when they are forced to remain in custody or visit with a parent who is unstable and/or violent, or who is under investigation for possibly committing a domestic related crime.

I am 15 minutes away from where Susan and Josh lived together. Is there any place nearby anyone thinks she could be that hasn't been checked? I would drag my bf along to search.

I think I'd contact the Cold podcast author.

I doubt if Josh was too far off the beaten track. He and Susan got a flat tire on one of their forays into the wild and Josh needed a passer-by to help him change a tire. Breaking down near the body location could have sunk him.

I agree with Cold that Josh planned it. But would he really have killed her with an impact driver? Dunno, but he did seem to have gotten blood on the back of the couch so maybe he wasn't that smart.

The police wiretap caught Josh, Michael, Alina and Steve discussing various issues. Josh (I believe it was) offered his sister hydrocodone in a syringe for a headache. It has been floated that Josh may have sedated Susan via food on the night of her disappearance. Liquefied hydrocodone seems like an easy way to do that. Smothering her with a pillow while she was unconscious might be the way he ended her life. If he broke her nose while he was doing that, it could account for the small coughed-up blood drops on the floor and also the blood swipe on the back of the love seat. Maybe she woke up and struggled some.

He apparently melted something metal in his garage around that time, though. Like his many many many trips to the dumpsters around town, it's hard to account for everything....

The wiretap summaries show Josh and the Powell clan directing their anger at Chuck Cox, Jennifer Graves, and the Mormon church. If someone had run away and made me a world-famous murder suspect, I know who I'd be mad at. They do say derogatory things about Susan, but nothing about finding her alive to get out from under suspicion. She didn't take her wallet so presumably she had no ID--or money. Josh had her cell phone (with its sim card removed) in the minivan. (No innocent explanation for that, btw.) How far could she have gotten?

Susan has been missing 12 years now.

I saved almost every bit of anything MSM and some not.
The 6 sections are in alphabetical order.

10 Years and Beyond:
Photobucket

All Legal Matters:
Photobucket

Evidence:
Photobucket

Murder/Suicide:
Photobucket

Searching for Susan:
Photobucket

Steve Powell- Crime, Punishment, WebRants, Susan:
Photobucket

It's interesting, having moved to Utah, I'm learning so many new things and taking deep dives into cases here. I've been reading about Susan's case since I was 14, and I pray for her, her sons, and her parents on a daily basis. I will email Dave Cawley and ask if he knows of any urban places, or places NOT too deep in the mountains, that he thinks deserve a recheck. Can't really dig deep in the mountains because I have a severe chronic illness (annoying) and also do not know the lay of the land yet.

Video by Dave Cawley of the Cold Podcast. He is also the Executive Producer of Digital Content of KSL, a news station here in Utah
A new experiment from KSL's COLD podcast team points to a particular power tool as a possible murder weapon in the December 6, 2009 death of Susan Powell. COLD host Dave Cawley breaks down the evidence suggesting Josh Powell might have destroyed a Ridgid impact driver with an oxyacetylene torch the night after his wife disappeared.
Josh had bought this Rigid impact driver soon before Susan went missing, and we know he burned something metal in his garage around that time as well.

The Cox lawsuit against the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services and the enormous payout they won seems to have set a precedent... but I wonder if it will result in any significant changes for children caught in a dangerous bureaucratic web of custody battles when one of their caregivers is missing and the other caregiver is suspected of foul play?....will it result in any changes in The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act? In cases where a primary caregiver of a child/children goes missing under suspicious circumstances, and the other parent is being investigated for their disappearance and possible murder--shouldn't there be a universal State mandated law that automatically removes any child living in this situation? IMO, the only way Josh Powell would not have eventually killed his children would have been if he had been locked in jail or unable to locate his children. It seems to me that children deserve immediate protection against a potentially violent parent or caregiver--the idea of supervised visits for a parent who might have killed their spouse seems ludicrous and grossly negligent to vulnerable children caught in this family dynamic.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/ojjdp/189181.pdf
https://turtletalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/aaby-understanding-the-uccjea.pdf

Several good posts about this -- not sure the needed changes to protect the children are in place, since we have a thread about little Oakley:

WA - WA - Oakley Carlson, 5, missing during welfare check, Oakville, 10 Feb 2021

jmho ymmv lrr

Unknown clothes, bones found in search for Susan Powell in West Desert mine

The team, led by Utah native Dave Sparks, has spent the past eight days at the site, pulling up debris from a mine where they believe Susan Powell’s remains could be.

“I sent some pictures of the bones to Chuck Cox," Sparks said, referring to Susan's father. "He took them to a bone expert they know — actually, two. The first expert, based off information, said that it was animal bones; the second expert said that they are human bones. So we don’t know."

Unknown clothes, bones found in search for Susan Powell in West Desert mine

The team, led by Utah native Dave Sparks, has spent the past eight days at the site, pulling up debris from a mine where they believe Susan Powell’s remains could be.

“I sent some pictures of the bones to Chuck Cox," Sparks said, referring to Susan's father. "He took them to a bone expert they know — actually, two. The first expert, based off information, said that it was animal bones; the second expert said that they are human bones. So we don’t know."
Bless these searchers!

I would love to see the Cox’s have Susan’s remains returned to them before they’re both gone from this earth. They’ve been through so much and that might give them a little peace, knowing she can be decently buried with her sons.

Bless these searchers!

I would love to see the Cox’s have Susan’s remains returned to them before they’re both gone from this earth. They’ve been through so much and that might give them a little peace, knowing she can be decently buried with her sons.

There are those that are blasting these searchers for bringing hope where there is none. I disagree. I am so glad they are trying! I am so glad they are bringing attention back to her case. She deserves to be found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back