UTI rates are increasing, possible connection with e.coli and antibiotics in meat

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

IceIce9

Verified EMT
Reaction score

I found this article on the National Geographic site, but it is behind a paywall. It’s free to read on Women’s Health.​

Rates of urinary tract infections are increasing, could it be caused by e.coli and antibiotics in meat?​

It’s hard to say for sure. However, there are likely a few factors at play. A 2023 studythat got a lot of buzz estimated that E.coli-contaminated meat leads to nearly half a million UTIs in the U.S. each year, making it one of the most common causes of UTIs. Research has also found that 30 to 70 percent of meat products that are sold in retail stores are contaminated with E.coli.

Furthermore, many farm animals in the United States receive antibiotics to protect them from diseases, which can create antibiotic resistance in humans. This could be why more people are developing resistance to the antibiotics used to treat UTIs, a new report by National Geographic says.

Reactions: nao
I’ve known 2 people who are allergic to beef. It always makes me wonder if it’s really the animal antibiotics or the actual beef.

well I get UTI's and don't eat meat or any animal products - it was much worse when I was going through chemo and I always worry that I'm going to run out of antibiotics that are effective but any resistance is not from animal products in my case

I’ve known 2 people who are allergic to beef. It always makes me wonder if it’s really the animal antibiotics or the actual beef.
I used to work with a pediatrician, we had quite a few very young girls who had begun having periods. Their mothers were always freaked out because they were so young.

The interesting thing was that the pediatrician suspected a link with hormones in milk. She always asked the parents of these young girls how much milk they drank, and in each case they were very heavy milk drinkers. Like 6-8 glasses a day.

Cows were given hormones to make them produce milk earlier and at greater quantities than was natural.

The pediatrician said she wished she had the time to do research and write about this.
JMO

I used to work with a pediatrician, we had quite a few very young girls who had begun having periods. Their mothers were always freaked out because they were so young.

The interesting thing was that the pediatrician suspected a link with hormones in milk. She always asked the parents of these young girls how much milk they drank, and in each case they were very heavy milk drinkers. Like 6-8 glasses a day.

Cows were given hormones to make them produce milk earlier and at greater quantities than was natural.

The pediatrician said she wished she had the time to do research and write about this.
JMO

how young?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe