VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In our school district, students with behavioral problems are not placed in a general classroom. They spend their school days in special education classrooms with special education teachers.

JMO
So as long as they have the label, they have no chance of being with typical peers? Kids need to be around typical peer models to improve and grow in their skills. IEPs are meant to be just that--individualized plans for each child. Some kids can handle more than others and some need more support than others. Some might not be able to handle time out in the gen ed class at all.

So as long as they have the label, they have no chance of being with typical peers? Kids need to be around typical peer models to improve and grow in their skills. IEPs are meant to be just that--individualized plans for each child. Some kids can handle more than others and some need more support than others. Some might not be able to handle time out in the gen ed class at all.
An IEP or 504 plan would mandate integration into the regular classroom as much as possible. Simple behavior problems would not qualify for an IEP, so there would have to be a diagnosis of certain things first. There is more gray area with a 504 plan. But I am not clear what this school was doing.

Newport News Public Schools announced new leadership at Richneck Elementary School, according to officials.

Jacky Barber will serve as Richneck’s principal effective July 1. She’s been principal at Sedgefield Elementary School since July 2020. Prior to that, she was the principal and assistant principal at Riverside Elementary School. She’s also worked as an elementary school teacher and reading and math interventionist, according to NNPS.

Rhonda Chambers-Harmon will serve as Richneck’s assistant principal effective July 1. She’s been assistant principal at Stoney Run Elementary School since August 2019. She’s been with NNPS since 2007 and worked as a teacher at Greenwood Elementary, Newsome Park Elementary, and Palmer Elementary, according to NNPS

I was looking at some of the reports on Newport News schools. Achievement wise, its pretty grim.

An IEP or 504 plan would mandate integration into the regular classroom as much as possible. Simple behavior problems would not qualify for an IEP, so there would have to be a diagnosis of certain things first. There is more gray area with a 504 plan. But I am not clear what this school was doing.
Even without an IEP or 504, the wise choice would be to allocate the child to the inclusion classroom with two teachers present rather than a regular classroom with only one teacher. There was an incident in my child's classroom in second grade where one kid suddenly started hitting other kids with a ruler and throwing chairs. The classroom was evacuated and the next day the kid had to move to a classroom with two teachers present. This was a regular kid who had a severely handicapped sibling at home and I think he must have had a phase where it was just too much. But he was immediately put into a setting with more supervision. I had always assumed that was standard practice...

The mother of a 6-year-old boy who shot his teacher in Virginia is expected to plead guilty in federal court Monday to using marijuana while possessing a firearm, which is illegal under U.S. law.

Deja Taylor is accused of lying about her marijuana use on a form when she bought the gun, which her son later used to shoot Abby Zwerner in her classroom. The first-grade teacher was seriously wounded and has endured multiple surgeries...

Wonder if she has a plea deal in this charge?

The federal case against Taylor, who is Black, carries up to 25 years, although sentencing guidelines call for 18 months to 24 months in prison, her lawyers said. She faces up to six years in prison if she is convicted on the state charges.

Wonder if she has a plea deal in this charge?

The federal case against Taylor, who is Black, carries up to 25 years, although sentencing guidelines call for 18 months to 24 months in prison, her lawyers said. She faces up to six years in prison if she is convicted on the state charges.

Interesting that we’re getting more of the real story now, after her lawyer initially denied any responsibility on the parent’s part and he even emphasized the gun was obtained legally. IMO.

Sounds like a plea deal to me, but I’m not a lawyer!

Last edited:
She has a plea deal....1:30 pm today

Eastern Federal Docket Judge Douglas Miller

06/12/23​
9:30 am​
Newport News​
4:22 cv 94​
Premier Rental-Purchase, Inc. vs Forker​
Settlement Conference​
All​
Newport News Judges Chambers​
06/12/23​
1:30 pm​
Newport News​
4:23 cr 45​
USA vs Taylor​
Plea Agreement Hearing​
Deja Taylor​
Newport News Court Room 2​
06/12/23​
Newport News​
USA vs Taylor​
Initial Appearance​
Deja Taylor​

Very impressive attorney, looks expensive from experience and cases he has defended.

In 2017, Gene ran for lieutenant governor of Virginia. A longtime youth basketball coach, Gene was a Connecticut all-state basketball player (1,300 career points, including 41 points in one high school game).

A brief sample of the scope of Gene’s representation of defendants, targets, and witnesses in high-profile criminal and civil matters includes:Robert Mueller’s Paul Manafort trial; the Southern District of New York's Stormy Daniels election fraud investigation involving Michael Cohen and the president; the January 6, 2021, U.S. Capitol investigation by the DOJ; federal RICO, organized crime, drug trafficking, bank and wire fraud, and national security cases in the Eastern District of Virginia, the Western District of Virginia, the Southern District of New York, New Jersey, the District of Columbia, and elsewhere; various state cases involving a multitude of felony crimes; and obtaining a favorable state jury verdict in defending against wrongful termination and shareholder claims.

She has a plea deal....1:30 pm today

Eastern Federal Docket Judge Douglas Miller

06/12/23​
9:30 am​
Newport News​
4:22 cv 94​
Premier Rental-Purchase, Inc. vs Forker​
Settlement Conference​
All​
Newport News Judges Chambers​
06/12/23​
Newport News​
USA vs Taylor​
Plea Agreement Hearing​
Deja Taylor​
06/12/23​
Newport News​
USA vs Taylor​
Initial Appearance​
Deja Taylor​

Thanks for researching and posting this!

I am not sure that I understand the document, but what I get out of it, is that Ms Deja Taylor will give up the gun? Is that the plea deal?
The same gun that she allegedly negligently left unsecured in the same home as her 6 year old troubled and behaviorally challenged son? Did I read that right?
I think it states, ...if convicted...
This is the arrest document. I think this is standard procedure, verbiage. The feds keep the guns and destroy them. Moo...

I wonder if the plea deal will be announced? I did not see this covered in the am NN news. It was covered in Richmond and other areas.

Deja Taylor, the mother of the 6-year-old student accused of shooting teacher Abby Zwerner at Richneck Elementary School in January, has plead guilty to federal gun and drug charges in court Monday…

On January 19, federal agents executeda court-ordered search of Taylor’s home, during which agents discovered narcotics packaging, narcotics paraphernalia, marijuana, marijuana edible packaging, a box of ammunition, and a black firearm barrel lock, court documents explain.

Agents also searched the home of Taylor’s mother, where Taylor was residing at the time, and found about 24.5 grams of marijuana, marijuana edible packaging, and marijuana paraphernalia. A search of Taylor’s phone revealed numerous text messages illustrating the pervasive scope of Taylor’s marijuana use. A lockbox was not found in either of the residences, nor was a trigger lock or key to a trigger lock ever found, court records showed.

Several marijuana edibles that looked like rice treats were found inside the vehicle directly next to the child, police records claim. A backpack belonging to another person in the vehicle was found to contain numerous individually packaged marijuana rice treats, gummies containing THC, suspected crack cocaine, two large bags of marijuana, two packages of “BackpackBoyz” marijuana from California, suspected oxycodone pills, green plant material, a smoking device, and more edibles.

Digital scales were also found inside the vehicle. Taylor’s purse was searched, and marijuana edibles and three unknown white pills were found. During that traffic stop, Taylor was advised of her Mirandarights, and she denied all knowledge of drugs inside the vehicle, according to police reports detailed in court

The investigation also uncovered a police report from the Williamsburg Police Department which claims that on Saturday April 3, 2021, Taylor was pulled over during a traffic stop in a vehicle with two other persons, including her child, who was 4 years old at the time. The Williamsburg Police officer conducting the stop say that they detected an overwhelming smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle and marijuana was in plain view inside the vehicle.

Taylor pleaded guilty to being an unlawful user of controlled substance in possession of a firearm and making a false statement during purchase of a firearm and is scheduled to be sentenced on October 18.

http://wtkr3.co/3p7ko7T

Last edited:
Deja Taylor, the mother of the 6-year-old student accused of shooting teacher Abby Zwerner at Richneck Elementary School in January, has plead guilty to federal gun and drug charges in court Monday…

On January 19, federal agents executeda court-ordered search of Taylor’s home, during which agents discovered narcotics packaging, narcotics paraphernalia, marijuana, marijuana edible packaging, a box of ammunition, and a black firearm barrel lock, court documents explain.

Agents also searched the home of Taylor’s mother, where Taylor was residing at the time, and found about 24.5 grams of marijuana, marijuana edible packaging, and marijuana paraphernalia. A search of Taylor’s phone revealed numerous text messages illustrating the pervasive scope of Taylor’s marijuana use. A lockbox was not found in either of the residences, nor was a trigger lock or key to a trigger lock ever found, court records showed.

Several marijuana edibles that looked like rice treats were found inside the vehicle directly next to the child, police records claim. A backpack belonging to another person in the vehicle was found to contain numerous individually packaged marijuana rice treats, gummies containing THC, suspected crack cocaine, two large bags of marijuana, two packages of “BackpackBoyz” marijuana from California, suspected oxycodone pills, green plant material, a smoking device, and more edibles.

Digital scales were also found inside the vehicle. Taylor’s purse was searched, and marijuana edibles and three unknown white pills were found. During that traffic stop, Taylor was advised of her Mirandarights, and she denied all knowledge of drugs inside the vehicle, according to police reports detailed in court

The investigation also uncovered a police report from the Williamsburg Police Department which claims that on Saturday April 3, 2021, Taylor was pulled over during a traffic stop in a vehicle with two other persons, including her child, who was 4 years old at the time. The Williamsburg Police officer conducting the stop say that they detected an overwhelming smell of marijuana coming from the vehicle and marijuana was in plain view inside the vehicle.

Taylor pleaded guilty to being an unlawful user of controlled substance in possession of a firearm and making a false statement during purchase of a firearm and is scheduled to be sentenced on October 18.

http://wtkr3.co/3p7ko7T
WOW !!! The ATF completed a very comprehensive investigation.

I'm betting, the NN DA had this information and more when he charged her.

My question... all the drugs found in both homes and NO charges. I'm betting we only have the tip of the iceberg.

What happen to the case in Williamsburg? A child in the car and all those drugs. Did they just look the other way?

Everyone failed this child !!!

All my humble opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members