VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve not heard of a child that young being put on meds for ADHD, nor have I heard the term acute disability used to describe ADHD.
What comes to my mind is traumatic brain injury.
Anyone know for certain?

JMO
ADHD is still ambiguous at best and not nearly fully researched..and worst not even taken seriously by society ..
I think it could be very severe if it comes with other conditions ..but one thing is def.. not one case is like the other..
I also see too much stress on diffculity in learning and not on impulsiveness/difficulity in keeping control .

Taylor describes her son as a "great kid," but "very energetic" due to his condition.

This is not what his teacher, A. Zwerner said !!
He does not sound like a "great kid" by any stretch of the imagination.

In interviews and in her lawsuit, Zwerner characterized the boy as violent and said he "slammed the cellphone on the ground so hard that it cracked and shattered." In the lawsuit, she also claimed the child had a "history of random violence" and that he "attacked students and teachers alike."
Red bolding mine.

This child was terrorizing the entire school except the principal and admin.
It was said in earlier posts that he'd sometimes emerge from the principal's office with a piece of candy.
Basically the supervisors/admin. were rewarding his noxious behavior.

And STOP blaming this on ADHD.
There are children with that diagnosis who are very active but not violent in the manner of this six year old boy.

What is he going to be like when he's in his teens ?
If he doesn't have intensive therapy and treatment he could wind up in prison for god knows what.
The article says he's being treated, but I'm wondering what it is, and if it's effective ?

"He threw his arms up. He said, 'Fine.' And when he threw his arms up, he knocked her phone out of her hand on accident," Taylor said.
According to DT, this was a simple accident, of a phone being knocked out of her hand ?
Riiiight.
Somehow I doubt this !

According to Taylor, the boy "actually really liked" Zwerner and said during the week of the shooting "he felt like he was being ignored."
Sooo.... it was Zwerner's fault ?
Is this what the mother, DT is saying ?
Astounding.

M00.

'I don't think she was listening to me, I didn't like that': Mother of six-year-old boy who shot his teacher reveals what he said to her DAYS before

Even more victim blaming. ^^^

The mother, DT, says she is "taking responsibility" according to the article, but with every statement she is excusing her violent child and placing blame on his teacher.
Who is she going to blame next, the other students ?
Unreal.
Imo.

Eta : From the article I'd linked : A very interesting comment from a "N" from Mt. Rainier, MD -- in the comments below.

Last edited:
"I am, as a parent, obviously willing to take responsibility for him because he can't take responsibility" for himself, she said in an exclusive interview with ABC News.

[SNIP: personal interjection: there are several more paragraphs that seem to deflect responsibility MOO]

According to the boy's family, the school informed Taylor she and other family members were no longer required to be present in the classroom, a request they made in the fall due to the boy's behavior challenges.
Mother of 6-year-old who shot Virginia teacher says son has ADHD

and I don't know that I believe the only issue here is ADHD. The child may have it (I have my own concerns about what I feel is the gross overdiagnosis of this disorder) but this sounds more like ODD and some other issues to me.

as to the BBM portion: if true this looks even worse for the school IMO

Last edited:
OHHHH the excuses, the excuses. This mom is just making things worse IMO.

I've dropped my phone many times on all kinds of surfaces and it's never broken (knock on wood, lol). A phone has to be thrown/dropped with a LOT of force to break. That was no accident IMO but I believe the little boy told his mom it was and she is believing him. He shot his teacher. Is it really so hard to believe that he would break her phone?

And, Mom admits that no one ever expected this child to wait for a turn!

Likely, he never heard the word NO until he reached school....

Thanks, @Erutan , I agree with "N," we do have firearms & most Taurus 9MM pistols have a relatively large frame. Not a good fit for 6 year old hands. Or pockets, Ms. Vice Prinicpal.

jmho ymmv lrr

I am guessing that he was probably moved to first grade because he perpetrated on kids in Pre-K and Kindergarten. They probably stuck him in first grade, hoping that older kids could more easily protect themselves.
Yes. He definitely sounds like a child who would be a danger to smaller or vulnerable children.

Perhaps the whole interview isn't contained in these articles. Did mom opine on the choking of the kindergarten teacher, the barricading of other kids in a room or the sexual assault of the little girl? I'm sure there are "reasons".

She is not only making excuses for a cell phone break, but is also making excuses for him shooting someone. I'm just trying to let that sink in. Smh.

I guess one doesn't have to wonder how (besides disabilities) that this culminated in such a way. "Not my child" and "It wasn't his fault" are pavers for bad behavior in children. Imhoo

Yes. He definitely sounds like a child who would be a danger to smaller or vulnerable children.

Perhaps the whole interview isn't contained in these articles. Did mom opine on the choking of the kindergarten teacher, the barricading of other kids in a room or the sexual assault of the little girl? I'm sure there are "reasons".

She is not only making excuses for a cell phone break, but is also making excuses for him shooting someone. I'm just trying to let that sink in. Smh.

I guess one doesn't have to wonder how (besides disabilities) that this culminated in such a way. "Not my child" and "It wasn't his fault" are pavers for bad behavior in children. Imhoo
From what I saw, she only commented on the shooting and the phone incidents. When the reporter brought up previous behaviors, the lawyer stepped in to speak. I'm assuming he told her not to speak on any of the previous incidents.

Edited to add: That is just my opinion and I haven't watched the whole interview yet.

'I don't think she was listening to me, I didn't like that': Mother of six-year-old boy who shot his teacher reveals what he said to her DAYS before

The mother, DT, says she is "taking responsibility" according to the article, but with every statement she is excusing her violent child and placing blame on his teacher.
Unreal.
Imo.

Eta : From the article I'd linked : A very interesting comment from a "N" from Mt. Rainier, MD -- in the comments below.
The mother is blaming the teacher! I find it hard to believe her attorney thought this interview was a good idea. The prosecutor will be able to use it against her in court, imo.

And, Mom admits that no one ever expected this child to wait for a turn!

Likely, he never heard the word NO until he reached school....

Thanks, @Erutan , I agree with "N," we do have firearms & most Taurus 9MM pistols have a relatively large frame. Not a good fit for 6 year old hands. Or pockets, Ms. Vice Prinicpal.

jmho ymmv lrr
Bbm.
ITA.
*Ahem*
Just where on a six year old's body would a gun like that be concealed ?
Iirc, he wasn't even lightly 'frisked' as his (paraphrased) 'pockets weren't large enough...'.
Even if it was tucked into his waistband, and a jacket or shirt pulled over the weapon, it should have easily been visible !
Smh.
Imo.

Unreal.
Imo.

The teacher can't drop everything to listen to one child until it is time to ask questions and talk.

Did she teach her child he is more important than everyone else?

The mother didn't seem very empathetic to Abby's injuries. I would have been shaking and bawling but not everyone reacts the same.

Do you think the child was given a loaded gun on purpose?! It crossed my mind.

The mother is blaming the teacher! I find it hard to believe her attorney thought this interview was a good idea. The prosecutor will be able to use it against her in court, imo.

I didn't sense she was upset her child severely wounded the teacher, she seemed angry with the teacher.
Did she secretly have rage/anger issues with the teacher her child picked up on?
Why not discuss how the child found the gun?
This is not a great interview. This will not bode well for her at all.

Bbm.
ITA.
*Ahem*
Just where on a six year old's body would a gun like that be concealed ?
Iirc, he wasn't even lightly 'frisked' as his (paraphrased) 'pockets weren't large enough...'.
Even if it was tucked into his waistband, and a jacket or shirt pulled over the weapon, it should have easily been visible !
Smh.
Imo.
BBM I've wondered that same thing! There is no way his pockets would have been large enough. But if he was a chubby kid, it maybe wouldn't be that visible if he had a shirt pulled over it in his waistband.

jmo

I didn't sense she was upset her child severely wounded the teacher, she seemed angry with the teacher.
Did she secretly have rage/anger issues with the teacher her child picked up on?
Why not discuss how the child found the gun?
This is not a great interview. This will not bode well for her at all.
She likely blames the teacher for her arrest since she's blaming her for everything else. The mother belongs in prison.

She likely blames the teacher for her arrest since she's blaming her for everything else. The mother belongs in prison.

I even have sympathy for this single mother, but her interview is not helping her case at all. She almost seemed defiant and ordered to give out an apology than a heartfelt one.
Her son shot someone, it could be her dad or her next if he doesn't get his way. If the kid is this dangerous how is Grandpa going to control him safely? The new school prepared for him? What about his classmates and teacher?!
I wonder if this is ADHD and not something else at play here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl