Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a previously posted article, and bolded by me:

"A spokeswoman for the Newport News police said that authorities also determined through their ongoing investigation that "a school employee was notified of a possible firearm at Richneck Elementary before the shooting occurred. The Newport News Police Department was not notified of this information prior to the incident."

Is it possible that it wasn’t in his backpack? Maybe he had it in his waistband, etc. Idk. This whole situation is a mess.

Richneck Elementary School is under new leadership.

A district spokesperson tells 10 On Side that Karen Lynch, the NNPS Extended Learning supervisor and a former elementary school principal, is leading the Richneck team right now.
In addition, school board chair Lisa Surles-Law revealed Thursday that administrative changes would be taking place at the elementary school.

After three school shootings in three years, Newport News Public Schools is changing the way the district handles security.
Dr. Parker told parents he’s considering requiring clear plastic backpacks for Richneck students that would be purchased by the district.

Dr. Parker addressed the public saying the shooting at Richneck was 100% preventable and he would be re-evaluating his stance on fixed metal detection. After the shooting at Heritage High School in 2021, Dr. Parker told 10 On Your Side he did not support fixed metal detectors because he did not want school to feel like a prison for students when it should be a place of learning.

One parent says the worst part was that he had to find out about the shooting from the news.

"I wasn't alerted about what happened at the school. Half of the parents was not alerted about what happened at the school. We found out on the news," said Mark Antony Garcia. "Once we got to the scene at Hope Church, that's where the cops met us and they were trying to diffuse the situation. That's when we, all the crowd, and the cops were telling us there was the shooter that was a child, and the teacher was shot. That's how we found out."

Snipped...

On Sunday, at a rally that aimed to curb gun violence, News 3 reporter Kelsey Jones spoke to Lawonda Sample-Rusk, a grandparent of two children at the school. Rusk said she was at the school the day of the shooting and jumped into action when Zwerner was shot.

"She said I'm shot, I'm shot. Call 911," said Rusk said. "We only thought it was somewhere on her hand, but after looking further she passed out on the floor, and then after looking further it was another gunshot wound."

Rusk said she showed up a little early to pick up her grandchildren from school on Friday. Little did she know that she'd actually be there at the right time.

"Myself and the receptionist stayed pretty much mostly to her side because we know that the administrators had to do what they needed to do to make sure all of the children were safe," said Rusk.

Snipped:
My neighbor that lives down the street asked me if I knew what was going on. I work from home, so I immediately ran and that's when the police confirmed there was an active shooter, but the kids are okay," said the parent of a second-grader. "You see it on the news all the time when it happens in different areas, and you never think it's going to be you."

"When I got that text I just wanted to throw up, I just couldn't believe it," said Henry said. "When I pulled up there was a bunch of people gathered, trying to get their children. You know, a lot of people panicking, a lot of confusion, traffic backed up over there, nobody knew where to get the kids from, so we all had to walk all the way around. .....

This one lady pulled up she was really hysterical trying to get her kids. Two police officers had to drag her back. It just really sucks what happened," said Henry.

Snipped

On Tuesday, former Norfolk Police Chief and News 3 Law Enforcement Analyst Larry Boone told News 3 that even though we don't have all the details, by Virginia law, the child's mother could be held accountable for his actions.

“In the case of a child, knowing where the weapon’s located, knowing how to use the weapon, if that adult showed that child, how to do all those things, and how to locate the weapon? Absolutely. Yes, charges should be filed in that case,” Boone said.

Snipped

On Tuesday, former Norfolk Police Chief and News 3 Law Enforcement Analyst Larry Boone told News 3 that even though we don't have all the details, by Virginia law, the child's mother could be held accountable for his actions.

“In the case of a child, knowing where the weapon’s located, knowing how to use the weapon, if that adult showed that child, how to do all those things, and how to locate the weapon? Absolutely. Yes, charges should be filed in that case,” Boone said.

If the mother recklessly or irresponsibly handled the situation at home with the weapon then yes, 100% she should be charged. I think the fact that she hasn't been charged yet gives a great deal of credit to LE doing due diligence to make sure all the factors are being considered for either direction they go with this.

jmo

Do six year olds have lockers? Forgive an Australian for asking, they're not really a thing out here.
Generally not, their books are kept in the classroom. They have cubbies for coats, boots, lunches and backpacks.

I don't understand the resistance of this school district to metal detectors. They have been routine in many schools for decades. It is all very professional and fast. No one feels like it is scary. Because it has been normalized. Just another day at school.

Is it possible that it wasn’t in his backpack? Maybe he had it in his waistband, etc. Idk. This whole situation is a mess.
I cannot imagine a 6 years old hiding a handgun in his waistband (and Taurus is not much of a lightweight) without his pants getting pulled down under weight of said gun. IMO the person who was supposed to search this kid's backpack made some very VERY cursory peek into it.

If the mother recklessly or irresponsibly handled the situation at home with the weapon then yes, 100% she should be charged. I think the fact that she hasn't been charged yet gives a great deal of credit to LE doing due diligence to make sure all the factors are being considered for either direction they go with this.

jmo

I definitely agree that LE must investigate properly before bringing charges against anyone. However, I'm curious... do you think it's possible someone else in the home (other than the gun owner) acted recklessly or irresponsibly in handling the situation at home with the gun? 'Just respectfully curious about viewpoints on this ;)

I cannot imagine a 6 years old hiding a handgun in his waistband (and Taurus is not much of a lightweight) without his pants getting pulled down under weight of said gun. IMO the person who was supposed to search this kid's backpack made some very VERY cursory peek into it.

A 9 mm Taurus g2 weighs 22 ounces (623.6 gms) unloaded
It is 6.3 inches long

Possible to miss in a child's backpack I suppose
Also, very possible to stuff in a waistband, without pulling their pants down too. IMO

He now says Zwerner was teaching when the student pulled a handgun out, pointed it at the teacher, and fired at her. He said there was no physical struggle over the gun preceding the gunshot, and no indication (at this point) that they were having an argument.
The gun wasn't in his backpack, it was on the child's person, Drew said.
The bullet went through Zwerner's outstretched hand and lodged in her upper chest, he said.
Another staff member was nearby, and she went into the classroom to restrain the little boy until police and sheriff's deputies arrived.
The first 911 call about this shooting came in at 1:59 p.m., and officers were in the classroom at 2:04 p.m.
Medics reached Zwerner at 2:09 p.m.

Drew described Zwerner as a hero, who made sure all of her students got out of the room and into other classrooms before she went to get help for herself. He said she was the last one out of the classroom, and even turned back, when she was walking to administration, to make sure the children were secure.

I definitely agree that LE must investigate properly before bringing charges against anyone. However, I'm curious... do you think it's possible someone else in the home (other than the gun owner) acted recklessly or irresponsibly in handling the situation at home with the gun? 'Just respectfully curious about viewpoints on this ;)
LE have said almost nothing about the boy's situation (who he lives with, if any adults in the home are known to LE, that sort of thing) at home so it's hard to say what's going on there.
What I do think is possible, (although how probable I can't really say) is that this kid gained access to the weapon without his mother having any idea he was able to do that. Some kids are really sharp and have the ability to do things most adults will say "kids can't do that, at that age" and then they do.

Sometimes they're awful things, like taking a loaded gun to school and intentionally shooting your teacher. This kid had an awful plan, and he acted it out, that much is clear. For me, especially after learning that, it's not a stretch at all to believe he may have waited until mom was asleep or in the shower or otherwise occupied, and he accessed the gun from a (what the mom may have thought) secure location.

jmo

LE have said almost nothing about the boy's situation (who he lives with, if any adults in the home are known to LE, that sort of thing) at home so it's hard to say what's going on there.
What I do think is possible, (although how probable I can't really say) is that this kid gained access to the weapon without his mother having any idea he was able to do that. Some kids are really sharp and have the ability to do things most adults will say "kids can't do that, at that age" and then they do.

Sometimes they're awful things, like taking a loaded gun to school and intentionally shooting your teacher. This kid had an awful plan, and he acted it out, that much is clear. For me, especially after learning that, it's not a stretch at all to believe he may have waited until mom was asleep or in the shower or otherwise occupied, and he accessed the gun from a (what the mom may have thought) secure location.

jmo
The only "secure" place for a gun is in a locked gun safe, with the bullets stored in a separate locked gun safe. If the weapon is for security and protection, there are lock boxes for the gun. And really, 9 times out of 10, if someone breaks into a home, a gun probably wouldn't help.

jmo

'Gotcha ;)

I've been curious if there were older siblings in the home that "influenced" the 6 yr old. However, even without knowing more... I still hold the gun owner responsible. But, that's just me.

I have no idea about the weight of the gun so I absolutely believe your statement about it being too heavy. Another poster suggested that the gun was in the desk & I’m leaning towards this as the strongest possibility. While I don’t doubt that a person could have quickly looked into the backpack, my experience has been that 1st graders don’t carry enough in their backpack to have hidden the weapon. Though, I guess it could have been in a lunchbox in the bag. I don’t appreciate the lack of transparency in this case.

'Gotcha ;)

I've been curious if there were older siblings in the home that "influenced" the 6 yr old. However, even without knowing more... I still hold the gun owner responsible. But, that's just me.

Personally, I am wondering if the police investigators have ever had access to the home of the six year old since the shooting. Not one mention of that so far. The silence is deafening, IMO

Meanwhile, there have been ample reports of the mysterious "school administrative staff" rummaging through the boys backpack and not finding anything. Inquiring minds ( ME ) want to know if that staff member was the school secretary who took the phone call? ( Was it a phone call? ) Or was it the janitor?? The principal? Who/what role did that staff person have? And, was that the school's policy when a search was required?

Another unknown....
Did the 6 year old boy ( with a gun ) walk into school and go directly to his classroom? It was reported that he was dropped off to school "late" at 11:30. Did he stop at the 'office' first, to report in late? Was the bag searched before he entered his classroom? Or was he taken out of his classroom, and the unsuccessful search happened?

Still so many questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members