VA- 6-YEAR-OLD is in custody after shooting teacher

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, a six year old is too young to be held legally responsible for his actions, so he'll be in an institution of some kind for children with mental health issues and behvaiour issues that manifest in violent behaviour. He may be there some time for assessment, and he may be mandated to remain there for the foreseeable future.

Please correct if I'm wrong in any of this.

Agreed, from what I know this is his near future for certain.
It was only last May that so many children were shot and killed in Texas, I cannot imagine the fear these parents felt while this event was happening yesterday.
Prayers for the teacher, child, and families of children who attend, and community

CNN News 18 Live

Right? A disturbed 6 yo is more likely a result of nurture (or lack thereof) than nature (MOO only)
I disagree. My neighbor has a grandson who they think is schizophrenic but it is too early to diagnose him for that. He stabbed grandma in the hand already and has tried to take knives and push grandma down the stairs. The kid was diagnosed as being autistic fairly early on and they are doing everything they can to get him the help he needs.

Right? A disturbed 6 yo is more likely a result of nurture (or lack thereof) than nature (MOO only)

I couldn’t speculate on these odds, and not sure anyone could know, depends on the child.
Do we know the child is ‘disturbed’?
It appears not to have been an accident, but does that mean a six year old could understand that what they were doing could cause their teacher to die? I don’t know.

I do know that Lots of things cause a disturbed child-
- drugs taken while in utero
- drugs or alcohol taken after birth
- brain damage
- chemical imbalance
- abuse of any and all varieties
- reactive attachment disorder and adopted/ fostered children- The Colorado Sun

And if a child has all of these issue and parents who have the means, willingness, and ability to provide needed support- issues can be addressed.

What happens to children who kill? I haven’t a clue what odds they have to being rehabilitated and moving forward to have normal lives.

I do know of one case of a little girl with Attachment Disorder who was violent- Beth Thomas, she wrote a book about her experiences. IIRC she tried to kill her little brother with a pair of scissors. There is a movie about her Child of Rage.

It is a combination of both, what you are born with and what you are born into.

JMO

I see teens & college students' brain development mentioned a lot as mitigation for various crimes. I find that somewhat reasonable but still want there to be consequences for criminal behaviors.

A 6 year old has no capacity for intent IMO. Show me some research that says otherwise & I will reassess that opinion.

The child acquired a weapon. How did that happen?

My 2 cents only
While it’s very concerning about the child accessing the gun, I find it more concerning that this young child was taught how to use a gun. Someone taught this child to aim and fire. A young child. Practically a baby. This is so devastating. Moo

This is like Ethan Crumbley shooting, the parents will be found and be arrested.

Back in the 80s a 6-year-old shot a fellow classmate, 6-year-old Kayla Rolland.

The male shooter lived with his uncle in what was basically a crack house. The boy wasn't charged, being too young, but the uncle was charged for leaving the gun in a shoebox in the house. He pled No Contest to involuntary manslaughter and spent nearly 2.5 years in prison. (Not enough, IMO.)

While it’s very concerning about the child accessing the gun, I find it more concerning that this young child was taught how to use a gun. Someone taught this child to aim and fire. A young child. Practically a baby. This is so devastating. Moo
I really do not like guns, I have never fired one, but I don't think I would have any trouble firing one, just because I watch tv, and guns are everywhere on television. A six year old would have seen weapons fired dozens, if not hundreds of times on television. It's a handgun. If it's loaded, and the safety is not on, a child could easily fire it without instruction. In fact, I recall a case from a few years back when a literal baby did just that, a child under two - reached into their mother's handbag in the shopping trolley while they were at a checkout at a shop, pulled it out, and fired. Killed the mother. No intent, of course, but the actual mechanism isn't complicated. Point and squeeze.

I work with 4-5 year olds who have trauma/mental illnesses and this kind of thing is what makes me do back pack checks every morning. I get death threats pretty consistently through the day and I’ve only ever caught one weapon, a knife, but it’s so scary sometimes.
Wow I’m sorry 2 have this happen and bless you I hope u never find anything else

I hate that a 6-year-old is “in custody.” We can debate how old a child is when fully responsible for their own actions. But I wish the caregivers and gun owner were in custody and the child was in a safe place, where he cannot hurt himself or others, getting counseling. Sure hope that’s what they mean by “in custody.” Jmo

Agreed. ARREST the parents! NOW!

As much as I agree, where can this child be held? Immediately they have to be kept safe from others and others safe from them. What in the world is in store for a six year old who has committed attempted murder?

This is like Ethan Crumbley shooting, the parents will be found and be arrested.

How could they not be held responsible? The gun was available, the ammo was available, the gun was found and ammo put in gun, the gun was put into the bag of the student and taken to school Horrific!

JMO
I don't believe this place exists anymore...does it?
The last time a six-year shot and killed another six-year-old he was sent back to school, not detained, counseled, etc.
without therapy nothing. Just back to school.
The case I'm referring to is Kayla Rollings.

Such a horrific situation! The poor young teacher, who hopefully will recover physically from this...may never teach again. If that was me, I certainly wouldn't. <modsnip>

From statements I read in the few articles posted, it seems that this child thought (conflict solution)..( My term).. was to aim and shoot at an authoritative figure, a human being , to resolve an issue. It was a directed assassination attempt, IMO. He/she is 6 !!!!

Where does a 6 year old get that kind of instruction?
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s the thing….some of us forgot about this, from the Terms of Service we ALL agreed to when we joined….

Introducing social justice/injustice issues such as:
-race
-religion
-politics
-gun control
-capital punishment
….into a discussion is not allowed.”

While these are worthy topics, Websleuths is NOT the place to bring them up. We will never solve society’s ills by contesting them here, and it dishonors the victims when the conversation moves away from them and onto a generalized debate about a wider issue. This means DO NOT COMMENT ON THE THINGS THAT ARE ON THE LIST ABOVE.

Instead, please keep your focus on the specific crime and victims of each thread. Simple as that.

This is not a suggestion, nor is it a recommendation.
This is a
DEMANDMENT because Websleuths is serious about the intentionally strict Terms of Service we all agreed to when we joined.

Thread is reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member