Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought she was military - probably because she reminds me of a woman I know who was in the Army.

Well, she certainly was tidy and efficient in her exit, right down to the money she left to tend to her remains and the plastic sheet. That does seem consistent with a nurse or military background.

I've always thought she was one of the thousands of government workers who had a long and steady career but lived rather anonymously amidst the throngs of people in Annandale/Arlington's numerous apartments. I think she had her hair and nails done on a regular basis, lived alone, did not have family in the area, may have had a child who died, did not have close friends, retired from her job and did not keep in contact with former co-workers. Might have been a smoker (all guesses here), took public transportation throughout Arlington and Annandale, may have gone to watch an occasional movie at Skyline Plaza, was isolated, obviously despondent and perhaps no longer felt a purpose for her life. Her picture was in the newspapers and on the news. For years local papers would feature her story around Christmas time. And who is looking for her -- all of us, but apparently no one who who may have known her. SAD!!!!! How can we ever get to the bottom of this and why didn't they keep her DNA??

DNA testing for identification was only just coming into existence in the mid-1990's.

Just want to echo the possibility that it might be Shirley Sprang. Reasoning:
1. Even though there's no record of contact with LE, it made me think maybe the purpose of that contact was a "wellness check" or something similar
2. If it was a wellness check, if someone was so set on killing themselves, so methodical and planned, it's within the realm of possibility that she would deny any suicidal thoughts and they would move on
3. Someone mentioned Shirley Sprang had an awful driving record. UID was found with high blood alcohol level and had ingested Valium. I wonder if some of the poor driving was related to driving while intoxicated (total speculation on my part)

Just want to echo the possibility that it might be Shirley Sprang. Reasoning:
1. Even though there's no record of contact with LE, it made me think maybe the purpose of that contact was a "wellness check" or something similar
2. If it was a wellness check, if someone was so set on killing themselves, so methodical and planned, it's within the realm of possibility that she would deny any suicidal thoughts and they would move on
3. Someone mentioned Shirley Sprang had an awful driving record. UID was found with high blood alcohol level and had ingested Valium. I wonder if some of the poor driving was related to driving while intoxicated (total speculation on my part)

But the contact was a day after Annandale Doe was found.

I saw that. I guess being a newbie here I am just shocked at how many people are unidentified, and just as shocked at how many people are finally matched to an existing missing person after years and years because information in a database was originallyentered incorrectly.

I keep finding myself thinking, "Why on earth are so many people still unidentified?" I guess, in this case, I was thinking that a mix-up could be that reason.

I also had read earlier in this thread (I think? can't find it now) that someone had contacted LE and LE stated they have no record of that "last contact" with Shirley. That just reinforces my thoughts that the date of contact (if it did happen) was poorly or inaccurately documented.

I know it's probably unlikely. I would just hate for it to be right under our noses and this poor lady having gone without identification for so long. :( Thanks for your thoughts! I know I sometimes go a little TOO far outside the box because I am just so desperate for these individuals to get their name back.

I saw that. I guess being a newbie here I am just shocked at how many people are unidentified, and just as shocked at how many people are finally matched to an existing missing person after years and years because information in a database was originallyentered incorrectly.

I keep finding myself thinking, "Why on earth are so many people still unidentified?" I guess, in this case, I was thinking that a mix-up could be that reason.

I also had read earlier in this thread (I think? can't find it now) that someone had contacted LE and LE stated they have no record of that "last contact" with Shirley. That just reinforces my thoughts that the date of contact (if it did happen) was poorly or inaccurately documented.

I know it's probably unlikely. I would just hate for it to be right under our noses and this poor lady having gone without identification for so long. :( Thanks for your thoughts! I know I sometimes go a little TOO far outside the box because I am just so desperate for these individuals to get their name back.

Welcome! I think someone in this thread has been in touch with Shirley's Namus case manager to try to get her compared (I think). I didn't mean to be so dismissive--I'm not sure I think this is Shirley, but the date is awfully coincidental. The more ideas the better!

I've seen a couple cases where the noted contact days - or last seen days - had some discrepancies. I don't know if they are typos or just notation errors but it does happen.

Connie converse looks like such a possibility!!

There was a lady I used to know when I was a pretty young kid, who ate at the McDonald's near where I grew up. I used to go there with my mom pretty often and she was there every day, smoking in her same booth, always alone. I was maybe aged 3-6 years old, but I remember her pretty well. Does anyone know if this lady was a heavy smoker? The picture looks a bit younger than the lady I knew as "aunt bee", but other stuff seems pretty spot on. This was in central VA so not completely out of the realm of possibility. My Aunt Bee had salt and pepper hair, but she could have dyed it. I believe her real name was Beatrice, as we always talked about Beatricr Potter's stories and she gave me a little glass keepsake bowl with bunnies on it. She could also have just made that name up, as she also gave me a Susan B Anthony coin, because she was "aunt bee". ive always wondered what happened to her. (This was all in the early to mid 90s). I think I remember her mentioning a family but I never saw them. I think she was more like 70+, but I was so young then that I could have just thought she looked older. Maybe I'll search around for missing ladies named Beatrice, in relation to our doe.

Was thinking of this lady today. Praying this is the year she's identified.

Attachments

• marilyn waltz with annandale jd.png
    marilyn waltz with annandale jd.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 262
Hmm. Interesting suggestion. I think she's probably too young but the hair and scar are intriguing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member