Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem ~60, 245UFVA, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96 #2 - Joyce Meyer Sommers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did you see her yearbook pictures? She looks just like her post mortom pictures. The thing is, I'm not sure why she chose the DMV area. We may never know. Her second husband was an engineer for Lockheed Martin and they divorced in 1977 and he remarried in 1982. They could have traveled all over the country and even the world. This would explain why she ended up using looza juice which at that time was foreign owned from I beileve a Belgium owned company and brandy which isnt cheap. She wasn't a cheap lady and very meticulous. I personally think between the divorce, childhood tramaua, her scar which she could have been cancer or some other illness or lost a baby and never having children (that we know so far) she decided to end it. She had no one left. Because she was not buried and eventually cremated we may never know if her scar was from a terminal illness or a lost baby. According to the article she could have lived in DC or Northern VA but I dont know why. If she stayed in lowa she probably would have been a small town nobody but she went to Los Angeles and she taught there and saw children and whatever else a city brings even in the 50s. I think that changed her as well as her 2nd divorce

The Cold Case Squad spent years tracking down clues about the “Christmas Tree Lady.” In 2000, a colorized sketch of the woman was produced, but no one recognized her.

Advanced genetic technology

With all leads exhausted, the FPCD turned to Othram, a forensics lab in Houston, in January 2022 with the hopes the company could use advanced forensic genetic genealogy technology to identify a possible family member.

Othram worked with forensic genetic genealogist Carla Davis to execute the genealogical search and perform the research necessary to produce investigative leads. The costs associated with this casework were crowdfunded by DNASolves and a substantial contribution from an anonymous donor.

Through Othram’s testing, it was later determined the unknown woman was Joyce Marilyn Meyer Sommers, originally from Davenport, Iowa. She was the oldest of five siblings.

Detectives connected with a brother of Sommers, which led to additional family connections across the country. A DNA sample from a close relative confirmed a match, which was corroborated by conversations with long-lost siblings.

Sommers was 69 years old when she was found deceased. Family members believe she may have moved to the Virginia area sometime after the mid-1980s. She apparently didn’t have any children.

For whose who are interested. Joyce attended the University of Iowa in 1949. Her year book picture is in the book. She was an editor and interested in journalism. She must have been an excellent writer. This was before she married and moved to Los Angeles. Still doesn't answer why she ended up in the DMV.

Her first marriage was in Los Angeles and that marriage ended in divorce and then she married again to a man named James Sommers who was an engineer for Lockheed Martin and they relocated to Washington State. The 2nd marriage ended in 1977. She must have lived pretty well when she was with James. James remarried in 1982. She then moved to Tucson Arizona. She most likely went by Joyce Sommers not Joyce Meyer. I think she was very progessive and even ahead of her time on world events etc.

Last edited:
For whose who are interested. Joyce attended the University of Iowa in 1949. Her year book picture is in the book. She was an editor and interested in journalism. She must have been an excellent writer. This was before she married and moved to Los Angeles. Still doesn't answer why she ended up in the DMV.

I couldn't find Joyce's picture. What page can i find it on?
TIA

Thanks!
I found another photo of Joyce when she was 17. What a beautiful young lady she was!
Clipping from The Daily Times - Newspapers.com
Thanks!
I found another photo of Joyce when she was 17. What a beautiful young lady she was!
Cl

Thanks!
I think even though she was smart she was very structured and that may have led to her demise. I think she was very very lonely when she walked into that cementary that night in 1996. It took alot of strength and fortitude to just lay up against the mosaleum to die. She was found approx around 9 am.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!

I have followed this case for so many years and am so pleased to hear of this identification. I am still so interested in knowing what Joyce did for a living, given her tidy'ed up and exacting departure. I know we have speculated accountant, or any exacting profession. If anyone finds out, please let us all know!

To Othram....you are just wow...wow. Amazing, amazing.

Rest In Peace, dear Joyce. Forever our dear Christmas Tree Lady

Amateur opinion and speculation

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!

I have followed this case for so many years and am so pleased to hear of this identification. I am still so interested in knowing what Joyce did for a living, given her tidy'ed up and exacting departure. I know we have speculated accountant, or any exacting profession. If anyone finds out, please let us all know!

Thanks for the kind words. Our team was so excited to be able to help in cracking this case!

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!

She majored in journalism at Iowa State so perhaps a writer, editor etc. I think she was a very structured person.

Joyce in 1944.

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 12.45.54.png

"Miss Joyce Meyer, daughter of Mr and Mrs Arthur Meyer of Walcott, and Miss Ruth Mary Du-rand, daughter of Mr and Mrs Charles Durand of Davenport, were awarded first places in the short story and poetry contest sponsored by the Immaculate Conception academy.(...)
Miss Meyer's poem, "Three Gifts," was chosen from among the poetry entries because of the simplicity and beauty in its meaning."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back