VA VA - Arieanna Day, 3 months, Roanoke, 12 September 2018 *Charges dropped*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wednesday, December 11th:
*Hearing (@ 1pm ET) – VA – Arieanna Day (3 mos.) (Sept 12, 2018, not found, Roanoke) – *Andrew Christopher Terry (31) arrested (9/12/18) & charged (9/20/18) with illegal disposal of a body. Held without bond. Bond denied 9/20/18. Judge granted (10/25/18) $50K bond, has bonded out. Indicted (1/8/19) with concealing a body.
Trial started on 9/25/19. 9/26/19: Jury came back after 4 hours of deliberation & could not reach a unanimous verdict. Judge declared a mistrial. Terry walked out a free man.
11/13/19 Update: Hearing continued to 12/11. 11/21/19 Update: The Roanoke Police Department is requesting an additional search on Terry’s cellphone using “updated cellular forensic technology,” according to a search warrant filed on Nov. 13, 2019.

Here's a cute picture of little Arieanna.

5b9c5958ede07.image.jpg

Case of missing baby Arieanna to return to Montgomery County court

At a brief hearing Wednesday in Montgomery County Circuit Court, a decision was made to set a second jury trial for Andrew Christopher Terry, 32, of Blacksburg, on a charge of concealing a dead body. Judge Marc Long set aside April 1 and 2 to hear the case.
[.....]
At Terry’s first trial, Arieanna was identified as his daughter — a relationship that Terry himself described in recorded interviews with investigators. But in court, defense attorney Angi Simpkins of Dublin argued that Terry could not know if he really is the girl’s father.
[.....]
In recordings played in court, Terry said he stopped in Montgomery County, just outside of town, scooped out a shallow grave in a dirt bank near railroad tracks, and left Arieanna there.

But Terry recanted that confession after taking officers to where he said he left the girl. Searchers found no body and no trace of a grave. A day later, Terry repeated his confession to investigators.

I’m ashamed of myself for forgetting about little Arieanna. I checked on her for months. With no new news, I guess she got replaced with another child victim. When I saw this alert pop up, and I came here to read. My eyes teared up. This is terrible to say ~ but sometimes I hate WS. I want to believe ignorance is bliss. Then I think how selfish that feels when I read what I type. I don’t really hate WS, I love WS. Geez, I hope y’all understand what I’m trying to say.

What is wrong with these people? Why do children get hurt every day; usually by someone who is supposed to care for them? Just strolling through the highlights of trending criminal posts is heartbreaking. So many mistreated people. Abuse seems to be everywhere. Anywhere.

My godgranddaughter is African American. She spent her first weeks in this world at my house with my granddaughter because the mother’s mother would not accept her. Thank God that changed and she is in a loving family relationship. Oh, I’m emotional. This kinda hit me in a certain way. I really want to say thank you to everyone that has kept this baby in their thoughts. And @Steph8angels ~ your post touched me. Thank you. You are a good person. I know this. I just do. ❤️

You didn't forget her, she was still in your mind and still in your heart, otherwise you wouldn't be leaving this post.
There are so many children out there, so many just disposed of, you have to wonder about the people that could do that, and other terrible things to a child. Thank you for your post. Steph8angels, thank you for yours. Thank you to all who care. Some days you make a difference and some days you may not, but you always care, which is more than some people.
I'm here because I just ran across the child's photo on www.missingkids.com,
and I'm sad to hear they do not think she's alive. Keep looking.

Oops - I missed a hearing on 8/3.... going to post this here, just to keep it updated.

Monday, August 3rd:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 1pm ET) – VA – Arieanna Day (3 mos.) (Sept 12, 2018, not found, Roanoke) – *Andrew Christopher Terry (31/now 33) arrested (9/12/18) & charged (9/20/18) with illegal disposal of a body. Held without bond. Bond denied 9/20/18. Judge granted (10/25/18) $50K bond, has bonded out. Indicted (1/8/19) with concealing a body.
Trial started on 9/25/19. 9/26/19: Jury came back after 4 hours of deliberation & could not reach a unanimous verdict. Judge declared a mistrial. Terry walked out a free man.
Re-Trial was set to begin on 8/5/20 & 8/6/20 continued to 11/4/20 to 11/6/20.

11/13/19 Update: Hearing continued to 12/11. 11/21/19 Update: The Roanoke Police Dept. is requesting an additional search on Terry’s cellphone using “updated cellular forensic technology,” according to a search warrant filed on Nov. 13, 2019. Next pretrial hearing on 8/5/20. Trial was scheduled for 8/5 & 8/6 has been continued to 11/4/20 to 11/6/20. Pretrial hearing on 8/5 was changed to 8/3/20.

Wednesday, August 26th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 9am ET) – VA – Arieanna Day (3 mos.) (Sept 12, 2018, not found, Roanoke) – *Andrew Christopher Terry (31/now 33) arrested (9/12/18) & charged (9/20/18) with illegal disposal of a body. Held without bond. Bond denied 9/20/18. Judge granted (10/25/18) $50K bond, has bonded out. Indicted (1/8/19) with concealing a body.
Re-Trial was set to begin on 8/5/20 & 8/6/20 continued to 11/4/20 to 11/6/20.
11/13/19 Update: Hearing continued to 12/11. 11/21/19 Update: The Roanoke Police Dept. is requesting an additional search on Terry’s cellphone using “updated cellular forensic technology,” according to a search warrant filed on Nov. 13, 2019. Next pretrial hearing on 8/5/20. Trial was scheduled for 8/5 & 8/6 has been continued to 11/4/20 to 11/6/20. Pretrial hearing on 8/5 was changed to 8/3/20.
8/3/20 Update: Advise about attorneys arrangements. Next pretrial hearing on 8/26/20.

Oops!! Just to keep postings up to date - I'll go ahead & post this now. Sorry - but forgot to move my "stuff" to 9/2 date. Plus I've been having "trouble" accessing the VA website.... but finally today I got in! :)

Wednesday, Sept. 2nd:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 9am ET) – VA – Arieanna Day (3 mos.) (Sept 12, 2018, not found, Roanoke) – *Andrew Christopher Terry (31/now 33) arrested (9/12/18) & charged (9/20/18) with illegal disposal of a body. Held without bond. Bond denied 9/20/18. Judge granted (10/25/18) $50K bond, has bonded out. Indicted (1/8/19) with concealing a body.
Re-Trial set to begin on 11/4/20 to 11/6/20.

8/3/20 Update: Advise about attorneys arrangements. Next pretrial hearing on 8/26/20. 8/26/20 Update: Next hearing on 9/2/20.

Thursday, November 5th:
*Pretrial Motions Hearing (@ 9am ET) – VA – Arieanna Day (3 mos.) (Sept 12, 2018, not found, Roanoke) – *Andrew Christopher Terry (31/now 33) arrested (9/12/18) & charged (9/20/18) with illegal disposal of a body. Held without bond. Bond denied 9/20/18. Judge granted (10/25/18) $50K bond, has bonded out. Indicted (1/8/19) with concealing a body.
Re-Trial was set to begin on 11/4/20 to 11/6/20 has been continued, no further dates available.

Court info from 11/13/19 thru 8/3/20 reference post #571 here:
Still Missing - VA - Arieanna Day, 3 months, Roanoke, 12 September 2018 *MISTRIAL*

8/26/20 Update: Next pretrial hearing on 9/2/20. 9/2/20 Update: Trial has been continued with no further dates. Next pretrial motions hearing on 11/5/20.

Charges dropped for man accused of concealing child’s body

Thursday, the Commonwealth’s Attorney in Montgomery County dropped the charge against a man who had been charged with concealing a body.

Andrew Christopher Terry was charged in September of 2018 in connection with the disappearance of a baby in Roanoke City named Arieanna Day.

Terry was also facing charges in Roanoke City in connection with the child’s disappearance. Early on in the investigation, the child was presumed dead but has yet to be found.

Thursday, Mary Pettitt, Commonwealth’s Attorney for Montgomery County, submitted a request to noelle prosequi the conceal a dead body charge against Terry, thereby dropping it.

In a statement to WDBJ7, Pettitt said in an email, “Dropping the charge presents an opportunity for both Roanoke City and Montgomery County to build the strongest cases possible in our pursuit of justice for little Arieanna. The investigation continues but there are currently no charges in either jurisdiction.”

According to the written order provided by Pettitt, as a result of new information received since Terry’s 2019 trial, investigative efforts regarding the disappearance of Arieanna continue.

“Therefore,” the order reads, “due to the nature of the ongoing investigation, the Commonwealth does not wish to proceed in the prosecution of the Defendant for §18.2-323.02 at this time and asks this Honorable Court to enter an order of nolle prosequi.”

Charges dropped for man accused of concealing child’s body

Thursday, the Commonwealth’s Attorney in Montgomery County dropped the charge against a man who had been charged with concealing a body.

Andrew Christopher Terry was charged in September of 2018 in connection with the disappearance of a baby in Roanoke City named Arieanna Day.

Terry was also facing charges in Roanoke City in connection with the child’s disappearance. Early on in the investigation, the child was presumed dead but has yet to be found.

Thursday, Mary Pettitt, Commonwealth’s Attorney for Montgomery County, submitted a request to noelle prosequi the conceal a dead body charge against Terry, thereby dropping it.

In a statement to WDBJ7, Pettitt said in an email, “Dropping the charge presents an opportunity for both Roanoke City and Montgomery County to build the strongest cases possible in our pursuit of justice for little Arieanna. The investigation continues but there are currently no charges in either jurisdiction.”

According to the written order provided by Pettitt, as a result of new information received since Terry’s 2019 trial, investigative efforts regarding the disappearance of Arieanna continue.

“Therefore,” the order reads, “due to the nature of the ongoing investigation, the Commonwealth does not wish to proceed in the prosecution of the Defendant for §18.2-323.02 at this time and asks this Honorable Court to enter an order of nolle prosequi.”
Unbelievable!

Replying to myself to highlight this article.

Kyra, Shayna said, was a 2-year-old child murdered by her own father while going through a child custody case on Long Island.

“The forensic evaluator in Kyra’s case dismissed any and all claims of family violence, even though Kyra’s mother was pointing out that her father was dangerous,” Shayna said. “They even dismissed that Kyra’s father had just purchased two guns, one of which was the very gun used to kill little Kyra. And yet, the forensic evaluator still recommended joint custody. How is this even possible?”

Had the forensic evaluator in the case received more thorough and effective training, they could have acted appropriately when presented the red flags in this case, she argued.
Port Washington Teen Advocates On Behalf Of Late Toddler

U.S. Divorce Child Murder Data

Police continue search for clues after baby Arieanna Day went missing from northwest Roanoke 3 years ago | WFXRtv

Today marks three years since the disappearance of Arieanna Day. Roanoke Police have not forgotten about Arieanna, who was only three-months-old when she went missing from her home in the 1100 block of Hanover Avenue NW.

As a community, we all mourn the loss of Arieanna. She is missed and loved, and RPD remains dedicated to finding out what happened to her.

We want to thank the numerous agencies who continue to work on this incredibly difficult investigation with us. None of us will stop until we bring justice for Arieanna.

May 28, 2022
The family of Arieanna Day is still looking for answers after her disappearance in 2018.

Arieanna Day was three months old at the time and her family remembered her birthday Saturday afternoon.
[.....]
They want to know the latest status of the case.
[.....]
“We’ve been advocating for Arieanna Day for the past four years nothing has been done in her case and I’m asking the city of Roanoke to hold the detective in this case responsible,” said Mallory Thornton, an advocate for Arieanna’s case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MG89
Back