VA - Bethany Stephens, 21, mauled to death by her 2 dogs, Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it's very possible she tried to break up a fight between the dogs, or get in between them and a smaller critter they were chasing. It's absolutely tragic. My heart breaks for all who know and love her.

Mauled by her own dogs: Sheriff releases grisly new details to end speculation

http://ktla.com/2017/12/18/mauled-b...leases-grisly-new-details-to-end-speculation/

“Let me cut right to the chase, the most important detail that we did not release because we were worried about the well-being of the family is that in the course of trying to capture the dogs early Friday morning...we turned and looked…I observed, as well as four other deputy sheriffs, the dogs eating the ribcage on the body,” Agnew said at an afternoon news conference. "The injuries were very severe."
Blackwood added that Stephens' dogs were a “little bit neglected toward the end of this.” Stephens left the dogs with her father, and Blackwood said “he wasn’t taking care of them – it wasn’t his responsibility.”

The dogs had previously been indoor dogs and with her coming home maybe five times a week, they became more isolated. They were then kept outside “in the cold” in a kennel and only had contact with each other.
Agnew did clarify his initial statement that the animals were “bred for fighting” and said that a friend originally told them the dogs were rescued from an organization that rehabilitated dogs previously used for fighting."

I can't do the bully breed battle, but thought I'd share this. Sorry if it is a repeat.

http://ktla.com/2017/12/18/mauled-b...leases-grisly-new-details-to-end-speculation/

I can't do the bully breed battle, but thought I'd share this. Sorry if it is a repeat.

No clue if it was shared before, but I've only sporadically checked on this thread so I appreciate you sharing. So sad :(. Seems like maybe (??) she meant well in rescuing them, but wasn't actually fully prepared to do so. What a horrible death :(.

Not all pit bulls are like this :(. I've never had one, but have friends who have amazing pitties, with babies/kids, and I wish they were not all pegged in such a bad light. I don't think I'd ever rescue one if I had young kids in the house, but I would feel fine getting one as a puppy.

This is horrific. Those dogs treated her like prey. They were not protecting her body, they were protecting their kill.

This is horrific. Those dogs treated her like prey. They were not protecting her body, they were protecting their kill.

They did. And they were treated like prisoners of war.

Not really. Actually, a genetic marker is a gene, I don't think a specific gene has been identified in any of these breeds as far as behavior is concerned. But I believe many breeds demonstrate behavior consistent with their "jobs" as human companions.

ge·net·ic mark·er
noun
plural noun: genetic markers
a gene or short sequence of DNA used to identify a chromosome or to locate other genes on a genetic map.

Breed characteristics are determined by autosomal microsatellite markers which are...genetic markers. That determines appearance and behavior.

https://academic.oup.com/jhered/article/94/1/81/2187309

Dogs are kept in kennels often, see animal shelters, but they don't usually kill because of it when they are adopted out.

That's true. These were animals, however, that had apparently been bred for fighting (rescues it appears), and weren't just "kept in kennels". They were kept in the fold and isolated with only each other for company, after having been indoor dogs.

So you're talking about previously abused dogs who were rescued and pampered only to be abandoned and neglected.

Dogs can suffer trauma and mental health issues just as humans can.

That's true. These were animals, however, that had apparently been bred for fighting (rescues it appears), and weren't just "kept in kennels". They were kept in the fold and isolated with only each other for company, after having been indoor dogs.

So you're talking about previously abused dogs who were rescued and pampered only to be abandoned and neglected.

Dogs can suffer trauma and mental health issues just as humans can.

Yes, I can agree with that, but I imagine that they were fed, as the very least her father did for them, as dogs in shelters are. He didn't walk them, but she did. I really think that these dogs bonded even more than they were before and were in the pack attack mode. The Queen's corgis killed one of the princesses small dogs when they went into pack attack mode. Those dogs would be very pampered and should have no need to attack another dog, but they did. Fortunately they are not large enough to kill a human.

I thought she got them as puppies. Were they actually rescues?

Breed characteristics are determined by autosomal microsatellite markers which are...genetic markers. That determines appearance and behavior.

https://academic.oup.com/jhered/article/94/1/81/2187309

I have my own opinions Bully breeds, but after reading the details of what Bethany went through and what her family is currently going through, I'm going to have to step away from this thread. Prayers for all involved.

I have my own opinions Bully breeds, but after reading the details of what Bethany went through and what her family is currently going through, I'm going to have to step away from this thread. Prayers for all involved.

:therethere:

I just have to post this because it's so funny:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DLu2CFDBJk0

Actually, that was kinda funny and one of my daughter's chihuahuas acts something like that - not quite that bad though. Thing is, the man is still alive and well.

Here's another video that also shows truth, because it is true. Beware, it isn't quite as cute, rather disturbing because of the truth it shows and tells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=iFa8HOdegZA

I think it's very possible she tried to break up a fight between the dogs, or get in between them and a smaller critter they were chasing. It's absolutely tragic. My heart breaks for all who know and love her.

O/T:

I just saw your signature update SBHack! Congratulations on baby girl! Also "Baby girl SBHack" is a great name ;)

Also from the link...

“Since this has happened, I spent a significant amount of time researching attacks by dogs of this sort and while it is not an everyday occurrence, it is not rare and it happens with some frequency in this country,” Agnew said. “I don’t want to disparage any particular breed, but if you do the research you will find that many of them are perpetuated by pit bulls.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From your link:
“It’s primary purpose is to be a weapon. It’s doing what it’s supposed to do.”
Perhaps truer words may have never been spoken.

I’m a dog lover, but these animals are not like other dogs, I am appalled at all the deaths they have caused and still people choose to protect them, at the expense of the lives of innocent people as well as other innocent animals. :moo:

If the dogs had been living indoors with her, why were they now in a kennel at her dad’s? I wonder if she had recently separated or divorced, possibly moved to a place where she could not have her dogs with her. If I recall correctly, her FB showed she married in 2016 (possibly in the summer?), but we hear nothing about a husband. I cannot find her FB now, so I am not sure if it is still up as a memorial page. If that is the case, how long were they at dad’s, and how much attention were they getting?

ETA: her last name is spelled wrong on the thread, it is Stephens
her AfZb stres she married May 2016. https://www.facebook.com/bethany.stephens.5661

ETA: [FONT=&amp]The sheriff confirmed both pit bulls were euthanized on Saturday, December 16.
[/FONT]
http://heavy.com/news/2017/12/bethany-stephens-goochland-virginia-pit-bulls-pets/

I had 2 large dogs. One, an 80 lb. intact male lab, the other a 125 lb. spayed female Dane. I could NEVER take them on a walk together without a problem. Alone, they were fine. Together, they were horrible and could become uncontrollable in the blink of an eye. They were the sweetest and most obedient, loving dogs, until out on a walk together and then they were unpredictable and often uncontrollable. They were both trained professionally at great expense but even this was no guarantee that they would not pose a danger to a person or animal. I stopped taking them for walks.

It all has to do with the pack mentality and instinctual behavior. These dogs were likely excited by an animal in the woods and their instinctual behavior turned to her as she tried to exercise control.

These dogs breeds have been bred to kill for hundreds of years, it is in their DNA and it should not be a surprise when they kill.

I am sorry that her dogs killed her but not surprised.

THIS! I've thought this since the beginning.

I do want to know how these dogs were trained. Were they used as fighting or guard dogs? I doubt that they were raised as pups to be cuddly house pets.

Ok, I watch Judge Judy, and I've seen dozens of cases each year where an owner claims the dog is "great with the children" while killing other dogs while out for a walk.

I love dogs, but have cats. I've had my share of scratches and shredded sofas, but I've never been attacked by one. I give them the space they cherish and, whenever they want my company, I'm ready with the pets and scratches.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemc
Back