VA - Boy, 6, in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Watching her interview again...she says her son has ADHD. I believe he definitely has something more than ADHD. Mom believes she is a good mom. I imagine his routine after school was...get a Happy Meal, go home, eat snacks, watch tv, play video games...all while mom was sitting or lying around high. I even wonder if he had any evidence of drugs in his system. Would they automatically check students taken into DFCS custody for drugs if they were in the household with people who used drugs? I just believe Deja is totally strung out.
She seemed so calm and matter-of-fact in that interview. Maybe she is indeed strung out, but could she also be prescribed something like Xanax? Prescription would explain it not being reported in the drug test.
I also agree her son has more than just ADHD.
MOO

Just for clarification purposes, but isn't the grandfather in the above video Deja's grandfather? Which makes him little boy 'JT''s Great-grandfather....am I right? That's what puzzles me. There is a whole generation missing from this boys life.....or are they just as incapable of providing care for him, as his mother?
It baffles me.

RSBM

You and Cujenn81 are correct... I'm just lazy and keep calling him "the grandfather".

Watching her interview again...she says her son has ADHD. I believe he definitely has something more than ADHD. Mom believes she is a good mom. I imagine his routine after school was...get a Happy Meal, go home, eat snacks, watch tv, play video games...all while mom was sitting or lying around high. I even wonder if he had any evidence of drugs in his system. Would they automatically check students taken into DFCS custody for drugs if they were in the household with people who used drugs? I just believe Deja is totally strung out.
Pretty sure when they went to court, she admitted she'd been smoking MJ daily for over a decade. The kid's six. So yeah, he's got nine months in the womb, even if she didn't smoke around him once he was born.

MOO

Taylor told investigators after the shooting that her son had been diagnosed with “obstructive defiance disorder,” more commonly known as oppositional defiant disorder, a condition where someone lashes out against authority figures, and took medication for it, Jenkins said.

If it is true that they had him on medication for ODD, then they weren’t getting him the correct treatment, IMO. My son has ODD and ADHD so I understand how difficult it can be to parent a child with these conditions. However, ODD cannot be treated with medication. The treatment consists of therapy to help the child manage their behaviors. And yes, often children with ODD have ADHD. ADHD can exacerbate ODD, primarily because the lack of impulse control in ADHD prevents them from thinking before they react. Obviously ADHD can be treated with medication, so it is important to treat that as it does help a bit with ODD. However, IMO a child MUST go to therapy as well to truly treat the ODD. My son has been on medication for ADHD for 5 years and in therapy for 7 years now (he’s 12) and we still have a good amount of rough moments. I can’t say for certain that she didn’t have him in therapy but if she didn’t, she was doing him a huge disservice. JMO.

edit: as the link below shows, it is extremely important that specific parenting skills are learned and consistently implemented to help with ODD. There is just as much, if not more, work that needs to be done by parents of children with ODD than the children themselves.

“Although some parenting techniques may seem like common sense, learning to use them consistently in the face of opposition isn't easy. It's especially hard if there are other stressors at home. Learning these skills requires routine practice and patience.”

If it is true that they had him on medication for ODD, then they weren’t getting him the correct treatment, IMO. My son has ODD and ADHD so I understand how difficult it can be to parent a child with these conditions. However, ODD cannot be treated with medication. The treatment consists of therapy to help the child manage their behaviors. And yes, often children with ODD have ADHD. ADHD can exacerbate ODD, primarily because the lack of impulse control in ADHD prevents them from thinking before they react. Obviously ADHD can be treated with medication, so it is important to treat that as it does help a bit with ODD. However, IMO a child MUST go to therapy as well to truly treat the ODD. My son has been on medication for ADHD for 5 years and in therapy for 7 years now (he’s 12) and we still have a good amount of rough moments. I can’t say for certain that she didn’t have him in therapy but if she didn’t, she was doing him a huge disservice. JMO.

edit: as the link below shows, it is extremely important that specific parenting skills are learned and consistently implemented to help with ODD. There is just as much, if not more, work that needs to be done by parents of children with ODD than the children themselves.

“Although some parenting techniques may seem like common sense, learning to use them consistently in the face of opposition isn't easy. It's especially hard if there are other stressors at home. Learning these skills requires routine practice and patience.”
Shoutout to you for being a great parent! Having a child with those conditions seems insanely difficult.

Hope the courts in VA take Deja's criminal behavior in failing to secure her gun as seriously as Maryland has with this woman

A Maryland grandmother has been sentenced to four years in prison for failing to secure a gun used by her 9-year-old grandson to fatally shoot a teenager last year, authorities said.
[snip]

“I hope this sentence makes it clear that in the City of Baltimore, we are holding everyone accountable for their role in proliferating violence, especially violence against our children,” State Attorney Ivan J. Bates said. “Responsible gun ownership can be a matter of life or death for parents and guardians.”
Md. Grandmother Sentenced After Grandson, 9, Fatally Shoots Teenage Girl

Just now seeing this thread -- so very sad and frightening.
Hoping for improvement for the boy who needs much and intense care, and for his family. Certainly prayers for both families. It's sad, dire, and frightening for all.
Prayers and hope for the teacher, her family, the school and its leaders and children.

Not unexpected... more excuses

Prosecutors asked for Taylor’s bond to be revoked in a Sept. 1 motion filed in federal court after she tested positive for marijuana July 19, and tested positive for cocaine and marijuana Aug. 25.
However, in response to that filing Sept. 13, her attorneys say she should remain on bond because she has shown progress in dealing with her substance abuse issues.
Also, they say that despite four positive drug tests since Aug. 25, the levels of the drugs are going down “and show that Ms. Taylor is abstaining from this drug.”

A motion hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 21 in Newport News.

They say the positive test for cocaine “was an aberration and likely caused from her use of marijuana unknowingly laced with cocaine,” and that she has had “regular and full compliance” with those running the Mental Health Services counseling program.

Of course it's not her fault she smoked weed laced with cocaine. Putting her in jail will exacerbate her problems. Well...what the heck are they expecting probation? All my opinion...

"Ms. Taylor freely admits that she has had a still faces a serious substance abuse challenge," the letter stated. "Her addiction is clearly a disease -- nonetheless, revocation and incarceration are not the cures. We respectfully submit that a jail cell will only exacerbate the deep issues that she is facing.
The attorneys added that, despite Taylor still testing positive for marijuana, she has reduced her use of the drug. They also said since August 25, she's been working with and communicating regularly with the Probation Officer and her supervisor, explaining how they indicated to Taylor recently that they were pleased with her progress.

Of course it's not her fault she smoked weed laced with cocaine. Putting her in jail will exacerbate her problems. Well...what the heck are they expecting probation? All my opinion...

"Ms. Taylor freely admits that she has had a still faces a serious substance abuse challenge," the letter stated. "Her addiction is clearly a disease -- nonetheless, revocation and incarceration are not the cures. We respectfully submit that a jail cell will only exacerbate the deep issues that she is facing.
The attorneys added that, despite Taylor still testing positive for marijuana, she has reduced her use of the drug. They also said since August 25, she's been working with and communicating regularly with the Probation Officer and her supervisor, explaining how they indicated to Taylor recently that they were pleased with her progress.

Pleased with her progress. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

since the cocaine result was only once obvi it was a mistake and probably laced in her pot ;)

Because pot dealers regularly waste their cocaine, which has a value all on it's own, by sprinkling it all over their product. GMAFB

That is the " my dog ate my homework" excuse of every court appointed drug tested failure. duly noted.

The gun was secure...
.....and someone laced her weed....

Mkay ? Mr Ellenson..

:rolleyes:

since the cocaine result was only once obvi it was a mistake and probably laced in her pot ;)

Because pot dealers regularly waste their cocaine, which has a value all on it's own, by sprinkling it all over their product. GMAFB
I was just going to say this. Plenty of dealers cut their drugs (although not typically marijuana) with fentanyl because it’s cheap and gives a more intense high which keeps the buyer coming back for more. But I don’t know of a SINGLE dealer who’s going to lace their marijuana with cocaine - first off, as you said, cocaine is expensive. And second, most people buy marijuana for the relaxing “chill” effect, not because they want a cocaine high. If I was looking to chill and buy some MJ, I’d be pretty annoyed if I suddenly had a cocaine high and I wouldn’t be going back to that dealer again. Hypothetically speaking of course and all JMO.

I was just going to say this. Plenty of dealers cut their drugs (although not typically marijuana) with fentanyl because it’s cheap and gives a more intense high which keeps the buyer coming back for more. But I don’t know of a SINGLE dealer who’s going to lace their marijuana with cocaine - first off, as you said, cocaine is expensive. And second, most people buy marijuana for the relaxing “chill” effect, not because they want a cocaine high. If I was looking to chill and buy some MJ, I’d be pretty annoyed if I suddenly had a cocaine high and I wouldn’t be going back to that dealer again. Hypothetically speaking of course and all JMO.
It amazes me what DT and the lawyer think the court and the public will buy.

This could violate the plea deal.

Keeping her out on bond has not benefited DT in my opinion.

Moo

When you view substance abuse as a "medical issue", then relapse is considered part of treatment. So, maybe her progress has been significant, in comparison with previous usage amounts.

From previous reports we know she wasn't complying consistently (regularly) with the testing. So, I'm not giving bonus points for a medical issue/relapse view. jmo

Last edited:
From previous reports we know she wasn't complying consistently (regularly) with the testing. So, I'm not giving bonus points for a medical issue/relapse view. jmo

Exactly! Ms Taylor may have a substance abuse diagnosis, but Ms Taylor also may have a Defiance Disorder Diagnosis as well.....so there's that...

MOO and Peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillbillywest403
Back