VA - Boy, 6, in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is a federal charge, although VA has legalize small quantities of weed, federal law has not.

I gotta feeling she'll be skipping out of the court house on Thursday. I've lost all faith in this part of our state. Moo

Last edited:
Not unexpected... more excuses

Prosecutors asked for Taylor’s bond to be revoked in a Sept. 1 motion filed in federal court after she tested positive for marijuana July 19, and tested positive for cocaine and marijuana Aug. 25.
However, in response to that filing Sept. 13, her attorneys say she should remain on bond because she has shown progress in dealing with her substance abuse issues.
Also, they say that despite four positive drug tests since Aug. 25, the levels of the drugs are going down “and show that Ms. Taylor is abstaining from this drug.”

A motion hearing is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 21 in Newport News.

They say the positive test for cocaine “was an aberration and likely caused from her use of marijuana unknowingly laced with cocaine,” and that she has had “regular and full compliance” with those running the Mental Health Services counseling program.

She is a really LUCKY person.

Unbelievable !!!! I'm so feed up with this part of the state. Moo..

This is much akin to being called to the principal's office for not following the rules and being given a piece of candy and sent back to the classroom.

Useless.

This is much akin to being called to the principal's office for not following the rules and being given a piece of candy and sent back to the classroom.

Useless.
It just makes me nauseous, scared and very concerned for the message being sent to offenders. Certainly no incentive to follow the law, even when kids, guns, drugs and shootings are involved.
Moo

I am angry, but not surprised.
Message received. Victims be damned, and all praise and power to the accused.

Typical...sigh

I wish the "judge" showed some semblance of 'appreciation' for Abby Zwerner, and the hundreds of students who were in danger, instead of giving Ms Taylor the praises and pats on the back.

Poor Abby Zwerner
Poor children in Public Schools in VA ( and elsewhere )

Grrrr

I am angry, but not surprised.
Message received. Victims be damned, and all praise and power to the accused.

Typical...sigh

I wish the "judge" showed some semblance of 'appreciation' for Abby Zwerner, and the hundreds of students who were in danger, instead of giving Ms Taylor the praises and pats on the back.

Poor Abby Zwerner
Poor children in Public Schools in VA ( and elsewhere )

Grrrr
Well, my school system is certainly not like this or my courts. We had to build a new jail to house everyone opened this a year.

Yea, we shame them on the west side. Daily Arrest posted on FB, Most wanted posted weekly FB, even feature focus on a most wanted person weekly. It surprises me how many tips and criminals they arrest since the Sheriff started doing this.

Moo....

I wonder how much marijuana they found in car and residences??

Federal prosecutors previously wrote in court filings that Taylor admitted to being a marijuana user for 11 years and that authorities discovered a large amount of the drug and drug paraphernalia when searching her car and residences after the shooting.

And, we must not forget...

She admitted the gun was stored in such a way that her son could access it.

Oh yes Judge, Taylor deserves trust and compassion something that Abby Zwerner doesn't seem to be getting from this decision. (imo)

Useless.

Which is more than likely how we got to this place.

I really don’t understand. Because on the one hand her attorney argued that it takes a while for marijuana to leave the system and then on the other hand argued that she must’ve smoked marijuana that had been laced with cocaine. That’s interesting because cocaine only stays in your system for two to three days. Sooo??

Which is more than likely how we got to this place.

On the eastern shore, Richmond to FC, there is a shooting on school property or within 1/2 mile, weekly. It's harder and harder to read the news in the mornings.

Newport News, Va. – A heated debate has emerged about the once-unimaginable shooting of a teacher by her 6-year-old student: How should the school district take care of the teacher?

Should she only get workers’ compensation for her serious physical injuries? Or does she deserve the chance to sue the school system for millions of dollars over claims that it failed to protect her?

Attorneys are likely to argue over those questions Friday in the Virginia city of Newport News, where Abby Zwerner is suing the public schools for $40 million. The former first-grade teacher was hospitalized for nearly two weeks and endured multiple surgeries after a bullet struck her hand and chest...

Today's the day....

The mother of a 6-year-old who shot his teacher in Virginia is expected to be sentenced Friday for felony child neglect, 10 months after her son used her handgun to critically wound the educator.

Deja Taylor faces up to five years behind bars. But as part of a plea deal, prosecutors will recommend a six-month sentence that falls within state guidelines. A judge will ultimately decide Taylor’s punishment.

Taylor’s sentencing offers the first measure of accountability for January’s classroom shooting, which revived a national dialogue about gun violence and roiled the military shipbuilding city of Newport News.

Today's the day....

The mother of a 6-year-old who shot his teacher in Virginia is expected to be sentenced Friday for felony child neglect, 10 months after her son used her handgun to critically wound the educator.

Deja Taylor faces up to five years behind bars. But as part of a plea deal, prosecutors will recommend a six-month sentence that falls within state guidelines. A judge will ultimately decide Taylor’s punishment.

Taylor’s sentencing offers the first measure of accountability for January’s classroom shooting, which revived a national dialogue about gun violence and roiled the military shipbuilding city of Newport News.
If she doesn't get a custodial sentence, I'm going to be fuming. I believe in rehabilitation, but I believe people have to want to work for it. I haven't seen much to make me think she's in a space where she's working for it yet.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back