VA - Boy, 6, in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“Calvin Taylor has had legal custody of the boy, now 7, since shortly after the January school shooting. He says the boy is doing much better now and was even recently named student of the week.”

“Mr. Taylor says the gun was kept on a closet shelf in his home, and said the boy was able to use a stool to reach it. Although Child Protective Services called for his granddaughter to keep the gun in a locked box, the ATF investigator said the gun was never placed in it.”

Student of the Week? That's a huge difference. I wonder if his new teacher is aware of his past> Or the other parents?

Sentencing for DT's marijuana use while owning a firearm is scheduled for today.

[...]
Prosecutors said they will seek a 21-month prison sentence.

“This case is not a marijuana case,” they wrote. “It is a case that underscores the inherently dangerous nature and circumstances that arise from the caustic cocktail of mixing consistent and prolonged controlled substance use with a lethal firearm.”

Taylor agreed in June to a negotiated guilty plea in U.S. District Court in Newport News in the state’s southeast coastal region. She has been convicted of using marijuana while owning a gun as well as lying about her drug use on a federal form when she bought the gun.

Taylor’s attorneys said they will ask for probation and home confinement, according to court filings. They argued Taylor needs counseling for issues that include schizoaffective disorder, a condition that shares symptoms with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

ETA: this is separate from her sentencing for child neglect, scheduled for December.
Home confinement That's where the problem stems from. The home. SMH.
Student of the Week? That's a huge difference. I wonder if his new teacher is aware of his past> Or the other parents?
Please tell me the mom has no contact with this child.

As I recall back to elementary school, every student was chosen as "student of the week" at some point during the school year(s). JMO
I agree, everyone had their special week. I wonder if he is in a private school. Finding out about him taking the car keys, mom shooting at the dad, and already knowing his past can this child's violent tendencies truly be controlled?

As I recall back to elementary school, every student was chosen as "student of the week" at some point during the school year(s). JMO
Honoring this child as "Student of the Week" was likely a good will gesture by his new school. I'm sure that administration and faculty are fully aware of his past and want him to feel welcome as part of the school community. Positive reinforcement was likely recommended by psychiatrists/psychologists who interacted with the child when he was hospitalized following the shooting. JMO

OT/Related: Here is a local feature about teachers' reports of disruptive behavior in their classrooms. I'm glad that my teaching days are long past.

Honoring this child as "Student of the Week" was likely a good will gesture by his new school. I'm sure that administration and faculty are fully aware of his past and want him to feel welcome as part of the school community. Positive reinforcement was likely recommended by psychiatrists/psychologists who interacted with the child when he was hospitalized following the shooting. JMO

OT/Related: Here is a local feature about teachers' reports of disruptive behavior in their classrooms. I'm glad that my teaching days are long past.

I hope it works and he is reformed vs leads a life of violence and crime.

A Virginia mother held liable for her 6-year-old son's shooting of his elementary school teacher this year was handed a two-year sentence Friday on a state charge of felony child neglect.

Deja Taylor, 26, could have faced as many as five years in prison, but was given a shorter sentence, The Associated Press reported. A plea deal with prosecutors led them to drop a misdemeanor charge of reckless storage of a firearm; they had suggested as little as six months in prison, but the judge did not have to follow that.

Taylor has remained behind bars after she pleaded guilty in June to a charge of using marijuana while owning a gun, which is illegal under federal law, and was sentenced last month to 21 months in prison.

Friday's hearing winds down one aspect of the case, which stunned the city of Newport News, drew national attention to school safety and gun violence, and prompted the ouster of the schools superintendent and an assistant principal.
Mother of 6-year-old boy who shot Virginia teacher sentenced to 2 years

BANNED from CONTACTING CHILD til 18 y/o

More from the good old DM, on today's sentencing of Deja Nicole Taylor to two further years in prison for felony child neglect after her son shot his first-grade teacher.
"The Virginian mother is also banned from contacting her child until he is 18."

"In a sentencing memo on the federal drug charge, prosecutors offered new details in the family's home life, including that the boy had twice stolen car keys from Taylor's purse, even crashing it on one occassion. In addition, Taylor apparently fired her gun about a month before the shooting at Richneck in an agurment over whether her son's father was cheating with another woman, according to text messages obtained by prosecutors."

Per nbc.com link, great-grandfather to the 6 y/o shooter, Calvin Taylor, wrote in a pre-sentence letter of support:
"Deja has shown resilience and the willpower to build a future for not only herself, but her son as well."

Respectfully disagreeing w you, Mr. Taylor. From what I've read, Deja has not been working for the future of her son, but jmo. I hope someone will.

TYVM @tlcya :) for posting nbcnews link.

Last edited:
That it about 12 years away. I hope Great Grampa can and will be able to stand up and say NO to Deja, when and if her '-like' nature returns, and she demands contact.

Glad she at least got two years.

ETA: Her " - like " nature being a slang term for criminal/ negligent.
Prone to continuing same...

BANNED from CONTACTING CHILD til 18 y/o

More from the good old DM, on today's sentencing of Deja Nicole Taylor to two further years in prison for felony child neglect after her son shot his first-grade teacher.
"The Virginian mother is also banned from contacting her child until he is 18."

"In a sentencing memo on the federal drug charge, prosecutors offered new details in the family's home life, including that the boy had twice stolen car keys from Taylor's purse, even crashing it on one occassion. In addition, Taylor apparently fired her gun about a month before the shooting at Richneck in an agurment over whether her son's father was cheating with another woman, according to text messages obtained by prosecutors."

Per nbc.com link, great-grandfather to the 6 y/o shooter, Calvin Taylor, wrote in a pre-sentence letter of support:
"Deja has shown resilience and the willpower to build a future for not only herself, but her son as well."

Respectfully disagreeing w you, Mr. Taylor. From what I've read, Deja has not been working for the future for her son, but jmo. I hope someone will.

TYVM @tlcya :) for posting nbcnews link.

I would love to see this ban reported some where other than The Daily Mail, IYKWIM, MOO.

DM offered us the headline, the summary, one sentence, and nothing more. Sigh.

Virginia mom whose six year-old son shot his teacher is BANNED from contacting him until he's 18, as she's sentenced to an additional two years in prison​

• The Virginian mother is also banned from contacting her child until he is 18 after pleading guilty to felony child neglect
  • … “The Virginian mother is also banned from contacting her child until he is 18."
Edited for clarity, thanks @al66pine

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay