VA - Couple & two teens found murdered, Farmville, 15 Sept 2009 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to wonder if the people at the jail are going to give books about a serial killer to a guy accused of murdering several people with a maul. But hey maybe it's just me that thinks that maybe this isn't such a great idea.

Now that surprises me. Do you think he shouldn't be allowed to listen to, say, heavy metal music?

What all types of books and music would you keep from him? And what's the reasoning, exactly?

As an aside, I don't think corrections has a censorship committee set up for book deliveries to prisoners, but maybe they have something worked out....?

I know, see??? You're a criminal defense attorney!!! JK my friend - PS: I got TWO model answers on midterms dude - one in contracts, one in torts :) My classmates had to learn not to underestimate the blonde with the pink pencils I guess.

So - it's one thing to play a violent game; but it's another to identify with a character that is more real life; a character with flaws yet likeable; I just see a different effect after having watched the show. Maybe it's my dark side huh?

I love many violent things: I like violent movies (not horror though) but lots of guns and car chases and martial arts fights...LOVE it. My favorite games are first person shooter; I know it's geek but Splinter Cell is my favorite - it gets the heart pounding.

I guess Dexter is a big hit with many; is it a coincidence that so many of the young violent killers like this show?

So, a show that you watch on tv makes you identify more with a character than a first person shooter video game: where you become the character, see from the characters perspective and use the characters hands to shoot or otherwise kill people/ humanoid things/ aliens?

ETA: good job on the classes. I told you that you would do fine.

I was on this and another forum in the early 90's and actually met most of the people I had been chatting with IRL down in San Diego. It was pretty cool actually. I met a couple that I stayed with and they were super normal nice suburban young adults. There was only one guy that was so OFF - like I never pictured him to be like he was IRL, he was way cooler in chat. Everyone else was not a surprise at all and they were nice and we had a great time. My entire family thought I was fruit loops for doing that, but I was just so curious. One of my "friends" might still be lurking here...hi Kathyn2 from Southern Cal.

Of course, I am wwwwaaayyyy cooler in person.;)

I have a similar story from a forum I was on for years. Hey, wait. And... I lived in San Diego..... Zig, are you...?

Now that surprises me. Do you think he shouldn't be allowed to listen to, say, heavy metal music?

What all types of books and music would you keep from him? And what's the reasoning, exactly?

As an aside, I don't think corrections has a censorship committee set up for book deliveries to prisoners, but maybe they have something worked out....?

He's not yet convicted so of course he should be able to read and listen to whatever he wants. That goes without saying. However, something about him hanging around in jail reading those books skeeves me out right now. I just had an immediate reaction to imagining this for some reason...

I also wonder whether his lawyer or psychologist would think it was such a great idea.

Dange- It's a terrible idea. Also, Andre. What would lead an attorney to tell his client that he's lookin at 10-20 for a quadruple murder? Is there something here that the untrained eye is not seeing? 10-20 would be a heavy duty manslaughter charge you would receive for killin a guy in a fight. Being a lawyer typa guy, does this suggest how the attorney is planning on approaching this case?

Dange- It's a terrible idea. Also, Andre. What would lead an attorney to tell his client that he's lookin at 10-20 for a quadruple murder? Is there something here that the untrained eye is not seeing? 10-20 would be a heavy duty manslaughter charge you would receive for killin a guy in a fight. Being a lawyer typa guy, does this suggest how the attorney is planning on approaching this case?

I'm pretty tired so excuse the fact that my response is all over the place.

Lawyers serve many different roles. They are advocates for their clients, but they are also counselors. He should reassure his client -- but he also shouldn't mislead him.

We don't know exactly what the lawyer said. So, I can only make a few inferences. I'm guessing he's being optimistic on a plea deal. Generally, inmates serve around half of their sentence. Telling Sam he'd get out in 10-20 would put his sentence around 20-40.

You ask whether there's something the untrained eye is missing here. I can tell you there is a lot everyone is missing here. We know very little about the facts of this case.

While I'm sure it's happened, no one should get 20 years for manslaughter. 10 years is even on the heavy side. However, 10-20 would be in line for a second degree murder charge.

...I'm also thinking the source of that whole thing was Sam himself,we really don't wether or not the lawyer said that at all...maybe Sam by writing that in the letter is just trying to reassure himself or he wrote it just to give MAry some good news....but anyways Andres,if the lawyer DID say something like that....would it be possible like I thought a while back that would be the sentence if he can only get convicted of 1 of the murders?
....oh and Tapu,could you please release the Farmvillean,so he can tell us about that guy in the picture?

I heard about this yesterday....

Her website is interesting/disturbing.

12-14-08-c.JPG

I will never listen to the Beatles again.

And I find it interesting that both Monet and SickTanick chose the date 1/22/2010. Monet killed Pastor Karen Lee Johnson on this date and SickTanick released his Chapter 2 In Nomine SickTanick as well.

Very interesting.

yes,I agree for once because it really seems like she CHOSE that particular date...it did not just happen to fall on that date...

Hm. Have you ever seen that trick where someone asks a room full of people when their birthdays are and then everyone is surprised when two or more people have the same one?

Our perceptions are very deceiving when it comes to statistical probability.

Hm. Have you ever seen that trick where someone asks a room full of people when their birthdays are and then everyone is surprised when two or more people have the same one?

Our perceptions are very deceiving when it comes to statistical probability.

Yes, I am well aware of this.

However in this case there are only two events connected to a single date. In the birthday problem you need 23 people (!!!) to get a 50% probability of a birthday match which seems surprising until you understand why.

Here we also have two people involved with Satanism so there is a fundamental reason to suspect that they may have used similar decision processes to select this date. That is speculation clearly, but perhaps not undecidable speculation.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

yes,I agree for once because it really seems like she CHOSE that particular date...it did not just happen to fall on that date...

It appears that both SickTanick and Monet chose this date, but we don't know what decision process they used. We know this because SickTanick announced his release date in advance and it appears that the web page made by Monet with the 1/22/2010 date was made in November 2009.

Of course there is still a 1/365 (0.274%) probability that two dates would coincide just by chance selection.

...I'm also thinking the source of that whole thing was Sam himself,we really don't wether or not the lawyer said that at all...maybe Sam by writing that in the letter is just trying to reassure himself or he wrote it just to give MAry some good news....but anyways Andres,if the lawyer DID say something like that....would it be possible like I thought a while back that would be the sentence if he can only get convicted of 1 of the murders?
....oh and Tapu,could you please release the Farmvillean,so he can tell us about that guy in the picture?

Yeah, it's absolutely possible that he could only be convicted of first degree murder of the pastor.

I heard about this yesterday....

Her website is interesting/disturbing.

12-14-08-c.JPG

I will never listen to the Beatles again.

And I find it interesting that both Monet and SickTanick chose the date 1/22/2010. Monet killed Pastor Karen Lee Johnson on this date and SickTanick released his Chapter 2 In Nomine SickTanick as well.

Very interesting.

Maaaaaan. This puts even my compassion to test. Yikes.

It appears that both SickTanick and Monet chose this date, but we don't know what decision process they used. We know this because SickTanick announced his release date in advance and it appears that the web page made by Monet with the 1/22/2010 date was made in November 2009.

Of course there is still a 1/365 (0.274%) probability that two dates would coincide just by chance selection.

Well, if we take a conservative estimate of the earth's age as 4.5 billion years then really we have a 1/(4,500,000,000 x 365.25) = 1/1,643,625,000,000 probability of those events taking place on earth on the same day just by chance selection, which makes it completely impossible that they are unrelated. Almost impossible I mean...

Well, if we take a conservative estimate of the earth's age as 4.5 billion years then really we have a 1/(4,500,000,000 x 365.25) = 1/1,643,625,000,000 probability of those events taking place on earth on the same day just by chance selection, which makes it completely impossible that they are unrelated. Almost impossible I mean...

This also makes it almost impossible that you all showed up in this thread the same time I did, by chance. I must conclude you are all stalking ME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member