VA VA - Dashad "Sage" Smith, 19, Charlottesville, 20 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi everyone, I am a friend of the Smith family, and would like to announce a vigil tomorrow Thursday, November 20th, 2014 to mark the 2nd year anniversary of Sage Smith's disappearance. It will be held at Lolita Smith's (Sage's grandmother) house on xxxx Orangedale Ave at 7pm. This day is of special importance because it also marks Trans Day of Remembrance.

I originally came here to post the latest update on the reward, and sincerely appreciate that others beat me to it. :) Just for the record, this increased reward would not have happened without community pressure pointing out the discrepancies in the handling of Sage's case and the handling of Hannah Graham's case.

On a related note, please keep Lolita in your thoughts as she is struggling greatly with her health at this moment, and the stress caused by this disappearance certainly hasn't helped.

Welcome to Ws Jordi!

:welcome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_Day_of_Remembrance

"Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR), which occurs annually on November 20, is a day to memorialize those who have been killed as a result of transphobia[1] (the hatred or fear of transgender and gender non-conforming people) and to bring attention to the continued violence endured by the transgender community.[2]

The Transgender Day of Remembrance was founded in 1998 by Gwendolyn Ann Smith, a trans woman who is a graphic designer, columnist, and activist,[3] to memorialize the murder of Rita Hester in Allston, Massachusetts.[4] Since its inception, TDoR has been held annually on November 20,[5] and it has slowly evolved from the web-based project started by Smith into an international day of action. In 2010, TDoR was observed in over 185 cities throughout more than 20 countries.[6]

Typically, a TDoR memorial includes a reading of the names of those who lost their lives during the previous year,[7] and may include other actions, such as candlelight vigils, art shows, food drives, film screenings, and marches".

dashadsmith4.jpg

dashadsmith.jpg

http://wtvr.com/2012/11/28/transgender-virginia-teen-missing-8-days/

Bumping for 2 years.

Welcome, Jordi. You, Lolita and all Sage's friends and other family will be in my thoughts today. Sending hugs from Texas.

Link copied from another thread:

http://www.c-ville.com/two-years-sa...crepancies-missing-person-cases/#.VG5usjCJOuY

Snipped:

But former Charlottesville Commonwealth’s Attorney Steve Deaton said declaring Smith’s case a criminal investigation rather than a missing person case could open up new avenues of investigation and additional resources, giving police probable cause to gain access to McFadden’s previously used e-mail and social media accounts and to conduct any other searches that might be relevant. “Especially since Sage has been missing for two years now—that fact makes the probable cause even stronger,” said Deaton.

Documents Released In Missing C'Ville Teen Case, Family Still Has Faith

Court documents made public show who and what city investigators have been working on in this case since Smith disappeared in November 2012.

The documents included search warrants, emails and phone records.

The court documents show that the last person Smith interacted with by phone was Erik McFadden and the two were apparently going to meet at the Amtrak station off of West Main Street in Charlottesville.

The records show McFadden first told investigators he had no knowledge of Dashad's disappearance and did not see him on November 20th.

But later, investigators were contacted by McFadden's girlfriend at the time who said her boyfriend was missing. She also told them that in an email she received, McFadden admitted that he had seen and talked to Smith that night - the documents stated. Also in that email, McFadden says Smith was blackmailing him.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/214679321.html

Bumping this link and wondering if EM possibly went missing involuntarily ?
Also wonder if other people knew of Dashad's habit of calling her G.Mom late at night?

From the link, rbbm.

"The court records state that then, suddenly, McFadden left Charlottesville without contacting his girlfriend or his employer, Sherwin-Williams and has not returned.

But McFadden's family has not filed a missing person report.

Lolita Smith, Dashad's grandmother, says he used to call her almost every night between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. just to talk because he knew she was a night owl.

And lately, Lolita says she's been receiving calls during that same time period from a blocked number.

"And I say 'Hello? Hello?' and they just hang up and call again. And I think it's maybe you know his way of saying 'grandma, I'm still out here, you know I'm reaching out'" she said.

Police say in a summary in the documents that it is reasonable to believe that Erik McFadden does know what happened to Smith"

Re: neverletgo

This is all too true. LE has had plenty of evidence to take this on as a criminal investigation, namely that Sage and Erik McFadden have both been out of touch for two years. On top of this, Erik claimed during his one and only phone call with LE that he never met Sage on nov. 20, and then contradicted this in a private message to his girlfriend.

Re: dotr

From the Smith family, other family members knew of Sage's calling habit. Also, when these calls from blocked numbers were coming in during the early half of 2013, Cookie was not the only person receiving them, but also Sage's aunt and possibly her father (he said he was getting blocked number calls at this time, but didn't answer them, so it's not 100% certain). So it was someone who knew these two (possibly three) numbers. The family brought it up to the police, but again, they claimed that since this is not a "criminal" investigation, they can't legally do any sort of wiretapping to trace the origin of this number.

On another note, anyone here with any sort of legal knowledge on the line between a criminal and a non-criminal investigation on missing persons in Virginia? It seems really blurry, especially looking at how the police jumped on investigating Jesse Mathews before they had an actual warrant for him (even before the "reckless driving" warrant).

http://wtvr.com/2014/12/19/court-documents-shed-new-light-on-missing-person-case-in-charlottesville/

According to the unsealed court papers between December 2012 and February 2013 police executed search warrants on Smith’s cell phone, computer, and social media records. The same was done for McFadden.

Detectives pulled an email from McFadden to his then-girlfriend. It was from November 30, 2012, ten days after Smith vanished. The email says in part “I never did anything sexual with that guy and he was blackmailing me, he wanted me to give him money.”

The email also mentioned the alleged meeting. McFadden said “We did meet, but he had a lot of enemies. Me and him were walking and some people showed up and I kept walking.”

Thinking of Sage and her family this Xmas eve. :candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/Dashad-Sage-Smith-287575901.html

Jan 05, 2015

"They say they can't help but to look other at cases of missing persons, like Hannah Graham and Morgan Harrington, and not feel frustration.

"They had drones and helicopters everyday, and the only thing Sage got was a search in a landfill," emphasized Tonita Smith. "Basically...that was it."

The family say they think a lot of it had to do with their lack of money and resources to increase search efforts.

"Because she's black and transgender," said Tonita Smith.

Smith's family friend, Donna Gasapo, says word is spreading slowly"

Just wanted to add another news link from Dec/14-Jan/15. It doesn't provide significantly different information that the other two directly above but the comments are interesting and it is good to have a news link in case the others expire or are pulled down. With so little info and coverage on Sage, I think every post counts.

http://www.nbc29.com/story/27672097/tracking-the-dashad-sage-smith-investigation

Bumping for Dashad with this news item from Jan/15, and wondering if Dashad knew the victim, or if there might be any connection to this case..

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2015/01/23/trans-woman-color-murdered-va/

"A transgender woman of color was shot to death last weekend in Norfolk, Va.

The Norfolk Police Department said it received a 911 call shortly before 4 a.m. on Jan. 17 that said someone had been shot on East 25th Street in the city’s Park Place neighborhood.

Paramedics transported the victim — later identified as Lamia Beard — to a local hospital with multiple gunshot wounds. She succumbed to her injuries several hours later.

The Virginian-Pilot — which referred to Beard, 30, by her birth name and used male pronouns to describe her — reported trans sex workers are known to work in the area where the shooting took place".

dashad-smith_-239x300.jpgDashad-Smith2-265x300.jpg

Where is Dashad?
His g. mom comments follow m.p. report.

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/dashad-smith/
rbbm.
"Missing Since: 11/20/12
Missing From: Charlottesville Virginia
Classification: Endangered Missing
Age at Disappearance:19
Black Male
Height: 5’11
Weight: 130

Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black ( Long)
Clothing: Black jacket,dark grey sweatpants,black scarf, and grey boots.

Nickname: Sage"

Thanks for posting this article, very exciting to finally have some more information, hoping it will help to find Sage!
from the link..
rbbm.

"Police are now backing off of McFadden for several reasons: Investigators don't believe McFadden had the means to dispose of a body. "Phone records indicate that they may not have gotten together at all," said CPD Captain Gary Pleasants.

"Someone somewhere at some point in time saw Dashad that afternoon. Maybe they saw him walking up the street alone. Maybe they saw him walking with someone else. Maybe they saw him get into a car, or go into a building. That's the person we need to hear from," said CPD Chief Tim Longo.

Chief Longo is also publicly talking about raising the reward for information. "I would like to think it would be more than money, but you know in this case we're taking every step we can to persuade people," he stated.

"Any little thing, any little thing can help us. It's been three years and we're getting pretty desperate. I know I am, as a mother, I'm desperate to know where my baby is," said Latasha Grooms, Smith’s mother.

Police plan to be out in the area of West Main Street Friday, Nov. 20. They will be putting up missing person posters to generate new leads.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 434-977-4000.

A $20,000 reward is currently being offered in the case."

http://www.nbc29.com/story/30531309...e-offer-new-details-in-dashad-sage-smith-case

"Investigators working the case have released a new timeline of events from the night Smith vanished. Detectives say Smith left home to meet Erik McFadden at the Amtrak Train Station about 5:40 p.m. on November 20, 2012.

5:17 p.m. - Smith sends text message to Erik McFadden, “When r u leaving”
5:20 p.m. - McFadden replies, “I already did. I’m at the Hampton Inn.”
5:17 to 5:40 p.m. - Smith and McFadden exchange various text messages.
At approximately 5:40 PM Smith leaves his residence.
6:08 p.m. - McFadden sends text message to Smith, “Where u at?”
6:12 p.m. - McFadden sends text message to Smith, “I’m standing here where r u?”
6:18 to 6:37 p.m. - Smith talking on his phone with friend from Northern Virginia. Texts from McFadden come in during this time frame, but it is unknown if Smith read them.
6:27 p.m. - McFadden sends text message to Smith, “Bye u stood me up smh”
6:35 p.m. - Witness sees Smith walking on 4th Street NW. Smith stops and talks to witness at a bus stop in the 400 block of West Main Street. Smith tells witness he is going to meet someone at the Amtrak Station.
6:40 p.m. - Smith walks westbound on West Main Street.
7:00 p.m. - Unconfirmed account puts Smith alone at Wild Wing Café, which is next to the train state.

A separate witness said three “cross-dressers” were seen inside the restaurant that evening. No video was available to assist in identifying them or to verify Smith was there. Police also note that there is no one that saw Smith at the train station.

According to a witness, Smith was wearing grey and black rain boots with purple and pink lining, grey sweatpants, and a black jacket with a hoodie."
rbbm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back