VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It appears Bing Maps does have an actual "bird's eye view" aerial shot that is a bit different than their aerial view. In some areas you can spin around and get four different angles but they only have one of Caldwell Fields.

caldwell-1.jpg

caldwell-2.jpg

caldwell-3.jpg

I haven't listened to this since I'm at work but here's a video showing a tiny bit of Caldwell Fields while police were at the scene:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32592591/...ts/t/va-tech-students-found-slain-campground/

Here are four screen captures.

The first is the most distant but you can see the "Caldwell Fields" sign which is located at the parking lot entrance. Note two sheriff cars.

View attachment 65875

The second is a closer view. I assume that's an investigator's car just past the sign rather than David's? David's was blue but it's difficult to judge the color in this photo. It's dark, so possibly dark blue? When I let Photoshop perform "auto levels" on the side, the fender does take on a blue tint. Any opinions? I'd have thought the couple would have parked all the way down in the lot close to the field.

View attachment 65876

Third is an even closer view. I can see a bottle of water sitting on a fence post. I assume it belongs to the police.

View attachment 65877

Fourth is a view of a different area of the lot. At the bottom left corner you can see the trunk of one of the two sheriff cars, which I'm guessing is the one furthest from the lot (as seen in the first photo). You can compare the tree seen in this photo with the one in the first. The two vehicles in the lot are obviously parked a decent distance from the road.

View attachment 65878

The lot entrance is just before the sign as seen in this small photo from a different news story:

caldwell-8.jpg

And finally, a slightly different angle from another source:

caldwell-9.jpg

I notice that Google Street View goes most of the way from the highway to Caldwell Fields. It stops one mile short which is also where it appears the road changes from pavement to gravel. That rather suggest to me that people travelling to and from the New Castle area would probably take Route 42 rather than Craigs Creek Road. I think 42 is paved for the full distance. Caldwell Fields probably gets very little traffic except for the people that live on it. Thus, not just some random robber that happened to be driving past and spotted easy victims.

I notice that Google Street View goes most of the way from the highway to Caldwell Fields. It stops one mile short which is also where it appears the road changes from pavement to gravel. That rather suggest to me that people travelling to and from the New Castle area would probably take Route 42 rather than Craigs Creek Road. I think 42 is paved for the full distance. Caldwell Fields probably gets very little traffic except for the people that live on it. Thus, not just some random robber that happened to be driving past and spotted easy victims.

I agree John. I think whoever did this used a different way than entering Craigs Creek Road from 460 entrance.

Thanks for all the links and visuals. I couldn't get the attachments; 67875-67878 to open in your post #152.

In Mr. Pollock's article, the area where he was digging up the shells looks very close to the parking lot.

Thank you for reposting. Everything reported sounds as though Heidi was pretty close to the car? Always, David was found in the car and Heidi outside the car or on the ground...

Thank you for reposting. Everything reported sounds as though Heidi was pretty close to the car? Always, David was found in the car and Heidi outside the car or on the ground...

I get the feeling that David was shot through the driver's side window (pretty sure I've read that) and then Heidi tried to escape through the passenger door but didn't make it more than a couple of steps. I've even wondered if the first shot passed through David and wounded her, too. Is a 30-30 powerful enough for that to happen?

I get the feeling that David was shot through the driver's side window (pretty sure I've read that) and then Heidi tried to escape through the passenger door but didn't make it more than a couple of steps. I've even wondered if the first shot passed through David and wounded her, too. Is a 30-30 powerful enough for that to happen?

Yes, it is a powerful round and could pass through one person with enough velocity to wound a nearby person. IDK if that happened, but maybe.

I agree with the statement in the article that it is likely somebody familiar with the Caldwell Fields area. It's way off the main highway and another mile after that road turns to gravel/dirt. It's just not the sort of place people go driving after dark without a set destination. Also, it's just not the type of road I'd think people would use as a short-cut since it would probably slow down their drive.

Hmm, it makes me wonder a bit if perhaps a GPS unit would send people down that road if they were headed to New Castle (or south to the highway). Those devices have sent me down some silly routes in the past! I just asked Google Maps for directions from Pandapas Pond to New Castle and it took an entirely different route, so it knew better although Craig's Creek Road is the shortest and straightest route. Here's the link:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...5o5-yk7NEHfbKpNiDEXRrvI3q3Xlw&mra=ls&t=m&z=11

Route 621 is Craig's Creek Road.

I think too, that it was someone familiar with that particular area. I've often wondered if it's someone who camped and hunted there for long periods of time. Maybe, a nomad type that wanders from place to place and lives in areas like Caldwell Fields for a period of time and then moves on somewhere else.

As far as GPS and MapQuest, I know well that it can send you down some crazy, rough roads. The distance may be shorter but the roads can be a lot stretchier!

I stumbled upon this thread after doing a google search for this incident to see if there were any updates. I lived in Blacksburg at the time of these crimes and was a very active hiker in the regions surrounding Blacksburg and Roanoke. I have since left the area, but this crime struck a nerve with me and I have continued to follow it, albeit somewhat more loosely since time has passed. A couple things I may add:

Close friends of mine actually sat in this very location on the night before the murders were committed. One of which was in a Masters Program at the time at VT. His field of research was entymology and they drove out to this remote location to shine a large bright light to attract insects for collection and study. The only thing my friend recalled as being out of ordinary was that there was a truck which drove by the parking lot and paused for a moment. He didn't get a good look at the vehicle or its occupants. Its possible that whomever it was was just curious to see what my friends were doing out in the darkness w/a bright light or could it have been the killer out stalking for victims? If Heidi was sexually assaulted and this was the motivation for the crime on the following evening, the killer may have been deterred given both my friends are male...the police did pay a visit to my friends to interview them, but I don't think anything meaningful was recalled. If any of you have visited this location, you will probably agree that it doesn't seem likely that much travel passes through here late at night. IMO, ANY traffic out there late at night is suspect.

I encourage those interested in this case,if able to do so, pay a visit to this place. Its hard to appreciate it's remoteness without actually visiting it. The maps posted give an idea. I drove out there myself and could not believe how desolate it actually is. This was just a few days after the crime occurred and there was still fragments of shattered glass on the ground. I assume Metzler was shot through the window as many have speculated here. Caldwell Fields is a good distance off the paved road and seems very unlikely that someone is taking this route for a short cut or doesn't live out there. Some are speculating that the use of a high powered rifle would have alerted neighbors...I would venture to say that its possible that it may not have, given how far away the nearest houses are. This would have afforded the killer(s) (I personally believe its only one perpetrator) plenty of time. Even if someone had alerted LE, it would have taken at least 20 minutes or longer to get out there.

I attended the press conference given by local LE when they gave out the info re: weapon used, items stolen, DNA evidence, etc. I wondered if the killer himself might be there among the audience, getting off on the attention and curious to know what pieces of the puzzle they were going to reveal. I did not notice any shady characters, though its highly likely they weren't in attendance or even if they were that they seemed as normal as you or me...

A few years after the crime, I drove back out there, just to reflect and look around. Before reaching the fields, I encountered a car that had stopped in the road, and was actually turning around to head in the opposite direction as myself. I didn't think much of it at the time and didn't pay too much attention to the driver. He went in the opposite direction as me and that was that. However, once I reached the fields and the site of the murder, I was a little spooked for some reason. There was no one else there and something just didn't feel right (intuition?) so I decided to leave. As I was going to pull out of the parking lot, the same car I had encountered earlier slowly passed by me, this time, the driver was staring at me. It seemed a little odd, so I quickly pulled out and headed back out of there down the gravel road. Moments later in my rear view mirror, the same car had turned around again and was speeding up behind me at a high rate of speed. I was officially freaked out at this time, so I started hauling *advertiser censored* down that dirt road. The person behind me stayed in pursuit. There was no reason for them to be following me at that speed. I had no cell signal. After a good 5 minutes or so, he backed off and slowed down once I got back on paved road and was starting to pass by houses. I called the local police and reported it and the dispatcher sounded about as excited as if I had reported a rabbit hopping in the road. Could it have been the killer? Drug dealer? Amateur detective thinking I was suspicious? Who knows but it creeped me the hell out and I haven't been back since. It likely was nothing, but I post this because it proves the point that there could be strange/questionable activity going on out there.

Based on the scant evidence and what I know of the case, my thoughts...(based purely on speculation of course)
1. One perpetrator committed this crime, someone VERY familiar with this area and the motive was a thrill killing. Anything else, whether it be sexual assault or robbery, seems much less likely or an 'after the fact' kind of thing. I believe the personal belongings taken from Heidi were souvenirs for a deranged killer.
2. I believe they were killed soon after arriving and may have not even made it out of the car when they were attacked. I have not seen evidence suggesting they had built the fire which they had planned,though it has been released that it was a school night and that they didn't plan to stay long. It was likely already 8:30 or so once they arrived, seems unlikely they were killed much later than that...
3. I believe David was shot first through his drivers side window and that Heidi attempted to flee and was gunned down in the process. The use of a rifle is somewhat unusual as it would be difficult to conceal to approach the victims, though Metzler's body inside the car, may be indicative of someone impersonating law enforcement and he sat obediently in the car as they approached.
4. I believe that it was a crime of opportunity and simply wrong place, wrong time for the victims. I don't think its plausible that this was somehow a revenge killing, motivated against her father, or any kind of jealous ex thing. These were young, innocent, naive kids, super religious, had been dating for years...no enemies...there is no way that someone they knew did this. Also, it was a surprise date and David had only told one or two people where they were going that night.
5. The theory that the victims saw something they shouldn't have...given this location, its hard for me to imagine that major drug trafficking is going down there, especially if this place is popular throughout the school year w Tech students. What could they have witnessed? I'm not sure about this theory...
6. The DNA. I know that this was believed to be a dramatic break in the case and once this piece of information was released, many thought LE was hot on the trail and that it wouldn't be long before a suspect was apprehended. I wonder if the DNA evidence was just that...drama...something to keep the news story current and to spark fear into the perpetrator who may begin to act differently in the ways that the sheriff emphatically described to the public...this may be a stretch, but it wouldn't be the first time LE has resorted to dramatic techniques in crime solving to flush out potential suspects, until someone's altered behavior and paranoia catches someone's eye.
7. The lack of details released to the public...is it just procedural or is LE as stumped as they seem? I fear its the later...

Thoughts/ideas? Anyone have any more information on this case?

Great post dctrgreen and welcome to Websleuths! Thank you for sharing your insight and thoughts. I wish there was more info on the case. I check every week or so to see if anything new has been released or any progress in solving. Sadly, I think it's at a standstill and that investigators are stumped. I agree with all of your speculations listed above.

Your experience when you returned a few years later is spooky and alarming. Maybe, it was just a curious amateur or who knows even an unmarked police patrol, especially since when you reported it, the dispatcher wasn't alarmed. Maybe, he already knew who it was. Then again, who knows?

Quote:

6. The DNA. I know that this was believed to be a dramatic break in the case and once this piece of information was released, many thought LE was hot on the trail and that it wouldn't be long before a suspect was apprehended. I wonder if the DNA evidence was just that...drama...something to keep the news story current and to spark fear into the perpetrator who may begin to act differently in the ways that the sheriff emphatically described to the public...this may be a stretch, but it wouldn't be the first time LE has resorted to dramatic techniques in crime solving to flush out potential suspects, until someone's altered behavior and paranoia catches someone's eye.

I remember that this DNA is fingerprints. It makes me wonder if it's really the killer's or just unknown DNA found in the vehicle. I don't recall it ever having been mentioned what these fingerprints were collected from. If indeed there is DNA and it belongs to the killer, this article that I'm sharing about new DNA testing, Snapshot, could prove helpful. Since it doesn't provide age, perhaps, digital age progression could be applied to the image created. Like maybe, ten years over a twenty to thirty year period. Not sure just how it would work or even how accurate it would be. It is a new hope, though for more info maybe?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/19/new-dna-technique-could-put-face-on-unsolved-double-murder/

Dctgreen, I agree with all of your theory. I haven't driven out the road, but have been out similar ones to hike. Once you go far enough that they turn to gravel, there's not going to be much traffic.

A question. Where in the parking lot was the broken glass? I'd tend to guess the couple pulled far down in the lot for the view, unless they were "persuaded" otherwise for some unknown reason. Perhaps another car already deep in the lot or they were pulled over by a fake officer.

The broken glass was in the back of the lot, farthest from the road. I imagine they were parked in this spot overlooking the fields. At the time I visited, there was a small memorial placed by a local. It was close to that spot.

Just stumbled upon this thread and I must say it is quite puzzling. To find the park completely void of any other people besides this young couple and the killer I also find very strange.

I had seen a few posts of people referring to the murder weapon (.30-30 winchester rifle) as a .30 aught/odd 6. I just wanted to clarify that the .30-30 and the .30-06 are two different bullets for two different rifles.

.30-30 winchester - 7.62x51mmR. Common entry level big game rifle. Winchester model 94, lever action.

.30-06 Springfield - 7.62x63mm. This was our military ammunition during both world wars, Korean and Vietnam wars.
They both use a .308 diameter bullet but the .30-06 is loaded to much higher pressure.

I stumbled upon this thread after doing a google search for this incident to see if there were any updates. I lived in Blacksburg at the time of these crimes and was a very active hiker in the regions surrounding Blacksburg and Roanoke. I have since left the area, but this crime struck a nerve with me and I have continued to follow it, albeit somewhat more loosely since time has passed. A couple things I may add:

Close friends of mine actually sat in this very location on the night before the murders were committed. One of which was in a Masters Program at the time at VT. His field of research was entymology and they drove out to this remote location to shine a large bright light to attract insects for collection and study. The only thing my friend recalled as being out of ordinary was that there was a truck which drove by the parking lot and paused for a moment. He didn't get a good look at the vehicle or its occupants. Its possible that whomever it was was just curious to see what my friends were doing out in the darkness w/a bright light or could it have been the killer out stalking for victims? If Heidi was sexually assaulted and this was the motivation for the crime on the following evening, the killer may have been deterred given both my friends are male...the police did pay a visit to my friends to interview them, but I don't think anything meaningful was recalled. If any of you have visited this location, you will probably agree that it doesn't seem likely that much travel passes through here late at night. IMO, ANY traffic out there late at night is suspect.

I encourage those interested in this case,if able to do so, pay a visit to this place. Its hard to appreciate it's remoteness without actually visiting it. The maps posted give an idea. I drove out there myself and could not believe how desolate it actually is. This was just a few days after the crime occurred and there was still fragments of shattered glass on the ground. I assume Metzler was shot through the window as many have speculated here. Caldwell Fields is a good distance off the paved road and seems very unlikely that someone is taking this route for a short cut or doesn't live out there. Some are speculating that the use of a high powered rifle would have alerted neighbors...I would venture to say that its possible that it may not have, given how far away the nearest houses are. This would have afforded the killer(s) (I personally believe its only one perpetrator) plenty of time. Even if someone had alerted LE, it would have taken at least 20 minutes or longer to get out there.

I attended the press conference given by local LE when they gave out the info re: weapon used, items stolen, DNA evidence, etc. I wondered if the killer himself might be there among the audience, getting off on the attention and curious to know what pieces of the puzzle they were going to reveal. I did not notice any shady characters, though its highly likely they weren't in attendance or even if they were that they seemed as normal as you or me...

A few years after the crime, I drove back out there, just to reflect and look around. Before reaching the fields, I encountered a car that had stopped in the road, and was actually turning around to head in the opposite direction as myself. I didn't think much of it at the time and didn't pay too much attention to the driver. He went in the opposite direction as me and that was that. However, once I reached the fields and the site of the murder, I was a little spooked for some reason. There was no one else there and something just didn't feel right (intuition?) so I decided to leave. As I was going to pull out of the parking lot, the same car I had encountered earlier slowly passed by me, this time, the driver was staring at me. It seemed a little odd, so I quickly pulled out and headed back out of there down the gravel road. Moments later in my rear view mirror, the same car had turned around again and was speeding up behind me at a high rate of speed. I was officially freaked out at this time, so I started hauling *advertiser censored* down that dirt road. The person behind me stayed in pursuit. There was no reason for them to be following me at that speed. I had no cell signal. After a good 5 minutes or so, he backed off and slowed down once I got back on paved road and was starting to pass by houses. I called the local police and reported it and the dispatcher sounded about as excited as if I had reported a rabbit hopping in the road. Could it have been the killer? Drug dealer? Amateur detective thinking I was suspicious? Who knows but it creeped me the hell out and I haven't been back since. It likely was nothing, but I post this because it proves the point that there could be strange/questionable activity going on out there.

Based on the scant evidence and what I know of the case, my thoughts...(based purely on speculation of course)
1. One perpetrator committed this crime, someone VERY familiar with this area and the motive was a thrill killing. Anything else, whether it be sexual assault or robbery, seems much less likely or an 'after the fact' kind of thing. I believe the personal belongings taken from Heidi were souvenirs for a deranged killer.
2. I believe they were killed soon after arriving and may have not even made it out of the car when they were attacked. I have not seen evidence suggesting they had built the fire which they had planned,though it has been released that it was a school night and that they didn't plan to stay long. It was likely already 8:30 or so once they arrived, seems unlikely they were killed much later than that...
3. I believe David was shot first through his drivers side window and that Heidi attempted to flee and was gunned down in the process. The use of a rifle is somewhat unusual as it would be difficult to conceal to approach the victims, though Metzler's body inside the car, may be indicative of someone impersonating law enforcement and he sat obediently in the car as they approached.
4. I believe that it was a crime of opportunity and simply wrong place, wrong time for the victims. I don't think its plausible that this was somehow a revenge killing, motivated against her father, or any kind of jealous ex thing. These were young, innocent, naive kids, super religious, had been dating for years...no enemies...there is no way that someone they knew did this. Also, it was a surprise date and David had only told one or two people where they were going that night.
5. The theory that the victims saw something they shouldn't have...given this location, its hard for me to imagine that major drug trafficking is going down there, especially if this place is popular throughout the school year w Tech students. What could they have witnessed? I'm not sure about this theory...
7. The lack of details released to the public...is it just procedural or is LE as stumped as they seem? I fear its the later...

Thoughts/ideas? Anyone have any more information on this case?

Thank you for your post and welcome to Websleuths!

I have read a lot on this case and have pretty much come to the same conclusion as you on your theories of one killer and this was a thrill kill. I don't see any other plausible motive. Heidi's dad was a State Trooper, but revenge killings against family members of LE Officers are almost nonexistent. It happens on TV shows and in movies far more than real life. Besides, her father was a helicopter pilot with the State Police, so his interaction with the public was more than likely minimal.

They had been together for number of years, so there probably were no ex-boyfriend/girlfriends and even if there were, they would have had to stalk, find and isolate them in the location they were killed. The chances of that are also slim to none. They had no apparent enemies and as you mentioned, very few people even knew they were going there that evening. Also, as you stated the idea of them stumbling onto something such as a drug deal is far-fetched and as you indicated, what would they have stumbled onto? Drug dealers in real life-unlike the ones in the movies, probably would have run or simply driven away when a car entered the area. LE has not made public if she was sexually assaulted or not. Some on here have speculated that she was, but none of us really know. Regardless of the motive, this is a very tragic case with two young lives being snuffed out for no apparent reason. I believe the lack of motive and apparent randomness of this is why LE has not been able to find the killer.

My own theory is it was someone local or at least someone familiar with the area via hunting, a student or former student of Va Tech or Radford University, employment, or something that would have brought them to the area and for whatever reason, decided to go there that night and kill someone. Very tragic.

One final thought....Unless I am mistaken, there have been no other killings with similar circumstances in the area or anywhere close to the area since this one and I can't recall any other murders where that caliber rifle was used. MOO

Again, thank you for your great post.

Just stumbled upon this thread and I must say it is quite puzzling. To find the park completely void of any other people besides this young couple and the killer I also find very strange.

It's not what most people would call a park. It's way out a road that has little traffic. By that point, it's just gravel or dirt. It's just a parking lot overlooking a field. In the past, police say it was popular as a party spot but they'd been chasing them off. I'd tend to guess at night it became mostly a make-out spot. There's really nothing to do except build a little fire and watch fireflies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back