VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A good friend’s mother was murdered 36 years ago. After becoming a cold case, the perpetrator was recently identified through DNA found at the crime scene. He was identified through familial linkages by Parabon Labs. Until this new technology surfaced, solving the crime seemed hopeless...I sincerely hope that Virginia State police are utilizing this miraculous technology to give closure to the families.

A good friend’s mother was murdered 36 years ago. After becoming a cold case, the perpetrator was recently identified through DNA found at the crime scene. He was identified through familial linkages by Parabon Labs. Until this new technology surfaced, solving the crime seemed hopeless...I sincerely hope that Virginia State police are utilizing this miraculous technology to give closure to the families.

If DNA is what LE has beyond the type of weapon, the approach used by Parabon Labs would seem to be the next logical step. In less than 2 months it will be the 9 year mark and an arrest is long past due. If this was a serial killer one would think his DNA or at least MO would have shown up elsewhere and we've heard nothing of the kind from the local LE or LE in another part of the country. No hits on the DNA. Nothing in the tips. So hopefully LE will try this approach.

I suppose if there was a dna match, we would know and the Metzler/child’s case would be closed.

It’s strange that his type of attack is so common in the area. Sounds like a lot of psychopaths are inspired by the Colonial Parkway killer...

Coming up on the 9 year mark and no arrests or even a suspect in the news. I've sent emails to podcasters and those doing YouTube videos, but evidently this isn't sensational enough to get any interest from any of them.

A resident of Blacksburg and former LE, Lisa Gardner, maintains a Facebook page, "The Caldwell Fields Murders". It seems the A&E Network made contact with her back in January but apparently nothing came of it. I'm going to keep sending emails to podcasters to see if we can get something moving.

So, just checking in here on this case since I live in Roanoke, VA.

Any new developments, any person(s) of interest?

Currently, nothing. I can get more info, although not shocking developments, from the Facebook page. We're coming up on the 9 year mark, so it will be interesting to see if there is anything from LE and the media.

Here we are. The 9 year mark. Nothing from LE. Nothing from the media. Nothing from Virginia Tech. Tough to expect tips if the case is tucked away somewhere in a file and no publicity.

I wonder if the silence means LE thinks they know who did it, but they can't get enough evidence to prove it.

That has happened before.

Thanks for the reply I would look at Ralph Leon Jackson who was a suspect when he was arrested in 2010 for a double shooting in Virginia.

I heard him mentioned as a possible suspect in the Colonial Parkway Murders, but I highly doubt it. Christina Floyd gave him a very good fight and survived. Both Kathleen Thomas and Rebecca Dowski were athletes and there was evidence Thomas fought with the killer. I don't see Jackson taking on Thomas if he lost the fight with Floyd.

But the murder of Childs and Metzler....that's a different story. I can very well see him doing this. But he has been arrested and I believe they have his DNA. By now if it was a match to the DNA from the Childs/Metzler murders I believe we would have heard.

I heard him mentioned as a possible suspect in the Colonial Parkway Murders, but I highly doubt it. Christina Floyd gave him a very good fight and survived. Both Kathleen Thomas and Rebecca Dowski were athletes and there was evidence Thomas fought with the killer. I don't see Jackson taking on Thomas if he lost the fight with Floyd.

But the murder of Childs and Metzler....that's a different story. I can very well see him doing this. But he has been arrested and I believe they have his DNA. By now if it was a match to the DNA from the Childs/Metzler murders I believe we would have heard.

Thanks for your thoughts and reply. I have to say I still think Jackson is also the best Colonial Parkway Killer suspect. You have to think he was older in 2010 and you have to mess up sometime or your luck run out eventually. I believe he was a real life Michael Myers responsible for many crimes in Virginia and beyond. I believe there are DNA hits in CODIS but because of the scale of his crimes they are still being investigated and there is an institutional reluctance in the FBI to admit he ever existed. These are my thoughts and beliefs but I am pretty sure they are true. As I say thanks again for your input.

Thanks for your thoughts and reply. I have to say I still think Jackson is also the best Colonial Parkway Killer suspect. You have to think he was older in 2010 and you have to mess up sometime or your luck run out eventually. I believe he was a real life Michael Myers responsible for many crimes in Virginia and beyond. I believe there are DNA hits in CODIS but because of the scale of his crimes they are still being investigated and there is an institutional reluctance in the FBI to admit he ever existed. These are my thoughts and beliefs but I am pretty sure they are true. As I say thanks again for your input.

If the FBI ever gets off their butts and tests the hair found in Kathleen Thomas' hand for DNA maybe they can determine if Jackson was the Colonial Parkway Killer.

Like I say I might be wrong but there is a good clue in the names. Parkway Shooter and Colonial Parkway Killer and I live miles away:)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back