VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Lisa Lucas Gardner (who has "The Caldwell Fields Murders" Facebook page) revealed a few more details I had not known about the murders in her radio interview.
-David and Heidi were shot just about the time they arrived at Caldwell Fields.
-David had the window up on his side and was shot through the window. He was hit in the chest. (I thought the killer would have been behind them and shot David through the back glass.) This means they probably saw him park along side them prior to him shooting.
-Heidi was attempted to get away and was shot but not fatally and evidently had fallen outside the car. While either lying there or trying to crawl away the killer shot her in the face.
-The killer picked up his spent shell casings.

I've heard two different times in news articles as to when they left VA Tech for Caldwell Fields - 8:00 PM and 8:25 PM. It takes approximately 20-25 minutes to drive to the site, assuming no stops such as for gas. This means this killing occurred either 8:20 or 8:45, approximately. Sunset was 8:27 that day, so it wasn't really dark yet. And yet, I've heard nothing from LE or the media about gunshots and possible screams. Although gunshots would not have been considered unusual out there and Heidi may have been hit before she could even scream or yell. There were houses fairly close because they were found by a man who was out walking his dog that next morning. (Although, looking at it on Google the nearest houses appear to a mile to the west of Caldwell Fields.)

AUG 23, 2019
$100,000 reward to help solve decade-old cold case of teen murders
[...]

Heidi-David-at-the-beach.jpg

Heidi and David (Virginia State Police)

[...]

Police said a man walking his dog found the teens’ bodies early the next morning. According to Lt. Colonel Tim Lyon, Director of the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation, there are specific persons of interest related to this case.

“We have an extensive inventory of evidence collected from the scene,” said Lyon. “We have DNA and are working to take advantage of 10 years worth of technological and scientific advancements in DNA testing and criminal databases.”

[...]

Virginia State Police created a new website for the case, which can be found here. People can submit tips through the website and can remain anonymous if desired. Tips can also be received by phone at 540-375-9589

[...]

AUG 23, 2019
$100,000 reward to help solve decade-old cold case of teen murders
[...]

Heidi-David-at-the-beach.jpg

Heidi and David (Virginia State Police)

[...]

Police said a man walking his dog found the teens’ bodies early the next morning. According to Lt. Colonel Tim Lyon, Director of the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation, there are specific persons of interest related to this case.

“We have an extensive inventory of evidence collected from the scene,” said Lyon. “We have DNA and are working to take advantage of 10 years worth of technological and scientific advancements in DNA testing and criminal databases.”

[...]

Virginia State Police created a new website for the case, which can be found here. People can submit tips through the website and can remain anonymous if desired. Tips can also be received by phone at 540-375-9589

[...]
Excellent website within your link, re posting to bring it forward, thanks!
Virginia State Police | Unsolved – Childs-Metzler Investigation
"Tragedy on August 26, 2009
Tip Line : 540-375-9589"

$100,000 Reward"

"It was shortly after 8p.m. that Wednesday evening when 19-year-old David and 18-year-old Heidi arrived in the Caldwell Fields parking lot in David’s navy blue 1992 Toyota Camry.

The sun had just set and it was a typical warm August evening in the mountains of Montgomery County.

David had been to Caldwell Fields once before for a men’s Christian Retreat, and wanted Heidi to see for herself the beauty and tranquil setting that site of the Jefferson National Forest had to offer.

David had brought his guitar to play for them by the fire.

They weren’t even planning on staying out that late.

They never made it out of the car, before they were brutally attacked.

Heidi and David’s bodies were discovered early the next morning, August 27th, by a man walking his dogs at Caldwell Fields.

Two incredible young lives stolen…and countless other lives tragically impacted forever.

Help these families heal. Help us find those responsible.

Contact Us Now

$100,000 Reward"

“We have specific individuals we are interested in and pursuing related to this case,” Lt. Colonel Tim Lyon, director of the VSP Bureau of Criminal Investigation, said in a statement. “We have an extensive inventory of evidence collected from the scene and from vehicles seized during the course of the investigation. We have DNA, and are working to take advantage of 10 years-worth of technological and scientific advancements in DNA testing and criminal databases. We have new leads still coming in that we are pursuing. es.”
$100,000 reward offered by VSP for information in 2009 murder case

Even though there is DNA the suspect could always say he visited the site quite often and his DNA would be all over that place. They have a pretty good idea of who did it, but they don't have that magic "bullet" (no pun intended) to make an arrest yet. They probably need additional evidence (somebody snitching, Heidi's belongings in his possession, the murder weapon, etc.) to get that piece of crap off the streets.

Found this article this morning. It gives a description of the area. The road wasn’t paved in 2009. There are photos but I don’t know how to attach.

“It’s difficult to appreciate the remoteness of the area without visiting it. During the daytime, you can see a variety of wildflowers with the mountains in the background. A small creek runs behind the fields.

The road has very little traffic, sometimes only one car passes each hour. Drivers are cautious of the deer that often dart out onto the road.

Once the sun sets, the fields become silent except for the sound of crickets and bullfrogs. Headlights of approaching vehicles can be seen well before they pass the parking lot.”

‘It’s time to come forward’: $100k reward offered for information on brutal murder of ‘inseparable’ Virginia Tech couple

The arrest today was for a shoplifting charge, but there was another hint in there in that "the arrest warrant was connected to an unspecified ongoing investigation". I know they had a large police presence there so it was more than a shoplifting charge because you don't send an army of LEO's and shut down a road for that type of arrest. Could be something totally unrelated though. Time will tell.

Sounds like the arrest today was unrelated to the Caldwell Fields murders. A statement from the police:

SALEM, Va. - A Roanoke County man is facing charges following a search warrant executed at his residence early Thursday (Aug. 29) morning. Andrew Z. Ray, 36, was arrested and charged with one felony count of shoplifting and one felony county of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He is being held without bond at the Roanoke County Jail.

The search warrant was executed at approximately 7 a.m. at Ray's residence in the 4900 block of Keefer Road. Today's charges stem from an incident that occurred earlier this week at a retail store in Montgomery County.

The investigation remains ongoing at this time by state police, with the assistance of the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office.

Lisa Lucas Gardner (who has "The Caldwell Fields Murders" Facebook page) revealed a few more details I had not known about the murders in her radio interview.
-David and Heidi were shot just about the time they arrived at Caldwell Fields.
-David had the window up on his side and was shot through the window. He was hit in the chest. (I thought the killer would have been behind them and shot David through the back glass.) This means they probably saw him park along side them prior to him shooting.
-Heidi was attempted to get away and was shot but not fatally and evidently had fallen outside the car. While either lying there or trying to crawl away the killer shot her in the face.
-The killer picked up his spent shell casings.

I've heard two different times in news articles as to when they left VA Tech for Caldwell Fields - 8:00 PM and 8:25 PM. It takes approximately 20-25 minutes to drive to the site, assuming no stops such as for gas. This means this killing occurred either 8:20 or 8:45, approximately. Sunset was 8:27 that day, so it wasn't really dark yet. And yet, I've heard nothing from LE or the media about gunshots and possible screams. Although gunshots would not have been considered unusual out there and Heidi may have been hit before she could even scream or yell. There were houses fairly close because they were found by a man who was out walking his dog that next morning. (Although, looking at it on Google the nearest houses appear to a mile to the west of Caldwell Fields.)

I have spent a lot of time combing through the CFM facebook page today and to be honest, I would take anything Lisa Lucas Gardner says with a grain of salt. She seems to be a bit of a running joke with law enforcement in the area, and certainly not close enough to the case to be getting secret tips from the police. If it isn't in a news article (with sources) or from a police press conference/release, I wouldn't consider it fact/evidence. The rumor mill runs night and day about this case....

The arrest today was for a shoplifting charge, but there was another hint in there in that "the arrest warrant was connected to an unspecified ongoing investigation". I know they had a large police presence there so it was more than a shoplifting charge because you don't send an army of LEO's and shut down a road for that type of arrest. Could be something totally unrelated though. Time will tell.

Yea, there's more to this story that LE is sharing....Jmo

Large police presence remained for hours after Catawba man's arrest

Even after state police arrested Andrew Ray at a home on Keffer Road near the post office on Catawba Creek Road there was a strong police presence in the neighborhood for most of the day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back