VA VA - David Metzler, 19, & Heidi Childs, 18, fatally shot, Montgomery Co, 26 Aug 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was looking for any updates and I don't see anything in 2020. The 11 year mark is coming up and I don't really expect LE to put on a PC like they did last year - if they even do anything. I did find a poster that states there is a $100,000 reward available. I'm hoping there is someone that knows something and can really use the money!
122324242_1795475093937583_9036354379452096146_n.jpg
This billboard was recently put up on Rt. 460 not too far from the area of the murder.

Totally useless but I thought I'd throw it in. Craig Creek Road is also where Nicole Lovell was murdered in 2016. As I recall Natalie Keepers said she and David Eisenhauer had picked out a murder spot on that road. On the night of the murder, the road was too slick and he picked a location not so far out the road. It's always been my suspicion he planned to kill her at the same location as the Childs/Metzler murders. I'd guess he'd researched a bit and decided to use the same spot.

Another curiosity is the Henry Lee Lucas grew up on Craig Creek:

True Crime Blacksburg: The Henry Lee Lucas Story | The Pylon

Seung-Hui Cho, the student who committed the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007, seems to have practiced at the shooting range at the beginning of Craig Creek Road. His first victim did, too:

Va. Tech Shooter, Victim Linked to Gun Range

In 2011 a Virginia Tech police officer was killed by Ross Truett Ashley. According to one article, he practiced at the same range as Cho. So, maybe the same range?

More Details Emerge About Va. Tech Shooter

Last edited:
How about this as a possibility? Heidi and David had a campfire going and were sitting at it. Somebody quietly approached their vehicle and was taking Heidi's purse. The couple noticed and shouted, scaring the thief into going to his own vehicle. The couple got in their car but the thief was afraid of being turned in, so got out of his own car/truck and killed them. Thus the missing items which he had already taken.

I saw online that police supposedly came up with the timeframe for the murders based on cell records. If so, I'd guess they traced the pings on Heidi's phone to the site and again when it left. The killer may have gotten a ways down the road before thinking about the phone and turning it off.

In 2019 I had a conversation with a local woman who said she knows what happened. She didn’t have fine details, but she had circumstantial evidence. I provided that tip to LE as well as a screenshot.

I don’t know if anything ever came of it or if she was right about anything.

She said 2 men, local, might know what happened to them that night.

As I recall, there's a woman on Facebook who is former law enforcement. I think she stated that police know who was responsible. It seems like she said he was a drunk redneck type at the time of the murders. He's moved from the area, married, has children and is successful, now. If so, it sounds like they just don't have enough to go to trial. If there was DNA at the scene (wasn't it on a bullet cartridge?), he must have been able to explain it away enough that a jury could find reasonable doubt.

As I recall, there's a woman on Facebook who is former law enforcement. I think she stated that police know who was responsible. It seems like she said he was a drunk redneck type at the time of the murders. He's moved from the area, married, has children and is successful, now. If so, it sounds like they just don't have enough to go to trial. If there was DNA at the scene (wasn't it on a bullet cartridge?), he must have been able to explain it away enough that a jury could find reasonable doubt.

LG is not the same woman I’m talking about.

A few years after the murders the sheriff stated they had the killer's DNA. With the latest advances in DNA and family tracings I wonder why that hasn't been tried. Assuming the DNA profile obtained is of high enough quality.

A few years after the murders the sheriff stated they had the killer's DNA. With the latest advances in DNA and family tracings I wonder why that hasn't been tried. Assuming the DNA profile obtained is of high enough quality.

I've wondered about that, also. I do hope this killer is brought to justice very soon... it's been so long :(

Last year's news report (updated July 2020):

Heidi Childs' dad says DNA evidence is 'huge'

Checking the internet for any updates. Nothing. In 2 weeks we'll be at the 12 year mark. I don't know if we can expect to see anything. The lady who tried to keep the case alive moved out of the area, I believe.

I've attempted to start a private conversation with you. Not sure if you saw or not.

This case has always bothered me, random double murder of a young couple in a secluded area, callous indifference shown to the victims, with trophies taken from bears the earmarks of a extremely dangerous individual who is highly likely to repeat if not caught or killed .

The weapon of choice is interesting as well, as its primarily a hunting caliber, used for small to medium sized game,

2 things I ponder and would be of extreme importance, was this a weapon at hand, IE an impulsive act ? , or was he out "hunting" for victims?

Until more is released we cant be sure

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HEYN0W
Back