VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Social Media Push

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When looking through yearbooks remember that for various reasons, not every student's photo will be published in the book. So maybe also look for a "not pictured" list and scan for a Jason or a Jay?

Crud, I forgot about that. Hopefully it won't be a black square with a name next to it. :/

attachment.php

attachment.php

Waiting patiently for our Grateful Doe's name. It's too close now.

I like to think I'm waiting patiently, but refreshing the page every 5 minutes isn't too patient I guess. :/

Keep in mind the whole story ties back to the original myths and legends of "the grateful dead". A corpse is found by a traveler, left out because of an unpaid debt The traveler repays the debt or gives a proper burial then the spirit of the deceased returns to the traveler in the form of an animal and helps him in some way.

Full on philanthropy

Keep in mind the whole story ties back to the original myths and legends of "the grateful dead". A corpse is found by a traveler, left out because of an unpaid debt The traveler repays the debt or gives a proper burial then the spirit of the deceased returns to the traveler in the form of an animal and helps him in some way.

Full on philanthropy

The above is from PT not mine

I was just in Charleston for Christmas and sat around for 2 weeks without much to do. Cannot tell you guys how much I wish I were there right now instead. Usually there is nothing that can make me want to get back there so quickly but all I've thought about for the last few days is how I could've been driving up the coast trying to get eyes on Jason! This whole thing is hitting close to home (literally) and I'm sure my incessant Facebook messaging to old friends asking them to share has really weirded people out. :kick can: I'm glad you guys all exist and most of all I'm glad you guys care.

I have had heard from David Lohr, the author of The Huffington Post article. We have a direct line to him on this now, so, I guess we are in a wait and see regarding the Aunt contact. I am not letting this sit long though, just in case the Aunt is not legit, we need to keep the social media push going.

Also, I contacted the St. James Middle School on Sunday, I believe, due to the FB post from a lady who thought Jay/Jason sat near her in history class in the 1990's, everything lined up, it seemed. I requested that the school check their records and/or yearbooks, teachers, to see if they recognized him. I have NOT heard back from them.

Has anyone else heard back from St. James Middle School?

as mentioned before, 914 is a prefix for Summerville, SC/Conway County....so maybe all this time could it not have been an area code at all? Now that I think about it, cell phones weren't as widely used, and if the 2 girls knew Jay/Jason, just putting 914 would've made more sense than including an area code...

I think that the long term consensus has always been that the 914 was an exchange, rather than an area code.

This is my first post on WS, and I debated whether or not this information is helpful, but here it goes.

I saw the picture of GD when a friend shared it on FB. I thought she was posting old pictures from HS, because I am 95% certain I recognize this Jason as someone with whom I had mutual friends way back when. I cannot remember his last name; I’m not sure I ever knew it or would recognize it if I heard it.

I went to St. James Middle from 89-92 and Socastee High from 92-96. I have all of my SJMS yearbooks (I have attempted to included a picture of the title pages/cover), but a yearbook for only my freshman year at SHS. I have looked through all four books several times and did not find this Jason. I am reasonably sure I would have made his acquaintance around 92-93. Again, it was 20 years ago, and he was not in my primary group of friends.

I have seen Garden City mentioned, and that makes sense. Surfside Beach, Garden City, Murrell’s Inlet communities at that time all would have gone to SJMS/SHS. Also, when I lived there (1989-2003) the area was very transient. Students often came and went in the middle of the school year. Because there were several high schools in the area, if you moved one or two towns over, you may end up going to a different school. If a student started after picture day, they would not be in the yearbook. If he didn’t go to get his picture taken, he would not be in the yearbook. I am trying to remember the process for the portraits, and I think it was usually the first few weeks of school.

The Grand Strand area has grown tremendously since the early 1990s, and there are more schools now. I know that a lot of the administrators/teachers have moved around within the Horry County School District. It's been many years since I lived in that area, and I don't have many contacts there anymore. I have shared the image on FB and checked with my older brother (graduated SHS 1992), but haven't heard anything.

Yearbooks.jpg

:wagon: jdmae

I am so glad joining and sharing this info won the day over simply forgetting about the odd feeling of familiarity. Thank you.

*****NEW*****

I'm not sure who has seen this but it popped up on reddit about an hour ago. It's a post on Craigslist. I'm not sure if I am able to post the link because it includes a possible last name.

Here is a paraphrase:
Woman days she may know Grateful Doe, asking someone to contact her. Says his mother has been searching for him for years. Name is JAY C*** from Myrtle Beach.

Can I link? Yes? No? I'm running out to get my child from school right now so I can't contact the CL poster myself.

I understand CL is shifty and full of trolls but it's worth a look.

*****NEW*****

I'm not sure who has seen this but it popped up on reddit about an hour ago. It's a post on Craigslist. I'm not sure if I am able to post the link because it includes a possible last name.

Here is a paraphrase:
Woman days she may know Grateful Doe, asking someone to contact her. Says his mother has been searching for him for years. Name is JAY C*** from Myrtle Beach.

Can I link? Yes? No? I'm running out to get my child from school right now so I can't contact the CL poster myself.

I understand CL is shifty and full of trolls but it's worth a look.

I see the post you're referring to. This is very exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3