VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the idea is that they went in aggressively, and their POI is acting like a targeted person now and trying to protect himself...guilty or not. There are other ways to do this, we have seen it in other cases. LE chose this route, and now they have a POI that doesn't seem to want to talk to them and it is my belief it started with searching his car.

That is their job. When an 18 year old girl is missing, and police have a lead, they will pursue it.

I sure hope that JM wasn't surprised after seeing himself on video, knowing that he took her to Tempo, and that he left with her ... knowing that 18 year old girl vanished from the face of the earth after he was seen with her. Was he actually surprised that police found him? Did he really think that police would not eventually want to talk with him? Did he think that he would slip through the cracks because his grandmother loves him, he eats his greens, and apparently he knows how to find a church?

Why didn't he come forward immediately upon realizing that the girl he had drinks with on Friday was missing?

That's fine, but careless use of the term is problematic. It may be a euphemism for suspect to some, or mean something entirely different to others. I'd hope they want to avoid a 'trial by media' with this case. Considering how open they have been with a lot of information, that is worrisome.

The way I look at it is if JM is a POI it means they do not have enough evidence to single him out as a suspect, and that they are looking at other avenues that may lead to other POI's. If JM is categorized as a suspect, I take it to believe they have some sort of hard evidence against him, ruled out other possible POI's, and believe he is without a doubt involved in a crime.

That is their job. When an 18 year old girl is missing, and police have a lead, they will pursue it.

I sure hope that JM wasn't surprised after seeing himself on video, knowing that he took her to Tempo, and that he left with her ... knowing that 18 year old girl vanished from the face of the earth after he was seen with her. Was he actually surprised that police found him? Did he really think that police would not eventually want to talk with him? Did he think that he would slip through the cracks because his grandmother loves him, he eats his greens, and apparently he knows how to find a church?

Why didn't he come forward immediately upon realizing that the girl he had drinks with on Friday was missing?

Yes, that is their job. And JM has every right to not talk to them seeing how he clearly feels they are targeting him. And there is nothing to say he knew about the video, knew about her missing, any of it. What information do you have that says he just ignored everything and didn't go to the police beforehand?

So if the police are planning on using this to keep him jailed while they investigate they may be sorely disappointed. I imagine a good defense attorney would be all over this, starting with what Longo said and implied (and how he said it) regarding JLM and noting the truly vicious, racist and threatening comments made about JLM by others. From there it wouldn't be a leap to prove that JLM was fearful of those following ("Did you ever activate your sirens and lights, officer?").

This could well backfire on LE.

BBM

Who is making these racist comments? The cops can't control loons on the internet.

Wrong.
He very clearly stated (not Longo....the other cop) that they had video of them AFTER leaving Tempo.

What time was this video of them leaving tempo? They stopped giving us times after the video at 1:08 at the jewelers. Eye witness account says 15 minutes at tempo before they left- which would put them past 1:20AM when the last text was sent. The only other thought was it was way before that- even before she as followed by WG because he started following her at 1:06 when she past sals?

Newbie here. I think the number of guests may owe something to Hannah and her family's roots in the UK, a heritage she speaks of with pride on Twitter. I'm sure I'm not the only person rooting for this poor family from across the pond. Having watched the press conference, I have to say that - as a Brit - I was really impressed by the passion and conviction of the Police Chief, just as I am moved by the weight of numbers who turned out to search for Hannah this weekend. The insight and observation offered here is also as intelligent as it is informative. All I feel I can contribute is to reinforce the view that, from experience, Hannah may well have been looking for nothing more than a chance to use a bathroom when she tried to enter the pub and headed for the petrol station. 15 minutes isn't a long time to spend inside a bar but it's enough to empty your bladder. At eighteen, if I was desperate enough, I'd run around, appear 'distressed' and probably let almost anyone take me past security and into a place with a toilet. I'm really not sure Hannah's behaviour is relevant, other than that being young, drunk, lost and possibly bursting for the loo all amount to a high degree of vulnerability.

Welcome GeneverJ :)

:welcome:

Locals said it is a classier type of cocktail lounge with food served, I believe.
Technically there are no "bars" in VA. They are all restaurants. If they serve alcohol, they must serve food, and 45% (I think that's correct) of their sales must be for food.
Tempo was said to be an upscale restaurant.

BBM

Who is making these racist comments? The cops can't control loons on the internet.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing even though the reckless charge would be minimal, they can set a high bail or no bail based on the circumstances-clearly a flight risk and clearly a poi in a missing persons case. Jmo

http://abcnews.go.com/US/search-war...ginia-student-hannah-graham/story?id=25621541

The first warrant was a search and seizure warrant for a vehicle which was executed shortly after midnight. When police arrived at the apartment building and seized the car, a person connected to the car was in his apartment with two others. Police identified those individuals, but the officer did not feel he had the grounds to detain the individuals, Longo said.

After seizing the car and taking it to an undisclosed location for the full search, investigators developed probable cause and sought approvals for the two other warrants. Police arrived back at the apartment shortly after 10 a.m. and the three individuals were no longer inside, Longo said.

one would think they're be some type of conversation
who are you?
id
why are you here?
we're searching your car you were the last person seen with hg
yes, I had drinks with her....
never heard of her,who?......
I'm calling a lawyer......
say nothing,leave.....

turn up voluntarily a week later at the police station lawyerless, look for a lawyer, say nothing and loose the tail..?

My thoughts exactly. What a hunk of junk, especially/U] on the passenger side. What suburban, intelligent, rational person would get in there voluntarily?

There's something very safe and fluffy about a friendly bear of a guy with dreads and a quirky car though, isn't there? Especially if he coaches a kids' sports team, has dreads and has a reputation for being nice but dim? Maybe some of this IS cultural. Not from the perspective of JM's race but from Hannah's experience of spending so much time in the UK and as the child of British parents. He's exactly the kind of character I'd have taken a lift from at 18. I would have thought he was as safe as houses. The car, the not being the sharpest tool in the box, intellectually, the age difference and the whole 'gentle giant' thing would have just added to that sense of security for me.

There is no video. He said it himself. No other video except the 3 we have already seen.
Right. I distinctly remember seeing that there are no cameras inside or outside of Tempo, but don't ask me where I read it!

My thoughts exactly. What a hunk of junk, especially/U] on the passenger side. What suburban, intelligent, rational person would get in there voluntarily?
LOL

This made me laugh! My DD starts out with a decent looking car and in a year or two they look about like his. Right now she is driving a used neon in better shape then this guys because her car ,with the crushed front end where she hit a truck and smashed side where her b/f backed into the side of her , will no longer start with her tweezers....

These type of cases are tense when you don't have all the details. I wish I knew everything police know.

Too tired to look for the link, but IIRC, they left Temp 1:40 am?

What time was this video of them leaving tempo? They stopped giving us times after the video at 1:08 at the jewelers. Eye witness account says 15 minutes at tempo before they left- which would put them past 1:20AM when the last text was sent. The only other thought was it was way before that- even before she as followed by WG because he started following her at 1:06 when she past sals?

LOL

This made me laugh! My DD starts out with a decent looking car and in a year or two they look about like his. Right now she is driving a used neon in better shape then this guys because her car ,with the crushed front end where she hit a truck and smashed side where her b/f backed into the side of her , will not longer start with her tweezers....

JM does have multiple traffic violations. He is most likely a terrible driver.

Chief Longo from the press conference.

"And then she finds her way to second street and market right there next to Felini's restaurant....

An eyewitness saw her make that turn, she comes south bound on second street.

We know that because surveillance cameras tell us that, at least two. (the same two we have seen, Sal's and Tuel)

And in one of those images I thought it was a reflection but we look closer and see she is walking with a man.

I believe that man was Jesse Matthew. I really do.

I believe Jesse Matthew and Hannah found themselves at the Tempo Restaurant. I believe that.

Eyewitnesses told us so.

I believe Hannah left Felini's restaurtant with Jesse Matthew. (I think he misspoke and meant Tempo but JMO)

In fact I believe that Jesse Matthew was the last person Hannah was seen with before she vanished off the face of the earth.

"

Still no mention of the video from Tempo which I am still convinced does not exist despite the link Popsicle provided. Maybe I'm just being stubborn tho...

Yes, that is their job. And JM has every right to not talk to them seeing how he clearly feels they are targeting him. And there is nothing to say he knew about the video, knew about her missing, any of it. What information do you have that says he just ignored everything and didn't go to the police beforehand?

We all know that he was with Hannah on the night she vanished. We all know that there is proof that JM and Hannah were together after leaving the Tempo restaurant, where he bought alcohol. We all know that she was never seen again.

He has every right to speak with a lawyer, but it sounds like he's doing more than that. It sounds like he's attempting to flee, and may have successfully done so. What's he so afraid of? Why would a witness be terrified of giving police accurate and truthful information about his last interactions with a missing girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487