VA VA - Joan Cook, 45, Roanoke County, 24 Jan 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just want to post that I knew Joan for years. She was extremely sweet, loving and rather a "homebody". It has been over a year since I have talked with her, and about 16 months since I saw her, and apparently many things have happened in her life. I am saddened by the fact that she withdrew from so many people who care for her deeply. When I knew her she was not the kind to "take off" alone - she didn't even have a credit card and had hardly ever left the area. Her daughter was her LIFE and she was the prime caregiver-up until the past year I understand. I'm glad MC is taking care of things and pray for him to have the patience and energy to love and enjoy taking care of AC....with the help of loved ones. If she did leave at 11pm, where was she for 6 hours? It's not that long of a walk to the exit right off I-81 with 24hr fast food, stores. She wouldn't have stood and walked around on that cold windy night. Could she/would she really have jumped into a truck to escape life with no further contact? Not the Joan I knew.
If the text went to her bf/xbf -- where was he, what is his alibi? Does LE have pings from his phone? He seems to be quite the catalyst in her change in behavior this past year.
As to the post about exit 137....we have the report that she was at her daughter's home Sunday night, with a text a few miles away from her phone at 5am Monday, roughly exit 132. If the info is right and she was heading south, exit 137 is North..... There hasn't been a search off the Interstate or other roads in the area for anything? Please let me know if you do anything officially or unofficially - I can be an extra pair of eyes to help look. I will post flyers down 81 S as I travel to Abingdon area monthly.

I just want to post that I knew Joan for years. She was extremely sweet, loving and rather a "homebody". It has been over a year since I have talked with her, and about 16 months since I saw her, and apparently many things have happened in her life. I am saddened by the fact that she withdrew from so many people who care for her deeply. When I knew her she was not the kind to "take off" alone - she didn't even have a credit card and had hardly ever left the area. Her daughter was her LIFE and she was the prime caregiver-up until the past year I understand. I'm glad MC is taking care of things and pray for him to have the patience and energy to love and enjoy taking care of AC....with the help of loved ones. If she did leave at 11pm, where was she for 6 hours? It's not that long of a walk to the exit right off I-81 with 24hr fast food, stores. She wouldn't have stood and walked around on that cold windy night. Could she/would she really have jumped into a truck to escape life with no further contact? Not the Joan I knew.
If the text went to her bf/xbf -- where was he, what is his alibi? Does LE have pings from his phone? He seems to be quite the catalyst in her change in behavior this past year.
As to the post about exit 137....we have the report that she was at her daughter's home Sunday night, with a text a few miles away from her phone at 5am Monday, roughly exit 132. If the info is right and she was heading south, exit 137 is North..... There hasn't been a search off the Interstate or other roads in the area for anything? Please let me know if you do anything officially or unofficially - I can be an extra pair of eyes to help look. I will post flyers down 81 S as I travel to Abingdon area monthly.

Thanks for your post. It's beginning to sound to me like something has happened to her :(

There has been NOTHING since that single news report a month after she went missing. What the heck is going on?

*Respectfully snipped*

II'm glad MC is taking care of things and pray for him to have the patience and energy to love and enjoy taking care of AC....with the help of loved ones.

Doughgirl - Thank you so much for your perspective of Joan.

I have one question, if I may. You reference Joan's husband as being MC. Maybe I've been led in the wrong direction. Is it possible his initials are WMC?

Like you, I just don't see Joan being out at 11 PM in the weather walking any length of distance - even though as you pointed out - it's not too far to Wildwood Road intersection.

I'm guessing about 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the house she left from to W. Main and then about 1/3 mile to Wildwood Road then another 1/3 to 1/2 mile to the Interstate interchange. Even taking a "short cut" up beside Arby's and behind Shoney's and Omelette Shoppe still doesn't cut off much of that walk.

I think someone had to be waiting for her - but where exactly. Was the exbf not really an ex? Had they just had a spat? What made someone think he was an ex (stated earlier in thread) if this was who Joan was probably going to meet when she left the residence?

WMC may very well be his full name?...
I am not in direct, constant contact with her family members so I'll comment on the things that are already on this blog. I do not have all the facts. I am unsure on the whole bf thing.... the previous info about the bf "dumping her" came from her husband's sister (I don't believe Joan ever got divorced??? -- my sister didn't either for years because she didn't have the money, but they lived separate lives) But anyhow, you're right on the path to I81 exit - but I doubt she'd have walked to the Interstate intersection -- if so she would have been there in no more than an hour of walking, probably less and we have reports of a text at 5am from that area. I would think someone picked her up or she went to an all night restaurant/store if someone wasn't picking her up --- but then why did she leave the house in the first place? She had her phone, she could have called a friend or her bf/xbf. As of a few weeks ago I know the family was completely supporting the husband and did not have any suspicions - I guess it's still so. I will try not to discuss any talk that I've heard as I would leave that to her family to divulge. Having not been in contact with her for so long, I feel like an outsider with no rights to question or ask for info....but I do want answers, I want to know that all is being done, esp with all the disappearances in swva. I see that someone is on here stating to be Joan's family member. Do they think she would take off without a ride or place to be at 11pm on a Sunday....and was the 5am text sent to the bf/xbf as stated on this or another site? Was that the last time her cell was ever used? Is it likely to have been dumped on the side of the road? The snow has finally melted - is anyone looking? Is it an impossible task?

Going through court records I can find no divorce for her and WMC - However there appear to be 3 different WMC's in court records - all with different birthdates.

Neither Joan has nothing that I can find - not even any traffic citations. He only the minor things. However one thing that stood out was a judgment back in May of '09. He was served, but court documents have the notation of Joan was not served/not found.

Maybe this was around the time she began taking off? IDK. But that would go along with what has been stated - that this behavior started about a year ago.

I personally don't understand why a search hasn't been organized. We have 2 places to start - the home and where her cell phone last pinged and the area in between. While it would be a hard task it wouldn't be an impossible one.

I wonder if anyone has been in the Omelette Shoppe (open 24 hrs) to see if she was in there passing time or if someone picked her up from there. There are lots of regulars who are in there at all times of the day and night and perhaps someone did see her in the restaurant or walking by.

There's always the possibility that she wasn't the one who did the texting.

I just have a bad feeling about this.

I agree Unfortunately, with no further information from LE and no searches, I have to think they are thinking she left. I mean that's what it "seems to be"

Her husband, as the last known person to see her, says she left on foot at 11pm. He assumes (or she told him) somebody is picking her up, as in the past.
Nobody has said they had plans to pick her up or see her (hence the delay in reporting her absence)
6 hrs later a text from near I81 to bf/xbf at 5 am from her cell phone.....Did he not try to reply - Wasn't she living with him during the week? did he not talk with her or expect to see her all week because he was no longer with her?... "dumped her" per sister in law
Nothing else.
Seems to me the possibilities are -
foul play with the look like she ran away or
she really did run away or
she was in the wrong place at the wrong time near an Interstate

I know life was caving down on her and that leaves open the possibility that she left, but really? Well I hope so. She has a daughter that loves her and a family that loves and is missing her.

I find it really hinky that she was last seen at 11 PM. Seems like an odd time to me to be leaving on a night that was windy, rainy and downright cold.

One poster made reference that Joan had to be coaxed to stay until her daughter went to bed. A 7 yr old not going to bed until 11 or shortly before? Why would a 7 yr old be allowed to stay up that late?

I'm sorry, but to me, this whole situation is odd. With there not seeming to be any kind of follow up by media, no searches organized by LE or family - seems that not too many in the family are not being pro-active in finding Joan or in finding out what happened to her - at least not as proactive as I would hope

Several of us have given suggestions to the family about what to do and who to contact. We can help back them up by flooding the media and participating in a search, but we really can't do much else to help them.

That is why I'm so glad Doughgirl that you have come on here and are giving us a glimpse into Joan's life. Your posts are sensible and caring. Do you have any idea of what the day/time was when the report was made to LE about Joan being missing?

Yes - THANKFULLY there will be at least a helicopter search tomorrow!!!

Where to begin??? Hmmm. There are so many posts that have questions that I will try to cover them all.

Joan regularly visited her daughter every other weekend. She didn't leave the home until after 11pm on Sundays because her husband didn't want to deal with a 7 year old crying at the door if her mommy left earlier in the day. As to why a 7 year old was up until 11pm....she's 7 and loves her mommy. She tried to milk every minute she had with her mommy. Who can blame her...she worshipped her mommy.

The reason there was a 5 day delay in being reported missing: She ALWAYS left on Sundays and was picked up by the BF. He was out of town at the time and they did NOT have a spat (that I know of) and he wasn't supposed to pick her up until Jan 29. She left on the 24th. WHY??? Don't know. They were NOT broke up...she was NOT dumped. Everyone....friends and family ASSUMED that the BF picked her up like usual. The BF is the one that "pulled the alarm" when he couldn't find her on the 29th. She was reported to local POLICE on the 29th and a formal missing persons report was made on the 31st.

I have dealt with the local police detectives and have been finding it very frustrating. No cell phone records, email records have been received due to the records are kept out of state and our local dept does NOT have jurisdiction. So the ONLY things that have been done are two extensive interviews. One with the husband. One with the BF. Supposedly there was going to be a "flyover" today...haven't heard any results to that. The only way to get cell phone records is to get a police dept in the state where the records are kept to cooperate and "do the work for Roanoke County". Are you all frustrated yet?

I think to myself sometimes that there is NO WAY in heck she would just leave her daughter. Her daughter is the only reason she still had contact with her husband. Had she been able to take her daughter with her when she was with the BF she would've never had contact with the husband. That was her goal. Was to have custody of her daughter and be with the man she loved (the BF). That scenario didn't work out as he refused to have his daughter around a man when he was still married to her.

The family has supported the husband....we've known him for 24 years. I have doubts about some things...which I won't go into...but I'm not oblivious to the fact that he was the last person to see her. I truly believe that the BF had NOTHING to do with this. I truly believe the husband had nothing to do with it either. However, we've all heard those stories where the family was "snowed".

As far as what else I can do???? I have no idea. Without cell phone records, email records it makes it hard to start a search party. Where do you begin? I know normally you would start in the last place seen....but that's at her home. I've been there numerous times since she went missing and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

To anyone who doubts that Joan's family is concerned......WE ARE COMPLETELY CONCERNED. It's the first thing I think of in the morning, the thing I talk about during the day and the last thing I think of before bed. Me and my family have great support from friends and family and now we have the media. Hopefully some leads will come from the news coverage yesterday.

Thanks for all of your prayers.

Where to begin??? Hmmm. There are so many posts that have questions that I will try to cover them all.

Joan regularly visited her daughter every other weekend. She didn't leave the home until after 11pm on Sundays because her husband didn't want to deal with a 7 year old crying at the door if her mommy left earlier in the day. As to why a 7 year old was up until 11pm....she's 7 and loves her mommy. She tried to milk every minute she had with her mommy. Who can blame her...she worshipped her mommy.

Sorry if I seemed harsh about the child staying up until 11 PM. I fully understand the situation now and can see why her daughter wouldn't want to go to bed.

The reason there was a 5 day delay in being reported missing: She ALWAYS left on Sundays and was picked up by the BF. He was out of town at the time and they did NOT have a spat (that I know of) and he wasn't supposed to pick her up until Jan 29. She left on the 24th. WHY??? Don't know. They were NOT broke up...she was NOT dumped. Everyone....friends and family ASSUMED that the BF picked her up like usual. The BF is the one that "pulled the alarm" when he couldn't find her on the 29th. She was reported to local POLICE on the 29th and a formal missing persons report was made on the 31st.

BF is out of town. I'm guessing you all do not know if there was any texting/calls between them while he was gone?

I have dealt with the local police detectives and have been finding it very frustrating. No cell phone records, email records have been received due to the records are kept out of state and our local dept does NOT have jurisdiction. So the ONLY things that have been done are two extensive interviews. One with the husband. One with the BF. Supposedly there was going to be a "flyover" today...haven't heard any results to that. The only way to get cell phone records is to get a police dept in the state where the records are kept to cooperate and "do the work for Roanoke County". Are you all frustrated yet?

Yes, I am more than frustrated with what seems to be the lack of interest with LE and with local media.

I think to myself sometimes that there is NO WAY in heck she would just leave her daughter. Her daughter is the only reason she still had contact with her husband. Had she been able to take her daughter with her when she was with the BF she would've never had contact with the husband. That was her goal. Was to have custody of her daughter and be with the man she loved (the BF). That scenario didn't work out as he refused to have his daughter around a man when he was still married to her.

The family has supported the husband....we've known him for 24 years. I have doubts about some things...which I won't go into...but I'm not oblivious to the fact that he was the last person to see her. I truly believe that the BF had NOTHING to do with this. I truly believe the husband had nothing to do with it either. However, we've all heard those stories where the family was "snowed".

I find this situation terribly hinky...(a word you will see used quite often here on WS). I'll tell you why, now that you've added another perspective to this situation.

Of course this is JMHO

BF is gone and Joan knew her BF was going to be gone and she wouldn't be seeing him until the 29th. Did WMC know this as well? Did he know he had time on his side? Was he tired of Joan's behavior?

Where was Joan going to be staying while the BF was gone? Did she have access to the BF's house? If she did, how was she going to get there or how was she going to get where she was staying? Did she have an overnight bag/duffle bag or something she was carrying extra clothing in?

Of course you may not know the answers to some of these questions, but wanted to put it out there in case you or someone else did know.

As far as what else I can do???? I have no idea. Without cell phone records, email records it makes it hard to start a search party. Where do you begin? I know normally you would start in the last place seen....but that's at her home. I've been there numerous times since she went missing and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

As far as cell and email records - you may not be able to get them, but LE sure can. Whether they make those available to you or not is another story. However - you may want to talk to some of the search organizations like Laura Recovery Center and Texas Equuisearch and there are others too I believe.

To anyone who doubts that Joan's family is concerned......WE ARE COMPLETELY CONCERNED. It's the first thing I think of in the morning, the thing I talk about during the day and the last thing I think of before bed. Me and my family have great support from friends and family and now we have the media. Hopefully some leads will come from the news coverage yesterday.

Joan and the family are certainly in prayers and hopeful for Joan to be found safe.

In regards to the bags, this poster is pretty specific.

http://www.projectjason.org/aan/AAN_JoanCook.pdf

The woman I saw on the Exit 137 south ramp also had multiple bags. I really believe the woman I saw was Joan.

There are two things confusing to me. Based on most of the posts, she left at night. I saw the lady who I believe to be Joan at Exit 137 during the daylight. Based on my travel patterns (at work during the week), I think it is most likely that I saw her on the afternoon of the Jan 24th, but it could have been some other day, but again, highly likely it was on a weekend. It could have also been the weekend of the 30th or 31st.

The other thing that is mentioned is the "3rd Salem Exit". My understanding is that the labeled Salem exits are 141, 140 and 137. Exit 132 is really not a Salem exit (Dixie Caverns), but it is 6 miles south of her house. Probably just a descriptive error on part of LE.

My best hopes are with her family.

Thanks for the post, it answers a lot of questions about this case.

You say she came to visit... so she didn't live there? Did she live with the BF or on her own? During that weekend visitation, did she sleep over at the home? She allegedly left on foot. How did she arrive at the home for visitations? Did she drive herself or did someone take her there?

I think MB asks some excellent questions above. Of course Joan knew he was out of town.

I have dealt with the local police detectives and have been finding it very frustrating. No cell phone records, email records have been received due to the records are kept out of state and our local dept does NOT have jurisdiction.
If the local police are telling you they have no way to obtain those records, then God help us all. That is total bs.

So the ONLY things that have been done are two extensive interviews. One with the husband. One with the BF. Supposedly there was going to be a "flyover" today...haven't heard any results to that. The only way to get cell phone records is to get a police dept in the state where the records are kept to cooperate and "do the work for Roanoke County". Are you all frustrated yet?
Seriously. And I am seriously worried.

Listen to yourself. What does this tell you?

Contact those listed in MB's post. Consult with a local attorney as to how to get the state police involved and put a fire under local PD *advertiser censored*.

I'm truly sorry for what you're going through. You're in my prayers.

I find this situation terribly hinky...(a word you will see used quite often here on WS). I'll tell you why, now that you've added another perspective to this situation.

Of course this is JMHO

BF is gone and Joan knew her BF was going to be gone and she wouldn't be seeing him until the 29th. Did WMC know this as well? Did he know he had time on his side? Was he tired of Joan's behavior?

Where was Joan going to be staying while the BF was gone? Did she have access to the BF's house? If she did, how was she going to get there or how was she going to get where she was staying? Did she have an overnight bag/duffle bag or something she was carrying extra clothing in?

Of course you may not know the answers to some of these questions, but wanted to put it out there in case you or someone else did know.

Good questions.

I'd like to know if they were in the process of getting a divorce and if so, who filed?

The report didn't state she was carrying anything with her when she left. If she was going to meet the boyfriend, leaving as she normally did late in the evening on Sunday night and presumedly not coming back for two weeks, did she have her things with her? What did she normally bring with her on those weekend visits? How did she spend her time while there? Did she and her husband maintain any contact between those visits?

Besides Joan's BF, who did she hang out with? She's bound to have had at least one girlfriend. If the BF was out of town who would Joan have gotten a ride with?

Where are Joan's belongings located? In her family home or elsewhere?

Did Joan have friends in the neighborhood? Has the neighborhood been canvassed to see if anyone saw her walking or if someone saw her being picked up?

That convenience store at the entrance of the neighborhood - is there security cams that may have picked her up? Is there any shortcuts from that neighborhood that she could have taken instead of walking the main street out of the neighborhood down to W. Main?

Has Roanoke Co. brought in dogs to try and track her trail?

Now that we know the BF was out of town, and they had plans to meet when he returned, I don't believe she just wandered away in that cold miserable night.

The last contact with her was a text message received at 5am on January 25th.

Sister-in-law states on this thread that the last message was "I love you" to the boyfriend.

Yet.

dr0915 says LE hasn't obtained any phone or email records. dr0915 seems a bit more credible and considerably closer to the investigation than sister-in-law. She also contradicts a number of comments made by sister-in-law.

So I have to wonder.

How is it that sister-in-law knows what was contained within that last text message and who received it? I just looked back on some missing persons sites; nothing that detailed about her last contact.

So. Who is feeding sister-in-law her information... and why?

Just noticed this. The local news sites didn't mention any items taken with her http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/236650 .

But in her 'project jason' profile:

Name: Joan Cook

Date of Birth: 02/02/1965
Date Missing: 01/31/2010
Age at time of disappearance: 44
City Missing From: Salem
State Missing From: VA
Race: White
Height: 5 ft 6 in
Weight: 120 pounds
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Complexion: Light

Identifying Characteristics: She has a tattoo on her lower back of a frog, and one on her ankle of a bracelet with flowers.

Clothing: Blue jeans, red sweater, Timberland shoes and black jacket. She also had a green duffel bag, a beige toiletries bag and a purse.

Jewelry: Unknown

Medical Conditions: Joan has a medical condition and needs medication.

Circumstances of Disappearance: She was last seen in Salem, VA at a residence on Elderwood Rd. She left that residence on foot at around 11pm. The last contact with her was a text message received at 5am on January 25th. At that time, according to cell phone records, she was about 6 miles away on the 3rd Salem exit going South on I-81 in VA.

Investigative Agency: Roanoke County, VA
Agency Phone: (540) 777-8636
Investigative Case #: 10-006277

No woman is going to slog around in the middle of the night in that weather carrying all that. And certainly without being noticed. Wonder if any swing-shifters saw anything? If she was on the main streets in Salem (and then the interstate), someone would have seen her.

Just noticed this. The local news sites didn't mention any items taken with her http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/236650 .

But in her 'project jason' profile:

No woman is going to slog around in the middle of the night in that weather carrying all that. And certainly without being noticed. Wonder if any swing-shifters saw anything? If she was on the main streets in Salem (and then the interstate), someone would have seen her.

She definitely would have stuck out like a sore thumb in Salem. If she'd been in Roanoke...probably not...but not Salem. Salemites are known for taking notice of things that seem to be out of place.

The intersection of W. Main and Wildwood road ALWAYS has traffic. (Wildwood road is where the entrances/exits are for I-81) and shortly past this intersection (on W. Main) is a large Wal-Mart that is ALWAYS busy. On Wildwood there is a restaurant called the Omelette Shoppe (OS for the locals) which is very similar to a Waffle House. It is open 24 hours a day and there is ALWAYS someone in there - Not to mention the gas station across from OS.

My point - this is a "happening" intersection - that is IF Joan walked in this direction, which would make more sense than going further West on W. Main - where there is not too much going on except traffic and someone should have seen her.

Let me try to answer the newest questions. I'll try to remember them all. I am MUCH closer to the investigation than sisterinlaw. I call the detectives regularly because she is my sister. Sisterinlaw got her information from the husband (her brother). That's as far as I will go with that situation.

She left on the 24th and her last text message receivd (at 5am on the 25th) was from the BF that said "I miss you". She texted him back "I love you". This is from the BF and has been verified by LE. He physically showed LE his phone. He was out of town....and she never returned any of his calls or texts that week. He was supposed to hook up with her on the 29th.

She carried with her when she left (according to the husband) a green duffle bag, a cream colored "bathroom" bag (hairdryer, lotions, etc) and a purse. LE was able to ping her last location within two miles of the Holiday Inn at the third Salem exit. If you look on the web you can see that her home is located exactly one mile from that point.

She didn't have a car. The husband would pick her up from work when she wanted to spend the weekend with her daughter. Or...she had a friend that would pick her ujp and take her to the home. She did NOT live in the home. She and the BF stayed together in motels as he had recently had to move from his own home. She carried the above bags with her when she arrived at the home and would carry those same bags with her when she left the home. She did NOT have much interaction with the husband. She slept with her daughter in the daughter's bed. And yes, you can imagine...the husband was quite tired of all that had been going on.

I have contacted Texas Equusearch and haven't gotten a response yet. I looked at Laura's Recovery but they were more geared towards missing children (from what I remember). The NAMPN and JasonProject items are sites that I was successful so far in placing Joan's case.

Still haven't heard about the "flyover". Will be making contact with the detective here shortly.

Thanks to all.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back