VA VA - Joan Cook, 45, Roanoke County, 24 Jan 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess to be fair, the RCPD might be playing Columbo, acting all clueless and stuff so as not to tip their hand in the investigation. I pray that is the case. Seems they suspect something is amiss if they obtained a warrant for the computer files, so saying they are unable to obtain other records makes no sense at all.

Yeah...let's hope there is something they know and it's being played close to the vest. I just don't understand this at all...

Wow -- thanks for all the calls and information. I know the sister and family must be getting frustrated. I know that I would not know what to do and believe most people trust that the police are doing everything for you. But their opinion doesn't necessarily match up with yours.
With stepped up pressure from the family today, the news program last week, etc., perhaps we can get some more action here.
I sent several requests for more information and reporting to the local news in Roanoke. One reporter replied to my questions that the police have told her that there was a canine search done not long after her disappearance resulting in little insight.

I keep coming back to this. What does it mean it was told to him?

I have visions of the cop calling Mr. Husband and saying, "Hey bud! Guess what?"

Please tell me when Mr. Husband was told of this it was when they knocked on his door and showed him the order as they carted off the computer.

The FBI agent in Richmond said they don't get involved in anything like this unless the local police ask for their help. Unless you suspect there is corruption at the local level.

Just sayin'...

Oh my goodness yes. Please don't say they alerted him to this and have not taken the computer yet!!

Well, I'd like dr to clarify whose computer was being searched. She said Joan didn't have a permanent address yet, so it sounds like it would be husband's... but I guess she could have a laptop.

In either case, I hope they took the computer, whether hubby's or Joan's, when they advised him so no possible evidence could be destroyed :(

Yes, I hope and pray they are "playing dumb" and they are doing more than it seems

You all have been busy! I thank you very much. The computer records being searched are Joan's WORK computer records. She did not have a personal computer or laptop. She had full internet access at work and that is the only way she would've been able to do any internet searches, connecting with friends, emails, etc.

The "fly-over" was done last Wednesday and yielded nothing.

Here is the email I received from the detective and sergeant regarding the records/court orders/flyover.

Mrs. Byer,
I have spoken with Mr. Cook and did advise him that I had obtained two search warrants for email records. The search warrants have been sent to the companies and I am currently awaiting a response. I spoke with Virginia State Police on Sunday, March 15th. They did a flyover of the area, of which I witnessed the event. I then received another call from the Virginia State Police advising that nothing suspicious was located. I hope the bill gets passed. Dale

Detective Dale Clark
Roanoke County Police
Criminal Investigations Division
5925 Cove Road
Roanoke, Virginia 24019
(540) 777-8636 - office
(540) 777-9767- fax
dclark@roanokecountyva.gov

As you can see .....the information I get is limited with NO details without a follow-up email. The detective is currently sending all of my emails/phone calls to his superior.

Thanks again to all.

A fly over - I can't believe they didn't go into detail about where they flew and how long they were looking... Did they make one pass or two or did they come into the area from every direction? Did they fly around the house and did the fly around where her last cell phone ping was?

Why is he awaiting a response from the company on a search warrant??? That makes no sense to me... A search warrant gives LE immediate search and/or seizure. I'm assuming Joan's job was local?

I would be camping out on the Sgt's desk every day...and tapping a pen on his desk driving him crazy until he got me some answers...and when I wasn't there his phone would be ringing...

Was there a computer in the home of her husband? Could she have had access there? If there's is one in the house and nothing to hide the husband should be willingly allowing LE access to it.

LE needs to get very creative... Joan had been residing in that house - her name is on the deed per GIS - in effect that is HER residence as well. And she was still in effect residing there on weekend visits... Has LE searched this house?

Sounds to me that they have decided that their point of contact in this case is MC and the sister is not getting a lot of information.
Honestly, I just want to see more effort by LE in making the public aware -- more calls for help - her face in media outlets. Somebody saw her, but they need to be aware she is missing. I was in Christiansburg and Salem yesterday. It amazes me that I never really realized that there are many places unwilling to hang a missing poster....no board, can't hang it per management, etc. And I'm including the I81 reststop. I'm sure LE has investigated and atleast gone to the businesses between 11:30pm and 5:00am in that area. Also, I still want to know for sure if LE HAS or does NOT HAVE the actual cell phone records from that day. I'm assuming yes, because they have that ping? I am not familiar enough with what they need for that.
Ugghh.

The husband is computer illiterate. Doesn't even know how to cut one on. So he DOES NOT have a computer. Joan didn't have one either. The only one she had access to was the one at work. And yes, she worked locally. Within 10-15 miles of her home. Yes, the home the husband lives in is still Joan's house. Her name is still on the deed, loan, etc. Her mailing address is still listed as the house....so nothing has changed with that. LE did a search of the home which consisted of looking in all the rooms, closets, etc. Nothing was seized from the home...just the basic look around was done.

MC only got the latest information bc he called the detective 3 times. the husband didn't even have the information of the flyover results. The ONLY information I was given about the flyover was detailed in the email I attached in an earlier post. Mr. Detective has yet to return my mother's phone calls. Frustrating? Absolutely.

The cell phone records have NOT been pulled. They are stored in CA. Roanoke County has no jurisdiction....so they have to contact LE in CA to get someone there to "do the work for them". IE...get a court order to access the records and then give that information to Roanoke County. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. But what can I do?

The only way they were able to access her cell phone and find out where she was last "pinged" is bc the cell tower is in VA. In Roanoke County. So they have "jurisdiction" in that instance.

Thanks to all again.

Thanks dr. Just curious, after all the calls Caliope made, has MC or yourself contacted State Police about the cell records or are you still working with the sergeant and detective in obtaining them? I don't know if she would have made any phone calls past 11pm that night, but??
We're coming up on 8 weeks - surely they are not still thinking that she just had to "get away". I know you're in close contact with MC, how is bf? Did he think Joan ever would have tried to go see him, surprise him?

The husband is computer illiterate. Doesn't even know how to cut one on. So he DOES NOT have a computer. Joan didn't have one either. The only one she had access to was the one at work. And yes, she worked locally. Within 10-15 miles of her home. Yes, the home the husband lives in is still Joan's house. Her name is still on the deed, loan, etc. Her mailing address is still listed as the house....so nothing has changed with that. LE did a search of the home which consisted of looking in all the rooms, closets, etc. Nothing was seized from the home...just the basic look around was done.

MC only got the latest information bc he called the detective 3 times. the husband didn't even have the information of the flyover results. The ONLY information I was given about the flyover was detailed in the email I attached in an earlier post. Mr. Detective has yet to return my mother's phone calls. Frustrating? Absolutely.

The cell phone records have NOT been pulled. They are stored in CA. Roanoke County has no jurisdiction....so they have to contact LE in CA to get someone there to "do the work for them". IE...get a court order to access the records and then give that information to Roanoke County. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. But what can I do?

The only way they were able to access her cell phone and find out where she was last "pinged" is bc the cell tower is in VA. In Roanoke County. So they have "jurisdiction" in that instance.

Thanks to all again.
BBM

The people I spoke with told me that wireless companies will honor a court order / subpoena for records and it does not have to be from LE in their area. They made it very clear they would honor this even if from another state than where their records are kept.

The LE officer - says the know where Joan's cell phone pinged... Then they have access to her cell phone records...

Ah of course! But what then is he talking about?

Sounds like some BS run around story if you ask me... Looks like the family needs to get a lawyer or go before the courts. I think it may be possible that someone in the family (or someone appointed by the family) needs to be appointed guardian over Joan and Joan's affairs...

Legally - since Joan is still married her husband is her next of kin...and legally and formally LE doesn't have to share info with anyone that they choose not to.

Just something for us to toss around...and think about. If Joan and the BF had no intention of meeting until the following Friday, why did she leave her daughter? Doesn't make sense.....and is unbelievable. Mr Detective, today, said it was his "gut feeling" that not all of the information has been told by those previously interviewed (husband, BF and GF). So....the BF...how do we know that he didn't do something to her or HELP HER GO SOMEWHERE....he had 4 days to "cover it up" or 4 days to help her get away. Joan hated her name...she told my mother that two weeks before she went missing. The BF ... since Aug 2008 has referred to her as "Renee" (her middle name). She hated the name "Joan". Mr. Detective has said that this is typical of persons wanting a new identity. Mr. Det was also very interested in the timeline that the girlfriend last talked to joan. Apparently, the GF has told Mr. Det something other than what she told me and my mother about the last time she spoke or had contact with Joan.

Mr. Det said they have received her cell records that show only numbers. Nu8mbers she called and received. She spoke with the BF several times the evening of Jan 24th from what the records show. She went missing on the 25th. (I know...the last I heard 5 days ago...they couldn't get the cell records. But mysteriously...this information comes out from Mr. Det). Do I trust this Det? I would love to see these records and call every single number on the list!

They now have another detective searching her hard drive from work (apparently the detective handling the case can't do this per protocal...)...still waiting on the email records. mr. Det said the responding companies (Yahoo, gmail, etc) has 10 business days to get the info to the requestor. Today was day 9.

Mr. Det is also reviewing a video from a "store" from Jan 24-25 from Wildwood Rd to see if there is any info he can obtain from that.

Thanks again to all.....I appreciate all of you!

That's just crazy. I agree with MBL... if there's any way you can swing it, get a lawyer.

Just something for us to toss around...and think about. If Joan and the BF had no intention of meeting until the following Friday, why did she leave her daughter? Doesn't make sense.....and is unbelievable.

I agree - something about that doesn't sound right. Why would she have left her daughter if the BF was "away". She couldn't be with him. I can understand that maybe Joan didn't want to be around her husband and that would account for her wanting to get away - at least from him.

Other reasons she may have wanted to leave: Threatened - didn't feel safe - was asked to leave - fighting

Maybe I've missed this and apologize if it's already been discussed. Does MC work? Or is he at home 24/7. Did MC have anyone supervise Joan's visits with the child when he wasn't around?

Mr Detective, today, said it was his "gut feeling" that not all of the information has been told by those previously interviewed (husband, BF and GF).

ITA

If MC knew what the plans of Joan's BF was (being out of town). He knew that Joan would not be "missing" - since she didn't have a job. Who was going to be looking for her?

I would hope the BF's story has been verified with receipts/plane tickets/hotel rooms, etc. that he was not here when Joan went missing. Has the BF given permission for his cell phone account to be accessed to see where his phone was pinging?

So....the BF...how do we know that he didn't do something to her or HELP HER GO SOMEWHERE....he had 4 days to "cover it up" or 4 days to help her get away.

True - but if he's helping her to get away is he also supporting her? Playing Devil's Advocate here... It would be hard to do this without some kind of paper trail and a lot of expense. Where would she be staying? With some of his friends? At a motel? Are they using disposable/throw away phones to communicate? Who is paying for her meals? Is she working somewhere? How is she getting around wherever she is?

And what would the BF have to gain from this scenario? And how would Joan cope not being able to see her daughter?

Joan hated her name...she told my mother that two weeks before she went missing. The BF ... since Aug 2008 has referred to her as "Renee" (her middle name). She hated the name "Joan". Mr. Detective has said that this is typical of persons wanting a new identity.

I hate my first name too...and am not fond of my middle name either...but it has never caused me to want to change my identity or to seek a new name. I have several friends that also go by their middle names... It may be possible that Mr. Det. is right...but somehow I doubt it. At lease she liked the name Renee and just because she decides to use that doesn't mean anything.

Mr. Det was also very interested in the timeline that the girlfriend last talked to joan. Apparently, the GF has told Mr. Det something other than what she told me and my mother about the last time she spoke or had contact with Joan.

I'm sorry...I'm lost (have been on a staggering amount of pain meds for the past several days)... This GF...who is she? GF of MC or GF of Joan?

Mr. Det said they have received her cell records that show only numbers. Nu8mbers she called and received. She spoke with the BF several times the evening of Jan 24th from what the records show. She went missing on the 25th. (I know...the last I heard 5 days ago...they couldn't get the cell records. But mysteriously...this information comes out from Mr. Det). Do I trust this Det? I would love to see these records and call every single number on the list!

Sounds like a bit of game playing going on with Mr. Det. I'd def. make a call to the VA State Police...

They now have another detective searching her hard drive from work (apparently the detective handling the case can't do this per protocal...)...still waiting on the email records. mr. Det said the responding companies (Yahoo, gmail, etc) has 10 business days to get the info to the requestor. Today was day 9.

Mr. Det is also reviewing a video from a "store" from Jan 24-25 from Wildwood Rd to see if there is any info he can obtain from that.

Thanks again to all.....I appreciate all of you!

Let's hope something turns up on the computer. Mr. Det. probably doesn't have the ability to forensically examine the computer and this is why someone else from the dept. is doing it.

Thank you for sharing your information with us! I hope this situation will be resolved soon and in favor of Joan.

I would hope the BF's story has been verified with receipts/plane tickets/hotel rooms, etc. that he was not here when Joan went missing. Has the BF given permission for his cell phone account to be accessed to see where his phone was pinging?

I would hope so too ! That's my question - where was he, are we sure he WAS there? How far away? Cell phone towers in that area checked to ensure that atleast his cell was there? These answers can only be answered by LE. BF will not communicate with family. Additionally, there is evidence that bf has a history of isolating his gf's from their families and friends....what does LE know about this? I think there is a big gap in information as LE talks with MC (husband) and JC's sister and mother while also talking with BF and GF(GF is JCs best friend that helped her get around, supported her relationship with bf). The two separate parties do not communicate, so the family does not know what LE knows. dr - please ensure LE knows about bf's past and what the implications are with the letter JC received.

I'm sorry...I'm lost (have been on a staggering amount of pain meds for the past several days)... This GF...who is she? GF of MC or GF of Joan?

GF is person who's house JC would go to after leaving her home on many Sunday nights. Also was one of the few people remaining in her life since the BF came on scene. Very concerned that she is not offering more help to JCs family and seems to be in more support of BF. ALSO - LE has reported that her cell phone was last known to be within two miles of the Holiday Inn on the last Salem exit, and that JCs home is within that range (1 mile)....if JC walked to GFs house, wouldn't her home also be within that range -- could she have been at GFs house after all at 5am ?????? That's still the big question - where was she from 11pm to 5am ? Seems simple to me that she went to where she typically went - the GFs house. And never heard from again, as far as we know. I wonder if GF was also subjected to lie detector test as was MC and the bf....she obviously is holding back info and now the detective is aware of it.

ETA - If JC did *agree* to disappear or go somewhere to start over (not likely - IMO) GF could easily have replied with text message at 5am while JC was 6 hours down the road somewhere. Did bf ever contact gf? Especially the week he couldn't get hold of her while he was out of town? If he couldn't reach her, did he contact gf to see if JC was with her? That's what I'd be doing if I was out of town and couldn't reach my hubby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back